Epson 8500UB 200,000:1 CR - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2971 of 3635 Old 08-27-2010, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, my 8500 died again. The bulb failed at a little over 500 hours and the auto iris became so loud you couldn't use it for any movie. Well, the replacement arrived today. The picture looks beautiful--sharpest focus / convergence I've had to date (3rd time a charm?).

Here is my issue now, the color modes are of the 8100. There is no THX mode, and I have dynamic, neutral, theatre etc. Anybody else have this? Could Epson have lost the THX certification? The unit is an 8500 and has the THX sticker on the case, so that would seem a bit odd if that's the case.

From the service menu, I have the following:

P 020037647CWWV102
R 98S111
O ----
J 82A2WWV101

Looks to be the 102 firmware, but I have not seen the entire "p string" posted. Can anybody decode the info? (I'll be calling Monday to learn more)?

Did Epson change the firmware again? The "info" does indicate 12bit with a BD playing, so I think it has the heart of an 8500, but do you think I got a unit flashed with the v102 from the 8100?

edit: Does Epson still have a return shipping slip? The one didn't seem to come with anything in the box except for two pieces of paper (remove the yellow thing, and don't forget to return) taped to the unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 3635 Old 08-29-2010, 06:07 AM

This is my first time owning a projector for more than 4 months. Right now, with the power on Eco mode, after about 5 minutes, I am hearing a clicking noise. After another 10 minutes, that noise goes away. During the clicking noise, if I put power mode on normal, the clicking noise instantly goes away and comes back when I put it on Eco mode. Does anyone know if this is the fan or the lightbulb?

PSN ID Cyber125
post #2973 of 3635 Old 08-31-2010, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Chulo View Post

This is my first time owning a projector for more than 4 months. Right now, with the power on Eco mode, after about 5 minutes, I am hearing a clicking noise. After another 10 minutes, that noise goes away. During the clicking noise, if I put power mode on normal, the clicking noise instantly goes away and comes back when I put it on Eco mode. Does anyone know if this is the fan or the lightbulb?

Fans sometimes produce this type of 'noise'. It may disappear permanently after hours of use. As you might expect; mechanical interference and blade unbalance will produce odd sounds. I don't know if the fan speed changes with lamp mode. g
post #2974 of 3635 Old 09-03-2010, 12:13 PM

Just ordered one today! It should be here next week... I know I should have waited a couple of months for the new models to come out but my old rear projection was shot so I need to pick something up.. This is my first projector so I feel a little like a kid on christmas eve, filled with anticipation!

Robb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2975 of 3635 Old 09-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 39
So...

I had a pretty decent unit that was still on 101. I finally saw the red lines and decided to have the unit replaced. Got the unit installed and lined up and then I saw this....

Is this a dust blob...or whatever its called?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2976 of 3635 Old 09-04-2010, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 67
It looks like a dust blob. Let Epson know and they will clean or replace the unit. I would also check the convergence and for dead pixels.
post #2977 of 3635 Old 09-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Could someone enlighten me on how to check what firmware I have. I haven't had any issues or anything I would just like to know.

post #2978 of 3635 Old 09-05-2010, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

How to check the firmware: You may have to try it a few times to get it right.
You have to hit ESc, ESC, Right Left very fast after releasing the Hold menu for 5+ seconds.

-Hold menu for 5+ seconds release and immediatly
-Press Esc, Esc, Right, Left.

You will see a screen come up with information. The firmware information is will be listed under I believe a string of letters and numbers. It is the last numbers of P string, such as 100, 101, or 102.

P 020037647CWWV102

Example 102 firmware.

I believe 102 is the latest. Heyyal has 102 firmware.
post #2979 of 3635 Old 09-06-2010, 08:00 PM

Pictue quality question...

Football season is now here and was watching the first college games this weekend. For the most part, I have been very happy with the picture quality on the 8500ub but I am a projector newbie. Blue rays look great, HD on satellite looks great...

However, when I was watching the games this weekend, in HD, the close ups look great but the pan out/wide angle shots were blury. I have a plasma and a Sony HD that don't have these issues. Being a noob on projectors, is this a projector issue, a setting I have wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Other componenets: Running Onkyo SR707, DirecTV HD unit.
post #2980 of 3635 Old 09-07-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettmf View Post

Pictue quality question...

Football season is now here and was watching the first college games this weekend. For the most part, I have been very happy with the picture quality on the 8500ub but I am a projector newbie. Blue rays look great, HD on satellite looks great...

However, when I was watching the games this weekend, in HD, the close ups look great but the pan out/wide angle shots were blury. I have a plasma and a Sony HD that don't have these issues. Being a noob on projectors, is this a projector issue, a setting I have wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Other componenets: Running Onkyo SR707, DirecTV HD unit.

Hey Brett: I don't think this is a projector issue. Many broadcast activities are still using older non-HD equipment, especially for college football games. If it still happens for the pro-games, ask again. gil
post #2981 of 3635 Old 09-07-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Arroyo View Post

Hey Brett: I don't think this is a projector issue. Many broadcast activities are still using older non-HD equipment, especially for college football games. If it still happens for the pro-games, ask again. gil

This was a HD broadcast on ESPN so it wasn't a broadcast issue. The close shots looked great. It was the wide/panned shots that looked fuzzy/out of focus.
post #2982 of 3635 Old 09-07-2010, 06:16 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd View Post

I have a 6500 and this happened to me. Check the centerpost of the lamp. Mine ended up bent (I think it melted), and I attribute the falloff of light output to this. I also had a lamp completely die on me (but got a new one under the 90 day Epson warranty, and the centerpost was also bent (but more severely).

Very Interesting - It looks like I have a similar problem. I'm at 750 hours, and my 8500ub went really dim all of a sudden. Next day, the lamp doesn't come on and I'm getting the red, flashing led indicator. I fiddle with the projector a few times, and it eventually comes back on; however, this time the image is so dark it's almost unreadable. I pop out the lamp and sure enough, the actual light was sitting limp within the harness. Instead of point perpendicular with the harness, it was pointing down at about a 45 degree angle, and it looked the bonding compound may have just fried causing the light to slip down to an angle. Based on these comments, my guess is that the lamp suffered an early death? My question would be: could the projector cause such an issue, or did I just get a defective lamp? I definitely have good circulation and the filter is still really clean.

I'd be curious to see if any 8500ub owners have actually surpassed 2k hours with their alleged "4k hour" bulbs. Given the projector is less than a year old, I imagine the average user only has about 1k hours. I'm really hoping that whole 4k hour thing wasn't a huge gimmick. Coming from the pt-ax200, I'm starting to regret not upgrading to panny's 4000 unit.
post #2983 of 3635 Old 09-08-2010, 09:10 AM

Different equipment used on site for cameras, mixing, recording replays, etc. Not to worry. g
post #2984 of 3635 Old 09-08-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSuave View Post

Very Interesting - It looks like I have a similar problem. I'm at 750 hours, and my 8500ub went really dim all of a sudden. Next day, the lamp doesn't come on and I'm getting the red, flashing led indicator. I fiddle with the projector a few times, and it eventually comes back on; however, this time the image is so dark it's almost unreadable. I pop out the lamp and sure enough, the actual light was sitting limp within the harness. Instead of point perpendicular with the harness, it was pointing down at about a 45 degree angle, and it looked the bonding compound may have just fried causing the light to slip down to an angle. Based on these comments, my guess is that the lamp suffered an early death? My question would be: could the projector cause such an issue, or did I just get a defective lamp? I definitely have good circulation and the filter is still really clean.

I'd be curious to see if any 8500ub owners have actually surpassed 2k hours with their alleged "4k hour" bulbs. Given the projector is less than a year old, I imagine the average user only has about 1k hours. I'm really hoping that whole 4k hour thing wasn't a huge gimmick. Coming from the pt-ax200, I'm starting to regret not upgrading to panny's 4000 unit.

My lamp died at 995 hours with my 8500 being nearly 6 months old. I called Epson and told them what happened and they sent me a brand new lamp and said the lamp should have lasted much longer so they covered it under warranty. I love the picture, especially in HD football.
post #2985 of 3635 Old 09-08-2010, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

So as I am looking at an Epson - what is the best preventative way to avoid dust-blobs? I assume Epson only fixes it within the warranty so what is the approximate cost to fix something like this later and do you have to send it to Epson?

Thanks!
post #2986 of 3635 Old 09-08-2010, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Dust Blobs have no been a big issue for Epson units. There is a very good filter on the unit. I would suggest cleaning it every 100 hours. The best way to prevent dust blobs is to use the unit in a dust free as possible place. A good air filter could also help in the room.
post #2987 of 3635 Old 09-08-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

Dust Blobs have no been a big issue for Epson units. There is a very good filter on the unit. I would suggest cleaning it every 100 hours. The best way to prevent dust blobs is to use the unit in a dust free as possible place. A good air filter could also help in the room.

Thanks - clean place and clean the filter - easy enough

thanks
post #2988 of 3635 Old 09-08-2010, 05:53 PM

I have a new 8500UB which I use mostly for standard DVD viewing and sometimes for bluray (I have to snag my son's PS3 for this, and end up staying up too late gaming after the movie!!). Is is best to have the DVD player (Toshiba SD5000) upscale to HDMI, or should I go component and let the 8500UB upscale?
post #2989 of 3635 Old 09-09-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

So as I am looking at an Epson - what is the best preventative way to avoid dust-blobs? I assume Epson only fixes it within the warranty so what is the approximate cost to fix something like this later and do you have to send it to Epson?

Thanks!

When my Home 1080 had a dust blob they had to replace the optical block, which costs as much as a new projector. If not under warranty it's obviously not worth it. If the dust is sealed into the block, this is what they do.
post #2990 of 3635 Old 09-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGotcha View Post

I have a new 8500UB which I use mostly for standard DVD viewing and sometimes for bluray (I have to snag my son's PS3 for this, and end up staying up too late gaming after the movie!!). Is is best to have the DVD player (Toshiba SD5000) upscale to HDMI, or should I go component and let the 8500UB upscale?

You should use the one that has a better scaler. Try both ways and then decide wich one you like the most.
post #2991 of 3635 Old 09-13-2010, 04:23 AM

I took back the 8100 and decided the try the 8500UB.. I am so glad I did. This projector give me a great picture. One the is very close to my rear Projection DLP.
post #2992 of 3635 Old 09-13-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Arroyo View Post

Fans sometimes produce this type of 'noise'. It may disappear permanently after hours of use. As you might expect; mechanical interference and blade unbalance will produce odd sounds. I don't know if the fan speed changes with lamp mode. g

Thanks. I had called Epson, and they immediately sent out a replacement. After I described the problem, the representative just said "That's not supposed to happen" and proceeded to take my CC info to send out a replacement. This is my second replacement as I got a dust blob on the first one after about 4 months. Epson support is good with quickly sending out replacements but when the two year warranty is up, what do we do? I guess it'll be time to get another model.

PSN ID Cyber125
post #2993 of 3635 Old 09-13-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koberlin1 View Post

this just started happening. Is this one of the semi-inherent problems many others have experienced? I have tried a new HDMI cable and it still drops out. It is not consistent but happened around 10 times in a half hour last night while watching 1080i cable programming. The PJ drops out to black for about 2 seconds then reappears.

I doubt it is the projector..rather I think it is balun, cable run issue from AV tuner to PJ, or the satellite image getting blocked by clouds, etc..

Of those, I think my issue is most likely balun that converts signal to run over Cat5. The issue is that it is inconsistent - happens once ever 20 minutes but then not for hours. I think my receiver end balun was picking up some static/feedback that may have been causing it to 'handshake' with the projector again (does this 2 second blackout during startup).
I just dont think I have seen it on a BD - so I again point back to DirecTV issue somehow. Still in discovery mode - but if it does not happen with BD player - then it should not be balun. Let me know what you learn.
post #2994 of 3635 Old 09-13-2010, 09:54 PM

Liked: 45
Hi guys. I'm pretty new to the world of projectors... I just received my Epson 8500Ub the other week after finding a great deal online. Since I received it, I've quickly put 107ish hours on it. Tonight, while watching Weeds (Time Warner, using Scientific Atlanta 8300HD), the picture turned black all of a sudden. About two seconds later, the picture flashed up again, but everything was a weird shade of red. That lasted for about a second, and the picture turned black again. Again, that lasted for about a second, and the picture returned to normal.

Thinking that it was the content, I rewound the DVR recording... Unfortunately, the recording was perfectly fine.

My question is, why did this happen? And do I need to be worried? Since the projector is so new, I'm concerned that this will turn into a problem... Anyone else have experience with this?

By the way, I'm running everything through a brand new Pioneer VSX-1020-K receiver, which has been flawless thus far, even with comparable cable content from my box. I really believe it was the projector which freaked out for a moment, not any of my other components.

Thanks!
post #2995 of 3635 Old 09-14-2010, 10:32 AM

Of those, I think my issue is most likely balun that converts signal to run over Cat5. The issue is that it is inconsistent - happens once ever 20 minutes but then not for hours. I think my receiver end balun was picking up some static/feedback that may have been causing it to 'handshake' with the projector again (does this 2 second blackout during startup).
I just dont think I have seen it on a BD - so I again point back to DirecTV issue somehow. Still in discovery mode - but if it does not happen with BD player - then it should not be balun. Let me know what you learn.[/quote]

I did not see the initial posting but this sounds like my problem. My Directv HR20-700 has NO drop-out problems, nor does my Panasonic VCR/DVD recorder unit. But my new Panasonic BD (...85) regularly has problems. I have read that the panasonic BD units sometimes have handshaking problems with an HD projector. It seems to happen more on BD disks than on standard DVD disks. I have amp and preamp without HDMI in/outputs, so I have to use a (monoprice) hdmi switch box. Sometimes I have to resort to manually disconnecting/reconnecting cables to bypass the switch box and that usually works -- but is not a long term fix. I also read that the sequence in which the equipment is turned on has an effect - I think it was: projector, then amp/preamp, then for me the switch box, and definitely last the BD player. This also seems to work most of the time (I turn the BD player off and back on if I am having problems). I need to check the programing of my Harmony remote and see if the BD player is the last to come on. I do have a 30 foot run so that may be a factor (22 gauge monoprice cables).

Because I have zero problems with the Directv DVR, I assume that for me the problem is not in the projector itself but in difficulty that my BD player has synchronizing/handshaking with it.

Malcolm
post #2996 of 3635 Old 09-14-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
(censored) Not allowed to talk about Epson lamps due to some irate forum members.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #2997 of 3635 Old 09-14-2010, 08:27 PM

As someone who is trying to decide between the 8500 and panny 4000, should I let all of these issues with the 8500 sway my decision? It seems Epson has a huge QC issue with these PJ's? I understand that the majority of people who dont have problems arent going to post up on the thread, but people are going through 3-7 units until they get a good one??? This doesnt seem like its a few problem units here and there.

Tell me your reasoning for deciding on the 8500 or sticking with 8500 even after the QC issues?

Not trying to bash just trying to make an informed choice based off of reviews.
post #2998 of 3635 Old 09-14-2010, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
(censored) Not allowed to talk about Epson lamps due to some irate forum members.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #2999 of 3635 Old 09-15-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I would be most worried about the lamps, because that could be a direct cost if these lamps are all really defective.

Right, I could handle the exchanges until you find a good unit, but that doesnt seem to guarantee anything. It looks like even if you find a good one with initial testing you still aren't out of the woods because the bulbs are failing at 400 to 1200 hours. Doesnt seem acceptable on a 4000 hour bulb.

All quality equal, I would prefer the 8500 for the extra lumens and the extra "pop", but it seems like the panny 4000 is a safer choice.
post #3000 of 3635 Old 09-15-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluckem View Post

Tell me your reasoning for deciding on the 8500 or sticking with 8500 even after the QC issues?

Not trying to bash just trying to make an informed choice based off of reviews.

As potential Epson owner (waiting for CEDIA like everyone else), take all of the negative comments with a grain of salt. Epson sells alot of units; the people that have issues with them are way more likely to post negative comments about it than the people who have a positive experience.

My reasoning is this..... the 8500UB is an outstanding projector in my price range.... Bright, excellent black level etc.... If I am unfortunate enough to have issues in the next 2 years, Epson ships one out the door before you ship yours back - minimizing/eliminating down time (although it is a PITA to swap them out). I've read very positive things about their customer service from the people who have had issues.

Just my 2 cents.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8500 Ub Lcd Projector V11h337020
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page