Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobygt68 View Post

I talked to Jason earlier today and yeah the one that was recalled was an extra 8500 that was mistakingly sent in addition to the "drop shipped" 8500. The drop shipped 8500 from Epson was due to have been delivered Thursday of last week and the FedEx tracking says it was... and that it was left on the porch with no SIGNATURE REQUIRED So not really sure what the deal is... I live in a pretty good area so I dont see someone just randomly taking a package off my porch. But I'm staying calm for the time being... Jason said he would get ahold of Epson and see whats going on, Im sure it'll get taken care of... soon I hope as my 1080UB was just sold and now Im display-less

Yeah, my drop-ship from Epson via FedEx was left on the porch, and the FedEx guy didn't even bother to ring the bell! Just randomly found it on the porch later in the day. FedEx is very sloppy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mine came from AVS with signature-required, but that may be because I ordered the calibration and I didn't get a drop-ship from Epson.

- Chris
post #1083 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 10:33 AM

They recalled the first one they sent. So the recalled 8500 just about 2h from my house. The second one still in NY. Wait wait wait
post #1084 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Tup

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy View Post

Mine came from AVS with signature-required, but that may be because I ordered the calibration and I didn't get a drop-ship from Epson.

- Chris

Speaking of calibration. For those who had Jason do a calibration...feel like sharing the settings? Are they similar to those on projectorreviews?
http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...alibration.php
post #1085 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tup View Post

Speaking of calibration. For those who had Jason do a calibration...feel like sharing the settings? Are they similar to those on projectorreviews?

Sheesh, some people! Always trying to bring the thread back on topic!

I was wondering, does it actually help to get the settings from another projector? I thought the calibration was to take care of individual sample difference from projector to projector, and anything that is generic is already set by Epson. But maybe I am wrong.
post #1086 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 11:14 AM

Well I finally pulled the trigger on an 8500. I wasn't able to delay gratification long enough for it to go on sale at the Epson website so I didn't get to take advantage of my buddy's discount but I managed to talk the manager at a store in Fort Wayne Indiana down to $2074 and I still get the factory rebate.
Its about a 4hr drive but the guy is having it overnighted from the warehouse to his store. I will have it tomorrow if all goes well. I will try to get some screenshots posted and I thought about making a video and putting it on youtube as well. We shall see.
post #1087 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatone666 View Post

Well I finally pulled the trigger on an 8500. I wasn't able to delay gratification long enough for it to go on sale at the Epson website so I didn't get to take advantage of my buddy's discount but I managed to talk the manager at a store in Fort Wayne Indiana down to $XXXX and I still get the factory rebate.
Its about a 4hr drive but the guy is having it overnighted from the warehouse to his store. I will have it tomorrow if all goes well. I will try to get some screenshots posted and I thought about making a video and putting it on youtube as well. We shall see.

Hey! No price talk! Forum rules. Gotta respect these guy's wishes here at AVS. They deserve it.
post #1088 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Hey! No price talk! Forum rules. Gotta respect these guy's wishes here at AVS. They deserve it.

=/ Oh, sorry. I would edit but it doesn't let me. Didn't mean to violate any rules.
post #1089 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 219
2nd unit looks typical or a little better than average I'm guessing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

For other owners... is your convergence roughly the same, better or worse?

post #1090 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 12:15 PM

It amazes me how inky the blacks are even in living room mode, which is more brightness than all but maybe direct light on the screen or maybe sunlight

AV since 1980
post #1091 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Tup

Charles: They got that replacement to you fast....great warranty service.

The second unit looks MUCH BETTER!!!

I'm sure you are vastly relieved.

I'm still sitting here waiting for the UPS man!!! I just know he knows I'm sitting here waiting for it!!

I guess I can cut him some slack, given he's probably busier now than any other time of the year.

still.....
post #1092 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:

Charles: They got that replacement to you fast....great warranty service.

Actually I didn't use Epson at all. I ordered a second unit right before I packed up and returned the first one. With my experience/luck I won't purchase from any vendor that doesn't offer a 30-day return period (unlimited hours). Perhaps I might not get the absolute best price but it's an investment I'm more than willing to make. I played the replacement projector game with JVC a long time ago... lesson learned.
post #1093 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I bought from AVS to help support the forum, plus they were lower than street price, and offered QC services. I realize that Epson has overnight replacement but felt better knowing my PJ would be acceptable from the outset. It's on the UPS truck and should be to me by Thursday.

Art
post #1094 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Tup

OK, the UPS guy finally arrived!! Did I detect a little smirk on his face?!?!

Now I'm waiting for it to warm up a little...it's above freezing outside but just barely and I don't want condensation!

Took down my trusty Z4....hopefully this unit will work as flawlessly as the Z4!
post #1095 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by astromusic View Post

Yeah, my drop-ship from Epson via FedEx was left on the porch, and the FedEx guy didn't even bother to ring the bell! Just randomly found it on the porch later in the day. FedEx is very sloppy.

How can they leave something that costs $2,500 on a porch without a signature. that think would be gone by the time I got home in my hood, lol.

Rich
post #1096 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

I bought from AVS to help support the forum, plus they were lower than street price, and offered QC services. I realize that Epson has overnight replacement but felt better knowing my PJ would be acceptable from the outset. It's on the UPS truck and should be to me by Thursday.

Art

What are the benefits from purchasing through AVS than through another place. I deciding to purchase one in the coming weeks and I would like to get the best deal and customer service.

Rich
post #1097 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

[center]

Wow your replacement looks a lot better. Now I understand what the convergence thing is about. Does the Epson 8500UB come with a disc or internal testing device to test convergence like you have ?

Rich
post #1098 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverfaithful View Post

How can they leave something that costs $2,500 on a porch without a signature. that think would be gone by the time I got home in my hood, lol.

EASY....

I made the same mistake a few years ago. I had something that had a signature required for delivery. The Fedex driver left a sticker on my door that allowed me to sign and release the item for delivery the next day.

I signed it (BIG MISTAKE). Not because the item was a cheapie $20 gadget but because I did not read the back of the ticket.

Basically if you sign one of those stickers that they leave on your door (for next day delivery). They reserve the right to put it on FILE for EVERY delivery.

I found this out because a year later the Fedex driver left $28 thousand dollars worth of Protools hardware on my front door step. I was flipping out over it. I immediately asked them to remove my signature from file. they refused unless I came down to the depot (40 minutes away) and presented ID.

heh amazing that all it takes a signature to have them leave value product on your doorstep but you have to jump through hoops to get it removed.
post #1099 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by astromusic View Post

Sheesh, some people! Always trying to bring the thread back on topic!

I was wondering, does it actually help to get the settings from another projector? I thought the calibration was to take care of individual sample difference from projector to projector, and anything that is generic is already set by Epson. But maybe I am wrong.

Quote:

Great question, if you copy the settings is it the same for everyone or is it dependent on your projector each time? i know small things like brightness might change based on room conditions. but can you just take those and implement?
post #1100 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverfaithful View Post

What are the benefits from purchasing through AVS than through another place. I deciding to purchase one in the coming weeks and I would like to get the best deal and customer service.

AVS provides these forums for us to use. Buying from them helps keep these forums available. Plus they are very competitive pricewise, and offer QC and calibration services, for a fair fee, if desired. I opted for the QC check, as I'm sure Jason is pickier than I am.

Art
post #1101 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 03:11 PM

Ive never had any packages disappear off my porch before... but I have had packages just left on the porch... but those weren't $2500 projectors... and those packages werent insured so they wouldn't bother with a signature anyway. But Epson is a big company, they know what they are shipping to us... I'm sure they put some sorta insurance on the packages they shipped so what on Earth is FedEx doing A) Leaving the package on the porch B) NOT getting a signature! I've had bad experience with UPS in the past with damaged packages... I think they get bored and grab the closest soccer ball sized package they can... but I've never had an issue with FedEx... until now
post #1102 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 03:31 PM
Tup

OK, got it up and running....convergence looks good...was nervous after seeing Charles first version!

I had wondered how much blacker blacks could be than my Z4! Wow!

still testing but so far so good!

looking for the lamp hi vs lo setting....not obvious like on the Z4
post #1103 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:

It's the dynamic/living room vs. other modes. There's a filter that's applied between the two. Or are you referring to economy vs. normal mode?
post #1104 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:

AVS provides these forums for us to use. Buying from them helps keep these forums available. Plus they are very competitive pricewise, and offer QC and calibration services, for a fair fee, if desired. I opted for the QC check, as I'm sure Jason is pickier than I am.

Art

I agree. This is my first purchase from AVScience. The prices for equipment and services are competitive plus having someone QC the unit before it shows up is a bonus. I've been on these forums for several years and you can tell the folks who run it and AVScience know what they are doing. My 8500 arrives tomorrow to replace my dead IF 7200 and I'm looking forward to see how it looks with Jason's calibration. I'll post some pics as soon as I can so you can see Jason's work.
post #1105 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 04:27 PM

I for one am interested in your comparison since I am considering moving to the 8500 from an Infocus SP7200.
Of particular interest to me is the difference in fan noise between the two, although if your 7200 is dead then this may be hard for you to compare!
post #1106 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Tup

OK, Still playing with stuff....I messed up my Onkyo reveiver remote trying to program in the Epson settings.

Wife came in and I started showing it off....she was much impressed! Always good to have the WAF.

I'm trying to see how projector reviews settings compare to mine...makes it a little difficult when he refers to 9500UB menus which have different labels.
post #1107 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 06:00 PM

Mine is En route from La Belle Province. Hope it makes it in one piece!
post #1108 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:

OK, got it up and running....convergence looks good...was nervous after seeing Charles first version!

I had wondered how much blacker blacks could be than my Z4! Wow!

still testing but so far so good!

I think what you're looking for is under the Image menu --> Power Consumption (Normal / ECO).

Under ECO, the fan noise is extremely low! Though that does mean you may hear the iris . I need to move my projector back to reduce the iris noise. Not too noticeable, but enough that I want to move it back. It's currently almost right over my head.
post #1109 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Art

What is AVS' return/replacement policy and length? Any bulb hour limitations?

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
post #1110 of 3635 Old 12-15-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhifi View Post

I for one am interested in your comparison since I am considering moving to the 8500 from an Infocus SP7200.
Of particular interest to me is the difference in fan noise between the two, although if your 7200 is dead then this may be hard for you to compare!

I don't think anything could be louder than the 7200. As it got older it seemed to get louder. Honestly, I'm glad it's gone because I was always having problems with it. I'm looking forward to the 8500. A month without it has shown me how much I enjoy having a theater. I just hope I'm satisfied going from a DLP to an LCD - I don't think I will be though.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8500 Ub Lcd Projector V11h337020
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page