Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 6367 Old 11-23-2009, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrhomes View Post

I take it this PJ does 24FPS, and the shut down isn't related to people ruining their Blu-Rays at 24FPS, just a question.

What is the problem with running a Blu-ray @ 24fps? The shutdowns do seem more frequent when the projector is running in 24fps/48Hz mode.

"What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful portable picnic players."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 6367 Old 11-24-2009, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If Mits. doesn't solve this shutdown mystery soon, they're going to lose a lot of sales. I'm down to this and the Benq W1000, but I'm not going to wait forever.
post #903 of 6367 Old 11-24-2009, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

i have compared the HC3800 with the HC 6800 and the optema hd20 and the sony vpl 10.

and have to say that the HC3800 comes very close to the sony VPL 10. however the HC6800 is on a league of its own. much better detail / sharpness then the Hc 3800 or the sony vpl10 or the optema hd20.

however price wise the mitsubishi hc3800 is tough to beat. it is an excellent projector for that price.

again if you want this projector. wait till second shipment. one of those is for me as i ordered one as well
post #904 of 6367 Old 11-24-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_michael View Post

Hi, i got the answer of the dealer:

To change the length of the hdmi-cable you have to go to the Service Menu.

To open the Service Menu it should be this way (they told me on the phone):

Settings - Language - leave the cursor on your language - press Auto Position, Enter, Auto Position

Then you should enter the Service Menu and can change the cable length to maximum.

But be careful, and don't change anything else - it's the Service Menu... (everything you do you do it on your own risk)

As I don't have a HC3800 i couldn't test it.

So if you have problems, you should contact your dealer - he should know how to enter the service menu.

Good luck

Michael

anyone can confirm if this works? another question, would this step affect the warranty?
post #905 of 6367 Old 11-24-2009, 02:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

i have compared the HC3800 with the HC 6800 and the optema hd20 and the sony vpl 10.

and have to say that the HC3800 comes very close to the sony VPL 10. however the HC6800 is on a league of its own. much better detail / sharpness then the Hc 3800 or the sony vpl10 or the optema hd20

Nothing wrong with your observations (we all see things a bit different) but...
Your findings are the exact opposite of most everyone that has commented on viewing both the HC3800 and HC6800 at CEDIA (most agreed that the HC3800 was sharper and had more depth/pop to the image). I have seen the HC6800 recently and was not overly impressed with its sharpness (typical of 3LCD projectors which is not to imply it's bad, just not as sharp as a single chip DLP with a decent quality lens), I have yet to see the HC3800 however.

----------

Let the trials begin on the service menu HDMI setting, I sure hope that's the fix for everyone. Major thanks to happy_michael for his leg work and contribution!

Jason
post #906 of 6367 Old 11-24-2009, 04:27 AM

carricube, who posted message #872 has confirmed to me that he couldn't access the service menu with that instructions...

Let's see if the instructions are acurate or not...
post #907 of 6367 Old 11-24-2009, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

and have to say that the HC3800 comes very close to the sony VPL 10. however the HC6800 is on a league of its own. much better detail / sharpness then the Hc 3800 or the sony vpl10 or the optema hd20.

however price wise the mitsubishi hc3800 is tough to beat. it is an excellent projector for that price.

again if you want this projector. wait till second shipment. one of those is for me as i ordered one as well

D3........

The Mits 6800 had a "nicer" image but what about brightness? I do not think the 6800 puts out nearly as many lumens.... what was your experience?

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #908 of 6367 Old 11-24-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

HiHoStevo,

Not trying to answer for d3code but the 6800 does have higher lumen output than the 3800, now where they fall in place once at D65/6500k... .

Jason
post #909 of 6367 Old 11-24-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed82 View Post

anyone can confirm if this works? another question, would this step affect the warranty?

I can confirm that the "digital connection" setting is there, and I was able to change it. I am at work now, and I will let you know tonight after thorough testing, since it can take a while for a shutdown to occur.

"What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful portable picnic players."
post #910 of 6367 Old 11-24-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_michael View Post

Hi, i got the answer of the dealer:

To change the length of the hdmi-cable you have to go to the Service Menu.

To open the Service Menu it should be this way (they told me on the phone):

Settings - Language - leave the cursor on your language - press Auto Position, Enter, Auto Position

Then you should enter the Service Menu and can change the cable length to maximum.

But be careful, and don't change anything else - it's the Service Menu... (everything you do you do it on your own risk)

As I don't have a HC3800 i couldn't test it.

So if you have problems, you should contact your dealer - he should know how to enter the service menu.

Good luck

Michael

Thanks very much for this! I have been able to change the setting... I'll let everyone know if this helps tonight.

post #911 of 6367 Old 11-24-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king conan View Post

carricube, who posted message #872 has confirmed to me that he couldn't access the service menu with that instructions...

Let's see if the instructions are acurate or not...

Sorry King! My mistake! Yes, I've been able to change the lenght in the service menu... I couldn't access because I was pressing the buttons on the beamer, not the remote! Just the contrary of you have to do to get the firmware version...

But it's gonna be difficult for me to know if it works as I only had two shutdowns in 31 hours... cross your fingers everybody, wish us luck!!!
post #912 of 6367 Old 11-24-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreT View Post

Thanks very much for this! I have been able to change the setting... I'll let everyone know if this helps tonight.

Kilgore we are all anxiously awaiting your results.

A special thanks to every who has been trying to resolve this issue. I greatly appreciate what everyone has been doing.

Legairre

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #913 of 6367 Old 11-24-2009, 03:44 PM

@carricube:
I would like to know what kind of shutdowns you had?
Switched it only in Standby, or stop the cooling-fans also for a few seconds?

My replacement Unit works well now for over 12h
I prevent the HDMI-Switching problems by changing to S-Video and than back to HDMI
post #914 of 6367 Old 11-24-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

Kilgore we are all anxiously awaiting your results.

A special thanks to every who has been trying to resolve this issue. I greatly appreciate what everyone has been doing.

Legairre

Sorry for the bad news, but I asked my wife to run the projector while she was working at home today, and she just called to tell me that it shut down. Apparently, the HDMI cable length setting didn't fix the problem. I had high hopes, since the problem seems related to the input signal (in my case, 24Hz mode seems to trigger the problem much more frequently). I am now considering returning the projector instead of getting the lamp replaced (which seems like a red-herring to me). I have only until the 6th to return the projector for credit.

post #915 of 6367 Old 11-24-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulig67 View Post

My replacement Unit works well now for over 12h
I prevent the HDMI-Switching problems by changing to S-Video and than back to HDMI

Can you explain the HDMI-switching problems that you are avoiding with this technique? I am unaware of this problem.

post #916 of 6367 Old 11-24-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you explain the HDMI-switching problems that you are avoiding with this technique? I am unaware of this problem.

Kilgore read from here forward a few post and you'll see the dialog between myself and Ulig67 about the issue with his new 3800 http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post17588952

post #917 of 6367 Old 11-24-2009, 05:23 PM

I live in Europe and got interested in buying a projector during my trip to New York because of the weak dollar. The HC3800 sounded like the perfect choice: pure quality without pricey extra features most of which would be redundant anyway.

Anyway, turns out finding one in Manhattan isn't as easy as I thought. My vacation is almost over and I've tried everyplace I could think of: the big ones like B&H, J&R and Best Buy and every electronics/camera store I could find. Best I got were places which could order it for me, which by now is not an option.

I however found the Panny AE4000 for a price which would cost only a couple hundred dollars more than the HC3800 in Europe. Anyone have insight on how big is the difference? I have a gut feeling that the AE4000 is a little bloated compared to the HC3800, which afterall is supposed to be a little sharper and brighter. Do gains in other areas justify these drawbacks and the $$$?
post #918 of 6367 Old 11-24-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Sorry for the bad news, but I asked my wife to run the projector while she was working at home today, and she just called to tell me that it shut down. Apparently, the HDMI cable length setting didn't fix the problem. I had high hopes, since the problem seems related to the input signal (in my case, 24Hz mode seems to trigger the problem much more frequently). I am now considering returning the projector instead of getting the lamp replaced (which seems like a red-herring to me). I have only until the 6th to return the projector for credit.

I love my HD1000 and I have money ready to lay down for the HC3800
but with reports like these, it would be insane to place a bet on a blind horse.
What does Mitsubishi have to say about this serious problem?
If it were my company and a brand new product I was trying to promote, I would be in here (AVS forum) doing my best to inform my customers about the fix for the problem, or at least let owners know that they are truly working on it.
post #919 of 6367 Old 11-24-2009, 09:35 PM

Hi I am sorry that it didn't help. That was, what the dealer told

Good luck in finding a solution!
post #920 of 6367 Old 11-25-2009, 12:29 AM

Hi,
I am not a regular on avsforum, but a keen follower of this thread as I am looking to purchase this model.
So noticing this issue, I sent a mail to mitsubishi electric - singapore
Here are the details of the mails exchanged-

Me:
There are lots of random shutdown issues being reported from the
users worldwide on the HC3800 model. There are some guys who suggest
that the main problem is the signal strength over the HDMI cable with the
length of more than 5mtrs. There are others who are suggesting that with the
signal of 1080p/24fps there are issues. Not sure on either of those..
I have some serial numbers with me on which the problems have been
reported: S0001846/S0001880 ..seem to be out of the same factory.
What I was looking for was that I get a unit, which is out of the
lot for which there are no issues reported.

Mits Singapore:
Indeed, our Japan headquarter have heard of this issue and had rectified the
problem. So far, our regions are not so affected. Rest assured that the
projectors you will purchase will not have this problem.

Me:
Can you provide some insight into the defects that were found in the units in Japan, how severe is it. Is it hardware, or some settings in the menu, or some problems related to the HDMI port?
I am asking this because, if I purchase from the US and find a defect in that model, i wont be able to return it back..
Are you sure that US region is not affected?

Mits Singapore:
What I meant is that the projector sets that we sold within our territories(SIN, India, Indonesia, Phils, Vietnam, Bangladesh, SriLanka), are not affected. However, we cannot guarantee that the sets sold by our US office are affected or not as we have no control over there.

The recommended retail price in Singapore is S$2299. If you are interested to pick this item up in Singapore, you may have to contact one of our dealer. However, pls take note that warranty is only provided locally in Singapore if sales is made in Singapore. Do let me know if you are still interested.

Me:
please provide any updates on the shutdown issues.. that is more important..

Mits Singapore:
With regards to the issue mentioned, the firmware has to be upgraded so that problem would not occur. This can only be done by us. The end-user is not able to perform this.

So guys..
If the shutdown issue that we are seeing here is what has been reported in Japan then we are in lots of trouble..
Cannot be fixed without the firmware update..

Still I hope that it is not the same.. because I dont want give this up..as the next best epson 8100 wont have the same picture quality in a dedicated HT room with no ambient light.

I suppose the best way to find out more on this is to actually contact Mits-Japan and find out whether the problems that were reported in some units was indeed the same..
Maybe one of the guys facing this issue can take this up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfZo View Post

I love my HD1000 and I have money ready to lay down for the HC3800
but with reports like these, it would be insane to place a bet on a blind horse.
What does Mitsubishi have to say about this serious problem?
If it were my company and a brand new product I was trying to promote, I would be in here (AVS forum) doing my best to inform my customers about the fix for the problem, or at least let owners know that they are truly working on it.

post #921 of 6367 Old 11-25-2009, 02:43 AM

Thanks jayad08, that is very helpful to know.
Now for those of us who would still like to purchase a HC3800,
we will need to know what serial number ranges or Firmware numbers are good.
I wont purchase one until I can get the updated version.
post #922 of 6367 Old 11-25-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesahe View Post

I live in Europe and got interested in buying a projector during my trip to New York because of the weak dollar. The HC3800 sounded like the perfect choice: pure quality without pricey extra features most of which would be redundant anyway.

Anyway, turns out finding one in Manhattan isn't as easy as I thought. My vacation is almost over and I've tried everyplace I could think of: the big ones like B&H, J&R and Best Buy and every electronics/camera store I could find. Best I got were places which could order it for me, which by now is not an option.

I however found the Panny AE4000 for a price which would cost only a couple hundred dollars more than the HC3800 in Europe. Anyone have insight on how big is the difference? I have a gut feeling that the AE4000 is a little bloated compared to the HC3800, which afterall is supposed to be a little sharper and brighter. Do gains in other areas justify these drawbacks and the $$$?

Check this out: (http://www.projectorreviews.com/mits...petitors.php#8)
post #923 of 6367 Old 11-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfZo View Post

Thanks jayad08, that is very helpful to know.
Now for those of us who would still like to purchase a HC3800,
we will need to know what serial number ranges or Firmware numbers are good.
I wont purchase one until I can get the updated version.

Exactly.

Hell I learned years ago the hard way never buying "bleeding edge" tech - "bleeding" is right! Never never never!!

I now wisely let others bleed for me, then I come in a few months later and but the thing at 3/4 the price and it usually just works right out of the box. ;-).

Patience is a virtue I guess thats why I still have my SD H31 and ignored the "quasi" HD 720 generation porjectors and waited for 1080 DLP. I've been waiting roughly 2.5 yrs now (and through the JVC LcOS and other LCD units last year which seemed to overtake DLP for a while.....) I can easily wait another 5 months.

thanks Guinea Pigs - I really do appeaciate the work you do on my behalf ;-).

good luck too!
post #924 of 6367 Old 11-25-2009, 11:38 AM

I received mine today (Switzerland).

Started at 6pm testing. After 90 minutes I switched from 60Hz to 24Hz on my Nvidia card settings. 20' later... Shutdown!

Restarted and 15 minutes later... Second shutdown

I then have entered the service menu as suggested by happy_michael and set the HDMI cable length to (if I recall correctly) 10-25m (No "max" setting apparently).

Now it's 20:35 here and as I type this... Third shutdown!

They strangely seem to occur after 15'

further testing during this evening...
post #925 of 6367 Old 11-25-2009, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsmja View Post

I received mine today (Switzerland).

Started at 6pm testing. After 90 minutes I switched from 60Hz to 24Hz on my Nvidia card settings. 20' later... Shutdown!

Restarted and 15 minutes later... Second shutdown

I then have entered the service menu as suggested by happy_michael and set the HDMI cable length to (if I recall correctly) 10-25m (No "max" setting apparently).

Now it's 20:35 here and as I type this... Third shutdown!

They strangely seems occurring after 15'

further testing during this evening...

Could you switch to 60Hz and let it run a while longer than 90 mins(if it will) and then switch to 24Hz. I'm trying to see if it's 24Hz that's causing the problem.

Also what length HDMI cable are you running?

Thanks

post #926 of 6367 Old 11-25-2009, 11:50 AM

Got a fourth shutdown after less than 10'
post #927 of 6367 Old 11-25-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

Also what length HDMI cable are you running?

Just one meter (3 feet) out of my HDMI switcher (CLUX 41AT) itself connected to my HTPC (Nvidia 8500GT) with another 1m HDMI cable
post #928 of 6367 Old 11-25-2009, 11:55 AM

I must add I tried the "2m" position in the service menu prior to the fourth shutdown
post #929 of 6367 Old 11-25-2009, 11:57 AM

try without the HDMI switcher. Just direct connection. I think this little basterd wants a strong "clean" HDMI link with the player. Just try and tell us!
post #930 of 6367 Old 11-25-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Guys... all somebody has to do is test with Component or even VGA and if it still shuts down then it's not related to the HDMI connection. It very well may require a firmware update as mentioned .

Jason
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc3800 1080p Home Theater Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page