Any Adult gamers using their projector for gaming? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 112 Old 12-04-2009, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I'm 50 so I am surely an adult. I have a 108" screen with a 720p dlp pj. I did not intend to use it for gaming. I picked up a 360 and some driving games (forza 3, nfs shift) and a steering wheel. Well, I'm hooked. It is a lot of fun and the pq is amazing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 112 Old 12-04-2009, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I just ordered my 120" Elite EZframe screen today (got a heck of a deal on it at $340 shipped!)

I'll have my new projector soon, Ill be using an Optoma HD20 with my PS3
post #93 of 112 Old 12-04-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDuncan View Post

I have a PS3 and 360 hooked to my Epson HC720 in my bedroom with a 92" screen. That's where I do most of my gaming.

In my theater I have a Wii and a PS3 hooked up to an Epson HC8100 with a 126" screen. Games look fantastic with this projector. Playing Dead Space is a memorable experience. Even the game Endless Ocean on the Wii is totally immersive when you're swimming around with giant whales.

I actually even enjoy playing old NES games on the Wii virtual console on the big screen. The original Punchout is a blast playing it blown up so big.

Not married, I take it.
post #94 of 112 Old 12-04-2009, 10:06 AM

360 and PS3 hooked up to a Panasonic AE900 (replacing with an AE4000 today) I love it but I think it hurts my reaction time on LIVE. I usually get slaughtered. (thats my story anyways)
post #95 of 112 Old 12-30-2009, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Here are some lag tests for PJs with other lag tests with Plasma/LCD HDTVs. Thought I would pass this along in case you guys don't see the other thread "Projectors and LAG times".

The following timings are from a related thread (Input Lag of various projectors) in the Over $3,000 PJ forum. The majority of these readings come from the Rock Band test. Additionally, I have added a few measurements. Here are speed tests from others (Andrewfee, S_RangeBrew, SIK, and Bubbafish) Hopefully not leaving prior testers out. Again, this is RB testing for the most part.

Take them for what they are worth. There could be user error, rock band error, or ERROR involved:

Infocus IN82/83: ~ 16ms

Epson 6100: ~ 16ms

AE3000: ~ 30ms

Sanyo Z3000 (FI OFF): ~ 30ms
Sanyo Z3000 (FI On): ~ 48ms

Infocus 7210: 33ms

AE4000: ~ 33ms

Panasonic S1 (Plasma) - Game mode: ~ 46ms

Samsung (LCD) HDTV - Game mode - HDMI: ~ 58ms
Samsung (LCD) HDTV - VGA 1080p: ~ 38ms

I am very interested in the Epson 8500, Sony HW15, as well as the JVCs.

More info to follow...

Hopefully, a PJ is not to far off in my future. Also, some of these above readings are encouraging... Also, I have two computer monitors (Asus & Hannspree) that I will attempt to get measurements for.

NOTE: My readings involve Xbox 360, 1080p signal, HDMI running directly to TV, and game mode turned on and/or additional picture processing turned off. I still think my Plasma reading is "unbelievably bad"....

NOTE 2: No wonder I have been getting shot by 1887's around corners on MW2 before I even see the people :| Dang you Samsung!!!....and Panny!!!

"Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
May your chains set lightly upon you,
and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." Samuel Adams
post #96 of 112 Old 12-30-2009, 07:52 AM

Received an Epson x71 for xmas, which is basically a business projector. I'm planning on returning it for an Optoma HD66. Will be pushed by PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii, along with some tv.

I almost exclusively do FPS, and I'm wondering how big is too big? My room could accommodate up to 150" screen and seating distance is not an issue. Can you go too big?
post #97 of 112 Old 12-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

I am wondering how effective a larger screen will be for gaming. I am thinking between a 96 to a 120" screen. Seating around 8 and 12.5 away for the two rows. Will I be able to be as competitive on FPS? It appears there are different opinions on the board.

post #98 of 112 Old 01-01-2010, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

I can comment on this topic. I just projected a 124" image of Xbox 360 on a wall and played MW2. Why would anyone even buy a TV anymore. That is quasi-rhetorical, so no need to answer. I have yet to do the RB test to see the lag. However, I have found a new love. PJs! Can I play better. I think it will take some getting used to especially when trying to move the reticle, for FPS, but I think after a little more time with it, gaming will be second nature. More to come!!!

post #99 of 112 Old 01-01-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
MWII on a 110" screen from 8 feet away (just upgraded to the HC3800 1080p PJ). 58" Kuro's..eat your heart out!

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/

post #100 of 112 Old 01-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Turned 43 last night...woo-hoo...xBox360 gaming on pj is very good times indeed.
post #101 of 112 Old 01-01-2010, 10:59 PM

I am married 37 and just fininshed about a 2 hour Rock Band 2 session with my wife and another couple! We have Xbox 360, 100" screen, old InFocus X1 and the lag is somewhat evident, 33ms delay.

I am looking to upgrade my projector, any info on how the new Optima H20 looks? Lag on Rock Band2?

Thanks!
post #102 of 112 Old 01-02-2010, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaleris View Post

I've been gaming on my projector setup since 2007 - and love it. I sit on a couch 10' from a 92" screen. One thing, though, is that on certain FPS games, the way the FOV (field of view) is presented, I will get overwhelming dizziness. It's hard to replicate, but F.E.A.R. was one of those games. Wanted to throw up after 10 minutes of the game. Never had any trouble with Gears of War, COD series, etc., though. - or if I tried F.E.A.R. on a smaller monitor.

Any first person-type game where you are in hallways or a cave or something gives me some trouble on my 50-inch dlp - almost like a motion-sick thing as the walls move past me. I had a slight probelm with those scenes on my old 32-inch CRT, it was worse on my 50-inch, and I suspect it will be even worse on a projector when I take the plunge this summer. When I know I'm playing a game that gives me lots of trouble, I will sometimes pop a dramamine beforehand, and I have no trouble whatsoever.
post #103 of 112 Old 01-02-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcountry View Post

I am married 37 and just fininshed about a 2 hour Rock Band 2 session with my wife and another couple! We have Xbox 360, 100" screen, old InFocus X1 and the lag is somewhat evident, 33ms delay.

I am looking to upgrade my projector, any info on how the new Optima H20 looks? Lag on Rock Band2?

Thanks!

I have the hd20 and its absolutely awesome for gaming. I dont play rockband, but rather fps' and there is no lag between mouse and what I see on screen.

I also have an epson 8100, and that is also good for gaming.
post #104 of 112 Old 01-02-2010, 08:27 AM

I'm gaming with an Epson 8100 on a 92" screen from 15ish feet away. Playing MW2 like everyone else. Given my age, I suppose you can consider me an adult

It's a great experience, a lot like watching a movie, the bigger screen really sucks you into the story. The scenes when you're running through a burning DC were amazing. I'm looking forward to Mass Effect 2 on the big screen.

Playing online is very good also, I don't know if it's the most competitive way to play however. Other players are more visible (larger) but you have to move your eyes or head farther to see all possible hiding spots. With a smaller screen you might be able to take a visual 'snap shot' and cover all the hiding places/alleys at once.

I'd like to go with a larger screen in the next few months, going to move my couch closer in the mean time to test.
post #105 of 112 Old 01-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I'm 35 and I used to get told that I will stop playing video games when I grow up. Well, I'm still here and I love playing video games more than ever. I feel very lucky to be able to have been there when video games first began (still sometimes miss the old smoky arcades, tabletop video games, Ms. Pac Man, Rastan, Rygar, etc.).

I have yet to get bored of playing Gears of War 2 Horde mode (143" scope screen - top and bottom missing a bit of info. but insignificant) with my buddies who live far away:

http://s836.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=IMG_1216.jpg

I do sometimes feel like a bit of a snob, but I just can't play on a smaller screen anymore. I went over to a friend's house to play Rock Band on a 27" tv and I could barely see what I was supposed to be doing. Honestly, there are times when I feel like playing on a large 1080p projector is almost cheating because I can see absolutely everything far off in the distance (sniping is so easy in fps games).

post #106 of 112 Old 01-02-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
39 year old here with a Hitachi PJTX100 720p lcd projector 15 feet away with a 92 inch Dalite High Power Model B screen. I use my Xbox 360 and game on the projector all the time. I don't notice any input lag with my setup. I play all the COD games on Xbox Live with my friends who's ages range from 30 - 43. We are a bunch of old fart gamers. LOL Thur is usually the gaming night for all of us since all the wives watch Grey's Anatomy.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #107 of 112 Old 01-02-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsullivan3 View Post

Received an Epson x71 for xmas, which is basically a business projector. I'm planning on returning it for an Optoma HD66. Will be pushed by PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii, along with some tv.

I almost exclusively do FPS, and I'm wondering how big is too big? My room could accommodate up to 150" screen and seating distance is not an issue. Can you go too big?

The Epson x71 is the same as the Epson 705HD home theater projector. It really is a good projector for the money- long lasting bulbs too. Have you even watched a DLP projector? Make sure you are not someone who is prone to rainbows and headaches cause by the DLP color wheel.

NE Ohio HT Nutt
post #108 of 112 Old 01-02-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Nothing like playing Gears of War (1 or 2) on the big screen - you can definately never go back to a 42" plasma after that!
post #109 of 112 Old 01-02-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKoprowski View Post

The Epson x71 is the same as the Epson 705HD home theater projector. It really is a good projector for the money- long lasting bulbs too. Have you even watched a DLP projector? Make sure you are not someone who is prone to rainbows and headaches cause by the DLP color wheel.

How would the x71 compare to the HD65 or HD66, if rainbows are not an issue?

I have watched some DLP tv's and had no problems. Does a projected (larger) image increase the rainbow effect?
post #110 of 112 Old 08-04-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

In regards to lag some PJ's have a "game mode" that leads to less processing. I would look for that. I would also go to HT stores and bring my ps3. Hook it up and try it out....... $4,000 to spend on a PJ will get you attention. It might not be much in this forum, but it is a good amount to spend in most stores especially in this economy

Are there any projectors besides Panasonic that have a game type mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Been gaming on front projection displays for the last 25 years, started when my dad had one of those 6' curved silver screen crt set-ups (I think it was made by Sony). I recall playing Atari 2600 missile command for the first time on that 6' screen and that was it, instantly hooked for life. There is no better way to game and when LED PJ's are affordable and offer the same or better quality image I'll probably switch to projection gaming exclusively (currently lamps are too costly IMO).

Jason

Does anyone on here game on led?
post #111 of 112 Old 08-04-2010, 02:32 PM

Liked: 14
LED projector? havent seen one but if you are worried about bulbs dont. Completely worth the money!

Once you start talking in FEET insted of INCHES to decribe your TV you can NEVER go back!
post #112 of 112 Old 08-05-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragster View Post

34 yr olds playing games? Bah ;-)

I'm 42 and still play the Original Unreal Tournament. I've owned one of the first sharp LCD projectors... Back when they were like 2500 bucks and came with a 500 dollar rebate!

But to this day never played on a PJ. Maybe it's time! Probably could see the teams better.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page