*Unofficial* Mitsubishi HC3800 Thread - Page 214 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-21-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 696
I also have the original firmware. FWIW, mine seems to shut down only when the input signal changes resolution several times quickly in a row. I just set the BDP player (Sony BDP-S590) to output a fixed resolution and the problem hasn't happened since. If you use the projector to watch multiple sources and you send your video through an AVR which includes a video processor, you could set a fixed resolution there.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
I do both the intake and exhaust.
I was lucky to have what appeared to be a spider web in the mirror/lens area. Lucky because when the smaller 2 amp shop vac was sucking the vents, the web would flutter. With the projector on, the web would only flutter when the hose was sucking on the top and center of the right (viewing from back) intake vent. The most efficient air flow (measured by the speed of the flutter) was achieved by sucking that area and with my other hand blocking as much the vent toward the back of the projector as possible. No other spot or hand placement created air flow enough to cause the web to flutter even a little bit. If I had three hands and covered the vent toward the front also, it may have been better, I will never know. It took 15 minutes of sucking the first day and 30 seconds the next day for the web to come loose.

Edit: I should mention the projector is ceiling mounted and left/right, top/bottom were be referred to in this position.

Last edited by rfred; 12-22-2014 at 05:13 AM. Reason: added information
Old 12-22-2014, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 42
As for the dust blob issues some have had....

I used to blow out the projector with compressed air until it caused me to have the dust blob issues. Anymore I just vacuum all the vents gently and do nothing of the such when I'm changing the lamp - I DO NOT CLEAN THE LAMP AREA. It seems the more I touch things the worse they get in regards to the dust issues.

As for the guy that purchased the manual and hopefully figured out how to get rid of his dust issues, please do tell us. There is nothing illegal about sharing your knowledge with others. Just don't read it word for word from a publication and you'll be fine. Please do share in what you have learned. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2014, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjquinn View Post
Update: I downloaded the service manual from <link deleted for posting>. Cost me $10, but the place seems legit enough. Took the suggestion of another forumer and used PayPal but changed password temporarily immediately before and after purchase.

Anyway, I have no knowledge of the legality of sharing this type of thing -- not sure that this place that charged me $10 actually has any distribution rights, so perhaps they had no right to sell it to me and I shouldn't have a copy of it in the first place. Or perhaps they're just hoping a few idiots will pay them $10 for something that ought to be freely available. Anyway, if it's *legal* for me to do so, I would be willing to share the service manual with anyone who needs it. I'll have to defer to wiser posters on whether it is in fact legal or not.
You must have bought the last digital copy they had. The link is dead now.

My projector took a surge when our cable line got hit by lightning. Now we are getting the Power red/green blink and status green blink. The user manual says "Call your dealer." Since Mitsubishi is out of the projector business, I don't know who to call.

When we power it on, the lamp illuminates, but within 30 seconds it shuts down and the lights begin blinking.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
So I was part of the first batch buyers from 2009 who received the models that shutdown randomly. I know it's fixed by a firmware update which requires you to send the projector back to Mitsubishi. I never got around doing that, since I haven't used my projector much (I'm still on the first lamp). Is it too late to send them back now, since it's way past the warranty? Can I also do this myself?
It's not necessarily 'just' a firmware update (depends on the serial #'s I think). FWIR, there was some hardware change to a circuit board too.

You can NOT do it yourself.

Can still probably be updated, but you'll have to pay, though they can probably give you a fixed price quote (since this was a known problem) vs the hourly rate that could get out of control....
Old 01-12-2015, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post
As for the dust blob issues some have had....

I used to blow out the projector with compressed air until it caused me to have the dust blob issues. Anymore I just vacuum all the vents gently and do nothing of the such when I'm changing the lamp - I DO NOT CLEAN THE LAMP AREA. It seems the more I touch things the worse they get in regards to the dust issues.

As for the guy that purchased the manual and hopefully figured out how to get rid of his dust issues, please do tell us. There is nothing illegal about sharing your knowledge with others. Just don't read it word for word from a publication and you'll be fine. Please do share in what you have learned. Thanks!
*sigh*. I *may* have fixed the dust issues, but now I can't even find out. I finally got around to taking the thing apart. First of all, this is not a simple process. I'm a computer guy, but this isn't like fixing a computer. It's harder than fixing a desktop in the same way that fixing a laptop or a cell phone is harder than a desktop, but it's a degree worse than that. Upside is that I had the service manual. I wouldn't recommend you try this without the service manual unless you *really* feel confident in your skills on this type of thing. Unfortunately, the service manual stops telling you how to take the thing apart when you get to the optical mechanisms, so you have to start guessing at that point.

Anyway, I got the optical mechanism out, including the color wheel and motor. Once I took parts off the projector, I went crazy with the compressed air. What difference does it make with this point, especially if I've gotten these parts away from the optics. I cleaned off the color wheel with a microfiber cloth. I know that might have been a bad idea, but it was really dirty and compressed air was not taking care of it. When the projector is completely assembled, the color wheel is right behind where the lamp focuses the light. There's a dime-sized hole in the area that contains the lamp housing where the light goes through, and the color wheel sits a couple millimeters behind this hole. This is where the dust gets through.

Past the color wheel, there's a small squared tube with mirrors on all four sides on the inside. Completely covered with dust. I *think* this is where the dust was that was causing my problem. Not sure if I got it all out, but I got pretty aggressive about it. First of all, you'll want to detach this tube before working on it, since trying to spew compressed air through it won't help and it might just get dust further down the optical path. The tube actually comes off (be careful, it's clipped down, I kinda had to work it for a little bit). Anyway, I got it out and shot compressed air through it, which didn't completely clean it. It likes to get dust stuck down in the corners where the 4 mirrors come together. I cut a small piece of microfiber cloth and ran it through the tube multiple times. This seemed to get nearly all of it, but a few stubborn dust particles nudged in those corners. After trying to dislodge those to no avail, I finally gave up and decided to put it all back together and see if it was at least better.

I also removed the black cap that covers the first two lenses. I would recommend caution here. I *think* that the 2nd, larger lens is completely sealed, or if not then it's really close to completely sealed. This means that whatever damage you've done with dust, it probably stopped at the 2nd, larger, deeper lens. This is good for multiple reasons. One of which is that so far I can't figure out how to disassemble the main optical mechanism, and I'd like to not have to do that if I can get away with it. Perhaps all the damage was further up the line than that. But here's the warning -- first of all, once you remove the black cap, your seal is gone, and now dust can potentially get further into the optical mechanism. There's a hole past the 2nd lens into the main body which is sealed because of the lens and the black cap. Dust gets in there, and you've got to take that apart too. There are no instructions in the service manual, and I can't help you either. Anyway, I went ahead and removed the black cap and the two lenses before I knew what it looked like, and cleaned those with a microfiber cloth as well, and tried to carefully eliminate any dust sitting in this part of the light path. Unfortunately, I sat the black cap back down on the small posts it sits on incorrectly and it put pressure on the larger lens and actually ground part of the bottom of it down. Not sure this will have any optical effect since the hole into the main body is much smaller than the lens, but it did add a little *glass dust* to the area (geez!), which I cleaned out and then put the optical assembly back together, and then put everything else back together.

Of course, when I put the final screw back in to attach the outer plastic projector case back to the base of the projector, I pinched the small flat orange ribbon that goes to the color wheel assembly. I pinched it pretty bad, but when flattened back out there weren't any cuts or anything, though it's possible I broke a connection internally in that ribbon somewhere. Anyway, after resolving that, I fired up the projector.

Projector turns on, I can see that the lamp turns on for several seconds (but nothing out the front lens) and the side fans start running, then *something* whirs up for 2-3 seconds (could be imagining things, but this whir sounded louder and harsher than I remember), then whirs down. Then I get a red light with a green light flashing twice (repeating). Manual says that this means I have a damaged lamp, but that's unlikely, as the same lamp worked before I took everything apart. Seems more likely that I broke something. Anyway, I took it all apart back down to the optical assembly to see if the orange ribbon had gotten pulled into the way of the color wheel motor spinning (was that the source of the whirring sound? perhaps the small fan attached close to there?), which I thought might have been a problem, but I taped it down out of the way and put everything back together and had the same problem. Not exactly sure *what* is making the whirring sound, but it's not one of the larger intake/exhaust fans on the sides of the projector. There really aren't very many moving parts in there, and a "whirring" sound basically has to be coming from a moving part. There's the side fans (that's not it), the color wheel motor (doesn't appear to be it, and it sounded way too loud for that anyway), or the small fan that's attached to the optical assembly when you remove it from the projector. I think that's all. Perhaps that last one is it. I'll try again tonight, maybe I got something lodged in that fan (might explain the additional noise) and it's detecting the issue and shutting down before the system overheats or something. Not too hopeful, though. I think I blew it up. Hopefully at least someone else can learn from my errors.

Last edited by bjquinn; 01-12-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:30 AM

Wow Bjquinn, what a story! I feel for ya.

My first projector was this big white Optoma 720P from like 2007. Just before it died it too made this whirling / grinding sound upon fire up - if it fired up. The safety features kept trying to shut it down and I kept turning it back on. And if / when it came on, it lasted a few minutes working, but then would start a grinding / whirling sound and then shut down, until.... It shut down for good. The last time it made a grinding / whirling sound and then a "pop" and then that's all she wrote. It was dead.

Upon inspection, the color wheel had actually cracked and a chunk broke off with tiny glass particles now inside it. Bulb was fine. And get this, I had just purchased the $350 bulb within the last 30 days! Anyhow, describing the issue over the phone, Optoma told me it was the light engine and that the cost to fix starts at about $1100 - I deemed it totaled at that cost to fix and ordered a true throwaway to replace it (my 3800 Mits). As such, I decided to take apart my $4500+ Optoma paperweight just to see and maybe learn something. WOW! Not for the timid.

I have no doubt what you're feeling having looked into that abyss and I smile with compassion when I say this, I doubt she'll work again. I hope she does, but would be more surprised if it did than if it didn't. I don't know though. I don't have the computer tech experience either, so maybe... Good luck with it and (here's the real reason I wanted to reply) if you can't get it going, at about $1200 new, the 3800 Mits really was / is a throwaway projector and not a repair projector. After my $4500+ Optoma died on me just after the warranty ran out, I vowed to never again spend so much on an electronic. To buy throwaways from here on out. And a throwaway in my book is simply an electronic at a purchase price point that dictates it's cheaper to replace it than to repair it when the warranty runs out. You know, the American way. lol

It was pretty educational though taking the old Optama apart. The wife asked me why I was sitting there on the floor taking apart my $4500+ projector that was not worth fixing as new better projectors cost what it cost to fix this one. My reply was simply "Because I can't bring myself to thow this $4500+ device in the trash until I am sure she'll never work again".

I keep some of the lenses around until this day and use them as magnifying glasses.

Last edited by mp06011999; 01-13-2015 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Hmm, interesting autopsy. I had a similar thing happen to my old Optoma, which I sold to a friend. He got 4 years out of it though and it was originally in the throw away price range. I have been on a 3 year replacement plan, I went from 800x600 to 720p and lastly to the 3800. I expected led DLP to be here long ago, but for no apparent reason 1080p versions aren't reasonably priced. I guess I'll just wait for inexpensive 4k and enjoy the Mitsubishi until it dies!
Old 01-13-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Hmm, interesting autopsy. I had a similar thing happen to my old Optoma, which I sold to a friend. He got 4 years out of it though and it was originally in the throw away price range. I have been on a 3 year replacement plan, I went from 800x600 to 720p and lastly to the 3800. I expected led DLP to be here long ago, but for no apparent reason 1080p versions aren't reasonably priced. I guess I'll just wait for inexpensive 4k and enjoy the Mitsubishi until it dies!
+1

What's up with the LED DLP delay, right? I was hoping for the same thing hoping they'd have enough "lumens" by now to push a 144 inch HT image. Nothing yet....

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc3800 1080p Home Theater Dlp Projector