Any Adult gamers using their projector for gaming? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So as I am waiting for my projector to arrive, I want to integrate a PC gaming experience into the home theater. I am using a HTPC and have Left 4 Dead and some other First Person Shooters. But was wondering what other adults enjoy playing that take advantage of the big screen experience.

I am thinking that I might be able to stand in front of a podium with my keyboard and mouse for FPS and flight stuff, and maybe a steering wheel for some driving games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm 26 and use mine with the 3 current gen game consoles. Hard to go back after that.
post #3 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
been using my pj for gaming for the past three years. I agree with the above post, there is just no going back.

Even playing on my 46" occassionally is almost impossible.

Also, your friends will start coming over a hell of a lot more often.
post #4 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 08:44 AM

I plan on playing games and watching Blu-Ray with my PC, but I don't have a projector yet. I'm still waiting on reviews on the Vivitek H1080FD. I see you're getting one, so maybe you can test it out for us.

Why do you want to be standing while gaming? A tray table works well.
post #5 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have been for years. Oblivion is fantastic on a projector. You feel like you are really down in those darn caves.
post #6 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I'm 56 so I think I qualify as an adult.
Motorstorm is great on a 110 inch screen. Shooter games are also great.
post #7 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 09:21 AM

On the xbox 360, playing a racing simulation on a 96" diagonal (say Forza) is impressive. RPG's look pretty amazing as well. I need a nice air combat game and am tempted to get Il-2 sturmovik. I imagine that would just blow me away!

My current set up gives a bit of lag, so that I do not like to use super fast FPS on the big screen - especially online.
post #8 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
PS3

x360

business pj on 100" wall screen

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
post #9 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajosh View Post

I plan on playing games and watching Blu-Ray with my PC, but I don't have a projector yet. I'm still waiting on reviews on the Vivitek H1080FD. I see you're getting one, so maybe you can test it out for us.

Why do you want to be standing while gaming? A tray table works well.

I just think standing might add to the realism. My fear is my shadow on the screen, it may mean that I have to have the screen higher on the wall than I am supposed to but I will make the call.

As far as the Vivitek, I will be the guinea pig. If I can just get the projector in house. I am almost ready to plug and play with that thing. All curtains are installed even have the mount ready to go. Im checking my accounts every hour to see if the money has been withdrawn as confirmation it shipped.

In the mean time, I am getting everything going as far as gaming, movies, furniture lay out etc in anticipation of the projectors arrival.

The screen shots are awesome! You are correct guys, I am not going to have an easy time going back to a small computer screen to play games. Right now I am playing on my TV and its just not large enough.
post #10 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I play Halo 3 on my setup. I takes a bit getting used to -- aiming is a whole lot different when the target is about the same size as you ;D
post #11 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 11:11 AM

Yes, there is nothing quite like it. I also use the 3 current generation consoles and occasionally my HTPC for gaming on my PJ and it is an experience to say the least. Currently playing Killzone 2, man is that a sight!
post #12 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I didn't know they had any Adult Gamers.

They got Debbie does Dallas stuff like that?

Sri couldn't resist, everybody needs a good chuckle anyway.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #13 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 12:58 PM

Call of Duty 4 on the XBOX360 at least a few times a week. 100" Carada Criterion with a Panny AX200U shooting at it. It's a wonderful, wonderful thing. (32 years of age tomorrow)
post #14 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 01:11 PM

Sports Games are amazing on a projector, i like playing hockey on it
post #15 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 01:14 PM

Most console games don't run at native 1080p. We need some PC screenshots for that. Even games like Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 run at resolutions below 720p on Xbox.
post #16 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Height wise you should be able to install a solution to lower and raise a fixed mount screen.... I really don't think it should be that hard.

You just put tracks on the sides that could be coverable with some black cloth etc then you can slide the screen up and down. As long as you are able to lock it in place then you can ensure that it stays level and since you aren't actually rolling up the screen it won't get messed up.........

Just a thought. Personally I just finished hanging my screen and projector last night. Working on hooking up the receiver today and then I will test the PS3 on it. I expect lag so will probably never be my primary gaming option........

Flight simulator is so slow anyways that it wouldn't matter. FPS sucks with lag...... just my thoughts
post #17 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Speaking of lag...I'm finishing my theater as well and haven't picked up the pj yet (plan on keeping the budget at $4,000 Direct Buy prices). Based on all of your personal experiences, what type of pj (LCD, DLP, SXRD/D-ILA) works best in regards to lag?

Thanks.

post #18 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajosh View Post

Most console games don't run at native 1080p. We need some PC screenshots for that. Even games like Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4 run at resolutions below 720p on Xbox.

I am pretty sure it's not native 1080P on the PS3 games, but I'm also pretty sure that Assassin's Creed, COD4 etc are not running under 720...
post #19 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdholmes View Post

I am pretty sure it's not native 1080P on the PS3 games, but I'm also pretty sure that Assassin's Creed, COD4 etc are not running under 720...

Halo 3: 1138x640.
http://xbox360.joystiq.com/2007/09/2...ounters-claim/

CoD4: 1024x600.
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/22/ca...ixel-counters/
post #20 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 02:56 PM

What does being an adult have to do with being able to use a projector to game? Everyone knows that the bigger screen the better and those of us who are lucky enough to have a projector to game are beyond thrilled no matter their age. One game that comes to mind is LBP, if there was ever a game that needed a projector to be played on it would be Little Big Planet. Ill have to take a screen shot one day when we get 4 people on the screen.
post #21 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I plan on using my PS3 as my bd player. You know I'll throw up Killzone 2, Rainbow 6 Vegas 2, or what I'm really waiting for COD:MW2.

I'm almost positive I will be bringing my gaming computer down and hooking it up. Just have to get a dvi>hdmi converter. On pc I play L4D CSS WoW COD4 and others.
post #22 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal112524 View Post

Everyone knows that the bigger screen the better .

I haven't tried yet, but I believe that it is possible that a bigger screen on a FPS is worse. You have a larger surface to move the aim over etc that could make it harder to game on than a smaller screen. The question is what defines better -- a cooler experience or a better outcome in the game.

If I play a FPS online then better equals more fun and better stats. If the picture is great, but I kept dying then that does not equal better....

In regards to lag some PJ's have a "game mode" that leads to less processing. I would look for that. I would also go to HT stores and bring my ps3. Hook it up and try it out....... $4,000 to spend on a PJ will get you attention. It might not be much in this forum, but it is a good amount to spend in most stores especially in this economy
post #23 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
34 yr olds playing games? Bah ;-)

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/
post #24 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

I haven't tried yet, but I believe that it is possible that a bigger screen on a FPS is worse. You have a larger surface to move the aim over etc that could make it harder to game on than a smaller screen. The question is what defines better -- a cooler experience or a better outcome in the game.

If I play a FPS online then better equals more fun and better stats. If the picture is great, but I kept dying then that does not equal better....

In regards to lag some PJ's have a "game mode" that leads to less processing. I would look for that. I would also go to HT stores and bring my ps3. Hook it up and try it out....... $4,000 to spend on a PJ will get you attention. It might not be much in this forum, but it is a good amount to spend in most stores especially in this economy

I play COD WoW on a 120" screen using the PS3 with no problems. I actually like it better and my stats are the same as when I was using a 46" LCD. Oh and I'm 40 so does that qualify me as an adult?
post #25 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 08:05 PM

I'm 43 and have my 360 and PS3 shooting on a 92 inch screen. It really is as great as everyone says and truly makes gaming an "experience". I bought a 50" plasma for the bedroom and had moved the PS3 onto it for bluray purposes. On a whim I tried playing a couple of games on it and was actually laughing at how pathetic it was playing on such a small screen. Yes the colors were better and I suppose technically it was sharper but everything was so small as to be laughable.

You must do this. To not would be folly.

--Elliott--
(gamertag: hoofdpijn)

"Weck up to thees!"
post #26 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! I cant wait. Looks like another day as the new Vivitechs have shipment date ETA tomorrow instead of today. I still have a lot to do.

Im digging the moveable screen idea. I could shift it up and down on rails. Im adding that to the DIY list.

Not sure why I pressed the whole "adult" issue, I guess since Im 42, I didnt want opinions on how someones kids like to play Barney goes to the Circus or something.

I am concerned about this LAG issue though. It doesnt seem to be an issue to most everyone so I hope not for me as well. The girlfriend is a HUUUGE Guitar Hero fan and she would cry all night if she couldnt play due to LAG issues.

Im guessing also that everyone sits on the couch to play? I was just thinking that since the screen is so large and the enemies are running around, it might be more compelling to stand. Also if the PS3 gets a gun controller for sure.
post #27 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm happy with my 50" 1080p series 7 Samsung Plasma, but I'd really love a PJ. I am thinking about spending around 1K for one. Could I get a good one that has HDMI connections and projects at 1080p for that price or would I have to cough up a bit more? I See so many, but it's hard to decide.

I currently use my Plasma for Xbox gaming (Racing and First person shooter) watching Blu-rays on my Oppo and watching TV via my HD Direct TV receiver. So I'd like to do the same with any PJ that I would get.

This guys set up gets me going. I just ordered a playseat Evo so I'm sure on a PJ it would make the experience even better.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=17729898

US ARMY 42A2T/11C2T

another Deployment? ...you don't say
post #28 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post

I am concerned about this LAG issue though. It doesnt seem to be an issue to most everyone so I hope not for me as well. The girlfriend is a HUUUGE Guitar Hero fan and she would cry all night if she couldnt play due to LAG issues.

I've never noticed any lag playing Xbox 360 on a projector. Even if you do, though, Guitar Hero and Rock Band have options to calibrate for lag.
post #29 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am using an old Infocus X1 with my PS3. Games and Blueray look great.
post #30 of 112 Old 09-14-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post

The only time I REALLY notice lag is when I try some online FPS, and when THAT happens I am going up against folks who have better Internet connectivity and sometimes even high response monitors (Just visit any dedicated FPS forum and you will see people who are desperate to have a REALLY fast response monitor). As far as any Audio/Video lag problems with GH, players calibrate the "instruments" to make sure all Audio/Video/Gameplay is in sync. I love putting GHWT on the big screen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page