post #901 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy View Post

If you pause playback, are the artifacts still waving/moving on the picture?

- Chris

It's hard to describe the problem, but it seems more like color clipping, where you look at a face shot and there is distorted color on a particular shot. It seems to be worse when there is a bright object on a darker background
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 05:56 AM
Tup

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post

It's hard to describe the problem, but it seems more like color clipping, where you look at a face shot and there is distorted color on a particular shot. It seems to be worse when there is a bright object on a darker background

Could this be isolated to your unit? Seems like an obvious flaw that would have shown up in reviews. Do you have everything turned off....Frame interpolation, Super resolution, 4:4 pull down? I know Art mentioned a problem with the 4:4 pull down that he attributed to the preproduction unit.
post #903 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 06:43 AM

sounds like a ground loop to me...... I had one on my 6100 but corrected it

AV since 1980
post #904 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 06:52 AM

Waiting on my 8500ub........so in the mean time I did some sound treatment upgrades and a new Onkyo receiver which has the audussey, which is stunning. Anyway I wanted to post this as an option to those looking for to ceiling mounting for any the PJ. The cabinet came from Ikea and once the PJ is in place I will cover the front. This will workout really well for cleaning, replacement, it. I hate ceiling mounts! This also gives plenty of clearance for airflow etc.
LL

AV since 1980
post #905 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekos View Post

Neekos

Next time you have it one, write down all your setting (if you have changed any from the defaults), then go thru and use the reset option for every section except bulb life. This may make the problem go away.

Yes I have had my unit since last Friday. About 20 hrs so far. I have not posted because this projector has SOO many features and settings you really need to see what works best for your watching habits.

I will say this, it is definitely brighter, sharper, and has better contrast than my 1080UB.

Those of you who are worried about the Iris making noise...WHAT noise? This Iris cannot be heard and yes I have it on. I sit right under it and yes I hear the Iris on my 1080UB but totally silent on my 8500UB.

I have many other comments but for right now just trying to use it and get a better grip on all the features and how they affect the picture quality and total movie experience.

I also have an email out to Jason from AVS and am waiting for a reply before I post more.

Jerry
post #906 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionfire88 View Post

I can't get to it on twitter.com, but found it here instead:

twitpic.com/photos/Therubberband

I got the same set up 683's in the front and 4 Ds3's in the back with the big centre channel.

I love the sound from it.

Cheers,

Joseph
post #907 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 10:59 AM

I'm disappointed with Projector People. They screwed up shipping on my order. I'm not the only one. I was one of the first people to place an order with them early in November. On 11/29 I noticed they were offering a special on free 3-day shipping on the projector. I talked with my sales rep (Ryan) and asked if I could get the free 3-day shipping and a refund on the price of shipping ground. (They already charged my credit card when I first placed the order.) Ryan said no problem.

12/3 comes around and I check status. Ryan informs me that people who ordered after 12/1 got their projectors shipped from PP, but people who ordered before then were getting projectors drop shipped from Epson. Ryan assures me that I will get the projector quickly because they're shipping from California.

On 12/8 I check status again. Ryan's out but another rep informs me the did drop ship from Epson on 12/4 but won't get to me until 12/10. As another person stated, Epson is drop shipping from another state out east. I didn't get the refund for ground shipping either. This rep promises me she'll take care of it.

The net difference (hopefully) is a two day delay. In the grand scheme of things that isn't a big deal but it's still a bummer to get the projector later than people who ordered after me.
post #908 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
8500 arrived yesterday. Spent 5 hours looking at differences from the great Sanyo Z2000 (4000 hours) now sitting sadly on the floor.

Using alternately, a 106 inch curved (using a 4 inch horizonatl curve) white kitchen laminate and a 110 inch daylite glass bead pull down screen for sports. They are about 12 feet from the projector and about the same reflectance factor. People sit at around 10 feet from the screen. Room is completely light controllable to pitch black.

Starting with the bad news: I don't see the FI (frame interpolation) difference in any of the 3 settings on image motion. My wife sees it, can't describe the effect very well and wants it gone. So we opt only for the 4:4 pulldown. Using "Theater Black 1". More study need to see if there is any advantage to frame interpolation. Comments please.

The biggest complaint is a red smeary edge at the leading edge of moving images. Working with settings, but haven't found any cause yet. This nasty effect varies with and is worst in darker scenes.

There is a lot of "block noise". Haven't tried the block noise filter yet.

There is a series of edge repeat lines in moving images like faces. Unfortunately they are usually in red and vary with scene brightness.

The fan is slightly noisier than the very quiet Sanyo and a little more noisy with higher 'color mode' settings like "Living Room" or "Dynamic". I do not hear any problem level with the aperture.

The rest for this preliminary assessment is all positive:

Wonderful blacks. Plenty of bright in all "color mode settings". Good labelable memory system. Corner to corner focus. Lens zoom and shift as advertised.

Impressive color and resolution, with extensive controls for resolution and color. Watched "Public Enemies". Have never seen a Blu-Ray look that good. Every scene was razor sharp in all directions. Movie theaters never looked this good in my neighborhood theaters. Combined with the deep blacks, it looked three dimensional. Tried a couple of standard DVDs; also impressive. They looked like high definition too. Using LG300, Toshiba XDE and Denon 2500.

Fantastic really sharp resolution deserves a second kudo to Epson, as does the advanced system of thin line and vertical 'sharpness' control.

gil (in frozen Seattle)
post #909 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 11:22 AM

For who ordered from avd. Do epson drop ship yet? Thanks
post #910 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robber616 View Post

For who ordered from avd. Do epson drop ship yet? Thanks

Assuming you meant AVS... mine was drop shipped yesterday, expected delivery of tomorrow sometime.
post #911 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobygt68 View Post

Assuming you meant AVS... mine was drop shipped yesterday, expected delivery of tomorrow sometime.

Same here. I can't wait to get my hands on one. I will post impressions compared to my current Panasonic AE2000U.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #912 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobygt68 View Post

When did you order? I ordered on 11/24 but don't ship yet
post #913 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robber616 View Post

When did you order? I ordered on 11/24 but don't ship yet

I preordered with Jason about 10 mins after he sent made the annoucement about taking preorders, which i think was 11/11.
post #914 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 12:35 PM

gil I have the same z2000. One of the reasons I bought the epson 8500 projector was for the frame interpolation. I am concerned with some of your statement they seem to be conflicting. When do you get the smearing?? I can't stand watching a picture that smears or leaves artifacts using the frame creation. How bad is it? Do you think it has any uses at all? Then you state how sharp the picture is and how nice it looks. Are these things only occurring when using certain modes???
post #915 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhunt17 View Post

gil I have the same z2000. One of the reasons I bought the epson 8500 projector was for the frame interpolation. I am concerned with some of your statement they seem to be conflicting. When do you get the smearing?? I can't stand watching a picture that smears or leaves artifacts using the frame creation. How bad is it? Do you think it has any uses at all? Then you state how sharp the picture is and how nice it looks. Are these things only occurring when using certain modes???

Yep, the Blu-Ray DVD image is superb, but at times (not always), there is a smear on the leading edge which trails into the image. Seems worse with less bright image. The FI was set at low. This is a different effect than the the multiple repeating edge lines that appear sometime in moving image following a sharp edge. These may be effects caused by a setting of FI or 'Sharpness', or whatever? Still evaluating versus control settings and other source materials. Also looking to see if the noise filter will remove the 'block noise' seen on the same Blu-Ray.

As I said earlier, I do not see any change in the imagery using FI at any setting, but the wife says it annoys her, looks phoney and wants it gone. She also complains about the 240 Hz FI on the 55 inch Vizio LED flat screen.
post #916 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 01:10 PM

ok, so your saying without fi on the picture is great, but with it on you get some lag and the soap opera effect. How would you compare the blacks and overall color of the epson vs the sanyo that we have in best mode
post #917 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

I would guess Jason will be calibrating my projector today or tomorrow. Based on the negatives in these preliminary reviews, I don't know whether to be excited or concerned...

- Chris
post #918 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 02:10 PM

Just got my 8500ub today, actually I pulled up in my driveway and there was the FedX man. I snatched it from the FedX man and ran inside, really!. The unit was cold so I let it reach room temp while I connected up the HD DVR and PS3 from there temp location. No ceiling mount ever again!!!, so with my ceiling mounted cabinet I had the unit up, connected, aligned, and focused in 3 minutes. Out the box color is superb!, I am sure there will be some people that wont change a thing. I did up the saturation by 1 maybe 2 and this pj just looks good. My number one observation is that I dont hear the Auto Iris!!!!!! I upgraded from a 6100 and the Auto Iris drove me crazy on quiet scenes, especially when I fast forwarded. Inky blacks, Inky blacks, Inky blacks. Sports center looks great with a good amount of CAN lighting. More later... Thanks Jason/Epson for the quick turn!!!!

AV since 1980
post #919 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Any one have a suggestion for a moderately priced Blu-ray player to match with 8500ub?
post #920 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

LOL @ Videodrone. It is funny how even as adults we act like little children when we get something we really really wanted and finally get it. Like Chrispy, I am also concerned with this PJ. I do not know whether to be excited or concerned. I am hearing many mixed reviews about the 8500UB, which some are pretty confusing, causing me to scratch my head.

How about some screen shots. What happened to that. I know your all excited to play with your new pj's but come on. Pictures speak for themselves. Even if you have a complaint about you PJ, take a pic of the problem so we can see what you are talking about, maybe someone can help you fix it.

Rich
post #921 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post

Any one have a suggestion for a moderately priced Blu-ray player to match with 8500ub?

PS3 is AWESOME for Blu-Ray. I love it and you get updates directly from Sony before other blu-ray manufacturers.

Rich
post #922 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverfaithful View Post

PS3 is AWESOME for Blu-Ray. I love it and you get updates directly from Sony before other blu-ray manufacturers.

Thanks, but my kids already have 2 360s, a Wii , an original x-box, a game cube, and a N-64. I'm not bring home another game unit which would result in the need for a bunch of new games.
post #923 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, but my kids already have 2 360s, a Wii , an original x-box, a game cube, and a N-64. I'm not bring home another game unit which would result in the need for a bunch of new games.

Ok well if your the MAN of your household you can control that like I do. I only use mine for movies, I don't own one game on PS3.

If you want a stand alone player I suggest picking up the last issue of Home Theater magazine. They review the best Blu-Ray players out now and one of them happen to be the the PS3.

Rich
post #924 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

My PS3 is waiting downstairs for its new Epson mate. I bought it a week ago specifically for its Blu-ray playback capability. Games are a bonus - my wife and I started downloading some demos (Fat Princess, Little Big Planet) and find that we might actually enjoy the games on this machine.

- Chris
post #925 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy View Post

My PS3 is waiting downstairs for its new Epson mate. I bought it a week ago specifically for its Blu-ray playback capability. Games are a bonus - my wife and I started downloading some demos (Fat Princess, Little Big Planet) and find that we might actually enjoy the games on this machine.

- Chris

See you know whats up. PS3 is great for everything and hey why not play Modern Warfare 2 on the big screen after a good movie. And yes I am 40. Congrats and have fun. I'm jealous.

Rich
post #926 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverfaithful View Post

See you know whats up. PS3 is great for everything and hey why not play Modern Warfare 2 on the big screen after a good movie. And yes I am 40. Congrats and have fun. I'm jealous.

MW2 looks great on my 1080UB... cant wait to see it on my 8500UB
post #927 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I went with Panasonic BD60. Good reviews at Hometheatermag.com, recommended for entry level price with good PQ. I found it cheap online (Amazon) after Turkey day. need to hook it up to the PJ soon. I've heard the fan on PS3 can be loud, not interested in gaming. We have a Wii, barely have time to use that.

Bummer to hear about shipping issues. I ordered on Monday, here today (of course I live one state away from the vendor). If it's any consolation I probably won't even be able to use it for a week... okay, maybe a quick preview tonight if I can get home from work...
post #928 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice54 View Post

I've heard the fan on PS3 can be loud, not interested in gaming. We have a Wii, barely have time to use that.

The fan on the new PS3 slim is quiet. The fan on the old PS3 was fairly loud. The power consumption of the PS3 slim is also about half the older model's.

- Chris
post #929 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Doh! Bummer- might have looked into it more seriously.

Carry on.
post #930 of 3635 Old 12-09-2009, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

Besides the PS3, which i own, Oppo makes the best bluray player. You can also try one of the Samsung or Panasonics. They are "networked" players, and you can use it to watch Netflix also if you like.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8500 Ub Lcd Projector V11h337020
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page