*Unofficial* Mitsubishi HC3800 Thread - Page 216 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #6451 of 6460 Old 02-27-2016, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Yeah, that appears to be the fate of my old optoma that a friend bought. Moving parts and bulbs are not your friend. That was only $1,000 though, maybe less.

The problem with the sony is now I have the upgrade bug, but don't want to pay that much...
Same here buddy. I currently have the wife watching the old 3800 and told her if she sees any issues whatsoever to let me know asap so I can hit "purchase now" on the Sony.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6452 of 6460 Old 02-29-2016, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post
Thanks Gregory. I've been reading the reviews, including wirecutter.

I know Legairre from way back when. Probably from this thread from 2009 with all that researching. Funny thing about less options now is less research. There were so many more options back then. No one would even consider buying a near 2 year old projector to get one of the best. Sad how things have really stalled on projectors.

The 3800 was a great deal at only $1300 for the best in class at the time. I'm not a fan of spending $2000 for another BULBed projector, but what ya gonna do. I am getting excited though. Gonna head over to the 40ES threads and see what's up.

Heads up, my first projector was over $4500 Optoma. Never again. Never gonna spend that much again and NEVER Optoma again. It died (color wheel exploded) like 6 months past the warranty, forever deterring me from that brand at any price.
Yeah seems like you and I have been in and out of this thread forever. Actually I remember Gregory Perkins in this thread too from back in the day.

Man I couldn't be happier. I have the 40ES paired with a Darbee Darblet 5000S (had the Darblet with the HC3800 for a few days before getting the 40ES), but even with the Darblet turned off the 40ES is a huge upgrade over the HC3800. I was worried that the 40ES would just be a marginal improvement, but even after a month I'm still surprised at the colors that just plain pop, the brightness even on low lamp, the level of detail and clarity in the picture and how quiet it is even in high lamp mode.

There's not a single area that the the 40ES doesn't easily best the HC3800 as long as you have all the settings correct, because unlike the HC3800 there are several setting in the menu you have to get set right for the best picture.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #6453 of 6460 Old 02-29-2016, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Yeah seems like you and I have been in and out of this thread forever. Actually I remember Gregory Perkins in this thread too from back in the day.

Man I couldn't be happier. I have the 40ES paired with a Darbee Darblet 5000S (had the Darblet with the HC3800 for a few days before getting the 40ES), but even with the Darblet turned off the 40ES is a huge upgrade over the HC3800. I was worried that the 40ES would just be a marginal improvement, but even after a month I'm still surprised at the colors that just plain pop, the brightness even on low lamp, the level of detail and clarity in the picture and how quiet it is even in high lamp mode.

There's not a single area that the the 40ES doesn't easily best the HC3800 as long as you have all the settings correct, because unlike the HC3800 there are several setting in the menu you have to get set right for the best picture.
Yeah, I was one of the poor saps that had their projector die in the first year. The one I have is the Mitsubishi replacement.

I am so tempted to get the Sony, but I keep telling myself to hold out for HDR. I wonder if they will ever make a 2k projector that understands hdr/4k content? I don't need the 4k resolution/price, but I do want hdr.
post #6454 of 6460 Old 03-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

Thanks buddy - that good news is promising. I've had a Darbee for a few years - when the 3800 first started to no longer impress me. Then I discovered I needed glasses. No kidding! lol

I'm sure we'll be in this forum for awhile longer. We are "tweekers" and that has nothing to do with drugs. ;-)
post #6455 of 6460 Old 03-01-2016, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post
Thanks buddy - that good news is promising. I've had a Darbee for a few years - when the 3800 first started to no longer impress me. Then I discovered I needed glasses. No kidding! lol

I'm sure we'll be in this forum for awhile longer. We are "tweekers" and that has nothing to do with drugs. ;-)
The same thing happened to me. I was wondering why my projector wouldn't focus properly !! I had reading glasses at the time, but I needed to get glasses for distance also.
post #6456 of 6460 Old 03-03-2016, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
The same thing happened to me. I was wondering why my projector wouldn't focus properly !! I had reading glasses at the time, but I needed to get glasses for distance also.
That's the really silly part for me. I can see under arms length just fine, but fuzzy after that...and didn't know it. Too funny!
post #6457 of 6460 Old 04-17-2016, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi everyone, its me again.

So my Hc3800 Flickering issue is back, this time cleaning it did not fix it. I am fearing the worse, that the color wheel bearing are bad. I been looking for a place to repair it in Vancouver B.C. with no such luck. I am wondering if i should send it to Mitsubishi for repairs, or keep trying to find a place to fix it, Wondering if its worth fixing. I been looking online on prices for a color wheel repair, and I feel i could get a new projector for those prices. I could use some great advice.
post #6458 of 6460 Old 04-18-2016, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My color wheel went out last month (RIP), it was flickering and then it started sounding like a mini generator and then it stopped. I recently last year had it fixed for $400 this time the price of a new one and the way technology has advanced since the 3800 debuted, fixing it makes no sense anymore.

I personally went with a Optoma HD26 ($600) and couldn't be happier, compared to the HC3800, better color, brighter and longer lamp life
post #6459 of 6460 Old 04-18-2016, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Agreed. Tech has really advanced. Got my Sony Vpl-40ES about a month ago and just loving it!

When I get a minute, think I'm gonna throw my HC3800 on craigslist. They seem to be selling for $400 to $650. I'm gonna throw it on there for $250 for a quick sale. It can still make somebody happy. Someone that isn't going over about 120 inches and who doesn't want to spend the money (or can't) for a new one.

Btw, every flickering I ever got was always fixed with a new lamp. The lamp that's in it now is fine, but with about 1400 hours on it, iirc.
post #6460 of 6460 Old 04-18-2016, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you all for the replies. Guess its time for a new projector, I will take your suggestion into account.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc3800 1080p Home Theater Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread