post #301 of 8513 Old 10-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post

I agree with you. So your telling me the stupid processing is gonna flash on screen during movies like Dark Knight, Transformers 2 Imax version, and others like Enchanted that start out pillarboxed and then open up after the opening!!!???? If so this may be a deal killer for me. I don't wanna be enjoying a movie and then when it switches ratios have that pop up on the screen everytime. There is no way to disable the auto switch ratio feature?

You don't have to have it automatically switch ratios.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 8513 Old 10-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2060 View Post

You don't have to have it automatically switch ratios.

Oh, I thought I read where there was no way to turn it off?
post #303 of 8513 Old 10-17-2009, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

What people are complaining about is the inability to turn off the message that appears on the screen when zoom/focus changes occur.
post #304 of 8513 Old 10-17-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAP View Post

Actually, looking back I've had my ae700 5 years now. Panasonic has a cool little page showing the evolution of their projectors here: http://www.panasonic.net/avc/project.../ae_projector/

I'm 6 generations behind at this point, but quite honestly I would have gone another year or two at least if mine hadn't stopped working. I actually have a brand new bulb ready to use, guess i'll have to ebay it.

My friend has the AE700 on a 92" diagonal Graywolf screen. It looks really nice and the gray screen certainly helps it out.

I have the AE900 and it's funny how even these older projectors can still "wow" guests. The big image will always do it.

That said, once I saw the JVC RS20 playing lots of my DVDs and Blu Rays at a forum member's house, it was painful coming back to my AE900. The difference was far from subtle to say the least. And once you see the black levels and depth of image achieved by something like the JVC, I find it hard to be happy with the relatively high black levels of an old Panny projector.

(Which is why I now have an RS20 ready to replace my AE900).

But, even older projectors can look great (as long as you don't do careful comparisons to the current crop of higher contrast projectors...my friend says he's so happy with his AE700 he doesn't even want to see the JVC once it's up and running ).
post #305 of 8513 Old 10-17-2009, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Well, the plan right now is to get the AE4000 for my bedroom. The cool thing, though, is that with my current main home theater arrangement, it's going to be easy as pie to set up and compare the 4000 to my Sharp XV-Z20000 DLP projector. The Sharp has great ANSI contrast and a really fine lens, as well as a good CMS. Since it's a single chip, it's a very clean, sharp image. I've been DLP since I got rid of my CRT projector, so it should be really interesting to have a DLP and an LCD in my own theater. I hadn't really considered LCD in the past, but I've also never had one to do a direct A/B, so I'm kinda looking forward to it.

The Panasonic 4000 price puts it right in the range of my Sony 52" LCD flat panel. Since I'm used to a 110" screen in my main home theater, I've always felt the XBR was too tiny, even in a small bedroom. My sister and her husband laughed when they heard me say that, because they want to put a 52" LCD in their living room.

One question I have for the 3000 users is about displaying the Windows desktop with the 3000. I actually do quite a lot of this, since I surf with the Sharp pretty frequently. The DLP renders an absolutely gorgeous computer desktop image. It's sharp as a tack, whether I'm checking email or playing Blu-ray. How's the computing experience on the AE3000?

Joe Clark

post #306 of 8513 Old 10-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My friend has the AE700 on a 92" diagonal Graywolf screen. It looks really nice and the gray screen certainly helps it out.

I have the AE900 and it's funny how even these older projectors can still "wow" guests. The big image will always do it.

That said, once I saw the JVC RS20 playing lots of my DVDs and Blu Rays at a forum member's house, it was painful coming back to my AE900. The difference was far from subtle to say the least. And once you see the black levels and depth of image achieved by something like the JVC, I find it hard to be happy with the relatively high black levels of an old Panny projector.

(Which is why I now have an RS20 ready to replace my AE900).

But, even older projectors can look great (as long as you don't do careful comparisons to the current crop of higher contrast projectors...my friend says he's so happy with his AE700 he doesn't even want to see the JVC once it's up and running ).

I'm still using an L300U (1700 hours) on a ~100" screen and nice blu-ray still impresses. The AE-4000 should knock my socks off!
post #307 of 8513 Old 10-17-2009, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
A front pj in the bedroom. An excellent idea! What size screen?

I'm with you on screen size. Some months back I bought a 50" Panny Plasma to replace a really ancient (10 year old) rear pj in my smallish den. Even though my viewing distance is just under 6' and the Panny beats my 4 year old BenQ in just about every parameter it just doesn't have the wow factor that my 133" screen in the HT provides.

Unless we start hearing negatives about the AE4000 it will be my upgrade.

It will also be so simple to compare it to the in place BenQ. Will not be really a fair comparison as by the time the 4000 might be here the lamp in the old pj will have around 2500 hours on it. Added to this I will be able to place the 4000 to extract the maximum gain out of my Da-Lite HP screen.

Recently in this search for a replacement unit I've thought about the new Sony or perhaps the JVC.

Spend x times extra? Seems to me to not make sense. LED based units soon? Will 3D be the must have "new thing" in 3-4 years?

Fun times with all the changes in technology that we can believe in.

Joe
post #308 of 8513 Old 10-17-2009, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That bedroom was one that I seldom used, since my Godfather passed away. I recently decided to do some acoustical treatments in there and upgraded the sound system with Energy RC-30 speakers. It sounded so good that I ended up spending a lot more time in it. When I added the Sony 52" LCD, it just seemed so small. The bad thing about projection TV is that it's pretty much spoiled me for anything else.

I'm thinking about an 80" screen. I can't go much bigger than that in the small room. I use a 110" HP in my main home theater room (the largest possible size for that room), and I'm interested in finding out how bright an 80" HP will be with the 4000. I'm almost certain I'll have to filter it so my eyes aren't seared. That's OK. I'll remove the filter (or change it) after a few hundred hours. I plan to build a custom frame and attach the screen to the wall mount I'm using for the Sony LCD. That should give me plenty of placement flexibility.

Joe Clark

post #309 of 8513 Old 10-17-2009, 08:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm into 3D in my home theater as soon as possible, but the price on this Panasonic is so ridiculous, it makes more sense than a smaller LCD flat panel. I can control ambient light pretty well without a lot of effort, so I'm going to do it. I think Panasonic is the most likely candidate for a 3D projector, what with all the noise they're making about it in the press, and their links to James Cameron because of Avatar.

Joe Clark

post #310 of 8513 Old 10-18-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Well, the plan right now is to get the AE4000 for my bedroom. The cool thing, though, is that with my current main home theater arrangement, it's going to be easy as pie to set up and compare the 4000 to my Sharp XV-Z20000 DLP projector. The Sharp has great ANSI contrast and a really fine lens, as well as a good CMS. Since it's a single chip, it's a very clean, sharp image. I've been DLP since I got rid of my CRT projector, so it should be really interesting to have a DLP and an LCD in my own theater. I hadn't really considered LCD in the past, but I've also never had one to do a direct A/B, so I'm kinda looking forward to it.

The Panasonic 4000 price puts it right in the range of my Sony 52" LCD flat panel. Since I'm used to a 110" screen in my main home theater, I've always felt the XBR was too tiny, even in a small bedroom. My sister and her husband laughed when they heard me say that, because they want to put a 52" LCD in their living room.

One question I have for the 3000 users is about displaying the Windows desktop with the 3000. I actually do quite a lot of this, since I surf with the Sharp pretty frequently. The DLP renders an absolutely gorgeous computer desktop image. It's sharp as a tack, whether I'm checking email or playing Blu-ray. How's the computing experience on the AE3000?

I've hooked mine up to my Laptop a couple times. It's OK. Not Jaw dropping.

120" Electric Motorized Remote Projection Screen Movie Projector Black Matt 16:9, Elite Screens R115WH1-WIDE ezFrame Fixed Projection Screen (115" 2.35:1 AR)(CineWhite), Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2-Channel THX Select2 Plus Certified Network A/V Receiver(Black), Klipsch Reference Series R-1650-C In-Wall/In...
post #311 of 8513 Old 10-18-2009, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bujee1 View Post

I've hooked mine up to my Laptop a couple times. It's OK. Not Jaw dropping.

My computer has a Radeon 4850 card running at 1920x1080p, so it maps pixel by pixel to the Sharp. Since the Sharp is a single chip, text is extremely clean. I suppose I'm asking if there is much of a convergence issue with the AE3000 in text or fine desktop details. I think that's where I would notice it most, rather than in films or regular HDTV programming.

Joe Clark

post #312 of 8513 Old 10-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I watched that youtube video on the 4000. I don't see how that little processing box on screen for a few seconds could be a deal breaker. The way some people were talking (before I saw the video) I thought it covered the whole screen with a huge box and PROCESSING was being melded into your brain every time it shows up.
post #313 of 8513 Old 10-18-2009, 11:03 AM

Liked: 14
I can see why people are complaining about it, but it is no way a deal breaker. I do agree it would be nice if it could be turned off or if it weren't located right in the center.

-- jaydillyo

post #314 of 8513 Old 10-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I'm into 3D in my home theater as soon as possible, but the price on this Panasonic is so ridiculous, it makes more sense than a smaller LCD flat panel. I can control ambient light pretty well without a lot of effort, so I'm going to do it. I think Panasonic is the most likely candidate for a 3D projector, what with all the noise they're making about it in the press, and their links to James Cameron because of Avatar.

I don't see why you would assume it might support 3d in the future. (at least that the impression i'm getting)

This projector does not, and most likely will never support 3d, unless of course you get two of them.

The one thing holding me back from all these good deals right now is the fact that i'm a fan of 3d stereo. (i already have dual 720p projectors) And even before all these projectors came out we knew they were not gonna support the upcoming 3d standard in 2010... kinda sucks. i know they have to wait for the standard to come out before they can release the displays for it, but it sure would be nice if there were some true 120Hz input projectors in the market other than the DepthQ.
post #315 of 8513 Old 10-18-2009, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamus View Post

I don't see why you would assume it might support 3d in the future. (at least that the impression i'm getting)

This projector does not, and most likely will never support 3d, unless of course you get two of them.

The one thing holding me back from all these good deals right now is the fact that i'm a fan of 3d stereo. (i already have dual 720p projectors) And even before all these projectors came out we knew they were not gonna support the upcoming 3d standard in 2010... kinda sucks. i know they have to wait for the standard to come out before they can release the displays for it, but it sure would be nice if there were some true 120Hz input projectors in the market other than the DepthQ.

I didn't mean to imply that. I just said I think Panasonic will be among the first companies to support 3D in a projector.

Joe Clark

post #316 of 8513 Old 10-18-2009, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorr View Post

You beat me to my answer. The Dark Knight is a good example. Also, everytime I start a movie from the menu, I don't want to see Processing............................................... ANNOYING! Then your audience is asking you about it instead of being sucked into the movie.

Why would you have this feature turned on for TDK? Just when the image is supposed to get larger, it gets smaller with this feature for CIH folks. I would think the best way to see TDK would be to lock in your AR to 2.40 and crop the top and bottom of the picture during those IMAX sequences.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #317 of 8513 Old 10-18-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman View Post

Why would you have this feature turned on for TDK? Just when the image is supposed to get larger, it gets smaller with this feature for CIH folks. I would think the best way to see TDK would be to lock in your AR to 2.40 and crop the top and bottom of the picture during those IMAX sequences.

No, The best way to see it is as the director intended on a 16:9 screen.
This cracks me up. The whole point of CIH is to see it as the director intended,,,(unless you don't agree with it.)

120" Electric Motorized Remote Projection Screen Movie Projector Black Matt 16:9, Elite Screens R115WH1-WIDE ezFrame Fixed Projection Screen (115" 2.35:1 AR)(CineWhite), Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2-Channel THX Select2 Plus Certified Network A/V Receiver(Black), Klipsch Reference Series R-1650-C In-Wall/In...
post #318 of 8513 Old 10-18-2009, 09:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bujee1 View Post

No, The best way to see it is as the director intended on a 16:9 screen.
This cracks me up. The whole point of CIH is to see it as the director intended,,,(unless you don't agree with it.)

I agree with watching in OAR as the director intended, however I feel it's kind of a slap in the face to serious home theater enthusiasts to implement such a thing on a dvd or Blu-ray.
I don't like the switching back and forth... and how was this switching thing even beneficial in a standard movie theater?
Did they leave the screen masking closed to 16:9, and then shrink the pic for the 2.35:1 segments?
It's supposed to be the opposite. The 2.35 is supposed to be bigger (wider) than 16:9.
Great movie, but very bad implementation on disc IMO.
[off_topic_rant_over]

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #319 of 8513 Old 10-19-2009, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting talk. I just want the picture to look good.
post #320 of 8513 Old 10-19-2009, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

although the 4000 looks promising, its light output is still a weak link.

In its best mode it gets around 550 lumens, putting it in eco mode drops it by 32%, thus netting out at 374... I consider that a serious limitation.
post #321 of 8513 Old 10-19-2009, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I've read through a couple of threads on the 4000u now and I still don't know the answer to 1 question.

What is the projectors native refresh rate?

One of the things I like about my Samsung LCD is that the native refresh rate is 120hz so there is no jitter when watching 24p material. I do NOT use the frame interpolation feature, but the fact that there is no 3:2 pulldown required results in a nice smooth pan.

I'm curious how this projector will display 1080/24p material. If it displays it at 24 or even 48hz it will be unwatchable for me as I am very sensitive to low refresh rates.

Thanks!

Russell
post #322 of 8513 Old 10-19-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpltongue View Post

I'm curious how this projector will display 1080/24p material. If it displays it at 24 or even 48hz it will be unwatchable for me as I am very sensitive to low refresh rates.

I suppose the intelligent frame creation feature will help with this. No?
post #323 of 8513 Old 10-19-2009, 09:24 AM

Now I am a bit confused with the new lens memory feature. Simply put, if I build a 2.35:1 screen and I am displaying a 2.35:1 source the screen will be fully used. Am I correct in stating the new feature will take my 16/9 source and fill the screen without loss of quality or pixel crop?

Seeing that the viewing is 50/50 I still trying to decide if my new bigger screen will be 16x9 or 2.35:1
post #324 of 8513 Old 10-19-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

TheSensFan,

No, I do not use the intelligent frame creation feature. I don't want to create frames that aren't there. What I do want to do is display the frames in an even interval (i.e. each of the 24hz frames repeated 5 times equals 120hz). Also, I want it done at a minimum of 96hz or my eyes fatigue.

With regards to the zoom feature, if you have a 2.35 screen you will see movies like this:

2.35 will take up the full size of the screen but only use ~66% of the projectors pixels.
16/9 movies will take up the full height, but not the full width of the screen and will use 100% of the projectors pixels.

Hope that helps some.
post #325 of 8513 Old 10-19-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by trpltongue View Post

I've read through a couple of threads on the 4000u now and I still don't know the answer to 1 question.

What is the projectors native refresh rate?

One of the things I like about my Samsung LCD is that the native refresh rate is 120hz so there is no jitter when watching 24p material. I do NOT use the frame interpolation feature, but the fact that there is no 3:2 pulldown required results in a nice smooth pan.

Thanks!

Russell

Even the AE1000 does this at 96hz right? Not sure this much of a factor to that many people, but maybe?
post #326 of 8513 Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 AM

I am from Canada, but the $1,999 price ( which will be a bit higher in Canada ) now makes the next PJ purchase alot more interesting. I had the Mit 6800 as a #1 choice followed by the Epson 8500 and now I have to consider the Panasonic 4000. The warranty is only 1 yr on the Panny so that is why it drops to 3 rd place for me. The Epson is still questionable based on the QC issues on lst yr's model the 6500 , so I will wait to see what the price comes in at and how some user reviews turn out with this model. I like what I have read so far on the Mit.6800, but the current Canadian price of $2,895 may have me looking at the last 2 models. I think the pricing will have to get a bit closer with a rebate on those models. I prefer the 2 yr+ warranty on PJ's. Can't wait to see what the shootout will be on these models. The next couple of months will make for interesting reading.
post #327 of 8513 Old 10-19-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Even the AE1000 does this at 96hz right? Not sure this much of a factor to that many people, but maybe?

John,

That's what I can't seem to figure out. If it plays back 24p material at 96hz without engaging the frame creation then I'm good to go, I just can't figure out if that's the case or not.

Dave,

There's always a Mack warranty (or other 3rd party warranty in Canada)

Russell
post #328 of 8513 Old 10-19-2009, 10:15 AM

I haven't heard of this Mack warranty (or other 3rd party warranty in Canada) Are this warranties backed by Panasonic?

I think I will do some checking.
post #329 of 8513 Old 10-19-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Dave,

The 3rd party warranties are not directly backed by Panasonic. However, the way they typically work is that the repair is done by an authorized Panasonic service center. They are typically very reasonable in price (couple hundred dollars) and are usually above and beyond your typical big box store extended warranty.
post #330 of 8513 Old 10-19-2009, 10:31 AM

Anyone heard any news about a ship date?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page