Official Sony VPL-HW15 Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 682 Old 03-27-2010, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know, cart before the horse, but I purchased this Elite HC Grey 106" fixed frame screen new in box off a guy on Craiglist for a pretty good deal. Now I'm looking to project onto it. My room is painted dark colors, with dark carpet, and is light controlled. Would this projector work well with this screen/environment combo?

Thinking about pop and wow and sizzle. SXRD interests me, but I do like a bright image. The latest Benq has issues, and even the Epson 8500UB sounds like it has issues and QC problems. I looked into the new LG, but they are not selling it in Canada. So now I'm looking at the Sony. Any opinions?

Oh yeah, the room is approx 16 x 9 feet (I know, total fluke). The proj will be mounted so it's about 14 to 16 feet from the screen.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 682 Old 03-28-2010, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't see any projecting problem with the size of your screen n the distance you have.
The only thing I can say is that your room is already so dark, you don't even need a grey screen to start with. However, the HW15 has enough lumen for even a low gain screen.

Man see things as they were n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
post #363 of 682 Old 03-28-2010, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffMurrin View Post

Thinking about pop and wow and sizzle. SXRD interests me, but I do like a bright image. The latest Benq has issues, and even the Epson 8500UB sounds like it has issues and QC problems. I looked into the new LG, but they are not selling it in Canada.

I have used both the HW15 and BenQ W6000 in my theater (118 inch 16:9 diagonal Brilliant White screen). Both looked plenty bright but I was surprised how much more the W6000 retained a watchable image when I turned on/up my can lights. The Sony was too washed out to be watchable. So if you wish to use some lighting there is a big difference.
post #364 of 682 Old 03-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have the VPL-HW15 on a 100" Firehawk gray screen. I can watch bright material like sports with some light in the room, and it's a living room with white ceiling/walls. It helps to switch from Cinema mode to Dynamic. I had the Benq W600 for a while, it was actually just a tiny bit too bright at times for me in a darkened room. It was nice though to have that extra oomph when there was some ambient light during the day.
post #365 of 682 Old 03-28-2010, 04:33 PM

Hello everyone,

That was a long thread to read.

Now I ordered my first projector in my life Sony HW15...and im a little confused if i should cancel it and order epson tw5500 instead...the price is the same?

When comparing them together, sony always lose in all comparison here on this site?

digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=4&ma1=16&mo1=126&p1=6744&ma2=19&ph=14

So the question is, should i buy epson tw5500 instead of sony hw15?

What do you think guys, please help :.)
post #366 of 682 Old 03-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_s View Post

Hello everyone,

Now I ordered my first projector in my life Sony HW15...and im a little confused if i should cancel it and order epson tw5500 instead...the price is the same?

When comparing them together, sony always lose in all comparison here on this site?

I took a look at that site you mention. As expected, it's just comparing the raw specs provided by the manufacturers. Honestly, that's not very useful except for 1) features you need, or 2) BIG differences in performance, and even 2) is debatable. I'd recommend reading the reviews at projectorreviews.com or projectorcentral.com which go into more detail about actual perceived picture quality and use, and comparisons between competing models. I don't know if the TW5500 is reviewed much so finding direct comparisons to it will be tough, most seem to focus on the Home Cinema 8500 model. (Epson has the biggest range of models of any projector maker so it can get a little confusing with them, I'm not sure what the TW5500 is, it may be a European model.)
post #367 of 682 Old 03-28-2010, 10:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 212
http://www.hometheatermag.com/frontp...rd_projector/#

Nice review of the HW15 and a couple of its competition reviews posted at the same time. Ends up he liked the HW15 best.

Both of these are superb projectors. The Epson 9500 UB was always a pleasure to watch, and it was slightly more accurate according to the measurements, although this is splitting some fine hairs. I could watch either projector all day, and on several occasions, I almost did. But it was the Sony that best kept me glued to my seat when it was 1:00 a.m. and long past time to shut things down and go to bed.
post #368 of 682 Old 03-28-2010, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Jimmy,

I follow your link n went into the 'Digitalversus' site. I selected the 'Products Face-off' section between HW15 n 5500. Then, I selected the most important comparison, 'Playback : 1080i/P source'.

I don't believe what I saw at the patterns. The HW15 lines are solid in the diagram while the Epson showed a lot of blurr.

Are you sure this is the site you refer to ? Or you are just pulling my leg ?

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...3&p2=7687&ph=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_s View Post

Hello everyone,

Man see things as they were n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
post #369 of 682 Old 03-29-2010, 02:20 AM

Thanks for all the good answers. :-)

I was just afraid that I bought the the wrong projector...even through all my electronics is Sony :-)
post #370 of 682 Old 03-29-2010, 01:28 PM

okay guys :-)

I'm back here to ask a new question about my surround system.

I was looking through sony's surround system and I found this one.

sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665532064

product id > BDV-IT1000ES

I went to sony store twice to listen to the sound of this surround system and those guys was stupid.

First time the guy said "can you come another time we just opened the store" :S...I accepted that, even though me and my wife were the only once.

Second time I visited and waited in line, the guy agreed to help me, so he puts some music songs... "the sound was good enough" but I wanted to listen to some blue-ray movie to get the feeling of how it sounds, he says "well, you see, their is too many people right now standing in line, if you come back later, i will manage to put some blue-ray movie for you"

LOL..so now i back to you guys...those sony guys is stupid.

What do you think of this product "BDV-IT1000ES" is it good? It cost around 2000$.

or should i go after other's?

my projector comes tommorow :-D
post #371 of 682 Old 03-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

I took a look again at that digitalversus site based on ac388's post, and I appear to have been hasty in dismissing it as just taking manufacturer specs. Looks like there is some test data there. But now I'm confused about jimmy_s stating that the Sony always loses in comparison, because in EVERY performance test I'm looking at, the Sony wins. Color temp, RGB, contrast, greyscale, the 1080i test that ac388 mentioned - all of them are not even close and favor the Sony. I actually wonder about the validity of some of this, the 5500 does so poorly on some of those. For the 5500, the greyscale is very blue, the 1080i looks awful, black level in the contrast is VERY high (so this can't be an 8500 twin, right?), etc.

Regarding that Sony HT system, it looks like a slick system if you want an all in one setup with wireless speakers, which could be a plus for some. It's not for me personally, I would think you could get FAR better performance for the price by spending about $400-500 on a receiver, $200 on a BD player, and the rest on a 5.1 speaker package from one of the internet sellers like Axiom.
post #372 of 682 Old 03-30-2010, 10:59 AM

Thanks for your answer, i will take it into consideration :-)

Now I got my projektor HW15 and i got the wrong projector ceiling mount.

I can't figure out which one to buy....?? the one i have is wrong :S

please point me to the correct ceiling mount
post #373 of 682 Old 03-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

I have a Chief universal ceiling mount, similar to this one: http://www.chiefmfg.com/productdetail.aspx?MountID=71 but in white. It worked for my previous Optoma projector, and it took a little fiddling with the HW15 but I got it to work. (The mount holes on the Sony are closer together, so I had to move the bracket arms up using the little sliding connectors that mount them to the bracket frame - otherwise, the frame covered the holes.)
post #374 of 682 Old 04-01-2010, 06:47 PM

I just purchased this projector; but I seem to have a problem. In no menu can I find "Film Mode." I've looked in the expert settings menu; but it's not there. I do know that it's processing 24fps because when I give it such a signal, the info screen shows 1080/24p. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Edward
post #375 of 682 Old 04-01-2010, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

24fps is for Film n 60fps is for video. Of all the projectors that I own, not one ever show the word 'Film mode' when it detect film material.

Any reason you want it that way ?

post #376 of 682 Old 04-02-2010, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 View Post

24fps is for Film n 60fps is for video. Of all the projectors that I own, not one ever show the word 'Film mode' when it detect film material.

Any reason you want it that way ?

I'm not expecting a message to pop up. I've just read several references to this feature being set to Auto or Off. However, I've not seen such an option in the Expert menu that several owners/reviewers have mentioned.
post #377 of 682 Old 04-02-2010, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Just curious where you read that reference.

post #378 of 682 Old 04-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward98 View Post

I'm not expecting a message to pop up. I've just read several references to this feature being set to Auto or Off. However, I've not seen such an option in the Expert menu that several owners/reviewers have mentioned.

I think you're referring to Sony's "CineMotion", which performs a 2:3 pulldown for film-based content that is being sent at 60fps (i.e., DVD movies, HD broadcasts). That feature has Auto and Off settings, and it is called "Film Mode" in the set-up menu (see p.43 of the manual).

For BD's sent to the projector at 24fps, the projector simply repeats those frames at either 72Hz or 96Hz. This feature is not adjustable, AFAIK, and the "Film Mode" setting would have no function.
post #379 of 682 Old 04-05-2010, 12:14 PM

Of course when I'm ready to pick on of these up, they're backordered! Does anyone know how long backorders are typically replenished on Sony projectors like this?
post #380 of 682 Old 04-05-2010, 05:17 PM

JaDay,
Not much help but I am waiting for this projector also. One of the sale rep I talked to said mid April, if not earlier.
post #381 of 682 Old 04-07-2010, 09:28 AM

They're back in stock, my local dealer just ordered mine.
post #382 of 682 Old 04-07-2010, 01:39 PM

I now have a Sony VPL-HW15 sitting in it's box in my home theater/den. Mounting it Sunday! Thanks to any and all who answered any of my questions in this thread and many other.

Couldn't get the LG SXRD, the Epson seems waaay to mired in QC problems, and I thought the image on this Sony was gorgeous, and much more to my liking than the Epson 8500UB.

I'm not looking back! I'm just going to look forward...at the screen!

-Geoff
post #383 of 682 Old 04-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Congrats, Geoff! You must be on pins & needles, having it right there but waiting a few days to mount. I'd have it open and doing something like sitting on a chair or something.

Let us know if we can help when you get it setup.
post #384 of 682 Old 04-07-2010, 06:02 PM

Seems I need advice on my Sony already, and it's not even mounted. I just opened the box and looked at the manual. It states that I need almost 12 inches/30CMs clearance on either side, the back, and the top. The sides and back are no problem, but I was hoping to mount it close to the ceiling, as the room has a low ceiling. Is there anyone who has mounted theirs without the recommended ceiling clearance? I was hoping to shelf mount it above the couch with only 3 inches of clearance above it. I'm wondering what sort of problems this could cause. Also wondering if I could hook up some sort of fan to keep air moving across the top of it to gain some height.

Thanks,

Geoff
post #385 of 682 Old 04-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

I've got mine mounted about 4" from the ceiling, but it's not on a shelf. That would concern me a bit, to be honest, having both top and bottom obstructed. There are vents on the front and back and IME there is a small flow of air, not particularly hot. So you might be able to get away with it but I would check the temps around the projector in that location when you first try it. Obviously, they give very conservative directions but I did have an experience with a projector shutting down from heat, once, so heat is definitely something to be careful with. (It was a smaller/hotter DLP unit, and I had it bounded on top/bottom/left with little clearance, which was rather foolish in retrospect.)
post #386 of 682 Old 04-07-2010, 06:46 PM

Hi folks,

I got this PJ 6 weeks ago and finally have the installation complete. It is working well for me.

This is my first projector. My research consisted of reading reviews and projector sites. In person viewing was limited because there are not many demo places that I could go. I did view my friend's Mitsubishi LCD (don't remember the model) and saw a lengthy demo of the JVC DLAHD350 at a local store. I saw an in-depth demo of a Sony SXRD (I think it was called the "Ruby") a few years ago.

I was all set to buy the Panasonic AE4000, but there was no way to demo it anywhere locally.

What steered me towards this projector were the following:
  • First hand viewings of LCOS projectors (Ruby and JVC)
  • My friend with the Mitsubishi said he'd get an LCOS before he'd ever buy another LCD projector
  • I formerly had a Sony SXRD RPTV and liked its look, but I replaced it with a plasma
  • Got a special deal to take 12% off the VPL-HW15 - so that kind of clinched it

I'm using a 106" gray screen with it at a throw of ~13.5 feet.

I would link to a gallery of my pics, but can't at this time as a new poster.
post #387 of 682 Old 04-07-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Congrats jrlnc. I have about 100 hours on my unit now n enjoying every minute of it. Watch some of your favorite Bluray in your collection n tell us the improvement you see. Looking forward to see your pic.

post #388 of 682 Old 04-07-2010, 09:01 PM

Can't wait for my upgrade will order this weekend if not sooner.
post #389 of 682 Old 04-08-2010, 02:57 AM

Thanks Paul. I think I will make sure the shelf itself has vent holes in the bottom.

-Geoff

Edit: Just saw your mount a few posts above. So the one you linked to is the one you have other than color? I think I will just order that one. Seems simple enough.
post #390 of 682 Old 04-08-2010, 08:58 AM

Mine is ceiling mounted about 2" from the ceiling and 6.25" from the back wall. I used a low profile chief mount because I have a low basement ceiling too. Totally open on the sides though. I'm using the low bulb setting and the projector has about 500+ hours with no issues. I believe there is also a high altitude setting that gives higher fan speed, albeit with more noise. I would try to make sure the back and sides of the projector get as much airflow as possible.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vplhw15 Home Theater Sxrd Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page