Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 05:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb22 View Post

I was looking into ordering the 3800 next week and I was wondering if anyone had any luck with one of the sponsers matching provantages price. I would like to order from a sponser but the $200 difference is alot for me.

No, sorry. I spoke with a rep at one of the sponsors, and they would not match the Provantage price because Provantage is not an authorized dealer.

Still, they convinced me they would take care of me if there was a problem, so I bought from the sponsor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 05:28 AM

Provantage told me I had to send them a check or pay via bank transfer as they do not accept CC orders over a $1000!

John
post #1083 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 06:21 AM

It appears Mitsubishi has recognized there is a HDMI issue with these units. Distributors / Dealers are told to send back there stock for replacements...........
post #1084 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgv1 View Post

It appears Mitsubishi has recognized there is a HDMI issue with these units. Distributors / Dealers are told to send back there stock for replacements...........

Can I ask how you found out? There's no kind of press release or anything I can find.

More important, is there a way to know whether your unit is in the bad batch?
post #1085 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldled View Post

Can I ask how you found out? There's no kind of press release or anything I can find.

Call Mitsubishi to see if your unit has the HDMI issue. 800-446-6866
post #1086 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 09:25 AM

[I'm bumping this, because I think it got lost on the previous page]

OK... I think I may have some news for everyone.

I got my replacement HC3800 today from Mitsubishi (THANKS ART!) and here's the spiel:

1. The new projector seems to be running happily in the problematic 24Hz mode (It's only been an hour, but that is close to a record for me).

2. The new projector is serial # 00054xx. The old shutdown-prone projector is serial # 00013xx. (I'm using xx to block two digits for security. Please fill them in with your imagination.)

3. The new projector lists its software (the first line on the maintenance screen - accessed by holding up+down+menu buttons simultaneously on the projector itself) as version 3.0 and the older projector has version 1.0.

I'm hoping for the sake of all those with working units, that the software version difference is unrelated to the shutdown problem, but it seems likely that it is.

My best to all, and good luck with your projectors. I'll keep you up-to-date if I have any shutdowns, but it is looking good so far!

"What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful portable picnic players."
post #1087 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king conan View Post

kilgore,

these pics are pretty accurate. That's what can be seen easily.

Ah, ok. Then I'd think that you'll be satisfied by an exchange, because your non-uniformity of color is far more obvious than mine.

"What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful portable picnic players."
post #1088 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Kilgore. thanks for bumping. I read it on the previous page, but I think it's significant to bump it since you have a new unit and are reporting the status since the shutdown was fixed. With a new firmware version(3.0 vs. original 1.0) it seems that the problem may have been software related, but they may have also changed some hardware(no way of knowing). Heck we don't even know if the firmware was the problem or they just tweaked things not related to the shutdown.

Either way 3.0 sounds like it at least identifies the projector as being a new and hopefully non-shutdown unit. So if we get 3800 it should be 3.0. Thanks for posting and please keep us posted(no pun intended) regarding how it's running.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #1089 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldled View Post

I now think that the problem has been resolved in firmware... my Mitsubishi replaced unit has software version 3.0 while my shutdown-prone unit had version 1.0.

My guess, this may be wrong, is that the shutdown issue affects all initial projectors with firmware version 1.0, but isn't showing up in all setup configurations. It also could be due to manufacturing variability from unit to unit. Either way, I'd suggest that those who haven't seen the problem on their projectors check their firmware. If it isn't 'software version 3.0', you may run the risk of developing the problem over time. I don't want to spread rumors, or be a fear monger, but better safe than sorry!

I am saying this before giving my replacement projector a thorough testing. So far I have been able to run for 3.5+ hours straight without a shutdown in 24FPS/Hz mode. My last projector couldn't make it to an hour in this mode. That said, I think the fact that the new unit has firmware 3.0 suggests that Mitsubishi has clearly been addressing issues with the projector. My hope/instinct suggests that version 3.0 covers the shutdown issue, but we'll only know that as more info comes from Mitsubishi directly or from someone who can convince them to talk about this (i.e. Art).

Good luck to everyone!

post #1090 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 09:55 AM

One last point about firmware 3.0. It seems to sync to different scan rates/resolutions with fewer hiccups or color flashes (and perhaps a little faster).

post #1091 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydee View Post

Provantage told me I had to send them a check or pay via bank transfer as they do not accept CC orders over a $1000!

John

I know Provantage has been around a while....I bought something from them maybe 5 years ago (can't remember what).

But with that policy I certainly wouldn't buy from them now....no credit card protection and if Provantage really isn't an authorized dealer, and Mits decides to not honor the warranty, then you are SOL if anything happens.
post #1092 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

I know Provantage has been around a while....I bought something from them maybe 5 years ago (can't remember what).

But with that policy I certainly wouldn't buy from them now....no credit card protection and if Provantage really isn't an authorized dealer, and Mits decides to not honor the warranty, then you are SOL if anything happens.

I bought mine from an authorized dealer and one of the forum sponsers - glad I did.

I can comfortably preview the one I received and, if I keep the hours low, return it if I decide its not what I want for a full refund. If I like it I have been assured that they (or manufacturer) will make good on whatever fix is appropriate for above issues. Worth the extra $ for my peace of mind.

And I appreciate the information on software and firmware which helps me assess the unit I received in light of above policies.
post #1093 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I found this Mitsubishi page to be interesting>

http://www.mitsubishi-presentations....FRgbawodI31clQ

They are showcasing their 2 1080p PJ, the HC6800(LCD) and HC3800(DLP).

What's interesting? Well for one, the HC3800 has this for the contrast spec>

"4,000:1 (target, tentative)"

Of course the HC6800 has a 30,000:1 contrast spec due to its DI. But it was strange that Mits said this:

"Every home is unique—just like their homeowners and their preferences. That’s why Mitsubishi offers both DLP® and 3LCD technology for your HD home theater projectors. Whether you require the brilliant colors of a high-end 3LCD model, or the rich contrast and simple maintenance of a DLP® entry level unit"

Funny they tout the 30,000:1 DI contrast spec of the HC6800, yet they offer the HC3800 as the 'rich contrast' alternative

Another funny thing, they say "Whether you require the brilliant colors of a high-end 3LCD model...", and yet the HC3800 DLP actually has a feature called 'Brilliant Color'!!!

Sounds like the ad copy guy knew nothing about these projectors

Anywhy, thought it was funny.
post #1094 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydee View Post

John

I ordered one from them two weeks ago and paid for it with a credit card. It was on back order then and I'm still waiting for it to ship but have been assured it'll be on its way soon.
post #1095 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsunperry View Post

I ordered one from them two weeks ago and paid for it with a credit card. It was on back order then and I'm still waiting for it to ship but have been assured it'll be on its way soon.

Maybe they'll call you when it's ready to ship...for the check or wire transfer, unless they already charged your card??
post #1096 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 12:35 PM

True, my card hasn't been charged yet. However, when I initially placed the order on their site they called me later that day to verify the purchase and didn't mention anything about credit card limitations. I'd be surprised if somebody called and told me the projector was ready to go and all they were waiting on was an out-of-state check or a bank transfer. I think they would have told me about that upfront.
post #1097 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 01:01 PM

Hi there.
Another update from germany.
I hope it's not annoying for you.
I'm very happy to found this Foum to get infos for the shutdown problem.
I send a Mail to Mitsubishi-Germany yesterday about my problems, after i had the second shutdown in Standby with my replacement unit from the dealer.
Unfortunately i get no answer in the short time till the weekend.
If i had know what happend this evening, i'd called them by phone earlier this day!
Lamp time now 60h.
I had 4 shutdowns in standby this evening absolutly randomly during the movie!
I tried with and without repeater and differnt cable-length settings.
It seems nothing work.
Also unfortunately it seem i'm the only customer in the german Forum thats
fighting with this problem.
Im not shure whether Mitshu-Germany is aware of all this i read here.
So, if anyone have information i can tell them in my complaint, please let me
know!
I hope their service her is as good as in the US, cause it get to despair!!
post #1098 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulig67 View Post

So, if anyone have information i can tell them in my complaint, please let me
know!
I hope their service her is as good as in the US, cause it get to despair!!

Well, you can just email them the link to this thread

And Art's blog from projector reviews>

http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog...jector-update/

http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog...-availability/
post #1099 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 PM

Thank you!
I will do so and will keep you informed..
post #1100 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Just an FYI for anyone looking to get a version 3.0, HC3800 soon. One of the forum sponsor has the following listed on their site next to the HC3800. "New QC tested units arriving Dec. 10th!". Looks like Mitsubishi really is getting the fixed units out to their big sellers very quickly.

post #1101 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 06:32 PM

My unit arrived today and the serial number is #S00013** and firmware 1.0.

More than 1 hour of tests later in 24hz and no shutdown until now.
post #1102 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry to hear it a shutdown unit. Not much else you can do except call Mitsubishi and they will pay shipping both ways and send you a version 3.0 HC3800 without the shutdown problem.

post #1103 of 6368 Old 12-04-2009, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
As far as Provantage goes, I just ordered yesterday and they have already shipped.

Product Name Qty Status
HC3800 HD Projector 1 SHIPPING NOW 12/04/09

I was a prior customer, maybe they won't sell over 1K to new customers?
post #1104 of 6368 Old 12-05-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post

Sorry to hear it a shutdown unit. Not much else you can do except call Mitsubishi and they will pay shipping both ways and send you a version 3.0 HC3800 without the shutdown problem.

Not so simple. I live in Brazil, so I've to contact Mitsubichi USA and see what I can do about it. But so far, so good. No shutdown.
post #1105 of 6368 Old 12-05-2009, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUATERMAIN View Post

Not so simple. I live in Brazil, so I've to contact Mitsubichi USA and see what I can do about it. But so far, so good. No shutdown.

From your post you said no shutdown "until now" so I assumed you had a shutdown. I hope you don't have anymore, but everyone I know of in this thread who had a shutdown eventually had another, even if it was many hours later. I understand it's not simple with you living in Brazil, but if you plan on using a HC3800 and don't want shutdowns to occur randomly, then the only thing to do is send it back to Mitsubishi or ask the dealer to replace when they get firmware 3.0 units in stock.

post #1106 of 6368 Old 12-05-2009, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I really don't understand why more manufacturers don't allow user updateable firmware, like Infocus does. If the fix to this issue is a firmware update (and sounds like it is), it would sure make life a lot easier for those who are now faced with having to ship a projector back.
post #1107 of 6368 Old 12-05-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKB View Post

I really don't understand why more manufacturers don't allow user updateable firmware, like Infocus does. If the fix to this issue is a firmware update (and sounds like it is), it would sure make life a lot easier for those who are now faced with having to ship a projector back.

Sometimes firmware upgrades are hardware mods or hard coded updates that require more than just prom reprogramming.
Other times reprogramming may be beyond the capabilities of typical projector users and if they screw it up, they have to send it back anyway.
Also keeping users locked out of home firmware updates, keeps "hacked" firmware out of their products.
post #1108 of 6368 Old 12-05-2009, 12:11 PM
dcd

For all of you that had the projector up and running. What type of mounts are you using with this projector? Since this projector doesn't do lense shift so it probably better if I can get a mount that allows some minimal vertical and horizontal movements?

Thanks in advance.
post #1109 of 6368 Old 12-05-2009, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfZo View Post

Sometimes firmware upgrades are hardware mods or hard coded updates that require more than just prom reprogramming.
Other times reprogramming may be beyond the capabilities of typical projector users and if they screw it up, they have to send it back anyway.
Also keeping users locked out of home firmware updates, keeps "hacked" firmware out of their products.

All true, but user downloadable firmware updates seem to have worked just fine for Infocus all these years, and has certainly allowed many people to apply fix patches quickly and easily (me among them).
post #1110 of 6368 Old 12-05-2009, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKB View Post

All true, but user downloadable firmware updates seem to have worked just fine for Infocus all these years, and has certainly allowed many people to apply fix patches quickly and easily (me among them).

Hi Jeff,

I noticed you in the infocus X10 thread and it appears you have an X10?

Are you thinking of getting an HC3800? And if so, why?

Thanks
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc3800 1080p Home Theater Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - Hc3800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page