Official Sony VPL-HW15 Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-25-2009, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi CPC,
You say the 1.27 zoom will reduce your contrast #s from 8000 to 7000. Could you point me to your resource for that? Something I haven't run across. Thanks. I don't have much choice in my room, I'll have to position at min distance to fill my wallmounted 106" screen, but nonetheless, would like to understand the limitations of my setup ... useful for future installations.

Michael Burton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 07:18 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbspike View Post

Hi CPC,
You say the 1.27 zoom will reduce your contrast #s from 8000 to 7000. Could you point me to your resource for that? Something I haven't run across. Thanks. I don't have much choice in my room, I'll have to position at min distance to fill my wallmounted 106" screen, but nonetheless, would like to understand the limitations of my setup ... useful for future installations.

I'm really getting nitty gritty here. I am only going by the test results of the reviewer that I rear elsewhere. His name is Anbjornk, and he has made many measurements. I refered to them in the first page of this thread. I say "about" 7000:1 because it's not 100% set in stone, it's just his measurements. Here is my post where I repeat his measurements:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post17315405

You can see that with minimum zoom, with the projector farthest away, you get the highest contrast and the lowest light. With the most zoom and the projector closest, you get the lowest contrast and highest light output. That's the way it generally is. I just made a rough calculation based on my distance and zoom amount for screen size, multiplying by the contrast numbers he came up with. So my guess of 7000:1 is an approximate calc based on the above.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:40 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Saw the first Canadian online price for the Sony HW15 and it's less than the HW10 has been recently, but just barely. Not very impressive.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

Saw the first Canadian online price for the Sony HW15 and it's less than the HW10 has been recently, but just barely. Not very impressive.

I don't understand. The HW15 is an upgrade in performance and cost less than the HW10, and that's not impressive?

Maybe you meant the HW10 should be cheaper.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

Old 10-30-2009, 06:35 PM

What an upgrade!
Sold my HS10 last week.
HW15 arrived yesterday.

Considering my situation (evening movie watching, no interest in FI for the moment), I find it hard to imagine it looking any better.
I'm sure there are projectors with better stats, but suspect I'd find any differences minimal. After 5 gens of 1080p, it seems like the 2 to 3k range gives you some amazing choices, and if you narrow down selection to the features, and brightness you need, then cut it down to your price range, and throw out anything that worries you, based on multiple reviewerer issues, you could throw a dart at the remaining projector list, and be happy with your choice.

I had a good discount on the Sony, which pushed it over the finish line, else I likely would have gone for the Panasonic AE4000U, or the Epson 8500UB, and been quite happy as well. I posted a similar comment elsewhere, and I'll stick with my same conclusion:
... Life is good.

Michael Burton
Old 10-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Odi

Found that first Canadian online retailer that lists it and ordered it. The price was what I was hoping for, and I have done business with them before.

I wonder how long before they get it in stock and ship it out.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is it 35% better than the ae4000? I have no idea, but I would find that hard to believe actually. I am basing the 35% on current pricing of 2K vs 2.7K. I would actually prefer the sony if it were cheaper and support anamorphic stretch. But no, typical sony, it has less features on the whole and is 35% more expensive. And we have the epson 8500 coming out for likey under 2.5K. I don't know - I want to like it, but my practical side is shouting that there better or equal PJs out there for much less money.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:22 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

I don't understand. The HW15 is an upgrade in performance and cost less than the HW10, and that's not impressive?

Maybe you meant the HW10 should be cheaper.

The HW15's in the US appear to be selling at or approx $200 below US MSRP. The Canadian HW15 is seling for $150 CDN more than the converted US MSRP. I can't find the Canadian MSRP yet.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Just got my SONY VPL-HW 15, firts pics are here :

http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/proje...ge-t30567.html

I will post my full review before the end of next week with measures, photos and videos.

My first opinion it's a real good projector, with a pretty good native contrast and very good colors out of the box.

Visit the new pjhc.fr forum here : http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/forum/
Old 11-03-2009, 02:01 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

A member of the Digital Home Canada posted these links. I thought some Canadian AVS members may be interested so I have posted the links here.

For Canadians, True, North, Strong....and.....Free Blu-Ray player

a press release from the Sony biz dot ca website, and another free Blu-Ray offer:

http://www.sonybiz.ca/common/en_CA/h...HW15%20_2_.pdf

Quote:

SONY - for immediate release
BRAVIA SXRD Model Features High Contrast and Exceptional Performance
October 6, 2009 –Toronto-Ontario, Sony of Canada Ltd., Canada’s leading electronic and
computer products solutions provider for consumers and business announces a new high-contrast,
high-definition projector, adding more options for those looking for a true cinematic home
theater experience.
The new VPL-VW85 projector features a full HD 1920 x 1080 progressive Silicon X-tal
Reflective Display (SXRD™) and 24p True Cinema™ technology, delivering a true film- like
performance. The new model also has an exceptionally high dynamic contrast of 120,000:1 and
brightness of 800 ANSI lumens.
Specifically designed with the custom ins tallation market in mind, the VPL-VW85 has a
motorized, fully adjustable, ‘lens shift’ function that offers more options in terms of installation
and projector placement, without any image distortion. Additionally, the lens offers a 1.6x
motorized zoom with horizontal and vertical adjustment, making it easy to set up in a variety of
environments.
The VPL-VW85 projector also adds Sony’s Motionflow™ 120Hz with black frame
insertion technology, providing exceptional clarity and resolution for fast moving images. The
model also features Sony’s Anamorphic Zoom Mode that, when paired with an external
anamorphic lens (sold separately), allows users to enjoy a true big screen home theater
experience.
The new projector offers RS-232C control, as well as two HDMI inputs, single
component and composite inputs, and a PC input.
The VPL-VW85 will be available in October for a suggested retail price of $8,799.
For those who are looking to upgrade their existing Home Theatre experience, to the
stunning images produced by Sony SXRD, or who are new to home theatre and are looking for
great value, for their first system, Sony also introduced the VPL-HW15 SXRD projector. This
full HD 1080p model features 24p True Cinema™ technology, a 60,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
and a brightness of 1,000 ANSI lumens. It also offers RS-232 control, two HDMI inputs and
single component and composite inputs, as well as a PC input.
The VPL-HW15 projector will also be available October, for a suggested retail price of $3499.
About The Broadcast Communication Solutions Group
The Broadcast Communication Solutions (BCS) Group is a division of Sony of Canada Ltd.,
headquartered in Toronto, Ontario. BCS Group markets and supports Sony's full range of
broadcast, professional video and audio equipment, including high definition video, interactive
and security applications for the broadcast, production, business, industry, government, medical
and education sectors through a network of authorized systems integrators.
-more-
About Sony of Canada Ltd.
Established in 1955, Sony of Canada Ltd. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation of
Tokyo, Japan, a world leader in the manufacture and marketing of electronic and computer
products for consumer, business, electronics publishing and multimedia applications on a global
scale. With headquarters in Toronto, sales offices in Vancouver and Montreal and distribution
centres in Coquitlam, British Columbia, and Whitby, Ontario, approximately 1,200 employees
support a network of more than 500 authorized dealers and 80 Sony Style(R) retail locations
across Canada.
-30-
For further information, please visit us at www.sonybiz.ca or the Sony Canada newsroom at
www.sonybiz.ca/newsroom

http://www.sonybiz.ca/common/en_CA/h...ector_card.pdf

Quote:

Bonus Blu-ray player
with Home Theatre Projector Purchase
Receive a BONUS Blu-ray player (BDP-S360)
with the purchase of a VPL-HW10, VPL-HW15,
VPL-VW60, VPL-VW70 or VPL-VW85 home
theatre projector from a Sony of Canada Ltd.
authorized dealer.
See reverse for details.
www.sony.ca/projectors
Offer valid October 1, 2009 – February 28, 2010.
....and...
Purchases must be made from October 1, 2009 – February 28, 2010 inclusive.
Coupon expires February 28, 2010. Mail in redemption must be post marked no
later than midnight March 31, 2010. Not legal tender. Offer valid only in Canada.....

Well, it's been a while, but I suppose I should review the sources I was checking out for the HW10 last time around and get some more pricing for the HW15.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am curious as to the light output descrepancy between projectorreviews and projectorcentral. Projector reviews has the HW15 @ 538 calibrated in cinema mode mid zoom, which if using the dynamic zoom differences in the article, full brightness is about 584 lumens. This is in contrast to projector centrals review which claims it is one of the brightest "best" mode PJs out there @ 830 lumens which is a substantial difference. I am considering this over the Panny 4000 mostly for brightness and possible native contrast improvements as well as sealed light path, but if its best mode is as low as projector reviews states, it is barely brighter than the Panny.

In the projector centrals shoot out, it was mentioned how much brighter the Sony is over the Panny. What gives.

Thanks,
Jonathon
Old 11-05-2009, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Full review is now online, sorry only in French, but you will find a lot of pics and one video :

Here you can see a direct comparaison between the JVC HD550 and the SONY HW 15 on the same screenshots :

http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/proje...t30567-45.html

Visit the new pjhc.fr forum here : http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/forum/
Old 11-05-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

Full review is now online, sorry only in French, but you will find a lot of pics and one video :

Here you can see a direct comparaison between the JVC HD550 and the SONY HW 15 on the same screenshots :

http://www.cinetson.org/phpBB3/proje...t30567-45.html

yay for google translate:

http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=
Old 11-05-2009, 12:25 PM

That seems to be a very glowing review of the HW15, even in comparison to the HD-550.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:58 PM

Add another one to the list.

I picked up my HW15 today from Visions.

MY theater isn't quite done, and I don't have my screen up, but I couldn't resist the deal they gave me.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:35 AM

for now i have an epson 1080ub,but im looking to change it for a sony vpl-hw15,but i like to know if i will have a gain on black level and contrast,anyone here have a chance to compare theses 2 projector

thank
Old 11-06-2009, 10:26 AM

Greetings from Finland.
Ok, I'm considering this pj mainly because the price, hw15 about 2300eur and Panasonic EA4000 about 2500eur. I have read articles from different places, and somewhere was said, that hw15 is even too bright? I have small room, about 3.5 x 4 meters, about 12' x 13' and it can be darkened completely. Can this be a problem?
Thanks.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:40 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBuster View Post

Add another one to the list.

I picked up my HW15 today from Visions.

MY theater isn't quite done, and I don't have my screen up, but I couldn't resist the deal they gave me.

The deal they gave you? Wow! That's incredible! You mean you got a free baby with the projector? That's really awesome. Kinda weird, but awesome.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickTop View Post

I am curious as to the light output descrepancy between projectorreviews and projectorcentral. Projector reviews has the HW15 @ 538 calibrated in cinema mode mid zoom, which if using the dynamic zoom differences in the article, full brightness is about 584 lumens. This is in contrast to projector centrals review which claims it is one of the brightest "best" mode PJs out there @ 830 lumens which is a substantial difference. I am considering this over the Panny 4000 mostly for brightness and possible native contrast improvements as well as sealed light path, but if its best mode is as low as projector reviews states, it is barely brighter than the Panny.

In the projector centrals shoot out, it was mentioned how much brighter the Sony is over the Panny. What gives.

Thanks,
Jonathon

You have to read the conditions. PJC got 830 lumens with the HW15 at it's maximum output and as close to the screen as they could get (full wide angle). Art's reviews (projectorreviews) are all done at mid-zoom, and Art got 837 lumens in the brightest mode.

The devil is in the details. In this game, impatience is not a virtue.

Some of PJC's statements are not entirely accurate. Again, read the fine print, and don't jump to conclusions. When set up the same way, the Panny is the brighter PJ, but the Sony is better in other factors. It all depends on what you are looking for. This is why I prefer Art's reviews, he provides a lot more details and discussion, but you have to be willing to read his entire review. Evan (PJC) provides the condensed version.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
Old 11-06-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjooseppi View Post

Greetings from Finland.
Ok, I'm considering this pj mainly because the price, hw15 about 2300eur and Panasonic EA4000 about 2500eur. I have read articles from different places, and somewhere was said, that hw15 is even too bright? I have small room, about 3.5 x 4 meters, about 12' x 13' and it can be darkened completely. Can this be a problem?
Thanks.

Hi,

HW15 should not be that bright for it to be a problem. If it would be too bright for your room, you can always consider a darker screen to get even better blacks.

BTW, where do you see the price of 2300 euros? I live in sweden, and here it is at best 2600 (still cheaper than the panasonic) I would seriously consider the sony if I could find it for 2300. Much more than the Pana
Old 11-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

You have to read the conditions. PJC got 830 lumens with the HW15 at it's maximum output and as close to the screen as they could get (full wide angle). Art's reviews (projectorreviews) are all done at mid-zoom, and Art got 837 lumens in the brightest mode.

The devil is in the details. In this game, impatience is not a virtue.

Some of PJC's statements are not entirely accurate. Again, read the fine print, and don't jump to conclusions. When set up the same way, the Panny is the brighter PJ, but the Sony is better in other factors. It all depends on what you are looking for. This is why I prefer Art's reviews, he provides a lot more details and discussion, but you have to be willing to read his entire review. Evan (PJC) provides the condensed version.

After rereading I still read it as maximum zoom is 830 in "best" mode at PJC and 538 in "best" mode, but mid zoom. That is how i figured the 584, by using the bigger numbers posted in "dynamic" or brightest mode on PR. So I read it as Panny is much brighter in bright mode, but not so in best mode. I am more concerned about best mode or calibrated mode. I find Arts reviews to be more thorough as well, but his lack of measurements makes me leery of his subjective black level assessment. That being said, it is nice to have these guys around to give their impressions of all these PJs since I will only get to see a few before I jump in.

Thanks,
Bricktop
Old 11-07-2009, 01:19 AM

The most thorough and well measured review I've seen on this is Ankbjörns at avforum.no

Projectorreviews seems to be totally off on the lumens in "best mode", also compared with other reviews on the net (projectorcentra, digitalversus, trusted reviews).
Old 11-07-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannat View Post

Hi,

HW15 should not be that bright for it to be a problem. If it would be too bright for your room, you can always consider a darker screen to get even better blacks.

BTW, where do you see the price of 2300 euros? I live in sweden, and here it is at best 2600 (still cheaper than the panasonic) I would seriously consider the sony if I could find it for 2300. Much more than the Pana

Ok, looks like the price is going upward, now it's about 2400 euros. Couple of days ago it was about 2350 eur. But I think that there aren't any HW15 in Finland yet...
multitronic.fi/index.php?setlang=sv
(Looks like I'm not able to use hyperlinks yet...)
It's webshop in Vasa, svenskspråkig even

How much Pana is in Sweden?
Old 11-07-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:

The deal they gave you? Wow! That's incredible! You mean you got a free baby with the projector? That's really awesome. Kinda weird, but awesome.

Yup, I told them I didn't need the free BD player, so they worked something out for me.

I hate mail-in rebates.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjooseppi View Post

Ok, looks like the price is going upward, now it's about 2400 euros. Couple of days ago it was about 2350 eur. But I think that there aren't any HW15 in Finland yet...
multitronic.fi/index.php?setlang=sv
(Looks like I'm not able to use hyperlinks yet...)
It's webshop in Vasa, svenskspråkig even

How much Pana is in Sweden?

Ok, tack.

Pana is 2900 euro in sweden 30000 SEK and for my taste it's not in the same ballpark as the Sonys picture quality.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:26 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBuster View Post

Yup, I told them I didn't need the free BD player, so they worked something out for me.

I hate mail-in rebates.

Wow, that baby is an awesome upgrade. What formats does it play? (ok, the horse is dead....)

On another note, I love how the Sony HW15 is available online in Canada at more than one place, and somebody here actually bought one and has it in their home, and yet, the Sony Canada / Sony-Style dot ca website has nothing on the HW15. That is kinda goofy. I bet there is HW10 stock out there lingering.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:49 PM

Just picked up a HW-15 from Visions here in Winnipeg. I ordered one 4 weeks ago. It showed up yesterday with the rest of their stock of the projector, so ordering early made no difference!

My basement is about 4 weeks from being finished. Can't wait to try this sucker out.

Aaron
Old 11-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are they giving credit for kids...?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:17 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by skattle91 View Post

I guess the price has raised again.

A change = to about $80 CDN. I wonder if it's a currency exchange thing?
Old 11-11-2009, 12:47 PM

Here is the official Canadian site for the projector, for those interested.

http://www.sonybiz.ca/solutions/Prod...ntryId=1007010

Tags
Sony Vplhw15 Home Theater Sxrd Projector