Panasonic PT-AE4000 Projector Unveiled - AVS Forum
1 2  3  ... Last
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > Panasonic PT-AE4000 Projector Unveiled
ashcurrie's Avatar ashcurrie 06:12 PM 09-02-2009
Exciting news!!!

Here is a link to the article: http://www.trustedreviews.com/home-c...or-Unveiled/p1

Enjoy

shftup's Avatar shftup 06:25 PM 09-02-2009
interesting....cant wait for a pro review.

S
stereomandan's Avatar stereomandan 06:41 PM 09-02-2009
If this red rich lamp helps with the loss of the red color over time, then it would be very nice, and help the bulb maintain it's overall brightness longer. One of my pet peaves with my Epson 1080UB. The red gets dimmer and dimmer with age, faster than green or blue. This means I have to redo greyscale every 200 hours or so, and each time I need to boost red, or once I run out of red adjustment, start to reduce green and blue to match red. Other than that, it looks like almost no change for the AE4000.

Dan
widerscreen's Avatar widerscreen 06:53 PM 09-02-2009
what's so Exciting about it???? looks like the same pj not that its a bad thing the pj it a great pj I have one but was looking for a little more of change. like a little higher brightness. and 3-D ready and a masking system for scope
Bob Whitefield's Avatar Bob Whitefield 08:06 PM 09-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcurrie View Post

Here is a link to the article: http://www.trustedreviews.com/home-c...or-Unveiled/p1

The photos are actually those of the AE3000, same filenames.

The AE4000 might look exactly the same, of course. At least they don't seem to have changed the color to white, that was my biggest fear.

33% better contrast and discrete lens memory codes would make it worth waiting until November for. Seems mature enough a product that I could risk buying an early production model?
drewski11's Avatar drewski11 08:14 PM 09-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by widerscreen View Post

what's so Exciting about it????

like they said, the demo "looked pretty sweet". you need more?!?
Bob Whitefield's Avatar Bob Whitefield 10:20 PM 09-02-2009
http://www.whathifi.com/News/Panason...-home-cinemas/
  • a new optical system
  • 100Hz Intelligent Frame Creation
  • an enhanced Lens Memory 2 system, able to store up to six zoom/focus positions
  • automatic switching between 16:9 and 2.35:1 content using signal aspect detection
  • Advanced Gamma Adjustment
  • intelligent power management system, able to reduce lamp output in scenes where full brightness isn't required

Auto switching between aspect ratios! Now that's a feature my wife will love.
RapalloAV's Avatar RapalloAV 02:22 AM 09-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Whitefield View Post

• a new optical system
  • an enhanced Lens Memory 2 system, able to store up to six zoom/focus positions
  • automatic switching between 16:9 and 2.35:1 content using signal aspect detection
  • intelligent power management system, able to reduce lamp output in scenes where full brightness isn't required

I hope the lens memory goes to black this time without the 'processing sign' showing this time
madshi's Avatar madshi 02:50 AM 09-03-2009
"Exclusive Panasonic PTAE4000 Projector Launch" video now available here:

http://www.avforums.com/tv/
martinfarinha's Avatar martinfarinha 05:13 AM 09-03-2009
On the video it showed masking options on the 2.35:1 set up, could this be to get rid of image overscanning on scope screens? I'm thinking specificaly about "Dark Knight" scenarios.
mike2060's Avatar mike2060 05:14 AM 09-03-2009
Wow, now for TDK, the upcoming Transformers 2, and any films in the future with changing aspect ratios this projector will automatically switch during the film!!
JeffY's Avatar JeffY 05:32 AM 09-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2060 View Post

Wow, now for TDK, the upcoming Transformers 2, and any films in the future with changing aspect ratios this projector will automatically switch during the film!!

It would be terribly distracting.
JeffY's Avatar JeffY 05:33 AM 09-03-2009
I love the extra zoom memories, six sounds about right. Lots of flexibility.
Cine4Home's Avatar Cine4Home 05:35 AM 09-03-2009
Quote:

• a new optical system

The main features of the 4000 are not mentioned: A special new lamp and color filter. We are finishing right now our full detailed preview with first measurements...
Eternal_Sunshine's Avatar Eternal_Sunshine 06:05 AM 09-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cine4Home View Post

The main features of the 4000 are not mentioned: A special new lamp and color filter. We are finishing right now our full detailed preview with first measurements...

Can't wait!
Bob Whitefield's Avatar Bob Whitefield 06:07 AM 09-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cine4Home View Post

Actually it did mention them, I only listed features I hadn't seen reported earlier. Looking forward to your preview!

Would especially like details on
  • lens memory (discrete codes for all six?)
  • automatic aspect switching (is it usable/desirable for movies like The Dark Knight that change aspect?)

mike2060's Avatar mike2060 06:37 AM 09-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffY View Post

It would be terribly distracting.

Or you can have it bleed out onto the top and bottom of the screen if you like that better. It's going to be "distracting" either way.
rwestley's Avatar rwestley 06:43 AM 09-03-2009
Any news on smooth screen. The info states it is available but can it be turned on and off this year.
Kamus's Avatar Kamus 09:40 AM 09-03-2009
Quote:

Actually it did mention them, I only listed features I hadn't seen reported earlier. Looking forward to your preview!

Would especially like details on
  • lens memory (discrete codes for all six?)
  • automatic aspect switching (is it usable/desirable for movies like The Dark Knight that change aspect?)

Some 3d movies are going to use those black bars for pop out effects, so it's not going to be desirable for those... not that this PJ is 3d ready or anything.
pottscb's Avatar pottscb 11:27 AM 09-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by widerscreen View Post

what's so Exciting about it???? looks like the same pj not that its a bad thing the pj it a great pj I have one but was looking for a little more of change. like a little higher brightness. and 3-D ready and a masking system for scope

This link is a repost from another thread about this pj:

http://www.avforums.com/tv/

Looks like they did up the brightness in best mode by balancing the color...and they did implement a feature to block the black bars for scope(added in/out triggers) and other more minor changes...you want whipped cream on that?
wohlstad's Avatar wohlstad 11:44 AM 09-03-2009
Here's the link to CINE4Home AE4000 preview.

Looks nothing special. Conclusions pending more delailed review, but so far looks nothing special. Still a step below Epson 6500/7500.

http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=
ilsiu's Avatar ilsiu 11:49 AM 09-03-2009
Cine4home has posted a nice preview with lots of info:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate

Of most interest to me is the new rev of lens memory. Looks like it essentially works as it did in the AE3000, but with more presets and an auto-detect/switch.

Ekkehart - is the memory switching any faster? If switching manually, do you still need to press a button to exit the lens memory menu after switch is completed?
SimonJB's Avatar SimonJB 11:53 AM 09-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wohlstad View Post

Here's the link to CINE4Home AE4000 preview.

Looks nothing special. Conclusions pending more delailed review, but so far looks nothing special. Still a step below Epson 6500/7500.

http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=

I think Google translated from German to Yoda..!
LilGator's Avatar LilGator 11:54 AM 09-03-2009
Quote:

What does that even mean? The film is encoded with switching aspect ratios. All the Panny can do is zoom memory for those ARs- on a 1.78 screen, what would that accomplish?

Even on a 2.35 screen, this wouldn't work based on the way things switch back and forth, the 1.78 IMAX shots are intended to be larger, not CIH with the scope content.
madshi's Avatar madshi 11:57 AM 09-03-2009
Thanks much to Ekki/cine4home for the preview. I really like many of the AE4000 features. Unfortunately for my needs (batcave) the native contrast is much too low. I mean it's less than half of Epson's *last* year's model - and let's not even compare it to JVC. Come on, Panasonic! You can do better than that!
mike2060's Avatar mike2060 12:30 PM 09-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator View Post

What does that even mean? The film is encoded with switching aspect ratios. All the Panny can do is zoom memory for those ARs- on a 1.78 screen, what would that accomplish?

Even on a 2.35 screen, this wouldn't work based on the way things switch back and forth, the 1.78 IMAX shots are intended to be larger, not CIH with the scope content.

I'm talking about a 2.35 screen obviously. Lol the zoom memory is pretty much for 2.35 screens so why would you ever think I'm talking about 16:9? And tell me how many people can have those Imax shots larger on their 2.35 screens? What is wrong with having the 16:9 image on a 2.35 screen and not be bleeding over the top and bottom? Why are you saying it wouldn't work with a 2.35 screen because the 1.78 is supposed to be larger????? When TDK and TF2 came out in normal theaters the Imax scenes were 2.35:1 so saying that the 16:9 should be larger is not really true.

I have a feeling you are really confused about how the zoom memory function works, I'm actually not sure if you even know what it is??
LilGator's Avatar LilGator 02:09 PM 09-03-2009
Quote:

I'm talking about a 2.35 screen obviously. Lol the zoom memory is pretty much for 2.35 screens so why would you ever think I'm talking about 16:9? And tell me how many people can have those Imax shots larger on their 2.35 screens? What is wrong with having the 16:9 image on a 2.35 screen and not be bleeding over the top and bottom? Why are you saying it wouldn't work with a 2.35 screen because the 1.78 is supposed to be larger????? When TDK and TF2 came out in normal theaters the Imax scenes were 2.35:1 so saying that the 16:9 should be larger is not really true.

I have a feeling you are really confused about how the zoom memory function works, I'm actually not sure if you even know what it is??

I think you've confused yourself thoroughly.

Zoom memory on a 2.35 screen is only useful if you want to switch between 1.78/1.85 and 2.35 content and zoom both to screen height.

Switching from ESPN at screen height (masked sides) over to a 2.35 Blu-ray would be one-touch on the old Panasonic, and automatic on this new one. That would be useful.

Taking a movie like TDK or TF2 that auto-switches, and letting the Panasonic auto-switch AR's as well would be a terrible way to watch the movie. The majority of the movie is 2.35 and fills your screen. IMAX scenes are 1.78 and would then be smaller than the rest of the movie- which is the opposite of what is intended!

If you're wanting to watch those films on a 2.35 screen, just crop it to 2.35- no need to screw around with resizing AR's. (I can't guarantee this will work on the TF2 BD though, as the IMAX scenes filled the screen height- I imagine CG was reworked for standard theaters, or it was a vertical pan'n'scan job to keep things looking right. Keep in mind it was shot 1.44 and will be changed somewhat to fit in a 1.78 frame on the BD. TDK worked OK cropping it because it was shot with a lot of empty space above and below the 2.35 area, almost like it was shot 2.35 "safe".)

This is how IMAX scenes were presented in normal theaters- not height reduced 1.78 presented pillar boxed.
mike2060's Avatar mike2060 02:13 PM 09-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator View Post

I think you've confused yourself thoroughly.

Zoom memory on a 2.35 screen is only useful if you want to switch between 1.78/1.85 and 2.35 content and zoom both to screen height.

Switching from ESPN at screen height (masked sides) over to a 2.35 Blu-ray would be one-touch on the old Panasonic, and automatic on this new one. That would be useful.

Taking a movie like TDK or TF2 that auto-switches, and letting the Panasonic auto-switch AR's as well would be a terrible way to watch the movie. The majority of the movie is 2.35 and fills your screen. IMAX scenes are 1.78 and would then be smaller than the rest of the movie- which is the opposite of what is intended!

If you're wanting to watch those films on a 2.35 screen, just crop it to 2.35- no need to screw around with resizing AR's.

This is how IMAX scenes were presented in normal theaters- not height reduced 1.78 presented pillar boxed.

But you still have image being projected over the top and bottom. Some people will not want that so this is good for them.
LilGator's Avatar LilGator 02:20 PM 09-03-2009
Quote:

But you still have image being projected over the top and bottom. Some people will not want that so this is good for them.

You would need a VP to crop top/bottom. I think even most would rather see some spill than see a scene that's supposed to be HUGE, tiny on their screen.

There's always this as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinfarinha View Post

On the video it showed masking options on the 2.35:1 set up, could this be to get rid of image overscanning on scope screens? I'm thinking specificaly about "Dark Knight" scenarios.

wohlstad's Avatar wohlstad 02:44 PM 09-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Thanks much to Ekki/cine4home for the preview. I really like many of the AE4000 features. Unfortunately for my needs (batcave) the native contrast is much too low. I mean it's less than half of Epson's *last* year's model - and let's not even compare it to JVC. Come on, Panasonic! You can do better than that!

Well, if these disappointing results are true, with this level of "Engineering" Panasonic might as well quit the market alltogether.
1 2  3  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop