Official Sony VPL-HW15 Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2011, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Raise the sharpness to 50. I cannot see any edge enhancement/ringing on test patterns until I raise it beyond 50. With program material it probably can be raised even further without noticing negative effects. I'm think on my projector that 50 is the neutral setting - i.e. less is softer and more is artificial enhancement. FYI - I also use the pixel alignment adjustment, it works well for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac388 View Post

In your case, is it the focus is off when unit is cold n then right on when unit is warmup, or the other way around?

Other way round. Focus is better when cold then drifts as the projector warms up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJohnson1712 View Post

Raise the sharpness to 50. I cannot see any edge enhancement/ringing on test patterns until I raise it beyond 50. With program material it probably can be raised even further without noticing negative effects. I'm think on my projector that 50 is the neutral setting - i.e. less is softer and more is artificial enhancement. FYI - I also use the pixel alignment adjustment, it works well for me.

Thanks I will try 50. My other settings are as far as I remember:
cinema preset
colour temp 3
gamma 3
colour space normal
iris on auto 1
lamp high
Others settings untouched (haven't yet calibrated) except colour set to 60-65 can't remember now (default is 50) and sharpness set to 30 (default is 10).
gamma 3 is dark, gamma 4 is much brighter which I like but the picture looks washed out, blacks especially (light grey)
colour space wide looks way oversaturated and colour space normal looks well not so far from black and white
I have seen a review using gamma 4 and colour space set to wide but colour lowered from the default 50 to 40, so will try this.

Btw this is on a hw20 I'm not sure how different is this from an hw15, never having seen one.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, I did hit the lens button when cold n after 45 min., both focus were right on, even when I inspected it 2-3ft. away.

Maybe we have different screen n setting, I have my HW15 with Color space Wide n Auto Iris 2.

Man see things as they were n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
Old 03-22-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I did hit the lens button when cold n after 45 min., both focus were right on, even when I inspected it 2-3ft. away.

Maybe we have different screen n setting, I have my HW15 with Color space Wide n Auto Iris 2.

That's good, yours definately doesn't have a problem then.
I want to reset the optical shift to see if it helps with sharpness. On my last projector sharpness wasn't affected by the optical shift but sharpness wasn't an issue either. On that projector turning the knobs when you reached the middle point they would click & lock into place.
On the Sony this doesn't happen and I don't see any markings on the knobs either suggesting the default position. How do I center my lense? The projector sits on a very big shelf so can be centered very easily. If I had known the optical shift cannot be zeroed out I wouldn't have used it. Now where did I put that manual?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

What do u mean by Optical shift ? Is it the Lens shift ? If yes, I don't believe it has anything to do with sharpness.

However, did u check the Panel alignment lately ? Because I have never seen my projector this sharp after the Sony man re-align it recently.

Man see things as they were n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
Old 03-23-2011, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes it is the lens shift.
I will redo the panel alignment using various test patterns I have. The sony pattern screen is pretty blurry even upclose. I cannot distinct individual pixels.
After the alignment are your values around the 1-2 mark or did something need 5 let's say.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

After alignment, my values are H:-5 n V: -9 on Red panel n forgot what's on the blue panel.

The Sony serviceman said it varies from unit to unit, but he said on all the units he inspected, he had not found any unit that does not need alignment.
So, for users that never touch the Panel alignment feature, there is a big chance they have been watching an un-align pictures n thought there is something wrong with the unit's Focus or Sharpness.

It is still hard for me to believe Sony never elaborate such an important issue to user, n among all my friends that either have a Hw-10, 15, 20, 80 n 85, 90% of them still leave the Panel alignment in the OFF position after calibrating it or never touch it.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

After alignment, my values are H:-5 n V: -9 on Red panel n forgot what's on the blue panel.

The Sony serviceman said it varies from unit to unit, but he said on all the units he inspected, he had not found any unit that does not need alignment.
So, for users that never touch the Panel alignment feature, there is a big chance they have been watching an un-align pictures n thought there is something wrong with the unit's Focus or Sharpness.

It is still hard for me to believe Sony never elaborate such an important issue to user, n among all my friends that either have a Hw-10, 15, 20, 80 n 85, 90% of them still leave the Panel alignment in the OFF position after calibrating it or never touch it.

+100!

You have saved this poor owner. I had accepted the lack of sharpness as a consequence of the LCOS technology but now I see this myth is false. Detail and sharpness have greatly improved after I went through the panel alignment and the benefit to both SD and HD is astounding! I'm finally getting all the 1920x1080 pixels I paid for!

Folks, if you haven't even touched the panel alignment (and left it ON), you are not tapping into the full potential of this projector!

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I really hope buyers pay attention to this Panel alignment thing. Since yesterday i just ran into another new owner of VW-90ES(latest top-of-the-line 3D projector), the shop that he bought the unit from, helped him to install n calibrate it, again made the same mistake leaving it in the OFF position after alignment.

Maybe the moderator should put this issue to attention for all recent Sony units.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

What test pattern are most of you using to align the panels?

Thanks,

Darren
Old 04-08-2011, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I use the one that is built-in with the HW15 n don't think u can use an external pattern.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:45 AM

Hi, I have a planar pd7150 720p projector. I Can get the HW15 for really cheap and can finally jump on the 1080p band wagon. My only conern is that the planar on projector central's calculator pro gives me 26fl. Whether that's true or not i don't know. I have the projector 16 feet back from the screen and the screen is 125" diagonally. The picture is plenty bright on low mode, and the picture looks stunning. Now when i put the Sony on the calculator pro using the same distance and screen size it gives me a FL of 9. That's third the brightness of the planar. Could this be right? According to the reviews it seems the sony at cinema mode is pretty bright. The planar has 1000 ansi lumens and 5000:1 contrast ratio. Projector is in a dark room.
Thanks
Old 05-27-2011, 11:40 AM

Hey gang I've joined the group and bought a Vpl Hw15 , but have sort of an urgent question.
The projector had 30 hours on the lamp (you may have seen my post elsewhere).
I sent them an email about this (did I buy a refurb or a return?) and they immediately started return procedures, sent me a UPS label etc.
I hadn't expected this, I thought they'd offer a new bulb or a further discount.

So I guess my question is;
Are there any common problems with this unit? I may decline the return if I can determine if this unit is totally in order. Partially because I'd be surprised if they have any more Vpl Hw15s and I may just end up with credit from the company and no projector!
I haven't made it thru this whole thread yet but I'm working on it (They need it back 5 days from yesterday to honor the swap).
Old 06-13-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARUE View Post

Hey gang I've joined the group and bought a Vpl Hw15 , but have sort of an urgent question.
The projector had 30 hours on the lamp (you may have seen my post elsewhere).
I sent them an email about this (did I buy a refurb or a return?) and they immediately started return procedures, sent me a UPS label etc.
I hadn't expected this, I thought they'd offer a new bulb or a further discount.

So I guess my question is;
Are there any common problems with this unit? I may decline the return if I can determine if this unit is totally in order. Partially because I'd be surprised if they have any more Vpl Hw15s and I may just end up with credit from the company and no projector!
I haven't made it thru this whole thread yet but I'm working on it (They need it back 5 days from yesterday to honor the swap).

It depends if the seller is trustworthy or not. He can pull the lamp out reset the clock and resend the same pj. IMHO it's a bit of a shame that they sent you one with 30 hrs on it.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:26 AM

O btw there are no issues on this pj. Using it for over 12 months now. Very sweet machine.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:58 AM

Now Sony Style is asking $2699.99 for a refurbed unit, which seems like a joke after last years $1699.99 deal!
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665981651
Unless they're in cahoots with Dell, who sent me a return or refurb unit as new. I spent $1999.99, now they can point to Sony's price and claim "Look what they're charging! You got a hell of a deal!"

~LARUE
Old 07-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Can anyone suggest a reputable source for OEM bulb replacements for the HW15 and other Sony projectors?

Docray1
Old 07-27-2011, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Of all places... I found Amazon has 'em
Old 07-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hornfeck View Post
Of all places... I found Amazon has 'em
Is this the OEM Sony bulb and mount? It is hard to tell at some of these places! The Sony one comes in a "SONY" box with a replacement filter.

Docray1
Old 07-27-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

OK... I found the SONY bulb (LMP-H201) on Amazon for the HW15, it's available from OneCall (for $299.98) and I highly recommend them. I also found the LMP-H201 on Sony's website for close to $400 -- and B&H was reasonable at under $300 w/FREE S&H.

So... you see the SONY original bulb kits are in the $300-369 range while the others are someone's attempt to rebulb an old Sony housing...
Old 07-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks. I wonder what other owners have experienced with some of these other bulb replacements; I've found a few companies claiming to sell the original Sony part for around $150, but it seems too good to be true (which means it probably is!)

Docray1
Old 07-27-2011, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Andrew and Docray1,

How many hours on your HW15s o far? And how is the brightness?

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
Andrew and Docray1,

How many hours on your HW15s o far? And how is the brightness?

Thanks.
750 or so on mine; no disernable brightness change so far. I love this projector and just want to be prepared for when the bulb fails. I have heard of some supply issues for some of the slightly older projector bulbs.

Docray1
Old 07-27-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually I don't have the HW15, instead I own the 1280x720p AW15 which uses the LMP-H160. I've owned this since July of the year it was released and had the "bit" with the bulb sub-500 hours in which I got Sony to replace the bulb. At 3,000 hours on this bulb (I run the "cinema" low-brightness setting) it began displaying the "Replace Bulb" banner upon every power-on sequence. I now have 3,360 hours and have decided to UP the wattage to the "standard" light/wattage setting to improve Whites and contrast. While it still runs, I suspect it's getting dull at such a low pace that I still think it's White. I say this because I did replace a bulb on my old VPL-VW10HT (after seems like 2,400~2,600 hours) and the difference was spectacular! I never would have believed how washed out the Whites had gotten... so my point is, bulbs do lose brightness with age eventhough you'd think they just go *pop* and they're done.

I was just about to puchase a new bulb but have 2 issues:
1) a slight bearing squeal which concerns me about some eminent failure
2) awaiting some new Sony 1080p PJ for less than the $2,500~2,600 they cost today

Summary: I've got 3,360 cinema-hours on mine and it's still going.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Had an old HS60 and sold it after 4k hours on the same original bulb. The buyer was very happy w/ the price and the brightness.

I'm still using a Da-lite 2.8g HP screen but I could tell that bulb was getting dim though.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Now that I've 100 hours on my lamp. It's time to calibrate the projector. Based on page 20 by greg1292 using the method from the VW60 thread, how did one adjust the iris in the Service e menu?

STEP 9. - Other menu for iris adjustment 0,1023,723,677,676.

I went to the Service/Device/Other, but only can do 0 or 1.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:28 PM

How long could you expect a hw15 will live?
Do they wear out, what could break after a certain amount of hours and so on?

Of course the lamp wears out, but apart from that?
Old 08-02-2011, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pungis View Post

How long could you expect a hw15 will live?
Do they wear out, what could break after a certain amount of hours and so on?

Of course the lamp wears out, but apart from that?

Great question.

Now that many projectors use mostly inorganic elements in their optical block, the life of the projector has been extended. I see no reason you could not get use lamp after lamp after lamp. And when you figure 2-3K hours per lamp, you can see the projector might last much longer than you might care to keep it.

There was some discussion that the Sony SXRD polarizers may degrade and offer less native on/off contrast over time, but I never saw any evidence of such degradation.

I wish I knew just how long the hw15, or any other Sony SXRD might last. I'd really like to know.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

Old 08-03-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Great question.

Now that many projectors use mostly inorganic elements in their optical block, the life of the projector has been extended. I see no reason you could not get use lamp after lamp after lamp. And when you figure 2-3K hours per lamp, you can see the projector might last much longer than you might care to keep it.

There was some discussion that the Sony SXRD polarizers may degrade and offer less native on/off contrast over time, but I never saw any evidence of such degradation.

I wish I knew just how long the hw15, or any other Sony SXRD might last. I'd really like to know.

Who has the record on their hw10/15 here?

I just bought one with 2000 hours on it, and 1 year waranty. Just realized I'd probably sell it after a year tho and get the HW20, so it shouldnt matter to me
Old 10-03-2011, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When would you guy recommend changing the bulb?

Mine has 1600+ hrs on it now, thinking of putting in the spare bulb and keep the old one as the spare.

Do you think there will be a big difference in picture quality?

Tags
Sony Vplhw15 Home Theater Sxrd Projector