post #91 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe Tag View Post

My understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that both these PJ have the same panel as their last years model. I believe Sony changed the optics, while still keeping them sealed; I believe Epson did not change the optics, and they remain unsealed. Both PJ seem to have changed and increased their dynamic iris.

Both have modified the dynamic iris. "Increased"? You mean increased the difference between native and dynamic contrast? That is not clear yet. Sony doesn't seem to have done that. Epson maybe a little, but not 2x.

Quote:

For native, or non-iris numbers, for the Epson we can look at last years numbers

No, we can't.

Quote:

though even a year later they seem unclear.

No, they're not.

Quote:

Really for both PJ what we want is to stop the iris down and actually measure it.

Yes, that is what we want. But the new Epson is planned for November release, so we'll have to wait a while to get final results. Furthermore we *do* also want to measure with dynamic iris active, because let's face it: As far as I can see, the majority of the people using Sony/Epson projectors have the dynamic iris turned on. So both measurements are important: Native and dynamic contrast. After calibration, of course...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
madshi
For real world performance we need to consider how much the dynamic iris can be closed down with video content compared with a black frame forever to measure the off value.
Other requirements are D65 and a correct gamut. I believe that last years super Epson did sacrifice some gamut accuracy for more dynamics.

Mattias Ohlson
post #93 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 09:49 AM

Darin:

So, JVC's CMD will work at 24p with BDs ???

In the JVC thread, Phil Hinton posted this info on JVC's CMD, quote: "This is a new addition that introduces frame interpolation for fast moving sports and games as well as DVD and broadcast TV. However, JVC are keen to stress that for Blu-ray movie playback there will be no need for the CMD as BD runs at 24fbs and the company see no need to change the intention of the movie makers."

Are you saying that, while JVC feels that the CMD shouldn't be used with BDs (because using it would change the movie makers intent), it can be ???

BTW, I'm waiting for a call back from AVS, to get on the HD990 list.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/proje...90-thread-news
post #94 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunter View Post

In the JVC thread, Phil Hinton posted this info on JVC's CMD, quote: "This is a new addition that introduces frame interpolation for fast moving sports and games as well as DVD and broadcast TV. However, JVC are keen to stress that for Blu-ray movie playback there will be no need for the CMD as BD runs at 24fbs and the company see no need to change the intention of the movie makers."

In post #20 of the same thread Phil said:
Quote:
FI can be used with 1080/24. It's up to the user, but I agree with JVCs stance that FI can be overused when 24p is perfectly fine (sample and hold effect acknowledged for some users)

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #95 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 245
so when did this become the JVC thread? All the JVC nutthuggers, please post in official JVC thread.
post #96 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
New info on these new Epson projectors:
http://gizmodo.com/5354619/epsons-ho...1599-price-tag

$1600 for the 8100 O_O
post #97 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you read to the bottom of that article , there is also a 9100 and a 9500 model. Apart from the 2.35:1 stretch mode I didn't see a lot of differences to the 8100 and 8500 models . Have to wait and see them at CEDIA I guess .

Scott....................

"Home Theatre is a Journey , not a Destination "
post #98 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So what does "ISF Certification" really add with the Pro Cinemas? I was under the impression the HC's already had full controls over RGB Gain/Offsets, RGBCMY x,y,Y, and gamma sliders. What is left to add?
post #99 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 187
So what's a "dual-layered auto iris"? Is this different from the auto iris in the 6500?
post #100 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post

Fair warning the 6500 is end of life in about a week (and extremely difficult to find now). If that is what you want, jump soon.

That's for sure. Just got my order in and it will be 2 to 3 weeks wait.

post #101 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

So what's a "dual-layered auto iris"? Is this different from the auto iris in the 6500?

The LCDs all use lamp iris as opposed to the lens iris in the LCOS designs. I wonder if they have added a lens iris which would give them real native CR improvements???
post #102 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 05:31 PM

In an article on TWICE today, they list the 8500UB's (and the 9500UB's) CR as being "only" 150,000:1; not 200,000:1.

No doubt, they got this figure from an official Epson press release.

Estimated street is $3,000 for the 8500UB, and $4,000 for the 9500UB.

http://www.twice.com/article/339749-...Projectors.php
post #103 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A Cine4home preview for the European version of this projector (the TW5500 there) is up. A translation from German to English can be accessed at:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate

Looks like native on/off CR was basically the same as last years model, with most modes within about 10% dynamic on/off CR as last year except for the most dynamic mode (called the Alive mode in the translation) which reached 196k:1. From the translation it looks like it took a second or two to get there.

Some other highlights are the ability to have only one primary color on for calibration and the Cine4home guys seem to be very impressed with the new implementation of frame interpolation. On the downside it sounds like the iris is just as loud as before and with the projector quieter besides the DI that DI sound could be more noticeable.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #104 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks darinp for the link.

Now this makes my decision much easier. Here I come RS25 (I know the RS15 is closer in price, but I figure I might as well go all out), and goodbye Epson. What makes me right off the 8500?

1. Only 10% better contrast in usable modes like Theatre, and natural. The ridicioulous 200 000:1 is for the most Dynamic mode alive which is unusable for movie watching.

2. Again the damn IRIS is just as LOUD. This is a quote from Cine "Noise-sensitive home cinema fans will disturb themselves at this audible screen mechanics" they are talking about the IRIS and yes I am one of the ones that will disturb themselves.

3. I doubt the quality control has improved at all. Im on my second 6500 unit and it's already frakked. There are some users on the 6500 forum that have gone through more the 5 units!

4. People interested in Epson are better off buying the 6500 now with the crazy deals going around!

I know it sounds like Im bashing Epson (kinda am), but the 6500 for the money does put out a really good picture, but be prepared to go through a love hate relationship as you call Epson for your replacement. I still prefer the Epson picture to the BenqW5000, SOny Pearl, and Sony VW60.

Also be warned that if you are sensitive to IRIS noise and your projector is close to your seating position. DO NOT BUY THE EPSON. The noise will drive you crazy!
post #105 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 09:14 PM

Conan

I agree with your decision making process.

This PJ was on my list. To me its not worth the cost. If I really want the Epson I will go for a 6500 or 7500 UB. Time to look at other possibilities.

Its a shame though - as I was excited about the new models and expected more.

Dave
post #106 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Review sounds pretty good. One of the great improvements, it appears, is with the FI which seems to be quite artifact free even in the aggressive modes. Also, the "super resolution" modes appear to work well with the lower two settings which sharpen the images significantly.

I'm still a little confused about the "alive" mode which brings the 200l,000:1 CR. Is that a "theater" mode. I couldn't quite understand. The other modes seem to improve CR by about 10% over last year's model. So, the "new" mode of "alive" is the one that brings the big jump that Epson advertises. I'm just not sure that mode is a "realistic" one to use since they talk about a 1 to 2 second "lag" (processing?) in that mode.

Preliminary results from this review and observations from people who have seen this projector in operation seem to be quite positive for a projector in the $2500-$3500 market.
post #107 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I have an Epson 1080 UB and I'm not bothered AT ALL with iris noise. It's been an EXCELLENT projector. My previous projectors were Sonys. Epson was better in all ways. I'm not that picky though. I have a slight color uniformity isuue (which I had on all of my LCD projectors) that is a little noticeable on very light scenes. I also have a slight convergence issue of about 1.5 pixels which I don't notice at all from my seating distance.

In my opinion, the Epson is probably the best bang for the buck in the $2500-$3000 projector market.

I think to criticize the new Epsons at this early date without a production review is a little premature. I would admit, however, that the new Epsons this year appear more like "tweaks" of last year's model and not a major upgrade. Maybe we'll see a major upgrade in 2010 with the D8 panels.
post #108 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

The 6500 also made some very good impressions and for it's price range is still a solid projector, minus the quality control issues.

The FI on the 6500 was "fixed" with firmware 1.09 and with the low setting, it works great with movies.

The dynamic modes on the Epson are OK for things like video games or sports (especially with ambient light) but for movies they are horrible. Inacurate colours, overexposed picture (even with contrast greatly reduced) and a reduction in sharpness.

The new sharpness gimic is for "adding" detail to SD material. It basically artificially sharpens weak signals and is useless for HD.

By process of elimination, I would 100% grab a 6500! You can wait for more reviews but the 6500 will be gone by then. If anyone is interested I will be returning my 6500 and getting a new one from Epson for a defect. I plan on selling it. NIB new lamp. PM me.
post #109 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 10:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

I'm still a little confused about the "alive" mode which brings the 200l,000:1 CR. Is that a "theater" mode.

I think in the US that would generally be a mode called "Dynamic", or something like that. I don't know what the brightest mode with the 6500UB is called in English. I believe that the TW5000 (the European model that the TW5500 is replacing) also had an "alive" mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

I'm just not sure that mode is a "realistic" one to use since they talk about a 1 to 2 second "lag" (processing?) in that mode.

I'm guessing that they mean a blackout image causes the iris to close down over a period like that to get to the low black level that equated to 196k:1 on/off CR.

--Darin

post #110 of 3635 Old 09-08-2009, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Here's what I got from the Cine4home preview:

1) FI now works basically artifact free in all modes, including the aggressive mode;
2) Super resolution actually works - especially in modes 1 and 2; and
3) With the use of an external filter one can get good colour and 100,000:1 plus full on/off C.R.

The iris is noisy so you wouldn't want to sit right under it. I use the 7500 sitting on a self 3 feet behind me and I never notice it. To me the preliminary first review is pretty impressive for a pj that will be in the $3,000 range or slightly under. The kind of performance the 7500 is capable of was simply unimaginable from a projector costing under $3,000 only a couple of years ago (and you couldn't get FI no matter what you paid). The 8500/9500 looks like a very nice improvement. I currently use the 7500 in vivid mode with two external filters and I'm really impressed with the image. My reference is a gamma corrected Sony G90 CRT with about 1200 hours on the tubes. The Epson beats it in every way except ultimate black level and the Epson still has a very respectable black level from my perspective and I'm used to full fade to black which can be held indefinitely.
post #111 of 3635 Old 09-09-2009, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Here's what I got from the Cine4home preview:

1) FI now works basically artifact free in all modes, including the aggressive mode;
2) Super resolution actually works - especially in modes 1 and 2; and
3) With the use of an external filter one can get good colour and 100,000:1 plus full on/off C.R.

The iris is noisy so you wouldn't want to sit right under it. I use the 7500 sitting on a self 3 feet behind me and I never notice it. To me the preliminary first review is pretty impressive for a pj that will be in the $3,000 range or slightly under. The kind of performance the 7500 is capable of was simply unimaginable from a projector costing under $3,000 only a couple of years ago (and you couldn't get FI no matter what you paid). The 8500/9500 looks like a very nice improvement. I currently use the 7500 in vivid mode with two external filters and I'm really impressed with the image. My reference is a gamma corrected Sony G90 CRT with about 1200 hours on the tubes. The Epson beats it in every way except ultimate black level and the Epson still has a very respectable black level from my perspective and I'm used to full fade to black which can be held indefinitely.

I wonder if the 6500 is hardware limited? Honestly, this is the only gripe I have with the 6500. The Iris noise doesn't bother me since I don't use it. I would really like the 6500 to have the FI fixed for Normal (and should be fixed as they sold us a 'broken' product - I don't buy projectors regularly)

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #112 of 3635 Old 09-09-2009, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post

I wonder if they have added a lens iris which would give them real native CR improvements???

You've been around the block here so I'm sure you misspoke. A "lens iris" does not give "real native CR improvements"... maybe "on/off CR improvements", but they're not "native".
post #113 of 3635 Old 09-09-2009, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post

I wonder if the 6500 is hardware limited? Honestly, this is the only gripe I have with the 6500. The Iris noise doesn't bother me since I don't use it. I would really like the 6500 to have the FI fixed for Normal (and should be fixed as they sold us a 'broken' product - I don't buy projectors regularly)

Unfortunately, the 6500 is hardware limited yes. That is why they had to implement a new processor in the new model to further improve the FI.

Regards,
Ekkehart
post #114 of 3635 Old 09-09-2009, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you have any proof that it is limited? I find it pretty lame if they knowingly put hardware that can't handle 2/3's of what it was supposed to do cosidering we aren't tech limited.

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #115 of 3635 Old 09-09-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

You've been around the block here so I'm sure you misspoke. A "lens iris" does not give "real native CR improvements"... maybe "on/off CR improvements", but they're not "native".

Is the contrast of a RS1 or RS2 "native"?
Is the contrast of any DLP "native"?
Is the contrast of the Sharp 20K or Marantz 11S2 "native"?
Is the contrast of a RS10 or RS20 "native"?
Is the contrast of Sony SXRDs in fixed iris mode "native"?

Hint, all the above have lens iris, some with multiple fixed positions!
post #116 of 3635 Old 09-09-2009, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post

Is the contrast of a RS1 or RS2 "native"?
Is the contrast of any DLP "native"?
Is the contrast of the Sharp 20K or Marantz 11S2 "native"?
Is the contrast of a RS10 or RS20 "native"?
Is the contrast of Sony SXRDs in fixed iris mode "native"?

Hint, all the above have lens iris, some with multiple fixed positions!

I got it. I knew I was missing something! Thanks.
post #117 of 3635 Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
According to Ekkehart they added a new processor for FI. I am sure he is correct and this makes the 6500/7000 limited by hardware.
post #118 of 3635 Old 09-09-2009, 11:18 AM

Am I missing something or does the 8500 and 9500 have the same specs with the 9500 costing $1,000 more than the 8500?
post #119 of 3635 Old 09-09-2009, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki View Post

Sam Runco once gave a speech on how they used to rate the lumens on the old CRT systems. If one company had a projector that was rated at 500 lumens and he thought his projector was twice is bright, he would say that his projector was 1000 lumens. Of course this was many many many years ago when projectors where in the infant stage. I sometimes wonder if the current manufacturers use that same method

Daniel...... I have always felt the advertised manufacter's projector spec's were more of "Liars Poker" than scientific measurements .

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #120 of 3635 Old 09-09-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

Daniel...... I have always felt the advertised manufacter's projector spec's were more of "Liars Poker" than scientific measurements .

JVC seems to buck this trend.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8500 Ub Lcd Projector V11h337020
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page