Official Sony VPL-HW15 Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > Official Sony VPL-HW15 Thread
ritter's Avatar ritter 01:38 PM 07-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ll View Post

I'm in process of rebuilding screen frame and moving from infocus sp4800 to HW15. With DLP SP4800 I had grey screen with 1.3 gain at 135". I tested HW15 with the same screen and determined it was actually brighter (thanks to very bright "cinema mode") despite projectorcentral calculator suggesting I need higher gain screen or smaller screen size. I tested HW15 against new material I just purchased (1.0 gain white mate) looks better on white versus grey as it can handle blacks much better then SP4800, and I decided to build a bigger frame, I'm going 145" with white mate 1.0 gain screen with the projector at 19', tried it - love it, no brightness issues for me (it is a basement with no windows - 100% controllable light; must add - when I watch a movie I do have dimmed lights on, sufficient to find a plate and have a dinner at the same time it does not affect the picture quality).

That's very helpful as I just came from IN76 and had a 4805 before it with the same screen- both of which I used on low power with a D30 filter when the bulbs were new. But I also can put the pj at the front edge of the throw range which helps.

I only watch at night or dusk and my room is always at least a little light challenged, but still, I value contrast over absolute brightness.

I guess worst case I get the 1.3 and have to use the Sony on high power. No- I guess I do and it's still too dark- but it doesn't sound like it should from your experience.

BBB_63's Avatar BBB_63 01:56 PM 07-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJData View Post

I am actually waiting for sony to up the hw15 to 3D, since i now read here that the current moddel is being discontinued, how ig is the chance that it will get a 3D version as a follow up, and ad what price i wonder.

With flatpanel tv's the price diffrence is not that big , but how does that work with sxrd PJ's?

Is there anyone here who knows something about 3D and sxrd, or do i just have to wait and see what comes around come september ;-) ?.

Ty for any information you might have.

No info to share on what's coming, but I totally agree - why buy an HW15 NOW (esp. since we're hearing it's discontinued by Sony), only to have a 3D capable PJ very likely to be announced in a couple of short months at Cedia?

Seems that would be a giant waste of money, unless you have it to burn..
w1ll's Avatar w1ll 03:29 PM 07-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB_63 View Post

No info to share on what's coming, but I totally agree - why buy an HW15 NOW (esp. since we're hearing it's discontinued by Sony), only to have a 3D capable PJ very likely to be announced in a couple of short months at Cedia?

Seems that would be a giant waste of money, unless you have it to burn..

Absolutely true!
but!
new model will not go for any less then MSRP, HW15 is available for much less.
Do you really think 3D would be of any interest? Watching movies in glasses - not for me, I hate it and don't want to bring this home, and in reality you have to wait much much longer then for Cedia to get decent amount of 3D programming to become available...
So in my view now is the perfect time to get HW15
DJData's Avatar DJData 03:42 PM 07-07-2010
Well i have no PJ and no Reciever yet, i'm saving up to buy both, and i just want to get the most up to date gear i can get, thats 1.

Second i do like 3D, i wont be watching regular tv like that , but id love to be able to watch all the upcoming 3d Blu rays , in full hd 3D, so i'm witing for a 3D version and the reciever ill buy, probably a Yamaha 765, that has hdmi 1.4 at least. I know i can buy PJ'sthat are not 3D and Reiceivers that are 1.3 hdmi for less, but i intent to be using the gear for many years since i don't have money to burn, and i can't go and spend the same amount of money again next year, so for me it's just sitting it out for the update of the HW15, and cross my fingers it will actually be 3D, realy don't know if they can implement it on those SXRD moddels for around the same price.

I actually forgot about the audio all together, until i looked at the connectionss on my PS3, and thought, hey if i hook that thing up to my PJ were will the audio come from ,lol.

I have a complicated stereo set up with 4 Quad esl 57's and 2 Decca tweeters ( i tried to build the HQD system from Mark Levinson from the 80's), with 4 separate amps, and i was hoping to just hook up in analog stereo, but that won't be possible , so i also have to go and buy a seperate audio ssytem for warching movies, wasn't counting on that at for hand.

But since it will be a while for the HW15 to get updated i can spned some of the money i saved for the PJ at a sound system first.
ritter's Avatar ritter 03:43 PM 07-07-2010
How are colorized b&w films in 3D?
DJData's Avatar DJData 04:27 PM 07-07-2010
Hahaha thats because of the esl 57's that you ask that ;-), realy dont know, i have some of the old style 3d movies with the bleu/red glasses, those are fun to watch on a hd tv/imac27inch, they look almost b&w too, but are still fun to watch ;-).

And of course its not like you cant watch regular Bd movies on a 3D PJ so i only see it as an extra .

Btw i love my ESL 57's Electrostatic speakers they have a sound i realy like, and they are completley rebuild so the components are not from the 60's any more ;-).
ac388's Avatar ac388 09:28 PM 07-07-2010
I was at a farewell party last night for my tennis team n one of the guys happen to work for Sony. He hinted to me the next Sony 3D projector will be about HK$80,000(over US$10,000).

So, you guys can decide whether to wait or not.
DJData's Avatar DJData 01:47 AM 07-08-2010
If thats true thats a huge bummer for me, i don't have 10 grand not in 10 years .

Owell then ill just wait and see what the next gen HW15 will be, i'm gonna wait till after CEDIA before i decide what to do anyway thats for sure.

Hope your wrong , but i'm afraid your not .
YONEXSP's Avatar YONEXSP 08:03 AM 07-08-2010
Has anyone upgraded from a VPL-VW60 to the HW15?

Was it worth it?
greg1292's Avatar greg1292 01:37 PM 07-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritter View Post

Thanks. What about Brightness setting?

Do you think 2.8 is really necessary? Hard to imagine doubling gain when increasing screen area by "only" 25% though I suspect the correlation is exponential and not linear.

Anyone else using a +120" screen- what gain?

Finally both HD test discs I have make no reference to setting Hue- why is that? Older SD DVE dvd used to have a test pattern to measure and test. Is hue now irrelevant with HD?

I have been playing with the rcp processing and the overlaping of the 6 colors has made a huge improvement in the picture. Will need to redo the color gain settings this week. But this alone gets rid of most all the color noise in the image.

All I can say is the 128 "HP and iris turned off is hard to beat. Black levels are great and the pop in the picture is amazing. I have tried this projector on 1.3 da-lite screen at the store I work in and feel it is a poor choice over the HP. Hi lamp mode and the picture had no pop kind of boring actually and that
was on 106" screen. Your in the 120" need more gain. Draper 2.5 would also be a good choice.

Just trying to help but I feel you can't have enough gain and I am in a bat cave. No I am not blind 20-15 vision!

standard mode
cinema black on
br 51, contrast 86
sharpness 25
color 48
gamma 3
color wide
low lamp mode!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rcp only have adjusted overlapping.

I watched a few movies last night and color is about spot on but a touch to much yellow.

I could not be happier with this projector and smile every time I watch it.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ritter's Avatar ritter 04:17 PM 07-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1292 View Post

I have been playing with the rcp processing and the overlaping of the 6 colors has made a huge improvement in the picture. Will need to redo the color gain settings this week. But this alone gets rid of most all the color noise in the image.

All I can say is the 128 "HP and iris turned off is hard to beat. Black levels are great and the pop in the picture is amazing. I have tried this projector on 1.3 da-lite screen at the store I work in and feel it is a poor choice over the HP. Hi lamp mode and the picture had no pop kind of boring actually and that
was on 106" screen. Your in the 120" need more gain. Draper 2.5 would also be a good choice.

Just trying to help but I feel you can't have enough gain and I am in a bat cave. No I am not blind 20-15 vision!

standard mode
cinema black on
br 51, contrast 86
sharpness 25
color 48
gamma 3
color wide

I watched a few movies last night and color is about spot on but a touch to much yellow.

Regardless of what I end up with thanks for the input and advice. Sharing is caring.
BBB_63's Avatar BBB_63 07:15 AM 07-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 View Post

I was at a farewell party last night for my tennis team n one of the guys happen to work for Sony. He hinted to me the next Sony 3D projector will be about HK$80,000(over US$10,000).

So, you guys can decide whether to wait or not.

Well, thanks for sharing..

If that's true, Sony will once again get their tails kicked by the vendors who "get it" and bring a decent product to market at a viable price point..

Sony's arrogance on pricing has cost them sales with me in the past..and if their first 3D PJ is $10K+, it will cost them another, as I'm sure EVERY major mfg will have a 3D PJ shown at Cedia and available 2-6 months after, at more mainstream prices..
ritter's Avatar ritter 10:13 AM 07-09-2010
Quote:

standard mode
cinema black on
br 51, contrast 86
sharpness 25
color 48
gamma 3
color wide

These settings are not far off my own:

standard mode
cinema black on
br 60,
contrast 81
sharpness 50
color 51
hue 50
gamma 3
color wide

I ran the DVE tests and it seemed more Brightness was necessary/ok.
Also, increasing sharpness did not seem to introduce much if any noise- I could have gone higher.

Few follow up questions:

What is your Hue?

What is the practical difference between Color Wide and Narrow?

Tell me what settings you get after you do RCP. How should I calibrate/adjust it myself?

TIA
ac388's Avatar ac388 08:56 PM 07-09-2010
It seems Sony's marketing pattern had always been releasing their top model first n then 3-6 months later, their mid or entry level model.

However, I don't believe the mainstream 3D price will be at what 2D is now, since the market will be narrower n I, for one, do not like the idea of wearing a 3D glasses on top of my regular glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB_63 View Post

Well, thanks for sharing..

If that's true, Sony will once again get their tails kicked by the vendors who "get it" and bring a decent product to market at a viable price point..

Sony's arrogance on pricing has cost them sales with me in the past..and if their first 3D PJ is $10K+, it will cost them another, as I'm sure EVERY major mfg will have a 3D PJ shown at Cedia and available 2-6 months after, at more mainstream prices..

greg1292's Avatar greg1292 08:54 AM 07-10-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritter View Post

These settings are not far off my own:

standard mode
cinema black on
br 60,
contrast 81
sharpness 50
color 51
hue 50
gamma 3
color wide

I ran the DVE tests and it seemed more Brightness was necessary/ok.
Also, increasing sharpness did not seem to introduce much if any noise- I could have gone higher.

Few follow up questions:

What is your Hue?

What is the practical difference between Color Wide and Narrow?

Tell me what settings you get after you do RCP. How should I calibrate/adjust it myself?

TIA

Hope to have time this weekend. Will concentrate on the RCP and will post
some results. Haven't messed with the hue yet but will dive into it when I am driving my kids to softball games. What screen are you using? To me wide
the colors have more pop to them and narrow is what I use when a movie
was mixed and over saturated.
ritter's Avatar ritter 12:18 PM 07-10-2010
Hcmw 1.3
YONEXSP's Avatar YONEXSP 09:35 AM 07-15-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier1 View Post

Greg, good to hear you are happy, especially coming from a G70 owner. Not a PJ owner yet, but just curious to hear if the 2.8 screen have any sort of visible texture? Thats the only thing that would hold me back from a high power screen, but I admit ignorance on the subject.

I just switched to the Sony from my CRT NEC XGLC, which was dialed in perfectly and calibrated.

OK, just spent the last 5 hrs with the Sony

1 Word: STUNNING!!

Aside from absolute fade to black which is not quite as good as my XG, but damn near close for me, it's is amazing!

The colours out of the box are incredible, easily the match for my XG. The sharpness is fantastic, and the smooth LOCOS image is drop dead gorgeous, definitely more CRT like than the DLP I tried.

I used the auto Iris, and not once when watching lots of different material could I detect it when it adjusted. It really works well.

The unit is for all practical purposes silent, more noise came from outside then the PJ.

The ANSI contrast blows the XG away, on mixed scenes the image just pops out, and don't get me started on pixar movies. Holy crap, 3D depth and again, the colours!!!!! Freakin amazing. It's easily as 3D like as my CRT.

I'm sure it can be tweaked, but honestly, I would not even be bothered, I was blown away.

I even used the convergence feature, and it is just like old times. It does not have zone adjustments, but what it does have is good enough.

Bottom line, it beats the crap out of CRT in every aspect except the rare fade to black, and even then unless the fade scene goes beyond 3 -4 seconds, you don't notice because your eyes don't adjust quick enough. It's got so much more punch than the CRT with the brightness.

I tested this on a homemade 106" Behr ultra white screen.

STUNNING!!!!!!!!!

Best Projector I have ever tried. I test drove a Mitsubishi HC6800 yesterday on a Firehawk screen, and the Sony blew it to pieces.
greg1292's Avatar greg1292 01:59 PM 07-15-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP View Post

I just switched to the Sony from my CRT NEC XGLC, which was dialed in perfectly and calibrated.

OK, just spent the last 5 hrs with the Sony

1 Word: STUNNING!!

Aside from absolute fade to black which is not quite as good as my XG, but damn near close for me, it's is amazing!

The colours out of the box are incredible, easily the match for my XG. The sharpness is fantastic, and the smooth LOCOS image is drop dead gorgeous, definitely more CRT like than the DLP I tried.

I used the auto Iris, and not once when watching lots of different material could I detect it when it adjusted. It really works well.

The unit is for all practical purposes silent, more noise came from outside then the PJ.

The ANSI contrast blows the XG away, on mixed scenes the image just pops out, and don't get me started on pixar movies. Holy crap, 3D depth and again, the colours!!!!! Freakin amazing. It's easily as 3D like as my CRT.

I'm sure it can be tweaked, but honestly, I would not even be bothered, I was blown away.

I even used the convergence feature, and it is just like old times. It does not have zone adjustments, but what it does have is good enough.

Bottom line, it beats the crap out of CRT in every aspect except the rare fade to black, and even then unless the fade scene goes beyond 3 -4 seconds, you don't notice because your eyes don't adjust quick enough. It's got so much more punch than the CRT with the brightness.

I tested this on a homemade 106" Behr ultra white screen.

STUNNING!!!!!!!!!

Best Projector I have ever tried. I test drove a Mitsubishi HC6800 yesterday on a Firehawk screen, and the Sony blew it to pieces.

We been around crt for awhile and glad your happy. Every time I watch it
I just smile and it is nice to still play with convergence for old time sake
Mine was dead on with nothing to adjust. Just think if you got a HP screen
you would totally freak out. The LCOS is amazing and like you said fade to black is over rated but I don't even use the iris and I am blown away.
In a nut shell there is really nothing to adjust just enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!
18628239's Avatar 18628239 02:24 PM 07-15-2010
Yone, glad you are getting positive results from the transition.
YONEXSP's Avatar YONEXSP 06:59 PM 07-15-2010
Quote:

We been around crt for awhile and glad your happy. Every time I watch it
I just smile and it is nice to still play with convergence for old time sake
Mine was dead on with nothing to adjust. Just think if you got a HP screen
you would totally freak out. The LCOS is amazing and like you said fade to black is over rated but I don't even use the iris and I am blown away.
In a nut shell there is really nothing to adjust just enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah HP would be amazing. I don't think I can, as mine will be ceiling mounted, and Jason T has been kind enough to provide me some advice which is spot on.

With 2 rows and a riser planned it would be to tricky to have it at eye'ish level.

+ After what I saw last night, I don;t think it really needs it, as I have a batcave
greg1292's Avatar greg1292 09:19 AM 07-19-2010
Ya your right mine is on a shelf right behind me. I know why we all have bat caves!!!!!!!!!!!!! C.R.T a blast from the past. I might try with some ambient light around the screen
to see what that is all about. Other than that how's the weather Guess not much else to talk about with Hw-15...........
plain fan's Avatar plain fan 07:13 PM 07-20-2010
Coming from a Barco Graphics 800 CRT myself...
YONEXSP's Avatar YONEXSP 06:41 PM 07-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain fan View Post

Coming from a Barco Graphics 800 CRT myself...

How do you find it?
zergman's Avatar zergman 04:29 PM 07-23-2010
So I've never owned a projector and I'm having serious issues finding a lcd/plasma that I'm happy with based on what I read here on the forums so I'm curious if something like this could be used in my family room as my TV. I have two LARGE windows with blinds, now normally I only watch TV 5-10 hours a week with my wife and normally after the kids go off to bed around 8pm so its fairly dark depending on the time of year. Any advice would be great.
plain fan's Avatar plain fan 05:01 PM 07-23-2010
I'm still working on the media room so I haven't had an opportunity to watch a full length movie with it but from a rough setup, I like it quite a bit. Hopefully in a month or so!
greg1292's Avatar greg1292 04:03 PM 07-25-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by zergman View Post

So I've never owned a projector and I'm having serious issues finding a lcd/plasma that I'm happy with based on what I read here on the forums so I'm curious if something like this could be used in my family room as my TV. I have two LARGE windows with blinds, now normally I only watch TV 5-10 hours a week with my wife and normally after the kids go off to bed around 8pm so its fairly dark depending on the time of year. Any advice would be great.

You need a light cannon the Sony is made for a dedicated home theater but can work with more light control than what you have.. There is a couple of 1080p cannons for under 1000.00 if your not sensitive to rainbows? Good Luck.
drhankz's Avatar drhankz 04:46 PM 07-25-2010
Quote:

You need a light cannon the Sony is made for a dedicated home theater but can work with more light control than what you have.. There is a couple of 1080p cannons for under 1000.00 if your not sensitive to rainbows? Good Luck.

I use the Vivitek H1080FD for a light cannon - NO RAINBOWS
Tallguy71's Avatar Tallguy71 02:00 AM 07-26-2010
Hi Guys,

I am encountering an issue with my VPL-HW 15 and perhaps someone can shed some lights on this..

The situation:
  • Projector is relatively new and has around 160 hours on it.
  • Its connected to Blue Ray Player via a HTS Receiver (Monitor out on receiver) and both connections are with HDMI cable. Both player and receiver are from Philips.

The problem:
  • Every now and then when watching a Blue Ray movie the screen goes suddenly Blue'
  • It somehow is not able to pick up the video signal and shows just the blue screen and turning everything off and on seems to resolve the problem.
(I have already checked all connections, tried various source' settings etc etc. but the only thing that works is turning everything off, disconnect from power and wait ten minutes and try again)

Anyone?????

All support is appreciated. IF the projector works it's the best image I could ask for!!

THANX!!!
greg1292's Avatar greg1292 07:26 AM 07-26-2010
Try just plugging in the bluray player and let me know if it works
plain fan's Avatar plain fan 07:03 PM 07-27-2010
Was it ever confirmed that the projected image can be shifted by up to (I think, don't have manual in front of me) 25% in the vertical direction when hung from the ceiling?
Tags: Sony Vplhw15 Home Theater Sxrd Projector
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop