*Unofficial* Mitsubishi HC3800 Thread - Page 215 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #6421 of 6427 Old 02-08-2016, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Mine's projecting a 144 inch image and I run mine on standard all the time. Another I installed for someone is projecting a 135 inch image and they too are running on standard. Eco mode is too dim for our tastes at those sizes. And even at that, still not bright enough given what TVs are doing these days. Just not ready yet to plop down 2 grand for an upgrade...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6422 of 6427 Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 139
What you guys have experienced is the same for me my HC3800. It just wasn't bright enough anymore. sure new lamps help but in low lamp mode even when new it was OK for BD or DVD, but things like sports it just doesn't have the pop, brightness and clarity of displays today. Sure 6 years ago it was fine, but now it just can't compare. Today's displays are so much sharper, clearer, brighter and display colors that pop so much more due to higher contrast. In high lamp it was brighter, but just too loud for me.

I finally broke down and bought the VPL-HS40ES. The contrast is something like 120,000:1 and it's calibrated true lumen is like 1700 in high and 1300 in low. I think the HC3800 is 25dB in low lamp mode and the 40ES is only 21dB in high lamp mode so it's inaudible 4 ft over my head in low. The 40ES is razor sharp, so clear it disgusting, so bright, and the colors and picture are just so far ahead of the HC3800.

I love the HC3800 and man trust me I hated dropping nearly 2K on a new projector. I had to make that choice we all make at some point. Put another lamp in something that at the time rivaled the best out there for 2k, but after 6 years just didn't impress me anymore due to technology having surpassed it's picture quality or bite the bullet.

I should mention that the HC3800 has features that I really miss like the weight. At just over 6lbs I could take it down and mount it myself, a lamp on the top so you didn't have to take it down to replace it, and no filter to clean every 700 or so hours. The 40ES is 22lbs so it's heavy. I can't mount it alone because it's so large and heavy you just don't want to risk dropping it while mounting it. Also the lamp is on the bottom so again it has to come down and the same for the filter.

I wish Mitsubishi didn't stop making projectors. I think they would have had a killer one at the right price as an HC3880/4000 replacement.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #6423 of 6427 Old Today, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Yup, according to the wire cutter, you made a good choice! Luckily not many of my friends have projectors to give me envy. 2 have the 1070 and I haven't even seen them.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the...-home-theater/

If your room’s measurements fit the bill and you want the best picture quality for your home, we heartily recommend the Sony VPL-HW40ES. After testing five leading models in the same price range, our projector guru Geoff Morrison writes that the Sony offers the best combination of performance and price, with lens features that make it easy to install and very low operational noise (which is great if you have a small room and the projector is mounted above your head). He also notes that “The HW40ES is one of the best projectors in its class at color accuracy.” In fact, at its current price, it’s even cheaper than our runner-up pick, the Epson 5030.
post #6424 of 6427 Old Today, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah the 40ES is a real winner, but I do miss the HC3800. Before the HC3800 I had a Sanyo PLV-Z2 and then a Mitsubishi HC1500. I really like the Mitsubishi projectors and DLP with no filter to clean. The HC3800 was just rock solid for 6 years with no signs of quitting. I put three lamps in it and changed the first two around 4000 hours and had 1500 on the last one. So at nearly 10,000 hours it's still going strong with no noise from the color wheel and not a single problem in all those years. Just a great solid projector. When I got it I figured I'd have it 2 years, but 6 years later it's still going strong.

post #6425 of 6427 Old Today, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Yeah the 40ES is a real winner, but I do miss the HC3800. Before the HC3800 I had a Sanyo PLV-Z2 and then a Mitsubishi HC1500. I really like the Mitsubishi projectors and DLP with no filter to clean. The HC3800 was just rock solid for 6 years with no signs of quitting. I put three lamps in it and changed the first two around 4000 hours and had 1500 on the last one. So at nearly 10,000 hours it's still going strong with no noise from the color wheel and not a single problem in all those years. Just a great solid projector. When I got it I figured I'd have it 2 years, but 6 years later it's still going strong.

I have 3,300 hours on my HC3800, and was wondering if I should put my spare bulb in.

When you changed yours at 4000 hours, was there a huge brightness jump?

Thanks.
post #6426 of 6427 Old Today, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
I have 3,300 hours on my HC3800, and was wondering if I should put my spare bulb in.

When you changed yours at 4000 hours, was there a huge brightness jump?

Thanks.
Yes I did notice a big jump in brightness and the colors popped again too. The new lamp did wonders for colors and brightness. The new lamp brought that wow factor back again.

post #6427 of 6427 Old Today, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc3800 1080p Home Theater Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread