Epson 8500UB 200,000:1 CR - Page 122 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 19Likes

post #3631 of 3659 Old 03-21-2014, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The 8350 new on Amazon is 1249 I have yet to see it 900 new or even close to that used. Like I said the 8500ub with 150" screen for 750 was a deal too good so I took it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 3659 Old 03-21-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I bought my replacement OEM blub from projectorzone.com for $250, $50 less than from Mitsubishi. It's in the exact same package that the original blub comes in.

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

Equipment consists of: Epson 9500 UB Projector(Avical ISFd);110" 16x9 JKP Affinity Screen;Panny BD30 Player,Tosh HDA1 Player;Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rears);Earthquake P12 sub;Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver;Nevo Q50 Remote;TWC-HD Cable Box;5 Bello chairs;Coaire Mini-split A/C.
post #3633 of 3659 Old 03-21-2014, 12:22 PM

Thank you inspector I will keep that in mind when I go to get a replacement bulb.
How many hours did you get off those bulbs from Projectorzone? Are these teh same bulbs with premature lamp failure.
Or the fixed ones Epson claims to have replaced that is on their official website? Anyone buy bulbs directly from Epson
and gotten a good amount of hours from them?
post #3634 of 3659 Old 03-21-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I only have 250 hours on this bulb from Projectorzone, but it did come in a sealed box and it was from Mitsubishi. I guess there is a hellava markup if Projectorzone sells it for $50 less than Mit and they still make a profit.

Equipment consists of: Epson 9500 UB Projector(Avical ISFd);110" 16x9 JKP Affinity Screen;Panny BD30 Player,Tosh HDA1 Player;Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rears);Earthquake P12 sub;Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver;Nevo Q50 Remote;TWC-HD Cable Box;5 Bello chairs;Coaire Mini-split A/C.
post #3635 of 3659 Old 04-08-2014, 11:02 AM

I have my stuff finally setup (150" screen and 8500ub throwing from about 18ft). I have notice quite a bit of light pollution coming off the screen and reflecting onto the ceiling and side walls.
What are you guys doing to cut this out? My walls are beige and I can't paint bc its my main living area and it would look odd. I have thought about using a black table cloth to hang on the side of the walls and ceiling.
I'm not looking to spend a big chunk of change to get the finest materials, just something that will do the job. The tablecloth would hang on small hooks so I can take them up and down when I need to.

Any suggestions? I have found black tablecloths on Amazon 70" x 156" for 13.99... Is there anything else out there with similar costs and benefits?
post #3636 of 3659 Old 03-06-2015, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Any techs out there with some advice?

I cracked into my Epson 8500UB all the way down to the light engine. I fixed the tinted bar at the top by pushing the one lens past the iris down until it clicked back into place, but I have two other problems I'm trying to solve.

1) I have a pink tint to the right and a greenish tint to the left. It stands out on an all-white window and affects skin tones on regular viewing material. I went in and cleaned the entire light path (using canned air, white coin inspection gloves and a microfiber cloth) but that doesn't seem to have done the trick. Any ideas which optic could be causing this? I'm not afraid to crack it back open if I can figure out the problem. If it's one of the polarizers fading, is that something you can even buy or can it just be cleaned in some way?

2) I don't see it on viewing material, but when I put up a red or green window pattern, you can see visible faded black spots. Could that be dust on the red and green LCD panel itself? I cleaned every mirror and lens in the light path, but all I did for the LCD panels was blow them off with canned air because I didn't want to remove the lenses directly in front of them.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Pic of the discoloration attached, but I couldn't get a clear pic of the faded looking spots on red and green window patterns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150306_10_40_14_Pro.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	587001  

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #3637 of 3659 Old 04-15-2015, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post
I cracked into my Epson 8500UB all the way down to the light engine. I fixed the tinted bar at the top by pushing the one lens past the iris down until it clicked back into place, but I have two other problems I'm trying to solve.

1) I have a pink tint to the right and a greenish tint to the left. It stands out on an all-white window and affects skin tones on regular viewing material. I went in and cleaned the entire light path (using canned air, white coin inspection gloves and a microfiber cloth) but that doesn't seem to have done the trick. Any ideas which optic could be causing this? I'm not afraid to crack it back open if I can figure out the problem. If it's one of the polarizers fading, is that something you can even buy or can it just be cleaned in some way?

2) I don't see it on viewing material, but when I put up a red or green window pattern, you can see visible faded black spots. Could that be dust on the red and green LCD panel itself? I cleaned every mirror and lens in the light path, but all I did for the LCD panels was blow them off with canned air because I didn't want to remove the lenses directly in front of them.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Pic of the discoloration attached, but I couldn't get a clear pic of the faded looking spots on red and green window patterns.

i have exactly the same prob with my tw4400...i have cleaned the lens and polariser but it still there, it affects the skin tones on the green part and pink part of the screen..

is it a burned polariser, or burned lcdpanel, or convergence issue...

can i find polariser or lcd panel if the prob is them, cause the full optical prism will be cost about a price of a new pj...

thanks
post #3638 of 3659 Old 07-23-2015, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 349
The color tint (usually green in some areas, magenta in other areas) is likely an alignment and/or polarization artifact that cannot be fixed. Because the color tint is not uniform over the image area, any attempt to fix it is just going to result in moving the tints around but never getting rid of them. If the tint is caused by tolerance variations in the polarization required for each of the 3 imagers, the variable tint means the polarizer alignment is not uniform across the entire field so you can't fix that without new imagers and those new imagers would have to have perfectly matched polarization (difficult at best).

If the projector has a fine imager alignment feature with grid lines on a black background (Epson 50xx and 60xx projectors do but not sure about other models), that MIGHT fix some cases, but I've also see cases where there is visible misalignment of 1 or 2 imagers (color fringing visible in images) and fixing that misalignment using the alignment grid fixes the color fringing, but introduces new green and/or magenta discolorations in white fields... to get rid of the discoloration, you have to remove all the corrections you did and live with the visible misalignment of the imagers. So there are no guaranteed fixes when you get magenta/green tinted areas in white fields.

If your projector has an air filter that hasn't been cleaned in a long time, or ever, cleaning the air filter may cool the optical engine enough to reduce or eliminate non-uniformities. Some Epson projectors do have air filters (again 50xx and 60xx series), but not sure if they all have filters.

You only get this field non-uniformity in projectors with 3-imagers, and then, usually only at prices under $4500 or so (MSRP).

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX -- ISF -- HAA
post #3639 of 3659 Old 12-14-2015, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just picked up an 8500 UB refurbished unit from Epson about two weeks ago.

The unit that I received had 4011 total hours on it when I first got it, no dust blobs, and convergence within spec. Red and Blue panels seem spot on with green about 0.4 pixel widths off to the left. Not noticeable unless you are looking at a white line on a black screen from 2 feet away or less.

Set it up in my dedicated theater and after calibrating it, I am very happy with the overall picture.

After reading through this (long) thread I take it that the things that I should potentially watch out for with this projector are:

~ Dust blobs appearing over time.
~ Premature bulb burn out at anywhere from 400-1500 hours. (I run the projector in a calibrated THX mode with the bulb on Eco)
~ Pink/green lines appearing on the bottom or top of the screen (likely due to a loose polarizer)

Is there anything else that I should be wary of or look out for with this 8500?
post #3640 of 3659 Old 02-23-2016, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Purple Stripe

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. My 10 year old Epson 8500 ub is projecting a narrow purple stripe along the bottom of the screen. It's not a lamp issue because it's still there after switching out the current lamp for a new one. Obviously, I'm out of warranty and didn't want to spend a ton of money on repairs. Any ideas what the problem could be and is my repair money better spent on a new projector? Thanks in advance for any help.
post #3641 of 3659 Old 02-23-2016, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acho7 View Post
Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. My 10 year old Epson 8500 ub is projecting a narrow purple stripe along the bottom of the screen. It's not a lamp issue because it's still there after switching out the current lamp for a new one. Obviously, I'm out of warranty and didn't want to spend a ton of money on repairs. Any ideas what the problem could be and is my repair money better spent on a new projector? Thanks in advance for any help.

Well, I have a similar problem, but mine is a 9500 bought in 2010. About 6 months ago, it started having a 1" to 11/2" narrow light, light "PINK" stripe along the bottom of the screen, just like you.

What I was told from my ISFer was leave it alone and save your money. It's starting to break down, and if you can put up with it, then do it. It's only visible on B&W films and only if I remember to look along the bottom.

As long as the PJ shows a beautiful picture, which it does, I can live with it...maybe you can too?

post #3642 of 3659 Old 02-23-2016, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Quote:
Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere. My 10 year old Epson 8500 ub is projecting a narrow purple stripe along the bottom of the screen.
If it's really 10 years old it's lived a long life, toss it to the curb and upgrade to something new.

BTW, How did you get a 10 y/o 8500UB?

My Epson 1080 UB was the very first UB model introduced late 2007.
released for sale in early 2008 ...making it 8 years old today.

That model was followed by the 6500UB in late 2008, then the 8500UB in the Fall of 2009
Last time I looked at the calendar it isn't quite fall 2019 yet ...just sayin'

I've been projector shopping for about a year now
since my 8 y/o Epson has over 11k hours on it, on its 5th lamp
... it still works great but I know it's almost ready for retirement.

Last edited by PioManiac; 02-23-2016 at 06:04 PM.
post #3643 of 3659 Old 02-24-2016, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Sounds like your optical block is going. Regretfully, if this is the case, its not worth fixing.
post #3644 of 3659 Old 02-24-2016, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Sounds like your optical block is going. Regretfully, if this is the case, its not worth fixing.
Yup... early JVC'S do this too. I lost my RS20 to the dreaded magenta stripe. Good excuse to get with the program and buy a new one. I couldn't be happier, though my wife was in shock.
post #3645 of 3659 Old 02-24-2016, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Yup... early JVC'S do this too. I lost my RS20 to the dreaded magenta stripe. Good excuse to get with the program and buy a new one. I couldn't be happier, though my wife was in shock.
Not only early JVC's. I bought a RS55 in Jan.'12, and in Oct'14 (out of warranty) the OB failed. Long story short, I won't be rushing to purchase another JVC too soon.
Went Sony 300ES, and its great, including a 3yr warranty.
post #3646 of 3659 Old 02-24-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
If it's really 10 years old it's lived a long life, toss it to the curb and upgrade to something new.

BTW, How did you get a 10 y/o 8500UB?

My Epson 1080 UB was the very first UB model introduced late 2007.
released for sale in early 2008 ...making it 8 years old today.

That model was followed by the 6500UB in late 2008, then the 8500UB in the Fall of 2009
Last time I looked at the calendar it isn't quite fall 2019 yet ...just sayin'

I've been projector shopping for about a year now
since my 8 y/o Epson has over 11k hours on it, on its 5th lamp
... it still works great but I know it's almost ready for retirement.
You're right. The unit was purchased in 2010, not 10 years ago.
If it's gonna croak soon, any suggestions on a replacement?
post #3647 of 3659 Old 02-24-2016, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Best deal around $2000 is the Sony VPL HW40ES
or if you want to stay with Epson, the 5030 is the closest match to the 8500UB

If you can expand your budget (+$1000) for better black levels...the Sony VPL HW55ES

I'm likely moving right up to a 4K JVC, ($4k+)
and keeping the old 1080UB for gaming only

Last edited by PioManiac; 02-24-2016 at 10:41 AM.
post #3648 of 3659 Old 02-24-2016, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not only early JVC's. I bought a RS55 in Jan.'12, and in Oct'14 (out of warranty) the OB failed. Long story short, I won't be rushing to purchase another JVC too soon.
Went Sony 300ES, and its great, including a 3yr warranty.
Sony's got the fading contrast ratio problem starting from not a whole lot of contrast to begin with. Every pj has it's issues. I'm hoping this gen of JVC is fixed. The RS48 and RS49 had no reports of the magenta stripe... crossing fingers.

Sorry to be OT, but since pj failures were being discussed I thought I'd chime in.
post #3649 of 3659 Old 02-24-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm likely moving right up to a 4K JVC, ($4k+)
and keeping the old 1080UB for gaming only
OK... last OT JVC post... this just annoys me no end, I had to post. The JVC is not a 4k machine and I can't believe they market it as such. Don't get me wrong, I love my RS500, but it has 1/2 the pixels of a true 4k machine. It doesn't make much difference at normal viewing distances (the JVC is really spectacular with 4k signals) but I just don't get how they can claim 4k. It's such a great pj they don't need this bogus rating.

OK... I'm done...

Last edited by erkq; 02-24-2016 at 11:13 AM.
post #3650 of 3659 Old 02-24-2016, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Quote:
The good news is that it's usually pretty easy to fix this. The bad news is that you have to take the projector apart to do it. First, see this thread:
Epson 8100 - replaced bulb and now Pink / Blue bands

Now, typically the discoloration you're describing happens because the PLC has shifted. In that thread, you'll find pretty decent instructions and pictures to guide you through taking the 8500 apart and pushing that PLC back into place. It looks scarier than it really is... Just make yourself a big area to lay the boards and screws out as you go, and do what I did - take pictures at each step so you know how to put everything back. The wires you have to disconnect along the way are all different sizes, so it's pretty hard to screw this up. Once you're in there, it's as simple as pushing one lens down until it pops back into place. And then no more stripe! Cost of repair to you is pretty much free.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #3651 of 3659 Old 02-25-2016, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post
The good news is that it's usually pretty easy to fix this. The bad news is that you have to take the projector apart to do it. First, see this thread:
Epson 8100 - replaced bulb and now Pink / Blue bands

Now, typically the discoloration you're describing happens because the PLC has shifted. In that thread, you'll find pretty decent instructions and pictures to guide you through taking the 8500 apart and pushing that PLC back into place. It looks scarier than it really is... Just make yourself a big area to lay the boards and screws out as you go, and do what I did - take pictures at each step so you know how to put everything back. The wires you have to disconnect along the way are all different sizes, so it's pretty hard to screw this up. Once you're in there, it's as simple as pushing one lens down until it pops back into place. And then no more stripe! Cost of repair to you is pretty much free.
Jeremy, thanks for the info. Trying to work up the nerve to attempt the repair...definitely outside my comfort zone.
post #3652 of 3659 Old 02-25-2016, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
OK... last OT JVC post... this just annoys me no end, I had to post. The JVC is not a 4k machine and I can't believe they market it as such. Don't get me wrong, I love my RS500, but it has 1/2 the pixels of a true 4k machine. It doesn't make much difference at normal viewing distances (the JVC is really spectacular with 4k signals) but I just don't get how they can claim 4k. It's such a great pj they don't need this bogus rating.

OK... I'm done...
oh but it doesn't end there lol
Most of the 4K UHD Blurays are from 2k masters ... and not "true" 4K either

Lists of fake and real 4K UHD Blu-Rays (2K vs 4K)

The biggest jump in video enhancement will likely come from HDR rather than 4k resolution
and with a new JVC...contrast and black level performance is king over all (but you already know that)
especially with an RS500...my next new toy coming soon.
post #3653 of 3659 Old 02-25-2016, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
oh but it doesn't end there lol
Most of the 4K UHD Blurays are from 2k masters ... and not "true" 4K either

Lists of fake and real 4K UHD Blu-Rays (2K vs 4K)

The biggest jump in video enhancement will likely come from HDR rather than 4k resolution
and with a new JVC...contrast and black level performance is king over all (but you already know that)
especially with an RS500...my next new toy coming soon.
And how well will a JVC deal with the HDR advantages in superior colour and brightness. Not what they are know for
post #3654 of 3659 Old 02-25-2016, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And how well will a JVC deal with the HDR advantages in superior colour and brightness. Not what they are know for
Well as long as the PQ is better than my 8 y/o Epson 1080UB,
I'm sure I will be happy enough ...over any other currently available options

I've already demo'd a 4K JVC (E-Shift DLA- X750 aka RS500) in person
with 1080p BD source (Oblivion) up-scaled /e-shift, and it was an moment for me (YMMV)

unless an HDR 4k or 2k UHD/HDR bluray makes things worse than what I have now...
I doubt I will have an issue opening my wallet for an upgrade

Last edited by PioManiac; 02-25-2016 at 09:46 PM.
post #3655 of 3659 Old 02-25-2016, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well as long as the PQ is better than my 8 y/o Epson 1080UB,
I'm sure I will be happy enough ...over any other currently available options

I've already demo'd a 4K JVC (E-Shift DLA- X750 aka RS500) in person
with 1080p BD source (Oblivion) and it was an moment for me (YMMV)
My point was addressing your comment "biggest jump in video enhancement will likely come from HDR ". I doubt the JVC will handle this well. No big jump in that direction. But, I'm sure an improvement over the Epson. For the record, I started with an Epson 8500, then the JVC RS55. Just so you don't think I'm talking from from the sidelines.
post #3656 of 3659 Old 02-25-2016, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My point was addressing your comment "biggest jump in video enhancement will likely come from HDR ". I doubt the JVC will handle this well. No big jump in that direction. But, I'm sure an improvement over the Epson. For the record, I started with an Epson 8500, then the JVC RS55. Just so you don't think I'm talking from from the sidelines.
I meant that the increase in resolution wont likely be resolved for me,
10' seating distance from a 120"screen...the E-shift alone will pretty much eliminate any SDE.
..any benefit above the E-shift (for me) would only be the HDR ...but the native contrast ratio will likely be the biggest upgrade going from the old Epson to a new JVC.

I may be wrong, but really don't care.
But I Do know what my eyes have seen so far and the future looks all good to me,
it can only get better with a true 2k/4k source and 4K player...no?

Last edited by PioManiac; 02-25-2016 at 09:59 PM.
post #3657 of 3659 Old 02-26-2016, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They certainly are now with the 2016 models. My RS500 delivers 1680 lumens calibrated and they do DCI P3 color also. These projectors have people selling their Sony VW1000's, VW500's and $40k Lumises. They are a game-changer.

But this is an Epson thread...
post #3658 of 3659 Old 02-26-2016, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I meant that the increase in resolution wont likely be resolved for me,
10' seating distance from a 120"screen...the E-shift alone will pretty much eliminate any SDE.
..any benefit above the E-shift (for me) would only be the HDR ...but the native contrast ratio will likely be the biggest upgrade going from the old Epson to a new JVC.

I may be wrong, but really don't care.
But I Do know what my eyes have seen so far and the future looks all good to me,
it can only get better with a true 2k/4k source and 4K player...no?
Don't you find 10' from a 120" screen close? I'm 14' and my 120" 16:9 screen appears pretty big. In any event, you are right, the superior resolution of the e-shift JVC will make difference when your that close.
post #3659 of 3659 Old 02-26-2016, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Don't you find 10' from a 120" screen close? I'm 14' and my 120" 16:9 screen appears pretty big. In any event, you are right, the superior resolution of the e-shift JVC will make difference when your that close.
I have 2 rows of seating. I sit 10' from a 120" wide screen only for 2.35 movies. 16:9 is just too big. That I watch from the second row. Company gets their choice, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8500 Ub Lcd Projector V11h337020
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page