Official Sony VPL-HW15 Thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2016, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 48
For the filter, any place you can get it is fine. To me, it's a cheap piece of foam for a $3k projector that retails for $30. It's a crime.

You could get one from eBay for $16 or Amazon's value-added $25.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2016, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
For the filter, any place you can get it is fine. To me, it's a cheap piece of foam for a $3k projector that retails for $30. It's a crime.

You could get one from eBay for $16 or Amazon's value-added $25.
Is one piece of cheap foam better than another piece of cheap foam? For example, is the original just a cheap piece of foam, or does it have electrostatic properties? Does the original filter do a better job of stopping dust than a random cheap piece of foam? Does some random piece of cheap foam break down and contaminate the internals of the projector? Does it off-gas chemicals that could cause degradation to the components within? Can I cut it to fit as perfectly as the original? Personally, I do not know how to answer those questions, and as you observed, it is a $3000 projector, so I would prefer to have a filter that is actually intended to fit the machine.

Mark Schneider, Cable Solutions
Old 01-02-2016, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 48
To an untrained eye, the original felt like a cheap piece of foam but I could be dead wrong. The first time I opened a pj with the filter, I thought that it was a sick joke. My furnace's Merv filter runs me $70/year but it is very well made.

Unlike the lamp, I always go for the Osram or Philips but not filter.

Maybe someone else can shed a light on pj filter technology.

How To Improvise Foam Projector Air Filter?
Old 01-02-2016, 02:51 PM

Well, I agree that it's not a great-looking filter. And mine is torn, so apparently not very strong either.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:17 PM

I just wanted to follow up for anyone else who might be seeking a genuine replacement air filter for the VPL-HW15. I was able to buy one from Sony's Supply Chain partner, Encompass for $6.49 plus S/H and sales tax. The part number is 3-875-777-01. They show it as the replacement for these models:

Sony VPLHW10
Sony VPLVW70
Sony VPLHW55ES
Sony VPLHW40ES
Sony VPLHW30ES

Of course the VPLHW15 is physically identical to the VPLHW10, even though it's not included on the list, so it may also be appropriate for some other unlisted models as well.

So no need to spend $15 on a generic replacement that has to then be cut to fit, and no concerns about damage to the projector as a result of inferior materials. By the way, you don't have to be a dealer in order to buy this filter. With respect for the forum rules, I did not include a link, but feel free to PM me if you can't find it. Or if a moderator would bless it, I could also add it to the thread.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does any of you have broken hw15 that has something else broken than main board. I have one with broken main board (QA board) and new one cost a fortune... (~600€).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sony Vplhw15 Home Theater Sxrd Projector