*Unofficial* Mitsubishi HC3800 Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seems that more and more we have become "Beta testers" for very expensive toys in a extremely competitive world.
That being said, if the brightness of the HC3800 is better than the HD1000U, I do plan to buy one, after they get bugs out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 10:06 AM
tsj

d3code,

I hope your friend i pretty sure about what he is talking about, otherwise this is a bad rumor to start. If this is true then im a p...... of. I need to contact my authorized mits dealer to get his opinion. Is this only the case for the netherlands?
post #723 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

The two of you with shutdown issues can try to run a fan aimed at the intake of the unit for added cooling and see if it still shuts down, this might assist mitsu troubleshoot a bit faster if you can help narrow down the reason for the random shut down(s).

Sorry to hear about the issue, something like this can take all the fun out of a new PJ .

Jason

I'm pretty sure it's not a cooling issue. I have good air circulation around the projector. Since it is ceiling mounted and takes 1.5 hours to shutdown, I don't think that I will be able to try your suggestion. Thanks, though.

"What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful portable picnic players."
post #724 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaptive View Post

No shutdowns for me in the past 5-6 hours of viewing, between two units.

I think you may be the only person posting without the problem... Is your projector ceiling mounted? If it is a lamp cover problem, this may come into play. I have noticed that my lamp hour meter has not read 1HR yet?! Is your meter ticking off your usage?

"What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful portable picnic players."
post #725 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsj View Post

d3code,

I hope your friend i pretty sure about what he is talking about, otherwise this is a bad rumor to start. If this is true then im a p...... of. I need to contact my authorized mits dealer to get his opinion. Is this only the case for the netherlands?

Ditto!

tsj, has your lamp hour meter started ticking up yet? I have used the projector for over 4 hours, and I still have 0HR reading on the meter!?!

post #726 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by f300v10 View Post

Well that's not quite correct either. I own a W5000, and I can get around 10% offset at the maximum lens shift. The spec says 120% lens shift, but that is calculated vs. half height of the picture, which corresponds to a 10% offset. Much less than the HC3800 for sure, but enough that I was able to swap out my HC3000 for the W5000 without to much trouble.

Well, that's a W5000, not a W20000. I know these are suppose to basically be the same projectors, but with a different chip---but the chip/size effects the offset/lens shift. Again, I did mention there were conflicting reports on what offset, if any, the W20000 has.

Anyway, this is what Art from projector reviews says about the W20000>

http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq/w20000/index.php

"The vertical lens shift has a 0 offset. Translated, that means that you may place the projector (vertically) from even with the top of your screen surface, to even with the bottom of your screen surface (and anywhere in between). That's a good amount of range, although not quite as much as most 3LCD projectors, it is a major improvement over competing DLP projectors, which have no lens shift at all!"

post #727 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

i contacted my friend at mitsubishi and he told me the first batch of HC3800 projectors that shipped in the Netherlands are the pre-sale units. ( so units that only should be sold to companies that will show it to customers, but should not be sold to customers ) however he told me the next shipment to arive late november should be the first batch of projectors that are final.

anyway he gave me an address to check out this projector but he advised to me dont buy any of them until second shipment. so made an appointment and going to check it out Wednesday.

If this is true, I guess this tells us to wait until we exchange our defective units!

post #728 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcottle View Post

The projector central review says the offset is 29%, but Mitsubishi's projector calculator shows this to be 33%.

For those of you who have this projector, does Mitsubishi's calculator give the correct results?

An offset of 29% would work much better for many people.

I have found the offset to be less than the Mitsubishi calculator... It seems to be exactly the same as the HD1000U, which also had an offset that was little less than the calculator's suggested value. So the 29% value seems reasonable.

post #729 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 01:27 PM
tsj

KilgoreT,

0 hours here to!! Maybe we should try to take out the lamp and reinstall to see if it just a question of a poorly installed lamp?
post #730 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Probably a dumb question, but Auto Power Off is set to Off in the Installation menu right? Thought maybe Mitsu set it to on by default.

Also what color are the lights when it powers itself off? According to the manual blinking orange means a ventilation issue and steady red means a lamp problem.

On page 30 of the manual it says the lamp hours will read "0H" until you hit 10 hours. Then it will display normally.

From page 30
Quote:

When the lamp operating time is 0 to 10 hours, “0H” is displayed. The lamp
operating time exceeding 10 hours is indicated by the actual hours.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #731 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 01:59 PM
tsj

Auto power is off, but thanks for the tip.

The lights indicate cover problem. Red and green flashing power indicator.
post #732 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:

Adaptive,

Does this mean you have never had shutdowns?

Never. I've watched 10+ hours now. No shutdowns.
post #733 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreT View Post

I think you may be the only person posting without the problem... Is your projector ceiling mounted? If it is a lamp cover problem, this may come into play. I have noticed that my lamp hour meter has not read 1HR yet?! Is your meter ticking off your usage?

Lamp Time: 13h (the other one I sent back to the big A for a hairline scratch on the lens that didn't really effect the image had 1h on it)

No shutdowns. I had the projector on all day, both low lamp and standard mode.

I have had mounted on the floor (carpet) and some boxes. I am waiting on my ceiling mount. I haven't taken off the scratch-protection plastic yet, but it doesn't cover the vents.

Are all of you people with the problems the ones who ordered from the store with the ProV?

The only issue I've noticed with mine is that with max zoom the absolute margin of the corner is "slightly" (2-5%) less sharp then the very center of the image, but I really have to go up to about 1ft away to notice (I'm pretty OCD so I notice these things). I would guess 99% people wouldn't notice, and the 1% won't care (me, the OCD person, included).

I am very happy with the projector so far, except I do wish the offset was perhaps less (but ceiling mount will work for me rather than a table mount). Still, it's an amazing projector if it works.

For people who haven't bought it yet, don't lose hope. There are always teething problems when products first come out. Buy from a good reseller!
post #734 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

That's a good question, I'd also be interested to know if everyone with the shutdown bought from Provantage?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #735 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 06:49 PM

Before we point a finger at a reseller (in which I've had good expierences) lets first consider the manufacturer.
post #736 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelike2 View Post

Before we point a finger at a reseller (in which I've had good expierences) lets first consider the manufacturer.

It's more a question of shipment batches than a reseller, but yes.
post #737 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes it could be a matter of defective batches from Mitsubishi. I'm not blaming a dealer. Heck I know the dealer doesn't make the projector, they only sell it. I'm asking to see if Provantage received a batch defective units.

post #738 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 09:37 PM

It is going to be my first projector. Even though i am quite conservative in my budget, HC3800 caught my attention with the advertised 5000 hrs lamp life. Is it reasonable to consider whether the projector will pay for the price difference when compared with the lower priced DLP models (from Optama, BenQ, Vivitek) over a period of time?
post #739 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 11:29 PM
tsj

No, my unit is not from provantage.
post #740 of 6368 Old 11-14-2009, 11:43 PM

Defective batch is much "wider", than from one reseller. On one of the boards in Poland we have two owners of HC-3800, one of them just report shutdown issue.

Edit: second guy's PJ has 42hrs, and no issue.

"...Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril..."
Don Quixote was a villain!
post #741 of 6368 Old 11-15-2009, 01:08 AM

OK... I may have stumbled upon the source of the shutdown problem.... No promises, since this may just be a fluke. I did two things tonight. A. Reseated the bulb and tightened the lamp housing screws a little tighter than the factory B. Ran the projector at the standard video refresh of 60Hz instead of 24fps. One of those two things seemed to have done the trick as I was able to watch two movies (~3.5 hours) with no shutdown.

So, I have to ask... those of you who have not had a shutdown problem, have you tried watching an entire 2 hour movie @ 24fps yet?

I will be testing this theory more tomorrow by watching a movie in 24fps... I'll let you know. You know, troubleshooting is not so bad when you get to watch movies.

By the way, I watched V for Vendetta tonight, and tested it at 24fps for a portion of the time. I did catch some rainbows for the first time with this projector. They only happened in one 3 second shot, but I thought I should report.

Oh, and I did not get my projector from Provantage, btw.

post #742 of 6368 Old 11-15-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaptive View Post

Lamp Time: 13h (the other one I sent back to the big A for a hairline scratch on the lens that didn't really effect the image had 1h on it)

No shutdowns. I had the projector on all day, both low lamp and standard mode.

I have had mounted on the floor (carpet) and some boxes. I am waiting on my ceiling mount. I haven't taken off the scratch-protection plastic yet, but it doesn't cover the vents.

Good to know... Thanks Adaptive! See my other post. I may have found the source of the shutdown trouble.

post #743 of 6368 Old 11-15-2009, 03:50 AM

Maye every owner of the HC3800 could post his serial number together with the information if he has the shutdown problem?

We might be able to narrow down the faulty batch, also as a valuable hint for future buyers....

Let's hope that it all comes down to that one guy in the Japanese factory who didn't tighten the lamp cover screws enough because he had a hangover
post #744 of 6368 Old 11-15-2009, 08:26 AM
tsj

I tried reinstalling the lamp and tightening the screws. Same problem. I fed the unit with 60 hz instead of 24 hz. It seemed to be more stable, with longer intervals (aprox 1 1/2 hours) between shutdowns, but still shutdowns. Furthermore 60 hz seem to give small glitches in the image once in a while, that i do not notice when runing 24 hz. Really annoying, because it throws one heck of a picture.
post #745 of 6368 Old 11-15-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:

I tried reinstalling the lamp and tightening the screws. Same problem. I fed the unit with 60 hz instead of 24 hz. It seemed to be more stable, with longer intervals (aprox 1 1/2 hours) between shutdowns, but still shutdowns. Furthermore 60 hz seem to give small glitches in the image once in a while, that i do not notice when runing 24 hz. Really annoying, because it throws one heck of a picture.

Yes... 24fps is definitely an important feature. I was hoping that reseating the lamp was the fix. My wife reported that she had it shutdown this morning after watching television for about 45 min., so there goes my theory.

Sorry, I really thought I found the culprit. Strange that I was able to run for 3.5hrs last night.

Has anyone contacted Mitsubishi yet? I haven't had the time.

post #746 of 6368 Old 11-15-2009, 09:29 AM

Just to chime in. I have not experienced any shutdowns. 30 hs on the lamp already.

I'm extremely happy with it so far. The image quality is astonishing.
post #747 of 6368 Old 11-15-2009, 10:05 AM
tsj

tannat,

Could you identify what firmware version you are running?
post #748 of 6368 Old 11-15-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

By the way, I watched V for Vendetta tonight, and tested it at 24fps for a portion of the time. I did catch some rainbows for the first time with this projector. They only happened in one 3 second shot, but I thought I should report.

Kilgore, what PJ did you have before? Maybe you posted a while back, I can't remember. Wondering if RBE is better or worse than your previous PJ?
post #749 of 6368 Old 11-15-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:

tannat,

Could you identify what firmware version you are running?

It should be on the bottom right?

I can't see it, my ladder is too low unfortunately.
post #750 of 6368 Old 11-15-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Yes... 24fps is definitely an important feature. I was hoping that reseating the lamp was the fix. My wife reported that she had it shutdown this morning after watching television for about 45 min., so there goes my theory.

Sorry, I really thought I found the culprit. Strange that I was able to run for 3.5hrs last night.

Has anyone contacted Mitsubishi yet? I haven't had the time.

You have time to watch a movie, but not to call Mitsubishi(for this major problem)?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc3800 1080p Home Theater Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - Hc3800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page