post #121 of 6368 Old 09-08-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

Yeah, no manual iris is a big bummer, what were they thinking? Must be the same person who decided to not bring the HC3100 to N. America

Thanks for the answer Jason.

Hehe, probably simply a cost cutting measure but maybe they'll do a HC3900 with a manual iris (probably not sell it here though... lol), it would certainly be worth a few hundred more IMO.

A real killer aspect of this unit is it has a CMS at this price point, we don't yet know if it's a TRUE CMS but can't wait to find out .

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 6368 Old 09-08-2009, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephShaw View Post

I'd pay more just for Mitsubishi's stellar customer support and 2 year warranty. When my HC3000U died under warranty, they had to replace the main board and color board, and had it back to me within 5 days. The guy I talked to in California actually had in-depth knowledge of my projector, and was even up on the goings on with projectors not being brought to this market. I have rarely experienced such good and knowledgeable customer service.

Yep Mitsu's CS is second to none, I actually had 3 HC3000's sitting in my living room at the same time (not a dime billed to me), they kept sending me new ones until I was happy (I'm a picky sob ).

Jason

post #123 of 6368 Old 09-08-2009, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_0_s View Post

I am nowhere NEAR as technical as you guys, but (according to specs) do you think I'd have to mess with my current mounting position on my HD1000U if I upgraded to the HC3800?

And man do I hope the HC3800 is quieter, because my HD1000U is LOUD as all hell.

There would be some changes in mounting as the HC3800 has a non-centered lens, the HD1000 is centered, plus the offset is a little different.

Jason

* Trifecta !!! sorry

post #124 of 6368 Old 09-08-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Yep Mitsu's CS is second to none, I actually had 3 HC3000's sitting in my living room at the same time (not a dime billed to me), they kept sending me new ones until I was happy (I'm a picky sob ).

Jason

So Jason, what PJ's do you currently use? Still the Sharp 12K MKII as the main?

You thinking of this HC3800 to replace it? Would be interesting if this HC3800 could meet or beat it in contrast...
post #125 of 6368 Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's my understanding that an ND2 will not alter on/off and only has a very slight cut to ANSI (at least with a good quality filter). I have only used an ND2 (hoya) once with a 4805 and ANSI was not measured with/without.

But a Manual Iris stepped down increases on/off quite a bit. Crap.
post #126 of 6368 Old 09-08-2009, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

What are the other pros/cons to a ND2 vs a manual iris?

I've read that ansi contrast suffers a little with the iris stepped down (closed), as opposed to open (at least 1 or 2 tested projectors, dunno if this normal?). How does a ND2 affect on/off and ansi contrast?

Maybe Jason knows the answer to this one?

Theoretically, I think that an iris closed down should only increase Ansi contrast, because it reduces scattered light in the lense. JVC is the only exception that I can think of, and I beleive they have corrected it in the new projectors they are about to unveil.
post #127 of 6368 Old 09-08-2009, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So Jason, what PJ's do you currently use? Still the Sharp 12K MKII as the main?

You thinking of this HC3800 to replace it? Would be interesting if this HC3800 could meet or beat it in contrast...

Yep still rocking the 12k mkII, I told myself that I will not replace it until I get a 1080p that can at least come really close or match it for under $2500. But the kicker is it has to be just as reliable . Needless to say that unit has not presented itself to me as of yet, so here I wait.

I doubt the HC3800 can match the 12k mkII for over-all IQ (CR/black level/color/sharpness/ansi) but I am hoping it's dang close as some of the benefits of the HC3800 would be nice (lumens - not that I need them with an HP screen but I want to go bigger , lamp life, shorter throw than 12k). I hope Mits has gone with a better lens this time around (less CA) but that's iffy since it's price point is so low... we'll see.

I have my doubts but I am looking forward to seeing one of these in action and I luv Mitsu's.

Jason

post #128 of 6368 Old 09-08-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep still rocking the 12k mkII, I told myself that I will not replace it until I get a 1080p that can at least come really close or match it for under $2500. But the kicker is it has to be just as reliable . Needless to say that unit has not presented itself to me as of yet, so here I wait.

Jason

Well, I'm even more patient---I'm still rocking the Optoma H31 It's actually been reliable, but needless to say, I won't be getting another optoma. Seems like the H31's were the last of the reliable ones.

I'm only running 60" wide, watch about 2x width back, and with blu ray, it still looks pretty damn good.

I actually need a PJ with some built in offset, more the better for me, but those PJ's aren't in fashion anymore, choices are mighty limited. The JVC RSxx series actually has enough lens shift to give some good offset, just not sure if I'll be ok with the low ansi contrast. The RS10 does seem pretty cool though, but used RS1's are coming in below $2k....

Whatever it is, it better kick the H31's butt clean off my ceiling! And I'm not talking just resolution....I can adjust to that a bit with my seating distance.
post #129 of 6368 Old 09-08-2009, 03:17 PM

Liked: 10
Jason,

I bought (and still use) an hc3000 back in the day, and I remember you getting one around the same time, and your comments were helpful. I see your comment about having an HP screen. I tried some samples, but could not get over the fact that the brightness differed so much from seat to seat, each person seeing a different brightness. My room has a bar and pool table near by, and it seemed really bad to move around with HP. This doesn't bother you?
post #130 of 6368 Old 09-09-2009, 10:24 AM

Liked: 14
I'm in the HC3000 camp as well (actually an HC3100 imported from Japan which is a slight step up). I hope the 3800 will be a worth replacement not just in resolution and brightness, but in contrast as well. I really can't tell if it will even be worth the upgrade since the contrast ratings are so similar *fingers crossed*

"Now a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it.."
post #131 of 6368 Old 09-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The HC3000 listed at $2,995.00 and this one is listed at $1,495.00 expected to go for less, lets hope they have cut features wisely to get the price down, the iris is one that I feel is a good move. I don't use mine and low power is plenty dim, when I turn on the iris and low power on a 92" it look like my bulb has 10,000 hours on it and I've never used the iris for that reason. So I'm all for that move cutting the cost. I also feel the Mits lens is better than either the Infocus or Sharp that I had, the corner to corner sharpness is outstanding on my HC3000. Unlike a poster above if this is a identical replacement for my HC3000 but is 1080P and brighter, them I'm all over it for the money. I don't even want to get rid of my HC3000 other than to up the resolution and mine had had bulb issues, both only lasting 1000 hours. The 2 year warranty is also a nice plus, 1 year is just lame from some of the sub $1K projectors.
post #132 of 6368 Old 09-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

The love I've had for my Mits HD1000U and the exceptional customer service I received when I had an issue two years ago have pretty much guaranteed this will be my next pj.

A year ago, it almost seemed like EVERYTHING was turning out LCD. I'm so glad the swing recently is back on DLP.
post #133 of 6368 Old 09-09-2009, 02:52 PM

Like Billbo I will be replacing my 1000U (which is still suiting my needs nicely) with this one most likely. I really can't believe the value of the 1000U when I consider it was 850 shipped almost 3 years ago. I am giddy like a school girl.
post #134 of 6368 Old 09-09-2009, 03:00 PM

not sure if this is old news, but found this on mitsubishis website

http://www.mitsubishi-presentations....ase_Sept09.pdf

estimated price will be $1395
post #135 of 6368 Old 09-09-2009, 03:10 PM

Sorry in advance for the long post. Most of the people posting here seem to have been looking at the same projectors I've been researching.

I haven't seriously looked at projectors for 4-1/2 years. I'm currently replacing a broken Infocus Screenplay 5700. All in all it was a decent machine with a good picture. Screen is 82" Stewart Firehawk.

My idiot builder installed columns on the screen wall that only allowed for the 82" screen. It looks great with my in-wall speakers, but the room is 14ft deep. The Infocus is currently mounted so the lens is 13'4" from the screen, with about 10" of offset. It is a light controlled dedicated home theater.

At the time I picked out the Infocus, I didn't see rainbows and couldn't stand the LCD screendoor.

Football is coming up and I just don't have the $$$ right now to buy another $3k+ projector. I'd like to stay with DLP, definitely want to go 1080P, but none of these cheap 108P projectors will allow for the long throw I have in the current setup. It would probably cost me some serious time and money to rewire and repair the ceiling moving the projector closer to the screen.

The simplest option I have is buying the LCD Pannasonic AE3000. It seems very flexible and with the lens shift I should have no problem -- almost a plug-n-play. I haven't seen one, but I'm scared of all the "softness" comments I hear. Also, it's still going to be $2500 after I pay sales tax. I did find a Mitsi floor model 6500 I can get for $2k, but it already has 950 hours on the lamp, in full mode. That's half the lamp life. I've also heard of new ones selling for around $2k, so the deal isn't that great.

Since I've been watching the Infocus for 4-1/2 years, will I be impressed with quality of one of the higher rated LCD's out there? Any suggestions on DLP's that may work for me? I'd even consider buying a used machine if the deal were right.

Comments, suggestions?
post #136 of 6368 Old 09-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Did you check out the X10 here, http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFo...ulator-pro.htm, looks like it might work.

Now back to the HC3800

post #137 of 6368 Old 09-09-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose4540 View Post

not sure if this is old news, but found this on mitsubishis website

http://www.mitsubishi-presentations....ase_Sept09.pdf

estimated price will be $1395

Engadget is also reporting that it will list for $1395.

Cool...

Robert Clark
post #138 of 6368 Old 09-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrimDr View Post

Since I've been watching the Infocus for 4-1/2 years, will I be impressed with quality of one of the higher rated LCD's out there? Any suggestions on DLP's that may work for me? I'd even consider buying a used machine if the deal were right.

Comments, suggestions?

I think you'd be impressed with any 1080p projector compared to the 5700. I owned a 5700 a few years back and it was great for the time, but nothing like projectors of today. My current projector is an AE2000 and it's plenty sharp. Still, overall I prefer the look of DLP, so I may upgrade soon.

I think the HC3800 looks very interesting and would surely blow you away when compared to the older Infocus.
post #139 of 6368 Old 09-09-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrimDr View Post

... the room is 14ft deep. The Infocus is currently mounted so the lens is 13'4" from the screen, with about 10" of offset. It is a light controlled dedicated home theater. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post

Did you check out the X10 here, http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFo...ulator-pro.htm, looks like it might work.

The x10 would be a fine projector for your setup. One thing to be conscious of though is it's offset. It's a bit too much for many with lower ceiling clearance. Otherwise, keep an eye out on the Epson's new line up. Could be jaw dropping for your needs.

...Now back to the Mitsubishi HC3800 thread already in progress...

I have eight different bosses right now. ...Eight. So that means that when I make a mistake, I have eight different people tell me about it. That's my only real motivation is not to be hassled.
post #140 of 6368 Old 09-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

"Viewing widescreen 2.35:1 aspect ratio films is easy with the HC3800 projector, thanks to its Anamorphic Lens Mode 1 and 2 support. In the past, users needed an expensive lens railing or tracking apparatus to install or remove an anamorphic lens, depending on the desired 2.35:1 or 16:9
film aspect ratios. With the new HC3800, users can now simply position an anamorphic lens permanently in front of the projector lens and select the appropriate Anamorphic Mode 1 or Mode 2, either 2.35:1 or 16:9 aspect ratios for the corresponding movie format. It's a simple and
economical design that saves time and effort while providing the ultimate home theater viewing experience."

This sounds interesting. Mate this projector with a budget Anamorphic lens and DIY screen for a "poor man's" CIH setup. I'd be surprised if most people weren't impressed with the results.
post #141 of 6368 Old 09-09-2009, 09:42 PM

If your going to spend a third or more of the price of your projector on an anamorphic lens why not spend a little more on a manual sled?

I think it would be better to have a mode where you can shrink 16:9 content down to fit in the center 1424x800 pixels. That way you could have a 2.40:1 screen at 1920x800 for scope movies, then for 1.78 it just uses the center of your screen at 1424x800 which is still better than 720p.
post #142 of 6368 Old 09-10-2009, 11:17 AM

Looks like even the engineering sample of the 3800 outperforms the HD20 in every way:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog...or-first-look/

Based on the screenshots (which may not be accurate) the 3800 looks a lot better than the Optoma HD20.
post #143 of 6368 Old 09-10-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Based on Art's review along with projector central's it does seem that the preliminary reviews make the HC3800 a better buy than the HD20. I'd rather spend a little more and get more than go with less. I am hoping it streets closer to $1000 now that the price is being advertised by Mitsubishi as $1395 instead of the original $1495.

My only question is how will it compare to my Mitsubishi HC1500 in terms of brightness? It already seems to beat it in every other category.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #144 of 6368 Old 09-10-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr231 View Post

I think it would be better to have a mode where you can shrink 16:9 content down to fit in the center 1424x800 pixels. That way you could have a 2.40:1 screen at 1920x800 for scope movies, then for 1.78 it just uses the center of your screen at 1424x800 which is still better than 720p.

I agree. This is absolutely what I want. I am willing to sacrifice a little resolution on 1.78 format if I can have a simple way to display 2.35:1 without bars and no added cost.

I want this PJ, but I'm tempted to bite the bullet for the AE3000 because it provides a nice simple solution for 2.35 and 1.78 formats.
post #145 of 6368 Old 09-10-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hey guys, I just noticed the HC3800 is 24p capable and that the lamp can be replaced from the top of the projector. Not sure how I missed these two features, but being able replace the lamp without taking the projector down from the ceiling is a nice feature.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #146 of 6368 Old 09-10-2009, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 View Post

Looks like even the engineering sample of the 3800 outperforms the HD20 in every way:

Based on the screenshots (which may not be accurate) the 3800 looks a lot better than the Optoma HD20.

It should be better it costs more.

Robert Clark
post #147 of 6368 Old 09-10-2009, 08:39 PM

In case you didnt see, fellow member Matts got a view of the 3800 and gave it good praises. His thread is in the MSRP Above $3000, link below.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1178519

post #148 of 6368 Old 09-10-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark View Post

It should be better it costs more.

Not much more, I am sure we will see a lower street price to compete. If it hits at $1,300, I would rather spend the extra $300 than $1,000 on the Optoma HD20.
post #149 of 6368 Old 09-10-2009, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I love my 12K MII! Nothing under 5 grand can handle it.
post #150 of 6368 Old 09-10-2009, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 View Post

Do note that the HD20's on/off contrast was measured at only 1179:1 by projector central.

That's gotta be one of the worst on/off contrast number for a current DLP HT projector.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc3800 1080p Home Theater Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread - Hc3800 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page