Epson 8500UB 200,000:1 CR - Page 105 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3121 of 3635 Old 10-06-2010, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I don't mind bleeding on the frame, thats nothing. But the bleeding goes beyond the frame by almost an inch on the sides and maybe a quarter of an inch on top and bottom. It is most noticeable when I am in a completely dark scene and the room is dark and you can see the light outside of the border.

Once again, it's not any of the actual picture bleeding out, it's just like a light border around it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 3635 Old 10-06-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekshow View Post

I went with the 8500 because it was feature packed for $1600. Mine just arrived today and I put it in roughly the same size room. 17x22x8... I just wanted to test it out today so I ended up shelf mounting it and dragging the HDMI along the wall. The image was thrown from the back wall to the opposite side on my ultra high resolution 500 thread count queen size bed sheet.

A Carada 110" Criterion frame should be here tomorrow, but I just could not wait to see what this thing could do. My wife and I just sat speechless watching this thing in theater black produce images in Avater I had never even seen before. Next we flipped through some other material like Dark Knight, 300, and Star Trek on Blu Ray and it's amazing the kind of image we're getting from a cotton bed sheet. Lastly I plugged in Heavy Rain for the PS3 and it looked incredible. In fact it's so life like, you can control the turn of the characters body independently from the head, that when I brought the character towards the screen my cat thought it was a real person and ran away. The blacks are incredible, far beyond what my Toshiba LCD flat screen could match. They're pretty "inky" and solicited more than one "oooh" from my wife.

It was plenty bright enough in my light controlled room even at the length of the throw I was at, about 20 feet. I know lumens drop over time but when I ceiling mount it at around 11/12 feet I can't imagine it being an issue.

At $1600 dollars I feel like I got a great steal. I can't believe projectors like these are now at a mass market price. Projector People and Carada were incredible to deal with and I'll definitely hit up PP when I want to upgrade. This is a sweet machine with cinema quality images, you won't be disappointed.

arg! you have me excited for mine. unfortunately it is shipping from florida to seattle and is taking fooooorever (8 days!!!WTF). i should of asked for 3 day... did you upgrade from another projector? i am replacing my AX100U and i am concerned that i wont notice a significant increase in picture quality. i guess time will tell.
post #3123 of 3635 Old 10-06-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:

I went with the 8500 because it was feature packed for $1600.

hey Tekshow, how are you getting the 8500 for $1600? could you PM me if you don't mind? thanks a lot.
post #3124 of 3635 Old 10-06-2010, 11:42 AM

I'd be interested at that price too can you me also please
post #3125 of 3635 Old 10-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish1479 View Post

arg! you have me excited for mine. unfortunately it is shipping from florida to seattle and is taking fooooorever (8 days!!!WTF). i should of asked for 3 day... did you upgrade from another projector? i am replacing my AX100U and i am concerned that i wont notice a significant increase in picture quality. i guess time will tell.

I just came off of the AX100u and I can tell you without a doubt, this new PJ will BLOW YOUR MIND...there is no comparison...It's brighter, better and is a slick machine...NIGHT AND DAY vs the panny 100u...you have never seen blacks on the Panny...you are viewing dark greys...
post #3126 of 3635 Old 10-06-2010, 01:47 PM

Any thoughts on this guys?

when will the current stock of 8500's run out?
post #3127 of 3635 Old 10-06-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay129 View Post

Any thoughts on this guys?

when will the current stock of 8500's run out?

I'd like to get one in February, but they might be gone by then. Hopefully I can get an Epson refurbished unit for less at that time.
post #3128 of 3635 Old 10-06-2010, 02:02 PM

dysfunction26, sounds like you have the same idea as me. I didnt realise Epson do refurbished projector sales. Where do they normally sell these?
post #3129 of 3635 Old 10-06-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay129 View Post

dysfunction26, sounds like you have the same idea as me. I didnt realise Epson do refurbished projector sales. Where do they normally sell these?

You just have to check Epson.com on a regular basis, they had the 6500UB for $1,299, I think that was the price. It comes with the full 2 year Epson overnight warranty.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/B...okie=yes&oid=0

I am not sure if AVS sells refurbished units, if so...please remove the link!
post #3130 of 3635 Old 10-06-2010, 03:13 PM

Liked: 45
Perhaps this is an isolated incident, but I would have to recommend against Epson refurbished products. A few pages earlier, I wrote of my experience, but I'll give you the quick and dirty.

I purchased a brand new Epson 8500UB, returned it due to problems, and they sent me a refurbished unit. First, the top of the projector was filled with hairline scratches... I mean, all over. It looked like someone had sandblasted the thing.

Since the projector was going to be shelf mounted, the aesthetic scratches didn't concern me. What did was the thousands of scratches on the lens. It looked like someone had rubbed it with a rough piece of denim. Considering that Epson let this slip through QA concerns me.

With something like a projector, I'd personally stay away from refurbished... It's such a complicated, delicate piece of equipment, there are a number of things that can result from improper care. But again, that's just me. I'm sure not everyone has had comparable experiences.

Now, the flip side of the coin is Epson support. When I received the projector in poor condition, they jumped at the chance to resolve the problem. And, if the refurbished unit comes with a 2-year warranty, it may be worth it. But again, just my $.02 based on a recent experience.
post #3131 of 3635 Old 10-06-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeter2 View Post

I just came off of the AX100u and I can tell you without a doubt, this new PJ will BLOW YOUR MIND...there is no comparison...It's brighter, better and is a slick machine...NIGHT AND DAY vs the panny 100u...you have never seen blacks on the Panny...you are viewing dark greys...

nice
post #3132 of 3635 Old 10-06-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMundt View Post

I purchased a brand new Epson 8500UB, returned it due to problems, and they sent me a refurbished unit.

what was your initial problem with the new unit?
post #3133 of 3635 Old 10-06-2010, 03:25 PM

[quote=fish1479;19298791][quote=BrianMundt] I purchased a brand new Epson 8500UB, returned it due to problems, and they sent me a refurbished unit.
Quote:

what was your initial problem with the new unit?

I had a huge dust blob that somehow got into it after cleaning the air filter. Even though I followed all the instructions in the manual, and took many precautions. My advice is to never remove the dust filter from the back of the unit, and simply run a small vacuum over the filter while it's still in the projector.

And, for whatever reason, I was having a number of picture dropouts... the projector would go blank suddenly, reappear a moment later with an all-red image, go blank, and return to normal. In about 120 hours, it happened roughly 4 times, which got pretty distracting. I'd have to rewind whatever I was watching... On two occasions, it actually caused me to die in Halo. Annoying, especially for a gamer.
post #3134 of 3635 Old 10-06-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:

And, for whatever reason, I was having a number of picture dropouts... the projector would go blank suddenly, reappear a moment later with an all-red image, go blank, and return to normal. In about 120 hours, it happened roughly 4 times, which got pretty distracting. I'd have to rewind whatever I was watching... On two occasions, it actually caused me to die in Halo. Annoying, especially for a gamer.

hmmm, poor HDMI signal strength? did the dropping go away with the replacement unit?
post #3135 of 3635 Old 10-06-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish1479 View Post

hmmm, poor HDMI signal strength? did the dropping go away with the replacement unit?

That was my first instinct, but it wasn't poor HDMI signal strength. The HDMI cable is only 30 feet and is the same cable I've been using for the last year with my 151FD. Never had a problem with my plasma.

To make sure it wasn't an issue with HDMI run length, I picked up a cheap HDMI signal booster on Monoprice, but it didn't do anything. Still got the weird dropouts.

So far, with the new projector, I've had no problems. Fingers crossed!
post #3136 of 3635 Old 10-06-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:

That was my first instinct, but it wasn't poor HDMI signal strength. The HDMI cable is only 30 feet and is the same cable I've been using for the last year with my 151FD. Never had a problem with my plasma.

To make sure it wasn't an issue with HDMI run length, I picked up a cheap HDMI signal booster on Monoprice, but it didn't do anything. Still got the weird dropouts.

So far, with the new projector, I've had no problems. Fingers crossed!

If the one you have now works, not much to complain about. I had to send my first 6500Ub back too, but it took a total of 5 days to send it in, and they overnighted me the new one as soon as they received the one I sent them. I could have had it the next day, but I did not want a hold on my card. They paid shipping both ways. It was a minor inconvenience, but the second one I got worked perfectly. I'd much rather have customer service I can count on, and have to send it back once or twice, than have to argue with a company to fix an issue I have.
post #3137 of 3635 Old 10-07-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 View Post

If the one you have now works, not much to complain about. I had to send my first 6500Ub back too, but it took a total of 5 days to send it in, and they overnighted me the new one as soon as they received the one I sent them. I could have had it the next day, but I did not want a hold on my card. They paid shipping both ways. It was a minor inconvenience, but the second one I got worked perfectly. I'd much rather have customer service I can count on, and have to send it back once or twice, than have to argue with a company to fix an issue I have.

That's the thing, I don't want to knit pick with my PJ. It turns out I have firmware 1.00!! On the 8500ub I just picked up. It was brand new and I've watched it less than 9 hours since picking it up on Tuesday. I already ran it through some paces in the calibration and with FI turned all the way up I haven't been able to spot any Red ghosting/edge gain. It's only hitting a bed sheet right now from about 20 feet away. Today's the day I mount the Carada so maybe I'll see a difference.

I'm hoping it just keeps running like a champ and I can just sit back and enjoy it. Although from what I've read on the web Epson would just instantly replace it pretty much based on the firmware gripe alone.

Maybe I'll wait a while in hopes they want to send me an 8700
post #3138 of 3635 Old 10-07-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:

That's the thing, I don't want to knit pick with my PJ. It turns out I have firmware 1.00!! On the 8500ub I just picked up. It was brand new and I've watched it less than 9 hours since picking it up on Tuesday. I already ran it through some paces in the calibration and with FI turned all the way up I haven't been able to spot any Red ghosting/edge gain. It's only hitting a bed sheet right now from about 20 feet away. Today's the day I mount the Carada so maybe I'll see a difference.

I'm hoping it just keeps running like a champ and I can just sit back and enjoy it. Although from what I've read on the web Epson would just instantly replace it pretty much based on the firmware gripe alone.

I am not sure where you live, but I took mine in for the firmware update and had it back the same day. There was a warranty repair shop about 7 miles from me. If there is one close to you, and firmware is the only issue you have, I would just take it in.
post #3139 of 3635 Old 10-07-2010, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I have 1.0 and almost 350 hours. No problems. Damn picture gets better and better!!
I don't think picture wise many people could tell the difference between the 8500 and 8700. From the specs they look the same. Will be interesting to see reviews..... side by side.
post #3140 of 3635 Old 10-07-2010, 05:36 PM

Hi,
Please PM me where you get the 8500 for $1600.
Thank you so much

andy
post #3141 of 3635 Old 10-07-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyDTC100 View Post

Hi,
Please PM me where you get the 8500 for $1600.
Thank you so much

andy

Same, might grab one myself depending on the return policy.
Want to see if I can get a good one this time.

PM me where it is 1600.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3142 of 3635 Old 10-07-2010, 08:23 PM

Same here regarding the $1,600...please PM. Thanks!
post #3143 of 3635 Old 10-07-2010, 09:15 PM

Sorry guys the $1600 units sold out. Projector people had many demo units they were selling. Each unit had 1 hour on them. I bought the first unit and they had 6 left I believe. I looked at there web page and they are no longer selling them. It looks like they are sold out, but it doesn't hurt to contact them. Maybe they have a return with over 4 hours on it that they could sell. Doesn't hurt to call. The units were perfect and came with the same 2 year warranty.
post #3144 of 3635 Old 10-08-2010, 01:59 AM

Hi,

Need confirmation with you guys on the info of throw distances and screen size..

Will the 8500 accomodate :

96 X 54 inch screen from a distance of approximately 22 ft?

From my reading, I think it should, right?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
David
post #3145 of 3635 Old 10-08-2010, 06:42 AM

Ive had my 8500 for a while now, love it.... but Ive finally decided to get away from my 120" elite screens manual pull down and Im considering two different screens, one is a 120" elite fixed frame screen, and the other a 119" da-lite cinema contour fixed screen:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

http://www.provantage.com/elite-scre...1~7ELSC02K.htm

Both screens have low gains (1.1 and 1.0 I believe) so is the da-lite screen really worth the price difference? Ive found good deals on both screens else where just used the links as reference.
post #3146 of 3635 Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat82284 View Post

Sorry guys the $1600 units sold out. Projector people had many demo units they were selling. Each unit had 1 hour on them. I bought the first unit and they had 6 left I believe. I looked at there web page and they are no longer selling them. It looks like they are sold out, but it doesn't hurt to contact them. Maybe they have a return with over 4 hours on it that they could sell. Doesn't hurt to call. The units were perfect and came with the same 2 year warranty.

I saw the same deal and jumped on one myself last week - arrived yesterday... Will post soon about impressions/review.

creative>energy

post #3147 of 3635 Old 10-08-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allredp View Post

I saw the same deal and jumped on one myself last week - arrived yesterday... Will post soon about impressions/review.

yep. that's where I got mine from thanks from Mat tipping me off right away. Maybe if you call and use language like "geeze, o'really, or c'mon" they'll drop a few bucks off the overstock 8500s.

It was a screaming deal and my machine is working great. It had a single hour on it when it arrived.
post #3148 of 3635 Old 10-08-2010, 01:10 PM

I've recently purchased an 8500 closeout and am starting to strategize on calibration. I have seen the calibrations settings recommended in projectorreviews.com and by "Another Dad". Because the projector is not yet mounted, I only have some initial impressions based on the THX mode. Maybe my impression is skewed by recently viewing a highly saturated LCD TV, but I thought Avatar looked a bit desaturated.

I have seen some conflicting reports on calibration capabilities. On one hand, I have read that starting with any mode can bring the picture into a good calibration. On the other, I have seen reports that the Epson 8500 has is a desaturated color gamut that cannot be corrected in THX, and that "Theater Black 1" may be a better starting point. Which is true, or are both? I plan to eventually have a professional calibration done but want to run the unit for awhile with the the best that I can do with only test DVDs. Thanks
post #3149 of 3635 Old 10-08-2010, 01:18 PM

Well, glad you guys got the working demo's from PP. Mine had a focus ring that would not turn. Of course they are taking it back and giving me a full refund because they are a great company. My question was how that passed quality control. That could not be answered of course. I am just irritated by that.

Anyway, I may just decide to keep my Z5 now for a while longer and replace the bulb.
post #3150 of 3635 Old 10-08-2010, 02:10 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsgt View Post

Hi,

Need confirmation with you guys on the info of throw distances and screen size..

Will the 8500 accomodate :

96 X 54 inch screen from a distance of approximately 22 ft?

From my reading, I think it should, right?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
David

Sure. 19.7 feet will project a 200 inch diagonal 16/9 picture. 9.5 feet will get you 96 inches. g
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8500 Ub Lcd Projector V11h337020
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page