Color Wheel Louder Than Fan? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 09-15-2009, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all. I've owned a mits hc1500 for a bit over 18 months now. While i've always been pleased with the picture, i've been annoyed since day one that the whine from the color wheel is louder than the cooling fans. I have heard that such a thing is inherent with dlp's and this mits model in particular so i've dealt with it thus far, but lately it seems that the wheel's whine is getting louder.

So before i attempt to get warranty done through my best buy plan, I'd like to ask all of you if you can hear your color wheel over your fan and if you've had your wheel replaced, do you still hear the whine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-15-2009, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
The color wheel should NOT be audible. If you hear it and it is louder than the fans, it is the sign of impending failure. Those bearings fail, some sooner, some later, some not at all. But when they do fail, the color wheel stops and the projector shuts down. Get it repaired while it still is under warranty.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-15-2009, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback Sheridan. I appreciate your input. I went ahead and called Best Buy and the customer service rep was excellent. They are sending a repairman out Monday to swap out the bad wheel.
post #4 of 16 Old 09-15-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Repairing a projector in the field or onsite is unheard of. Let us know what happens, I would be VERY surprised if he, (1) actually opens the projector, and (2) actually has spare parts for ANY projector.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-24-2009, 07:58 AM

I'm curious how your repair went. My HC1500 is much noisier in the last few months than it was when I purchased it 18 months ago. I always had an issue with the high-pitched whine, but this has moved way beyond that. My kids use it for the xbox 360, and the projector is now louder than the 360 if that tells you anything. For movies it's a no-go. I used my Amex card to buy it from Amazon and may try out Amex's extended warranty provision.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-24-2009, 10:55 AM
PLB

Liked: 11
I had an InFocus X1 before I got my Mitsubishi HC1600. After a couple years the X1 fan started to whine. I paniced - naturally. But then it went away. Then it came back. Then it went away. Etc...

Eventually it was always whining. It sounded like a power tool running in another room. Then it seemed to come into the room itself. Loud. This was not one of those subtle effects that you try to get your friends to notice. It was loud.

I had openned up the X1 and performed some minor repairs but there was no way to repair the color wheel. I thought of buying a used X1 on eBay and doing a swap out. But the only really cheap ones seem to also have bad wheels.

So I bought a Mits 1600. I ordered it from Amazon. It came in the mail two days later and it was and is dead quiet.

The sound of a whining color wheel is like a crushing pain in your chest - it says "this one's dead".
post #7 of 16 Old 12-11-2009, 07:29 AM

I was planning on opening up my HC1500 and swapping out a loud operating fan, but after reading this I think it may be my color wheel. When I turn off the projector a loud (healthy) fan noise kicks in and the whining noise goes away, but when operating it's constant whine noise.

Is there only one fan in the HC1500 or is there an operating fan and a cooldown fan?
post #8 of 16 Old 12-11-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

There are multiple fans in all projectors. Some have only 2, some have more. My parts supplier lists 4 for that model, with the cost ranging from $50 to $70, depending on which one.

While it could be a fan, I've never had to replace one for any reason. Whine is usually attributed to the color wheel (in DLPs). It is described by some as a "buzzsaw" noise.

Now, if it IS the color wheel, sit down. My supplier shows the color wheel for the HC1500 as costing about $385!! Definitely one of the most expensive I've run across.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-11-2009, 02:14 PM

Thanks for your reply Sheridan! I think buzzsaw is a good description and I've come to the same faulty color wheel conclusion.

The $385 actually helps me justify upgrading to the Epson HC 8100 and selling my HC1500 on eBay for parts. The lack of a color wheel in the 3LCD model being a big feature
post #10 of 16 Old 12-11-2009, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Just so you know, no projector technology is without some drawbacks.

With DLP, it's the potential color wheel / light tunnel failures.

With LCD, there is the possibility of Polarizer burns from extended use, i.e., on for hours at a time. That results in an overall Yellow amorphous shape in the image.

There is also the fact that LCD units have more than 3 times the optical pieces than DLPs, none of them shielded in any way from dust. And the only way to clean them is to open the projector. You can minimize that with regular maintenance, cleaning the filters (if any) and any and all vents and openings with a vacuum.

I didn't post this to scare you, just let you know that there are potential issues no matter which way you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicInternet View Post

Thanks for your reply Sheridan! I think buzzsaw is a good description and I've come to the same faulty color wheel conclusion.

The $385 actually helps me justify upgrading to the Epson HC 8100 and selling my HC1500 on eBay for parts. The lack of a color wheel in the 3LCD model being a big feature

post #11 of 16 Old 12-16-2009, 08:09 AM

I have a client that is having a fan noise issue. From what I have read so far, it seems more likely that it is a color wheel issue. Projector is 2 mos old so looks like we will be calling for service. The best way I could describe the sound is that it sounds like the fan is hitting a resonant frequency of a thin piece of sheet metal (like a heat shield) and causing it to vibrate and give of this high pitched ringing sound. Just wanted to confirm if that is what the bad color wheel noise sounded like. Thanks for posting the issue, all the posted information has been a huge help.

Jason A.
TheaterXtreme
post #12 of 16 Old 12-16-2009, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting description, that certainly sounds like the color wheel. While it is unusual for it to go bad that quickly, I will say this. I just installed a new color wheel in an Infocus projector for a customer and it started making noise within 2 weeks. Never had that happen before.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan1952 View Post

Interesting description, that certainly sounds like the color wheel. While it is unusual for it to go bad that quickly, I will say this. I just installed a new color wheel in an Infocus projector for a customer and it started making noise within 2 weeks. Never had that happen before.

Could be the bearings. When you buy a replacement color wheel do they come with new bearings?
Like you , I would be VERY suprised if any BEST BUY technician would come to your house and replace a projectors color wheel!
The noise and life issues of the spinning color wheel, and the 'rainbow' issue, are the factors that steer me away from considering single chip DLP projectors. This is just a personal opinion, but to me 3-LCD is a better technology at this price level, even though as you correctly point out, it does have its own drawbacks. But, obviously, 3 chip DLP reigns supreme - at a huge price!
post #14 of 16 Old 12-17-2009, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

A new color wheel does come as a complete assembly, including the bearings. The assembly is such that you would not be able to take it apart to replace the bearings.

Oh yeah, I wish I could afford a 3 chip DLP. But replacing a color wheel every year is still cheaper.

Yeah, field repairs of that nature are unheard of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffman View Post

Could be the bearings. When you buy a replacement color wheel do they come with new bearings?
Like you , I would be VERY suprised if any BEST BUY technician would come to your house and replace a projectors color wheel!
The noise and life issues of the spinning color wheel, and the 'rainbow' issue, are the factors that steer me away from considering single chip DLP projectors. This is just a personal opinion, but to me 3-LCD is a better technology at this price level, even though as you correctly point out, it does have its own drawbacks. But, obviously, 3 chip DLP reigns supreme - at a huge price!

post #15 of 16 Old 08-25-2012, 02:50 PM

why this color wheel cost so much? i knew most of color wheel just cost USD100 around, even Runco RS1100 color wheel cost about USD150 only, your supplier is really crazy....
post #16 of 16 Old 08-27-2012, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

You're right, my supplier is really crazy for wanting to make a profit so they can stay in business. Yes, many color wheels are only about $100 - $150, on average. Mitsubishi is a lot more expensive on their parts than most other manufacturers.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page