*Unofficial* Mitsubishi HC3800 Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2009, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody any idea what this is???

I give my third replacement unit two new try's this evening with a new Panasonic BD80
Player.
All i get is images like above.
At all input's even on the blue "no-signal" screen..
No chance to bring the vertikal Streaks away, not even "Reset All" in the Menu
By the Way: When i changed to my old HD1000 the image is O.K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulig67 View Post

Contact Mits tech support and arrange to email them the picture. You never know there might be something in the service menu that can be adjusted. But it looks like its faulty.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:33 PM

I have not had any shutdown problems with mine.

But, since I am not using an HDMI source, I thought it best to find out what to do. I contacted Projector People -- where I bought mine -- to ask about the problem.

They told me that the problem does not affect all units (so it may not be related to firmware at all) and that -- basically -- if I don't have a problem don't worry about it.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:57 PM

Cause it's the third!! unit now, i mailed all infos and pictures to the dealer.
They will contact Mitsubishi what this is about.
Don't now if i get an answer before christmas.
I can't believe all this...
Old 12-18-2009, 02:22 PM

Got the projector .. hooked up the screen and everything was fine. As I was watching the movie about 5 minutes into it, I started noticing these red dots on dark screens. Initially I thought it was a faulty HDMI cable and I changed it. Again in about 5 minutes, I started noticing tiny red dots on the screen when viewing dark screens.

Is this a bug in the projector ? Anyone see something similar ? Eagerly awaiting ...
Old 12-18-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldled View Post

I have not had any shutdown problems with mine.

But, since I am not using an HDMI source, I thought it best to find out what to do. I contacted Projector People -- where I bought mine -- to ask about the problem.

They told me that the problem does not affect all units (so it may not be related to firmware at all) and that -- basically -- if I don't have a problem don't worry about it.

I would definately get a source that is HDMI and check this out before you miss the window of Mits covering the shipping if there is a problem.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:14 PM

Red Dots on Dark Screens

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Got the projector .. hooked up the screen and everything was fine. As I was watching the movie about 5 minutes into it, I started noticing these red dots on dark screens. Initially I thought it was a faulty HDMI cable and I changed it. Again in about 5 minutes, I started noticing tiny red dots on the screen when viewing dark screens.

Is this a bug in the projector ? Anyone see something similar ? Eagerly awaiting "

Stuck pixels = stuck dmd mirrrors. They usually break loose. Try powering down and power up.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Red dots> It won't be stuck pixels unless they are really small. Walk up to the screen and see if they are the same size as the pixels.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cause it's the third!! unit now, i mailed all infos and pictures to the dealer.
They will contact Mitsubishi what this is about.
Don't now if i get an answer before christmas.
I can't believe all this...

You do seem to be having very bad luck. (Is this the first Mitsubishi projector to be made in China by any chance?)

I would be inclined to return the projector for a refund. Then purchase it from a store where you can actually see it working and test it all out before taking it home!
Old 12-19-2009, 04:38 PM

My 3800 from PP arrived yesterday. I spent the better part of today trying to adapt my old mount without any luck. I'll have to wait until I get to Home Depot on Monday, so for now I'm projecting from a chair.

The good news is the picture is great, although I have only used the component cable thus far. Even during the day it was excellent. Tomorrow I'll give the hdmi cable that arrived today a shot. And my seriel number is xx36xx and the firmware is 3.0.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

Red dots> It won't be stuck pixels unless they are really small. Walk up to the screen and see if they are the same size as the pixels.

I did walk up to the screen and they are pixel sized. Blinking and over the entire screen. Am sure they are there even during bright scenes but are just not evident to the naked eye. Very evident on dark scenes. Tried different settings on AVR( running with a Onkyo TX-NR807 AVR and Onkyo Blu-Ray BD507 player) to no avail.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vct1964 View Post

I did walk up to the screen and they are pixel sized. Blinking and over the entire screen. Am sure they are there even during bright scenes but are just not evident to the naked eye. Very evident on dark scenes. Tried different settings on AVR( running with a Onkyo TX-NR807 AVR and Onkyo Blu-Ray BD507 player) to no avail.

Could just be dithering/noise that you are looking at, especially if you can only see it during dark images. If you have red grayscale push, it would tend to make red dithering in dark scenes.

Some basic calibration might be in order.....
Old 12-19-2009, 08:49 PM

I am hoping that someone can answer a couple of questions.

Does this projector have the same offset as the Mits HC3000?

Does the HC3800 have the same arrangement for connecting to Chief ceiling mount?

Thanks to all the early adopters that are now enjoying this great projector.

I hope to be joining you in the coming weeks.

I would be upgrading from my HC3000 to the HC3800.

Thanks,

Nick
Old 12-19-2009, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

It has a very similar offset as the HC3000....should not be a problem. The offset is around 30% depending on who you talk to or what review is read.

Dunno about the mounting.

I for one would be very interested in hearing a review from someone who upgraded from the HC3000
Old 12-20-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:

I give my third replacement unit two new try's this evening with a new Panasonic BD80
Player.

This happened to me once... I just power cycled the projector and the PS3, and all was fine. I think it had something to do with a funky HDMI sync. I've never seen it happen again. Try a different sync (60Hz vs. 48Hz.) frequency and check the cables. Hope this helps! Good luck!

"What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful portable picnic players."
Old 12-20-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vct1964 View Post

Sounds like a bad HDMI cable. The sparkles are typical of a bad cable or a long run.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

Old 12-20-2009, 01:14 PM

Review of the HC3800 on the AVForuns.com:

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=102
Old 12-20-2009, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUATERMAIN View Post

Review of the HC3800 on the AVForuns.com:

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=102

Another excellent review. I hope he's referring to the projector being noisy in high power mode.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:05 PM

I started a new thread for this but someone might be interested anyway:

So far I had been enjoying the beautiful, huge and bright image of my brand new Mitsu HC3800 with well under 20 hours on it. This came to an abrupt end when I heard a loud pop while watching a movie. When I removed the projector from it's ceiling stand it was obvious the lamp had exploded. Right now I'm a little devastated. After waiting so long it just as soon gets drawn from you. Sigh.

I'm currently puzzled as to what might have caused this. The manual says the lamp may explode if the projector is slanted too heavily, however my ceiling stand was perfectly level. This is an unit I ordered from the US to Europe. Shipping could certainly have damaged the lamp but I would suppose it wouldn't have worked at all in the case. Or maybe it's just a dud.

Anyhow, Christmas is around the corner and I have lots of people coming over, eager to see and enjoy the new home theater. If I send the unit to warranty, it will take them at least a week to replace the lamp. I could however order a new lamp, replace the broken one and pray that was the sole problem. There's no way I could get warranty to give me a new lamp *after* I've already replaced the one warranty was supposed to cover on my own expense, right? I would have to send the projector in later for an unrelated thing, anyway.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Even though Mits is saying the shut-down issues is fixed with the new firmware, no one has really put any serious hours on this PJ yet to really determine whether that issue is going to make a come-back in future or not.

With so many issues plaguing this projector (shutdowns (fixed for now), HDMI synching issues, exploding bulbs, bad QC), I'm tempted to abandon the DLP wagon and plunging into the Epson 8100 and living with minor convergence issues.

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/

Old 12-20-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Player.

You are having HDMI cable length issues. I had exactly the same problem. You might find that if you drop the refresh rate to 1080i of 1080p/24 that the problem will go away. Fortunately the problem is easy to fix. Just go to Amazon and order and HDMI extender. I bought this one and it works like a champ.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ss_T15_product
Old 12-20-2009, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone did any gaming (console;360 or Ps3) on this so far.? Since we know the scaler on this is average, I'd like to know what bad the 720p=1080p upconversion plays in for games.

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/

Old 12-20-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesahe View Post

I started a new thread for this but someone might be interested anyway:

So far I had been enjoying the beautiful, huge and bright image of my brand new Mitsu HC3800 with well under 20 hours on it. This came to an abrupt end when I heard a loud pop while watching a movie. When I removed the projector from it's ceiling stand it was obvious the lamp had exploded. Right now I'm a little devastated. After waiting so long it just as soon gets drawn from you. Sigh.

I'm currently puzzled as to what might have caused this. The manual says the lamp may explode if the projector is slanted too heavily, however my ceiling stand was perfectly level. This is an unit I ordered from the US to Europe. Shipping could certainly have damaged the lamp but I would suppose it wouldn't have worked at all in the case. Or maybe it's just a dud.

Anyhow, Christmas is around the corner and I have lots of people coming over, eager to see and enjoy the new home theater. If I send the unit to warranty, it will take them at least a week to replace the lamp. I could however order a new lamp, replace the broken one and pray that was the sole problem. There's no way I could get warranty to give me a new lamp *after* I've already replaced the one warranty was supposed to cover on my own expense, right? I would have to send the projector in later for an unrelated thing, anyway.

Sorry to hear about your bulb, major bummer. When the bulb explodes, is it self-contained in its module or is vaporized mercury leaked into the room?
Old 12-21-2009, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathaniel7 View Post

Sorry to hear about your bulb, major bummer. When the bulb explodes, is it self-contained in its module or is vaporized mercury leaked into the room?

The lamp container is properly sealed so the pieces of broken glass can't fall out (thank god).
Old 12-21-2009, 03:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesahe View Post

The lamp container is properly sealed so the pieces of broken glass can't fall out (thank god).

Buy the new globe, use it over christmas, then put the blown one back when you want to send the projector for repair.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster View Post

With so many issues plaguing this projector (shutdowns (fixed for now), HDMI synching issues, exploding bulbs, bad QC), I'm tempted to abandon the DLP wagon and plunging into the Epson 8100 and living with minor convergence issues.

Talk about fear mongering! The shutdown issue is fixed, as for HDMI issues I'm not sure what you are talking about? That the switching is a little slow? One bulb explodes and it's a major issue? QC? C'mon the sky is not falling! And many of the problems on here are from people using sub par cables.

Bottom line is that this is a new projector and all have some issues. Mitsubishi has dealt with the shutdown issue incredibly quick. If you want the 3800 I would suggest you get it from a place like PP, where you know you'll get the latest firmware and a late model serial number...
Old 12-21-2009, 09:13 AM

Hello,

i have problem with the projector Mitsubishi HC3800. It´s probably a hardware error. I found during the projection, that the color homogeneity, especially with white color, goes from right to left side by 35% down with brightnes, respectively goes to the pink color. Projection is ceiling. When projection is front, you can see brightness in the opposite side. Brightness artefact is stable, without moving. Projector is new one, 2 hours in use, ambient temperature=22°C.

I tried to solve problem by:

- Use of other sources (HDMI, VGA from 3 different computers)
- Use the white test pattern without source
- exchange HDMI cable (length 1.5m)
- Using 3 different points of projection (to eliminate the possibility of
colored reflections from objects in the interior)
- projection from short / long distance
- zoom moving (without moving of artefacts)
- projection to white wall / projection screen
- front projection and ceiling projection
- reset settings to default
- Turn off the automatic correction of video modes
- calibrated settings from this forum vs default settings
- Switching mode Cinema / Sport / user
- Switching of color temperature
- Change eco lamp mode - normal mode
- use of other sources of power supply
- check the clarity of front lens

Here is pictures with reseting of lightness pixel to white RGB (255.255.255):

Difference view:

and with contrast frame:

So, with contrast frame is best example, how person shows color difference in reality. I never met with this issue by DLP projector that I bought (Benq MP720p, Benq PE7700, Optoma HD65). Yes it´s possible, than difference of uniformity was maximum approax 10 % global by projectors, but 35 %? What do you think? Do you met with this issue too?

Thanks for your opinion,

Pavel.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

riedlp..... I wonder if this is caused by light leakage from the lens gap hitting the screen. This projector is known to have a bit of light leakage, you can see it if you look towards the lens when standing next to the screen - obviously DONT look directly at the lens! Have a look if you can temporarily cover the gap to test. (I also wonder if its an effect of the bulb being so new, it may become more uniform as it burns in). How about sending your screen pics to Mits support and see what they suggest about it? I have seen the issue mentioned before in this forum.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by riedlp View Post

.... I have problem with the projector Mitsubishi HC3800. It´s probably a hardware error. I found during the projection, that the color homogeneity ....

This condition really concerns me, as I've been considering the 3800 as a replacement for my HD1000. It would seem this would make black and white films such as Casablanca virtually unwatchable. I can't recall seeing this sort of issue on any DLP projector.

My guess is that there's something wrong in the optical system - hopefully a manufacturing defect just affecting a small percentage of units rather than a design flaw. The 3800 appears to be an entirely new chassis design, subject to "teething pains". Perhaps a few more months of production will clear up the problems.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riedlp View Post

Hello,

i have problem with the projector Mitsubishi HC3800. It´s probably a hardware error. I found during the projection, that the color homogeneity, especially with white color, goes from right to left side by 35% down with brightnes, respectively goes to the pink color. Projection is ceiling. When projection is front, you can see brightness in the opposite side. Brightness artefact is stable, without moving. Projector is new one, 2 hours in use, ambient temperature=22°C.

I would get 10+ hours on bulb and re-check...

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc3800 1080p Home Theater Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - Hc3800 by PriceGrabber.com