Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 705HD - Page 7 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 705HD

Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Itsdon's Avatar Itsdon
12:12 PM Liked: 12
post #181 of 513
02-28-2010 | Posts: 1,079
I have (ugh) 7' ceilings and bought a mount off of eBay for $20 that put the projector 4" from the ceiling which is the closest I could find. If you find something closer I'd like to know!
ps2baseball's Avatar ps2baseball
01:35 PM Liked: 10
post #182 of 513
02-28-2010 | Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsdon View Post

I have (ugh) 7' ceilings and bought a mount off of eBay for $20 that put the projector 4" from the ceiling which is the closest I could find. If you find something closer I'd like to know!

I may or may not buy something for this reason. Thinking of a shelf actually.
cjsiv's Avatar cjsiv
02:43 PM Liked: 29
post #183 of 513
02-28-2010 | Posts: 673
I use the $15 one from monoprice. Comes with 2 different lengths of pipe. The short one gives a distance of 80mm. There is a video on the monoprice website of them setting one up. You may want to take a look:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

80mm is roughly a little over 3 inches. Not too bad. If you click on the "larger images" tab it gives the dimensions assembled. I had to use the longer one myself to drop it through my ceiling panels.
Itsdon's Avatar Itsdon
02:59 PM Liked: 12
post #184 of 513
02-28-2010 | Posts: 1,079
I used that one prior to the eBay one. It has a drop of nearly 5 inches. Not sure how they came up with that dimension but it is wrong. It has some especially thick "arms" that add to the overall height. Also, I found that that mount had a serious issue with adjustments (or lack thereof).

I buy tons of stuff from Monoprice and hardly ever disappointed but i was with this particular item.
04:15 PM Liked: 10
post #185 of 513
02-28-2010 | Posts: 268
cjsiv,

You said you had a problem installing at first too, right?
cjsiv's Avatar cjsiv
04:45 PM Liked: 29
post #186 of 513
02-28-2010 | Posts: 673
Yeah. Once I tightened up the bolt holding the "disc" it was great. I actually really like it. For the money I think it's great. I just don't think the $100 ones are that much better. The first mount I ever had was a peerless one for an Infocus X1. The monoprice one is light years ahead of that. I tried a sanus one for the Mits hc1600 I tried out and it was about $100. Had lots and lots of extra parts. It was ok, but quite bulky. It was like you saw as much of the mount as the projector. Anyway, I wouldn't buy the monoprice one for a 20lb projector, but for a simple lightweight one like the 705, I think it works just fine. Like I said, I didn't use the short tube so I was just going by the monoprice website. Sorry.
bron's Avatar bron
10:31 PM Liked: 10
post #187 of 513
02-28-2010 | Posts: 1,087
Here's an interesting bit for those who may not have run across it before:

Quote:

Contrast and Brightness: As already stated, contrast does not stand on its own! A higher image brightness level would yield a better perceived contrast ratio for a fixed level of ambient light. This means that a projector with a lower contrast ratio but with higher rated lumens output may under certain light conditions, perform better than one with a higher contrast ratio but lower brightness level.

This supports the idea that the EX-70/700/71/705HD etc. type units may indeed be a good choice for viewing in a room with ambient light (vs. a dark HT room setup).

Also interesting to note is that cited CR's for Cinema projection (i.e. commercial cinemas) was 500:1 - 1000:1. And 500:1 was quoted in several sources as typical. (I'm sure the 705HD CR must be in the 400-500:1 range w/auto iris off.)

Equally important, I ran across data stating that the eye does not perceive much more than 800:1 ("instant"), one cited 300:1 average, (though it can see much, much higher ratios overall over time). Leading to the stated conclusions, also, that perceptible differences diminish to insignificance rapidly as CR's climb much above this. (Now HT buffs will certainly contest this, but that's what science says.)

And further:
Quote:

In reality, anything above 400:1 for the contrast ratio would not be perceived by the eye if viewing does not take place in a completely darkened environment.

At any rate, for most of us, not too big a deal anyway, but if you are looking for some comfort and support for your "geez, this looks pretty much OK to me" impression, now you have it.
andr0373's Avatar andr0373
09:57 AM Liked: 10
post #188 of 513
03-04-2010 | Posts: 2
I just purchased the epson EX-71 last weekend from Best Buy for 749.99. I had been shopping around for a while and wantes something in the range of $800 with a wider screen ratio than SVGA. 1080 projectors were still to prices (at least double), and for the amount of content available out there now in 1080 I didn't think it would be worth it. The technology seems to be advancing quickly so I now doubt will be upgrading within the next 1-3 years at which time 1080 will be more standard.

I was so excited I set the thing up on a makshift box behind the couch for a few days just to get a taste of what it can do. The screen is about 125", throw length about 11'. I didn't want to spend a lot on a mount, so I built one (inverted wall mount) for about $20 which was fairly simple and I will try and post pictures soon with the design details. It is now mounted on the ceiling and I am continuing to clean up the wiring and performing adjustments.

My initial impressions are this:

This this is bright. I have a west facing window that lets in a lot of light, even with the blinds closed with my projection on the adjacent South wall. The brightness, even on ECO mode cuts right through the ambient light. Blacks are washed out a bit, but with hardly any light control this projector provides a good solution.

The Iris is lound, and on Normal mode the fan is moderately loud, but less so when mounted 6 feet above your head on the ceiling.

Quick power on, quick power off is nice and all the inputs give you lots of options for hooking up multiple components.

I am going to do some serious tuning and movie watching this weekend to run this thing through the full set of testing and will report back with the results.

For the money though, I highly recommend already.
bron's Avatar bron
01:33 PM Liked: 10
post #189 of 513
03-07-2010 | Posts: 1,087
Cool! Will look forward to hearing more once you get it all set up and can play with it some more.
07:53 AM Liked: 10
post #190 of 513
03-14-2010 | Posts: 268
I need to run 35' of cable. Am I better off with HDMI or component?

I will have Direct TV and didn't know if the audio ports on the back of the receiver would even work in tandem with HDMI.
cjsiv's Avatar cjsiv
08:05 AM Liked: 29
post #191 of 513
03-14-2010 | Posts: 673
Some people seem to have issues with running hdmi that length. I ordered a 50ft hdmi cable from amazon for $22. It works great. Others have had issues. I have a 30ft component cable that I had to have made for my first infocus projector and it cost me about $100 back then. I would try the hdmi from amazon or monoprice and if you have any issues, their return policies are no hassle at all.
02:06 PM Liked: 10
post #192 of 513
03-14-2010 | Posts: 268
But if I hook up a receiver later, can I still run the red/white cables from the back of my DTV receiver into the audio receiver/speakers?
toxic_rage's Avatar toxic_rage
11:44 AM Liked: 10
post #193 of 513
03-15-2010 | Posts: 61
I have been a silent reader to this post for a while now but couldn't take it anymore so I have decided to ask this:

I am on the fence about this projector and here is why. BestBuy.ca has the EX 71 on sale for $600 CDN (inc. shipping) until March 18, 2010 which is a really good price! That is a $200 reduction of their regular price. Would I buy this unit for $800... hmm probably not, for $600... maybe.

The reason my answer is "maybe" is because I am a bit concerned about the black levels, which by the sounds of things said here, are not great. I am okay with LCD-TV-like black levels and I am not expecting plasma-like results, however, this unit will go into my basement with zero light coming in (basement has no windows where the projector will be). Will this bright display, in eco-mode, kill the viewing pleasure if I watch it in the dark or with very dim lights on? Will the picture be similar to an LCD TV being viewed in a pitch black room?

Also, as a side note, the 705 HD has 3000:1 contrast, the EX 71 2000:1 contrast ratio. Will this make any difference in viewing? Should I even bother with this number?

My other option, $250 more, is the Optoma ET700XE (HD65) from Costco. Would this unit, 40% more expensive, be a better choice for an almost pitch black basement? Would you justify this for an extra $250!!

(BTW, great discussion, greatly appreciated).

PS: This will be my first projector ever so I really don't know what to expect.
david_nc's Avatar david_nc
12:09 PM Liked: 10
post #194 of 513
03-15-2010 | Posts: 182
I'm ready to order one of these but am not happy with prices. I don't think I need to pay more than MSRP for an item like this. Does anybody have any suggestions on where to order a 705HD? Dish will be out on Saturday to install my HD DVR's... I really don't want to watch HD transmissions my old non-HD RPTV! Thanks.
02:35 PM Liked: 10
post #195 of 513
03-15-2010 | Posts: 268
Got mine from TigerDirect - $699 includes tax and shipping.
UTCOUG's Avatar UTCOUG
03:41 PM Liked: 10
post #196 of 513
03-15-2010 | Posts: 16
Wow, I must have lucked out. B&H had it for 662 shipped a couple of weeks ago and I also got 3% back through bing so it came out to about 640 total. I haven't seen it that low since though.
david_nc's Avatar david_nc
03:45 PM Liked: 10
post #197 of 513
03-15-2010 | Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2baseball View Post

Got mine from TigerDirect - $699 includes tax and shipping.

Tiger doesn't seem to have it listed anymore. I wonder if it's getting ready to be replaced with a different model.
bobbyslav's Avatar bobbyslav
04:54 PM Liked: 10
post #198 of 513
03-15-2010 | Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_rage View Post

I have been a silent reader to this post for a while now but couldn't take it anymore so I have decided to ask this:

I am on the fence about this projector and here is why. BestBuy.ca has the EX 71 on sale for $600 CDN (inc. shipping) until March 18, 2010 which is a really good price! That is a $200 reduction of their regular price. Would I buy this unit for $800... hmm probably not, for $600... maybe.

The reason my answer is "maybe" is because I am a bit concerned about the black levels, which by the sounds of things said here, are not great. I am okay with LCD-TV-like black levels and I am not expecting plasma-like results, however, this unit will go into my basement with zero light coming in (basement has no windows where the projector will be). Will this bright display, in eco-mode, kill the viewing pleasure if I watch it in the dark or with very dim lights on? Will the picture be similar to an LCD TV being viewed in a pitch black room?

Also, as a side note, the 705 HD has 3000:1 contrast, the EX 71 2000:1 contrast ratio. Will this make any difference in viewing? Should I even bother with this number?

My other option, $250 more, is the Optoma ET700XE (HD65) from Costco. Would this unit, 40% more expensive, be a better choice for an almost pitch black basement? Would you justify this for an extra $250!!

(BTW, great discussion, greatly appreciated).

PS: This will be my first projector ever so I really don't know what to expect.

Definitely go with the Optoma. I don't think the Epson will be good for your situation. It is extremely bright, I found it objectionably bright. The black levels are nothing like an LCD TV, think more like a rear projection CRT from the early 90's.

The 2000:1 and 3000:1 numbers are marketing fluff, doubt there is any difference between the two. The real contrast ratio is less than 500:1.

I know a lot of people on here seem to love their 705s, but I really thought its picture was very poor. While I had it I found myself preferring my 26" LCD.
07:22 PM Liked: 10
post #199 of 513
03-15-2010 | Posts: 61
Pulled the trigger and ordered it from BB - I just couldn't resist the price. We will see if I have made a (semi-) good decision. Will keep you posted.
cjsiv's Avatar cjsiv
07:41 PM Liked: 29
post #200 of 513
03-15-2010 | Posts: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav View Post

Definitely go with the Optoma. I don't think the Epson will be good for your situation. It is extremely bright, I found it objectionably bright. The black levels are nothing like an LCD TV, think more like a rear projection CRT from the early 90's.

The 2000:1 and 3000:1 numbers are marketing fluff, doubt there is any difference between the two. The real contrast ratio is less than 500:1.

I know a lot of people on here seem to love their 705s, but I really thought its picture was very poor. While I had it I found myself preferring my 26" LCD.

I have noticed that you are very anti 705. Based from you posts, you make it sound like this thing is the worst piece of crap ever produced. The black levels are not that bad. I think comparing it to a crt from the early 90's is a bit off the deep end. In my opinion, I could never recommend an optoma. Their build quality and reliability is mediocre at best. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I get the feeling you are here simply for the purpose of bashing this projector. If you returned it, why are still lurking on the 705 forum? If you don't own it or are possibly purchasing it, what purpose does your input serve other than discouraging anyone from buying it? Personally, I love the brightness. The sharpness is good. Screen door is minimal. For a $600 projector, it does a great job. The bulb is cheap to replace. In this price range, trade offs have to be made. You can't expect $2000 performance for $600. If this isn't good enough, look at the panny ax200 or jump to the $1500 1080p range. We all want something for nothing. How would they ever sell a 8500UB if the 705hd looked like a 100" plasma? I'm not trying to be offensive, but how would you like me saying your projector looked like something from 1991?
09:14 PM Liked: 10
post #201 of 513
03-15-2010 | Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

I have noticed that you are very anti 705. Based from you posts, you make it sound like this thing is the worst piece of crap ever produced. The black levels are not that bad. I think comparing it to a crt from the early 90's is a bit off the deep end. In my opinion, I could never recommend an optoma. Their build quality and reliability is mediocre at best. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I get the feeling you are here simply for the purpose of bashing this projector. If you returned it, why are still lurking on the 705 forum? If you don't own it or are possibly purchasing it, what purpose does your input serve other than discouraging anyone from buying it? Personally, I love the brightness. The sharpness is good. Screen door is minimal. For a $600 projector, it does a great job. The bulb is cheap to replace. In this price range, trade offs have to be made. You can't expect $2000 performance for $600. If this isn't good enough, look at the panny ax200 or jump to the $1500 1080p range. We all want something for nothing. How would they ever sell a 8500UB if the 705hd looked like a 100" plasma? I'm not trying to be offensive, but how would you like me saying your projector looked like something from 1991?

Enough with the 2000 comparisons please... no one is comparing it to 2000 dollar projectors. It's my opinion, and I shared it with someone who asked.

Enjoy your 705.
Itsdon's Avatar Itsdon
10:27 PM Liked: 12
post #202 of 513
03-15-2010 | Posts: 1,079
Quote:

Agreed. I have a Sharp DT500 (really nice elderly 720P DLP) and the 705HD in two different households. I've calibrated and lived with both now and to tell the truth the black levels are better on the Sharp but.... that's it. Once calibrated and fed a decent native 720P source the 705 kicks butt.

You can watch it in the daytime, you can watch it at night, you can put it just about anywhere due to it's tiny size and warranty along with cost of replacement bulbs is tops in the industry. You cannot buy a better projector for the same price. Yes, there are more expensive projectors but I certainly wouldn't pass up at least demoing the 705HD, it holds up to the competition extremely well.
08:55 AM Liked: 10
post #203 of 513
03-16-2010 | Posts: 61
BestBuy has this Epson on back order so now it is a waiting game. Once I do get it, I will contribute my 5 cents for all of you who still might be interested in this projector.

I was also thinking about the ND2/4 filters (for $20 - just a square glass piece, - it is worth experimenting with). I have already talked with some camera shops about it but I am not really sure how to attach it to the lens since it is recessed into the body of the unit. Any thoughts?
mikejl43's Avatar mikejl43
09:41 AM Liked: 10
post #204 of 513
03-16-2010 | Posts: 4
I picked up a 705HD last week. I watch Blu-ray DVD's on a 92" screen and it looks great.

bobbyslav, you just have to be exaggerating the negative quality of this projector or you have a broken one.
12:55 PM Liked: 10
post #205 of 513
03-16-2010 | Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejl43 View Post

I picked up a 705HD last week. I watch Blu-ray DVD's on a 92" screen and it looks great.

bobbyslav, you just have to be exaggerating the negative quality of this projector or you have a broken one.

Well, I think it depends on your previous experience with projectors too... Plus I didn't have Blu Ray to try it with, my only HD source was Xbox Netflix streaming.

Still, coming from a Mitsubishi HD1500 and now on a LG HS201, I was not satisfied with the 705's picture at all.

The only thing I liked was playing xbox games, because everything was easier to see.
SKoprowski's Avatar SKoprowski
01:31 PM Liked: 11
post #206 of 513
03-16-2010 | Posts: 1,484
Quote:

Well, I think it depends on your previous experience with projectors too... Plus I didn't have Blu Ray to try it with, my only HD source was Xbox Netflix streaming.

Still, coming from a Mitsubishi HD1500 and now on a LG HS201, I was not satisfied with the 705's picture at all.

The only thing I liked was playing xbox games, because everything was easier to see.

That's like test driving a car in the snow and then telling everyone that car didn't handle well with the exception of a very small strip of road that was plowed. LOL
Itsdon's Avatar Itsdon
01:31 PM Liked: 12
post #207 of 513
03-16-2010 | Posts: 1,079
Quote:

BluRay is a bonus, not a requirement. Any good media streamer (WD HD, Popcorn Hour) that upscales to 720P (or satellite/cable HD) will produce a really really good image.

The key to this thing is getting a good 720P signal to it. If you let the projector process the signal you will come away disappointed.
01:52 PM Liked: 10
post #208 of 513
whatever... your money
cjsiv's Avatar cjsiv
02:23 PM Liked: 29
post #209 of 513
03-16-2010 | Posts: 673
I'm gonna take back some of what I said, bobby. In order for this projector to look nice, it really needs an hd signal. I don't watch sd on it because it pretty much looks like crap at 92". I've watched netflix hd via the xbox and it is nowhere near what bluray or my hd dish is. For your needs, it probably was a bad choice. The LG with 600 X 800 prob does look better. It also took me about 2 weeks of playing with it to really get it tweaked. Now I love it. I hate when I post something and some idiot jumps all over me. If I did that to you, I apologize. For your needs it wasn't great. For others, though, it may be just what they are looking for.
04:56 PM Liked: 10
post #210 of 513
Quote:

I'm gonna take back some of what I said, bobby. In order for this projector to look nice, it really needs an hd signal. I don't watch sd on it because it pretty much looks like crap at 92". I've watched netflix hd via the xbox and it is nowhere near what bluray or my hd dish is. For your needs, it probably was a bad choice. The LG with 600 X 800 prob does look better. It also took me about 2 weeks of playing with it to really get it tweaked. Now I love it. I hate when I post something and some idiot jumps all over me. If I did that to you, I apologize. For your needs it wasn't great. For others, though, it may be just what they are looking for.

Thanks for that.

I was responding to someone with a specific situation in mind - he was looking for a projector for a dedicated theater room (basement, with absolutely no ambient light). So for that specific situation, I didn't think the 705 was the best choice.

For someone who needs it in a family room, and will mostly use it for sports, games, and HD with some ambient light, then it will be a better fit.

Also don't forget, that even though I am now on a SVGA projector, I was coming from a 720p Mitsubishi, which looked fantastic with SD signals, DVD, Xbox, you name it.

I also think it's a DLP vs. LCD issue. I am a big fan of the image quality of DLP projectors, but the rainbow artifacts bothered me, even on the 4x Mitsubishi.

This is why I had big hopes for the 705, which on paper seemed to best the Mitsubishi (contrast 3000:1, 2500 lumens, etc). I guess I was overly disappointed, because I was expecting comparable performance.

Now my bliss is almost full though - I have DLP with no rainbows, don't have to worry about bulb life, and hear no noise from the projector. The only problem left is the lower resolution, but im my mind it's a worthy trade off at the moment.

After going LED, I don't think I want to go back to bulb projectors. My next upgrade will be when a new HD LED projector comes out, or this one breaks down - whichever comes first.
Tags: Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 705 Hd 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector

Gear in this thread - 720p by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Subscribe to this Thread