post #541 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 05:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

Bob,
I agree with you 99%! However, bulb warranties are still so cheap that ANYONE who plans on using their projector a lot should buy one! I don't know of a single bulb that costs less than the warranties currently offered, and most give you TWO replacements!
Best,
Chris

I usually do buy extended warranties on electronics in the 2k plus category. I had one on my first Samsung DLP TV and am thankful I did, since I did need some repairs during the extended period. Tough decision.

One thing to keep in mind is that at least right now, when you buy the PJ for $1,999.00 you can get the 2 year extended warranty for items under 2k (which is $159 at ProjectorPeople - for example). That is $70 cheaper than the 2 year extended warranty for an item priced from 2k to $2,500, and $60 cheaper than a three year warranty for an item under 2k.

(I have a sneaking suspicion that once this pre-order period is over, the price of this PJ will bump up to about $2,159 to $2,199 in most places, simply due to supply and demand for this PJ. B&H Photo & Video is already at that price range. So, basically, I see this pre-order period as carrying a sale on the extended warranties as well as the PJ itself)

Also, the extended warranty is transferable to a new owner for $10. So, should I decide to upgrade during the extended warranty period, the fact that it is in place and transferable should make it easier to sell at a decent price.

I'm going with the two year extended and, hopefully, won't need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 05:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 View Post

As long as you can keep light from spilling directly onto your screen (contrast killer) you should be good. This thing output over 500 lumens in calibrated best cinema mode so it can compete well with off-axis ambient light.

I have my HT setup in my LR as well. The kitchen is off to the side, glass sliding glass doors, etc. an my Epson 800 does well in the evening.

What about during the day? Is it usable?
post #543 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 06:12 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Whitefield View Post

Just my personal opinion, mind you, but I never get extended warranties. Why?
  • If something is going to go wrong with an electronic component, it will probably do so within the manufacturer warranty period.
  • I take very good care of my equipment, so it's even less likely something will go wrong than with the average consumer.
  • Companies make money on extended warranties. They're an insurance policy, after all, with a profit margin built in. I'm paying that profit margin, regardless of whether something goes wrong.
  • The money I save by not buying extended warranties stays in my pocket, because I self-insure. Yes, I might have to pay for a repair in the future, but across all the items I buy, I save a great deal of money.
Again, just my two cents.

I absolutely agree with this.

You pay a premium to insure anything. It only makes sense to insure something if its breaking will pose a financial hardship. That's why cars, homes, health, etc need to be insured.

I would say a toy around $2000 does not qualify. You should be saving as insurance.

Assuming you buy a fair amount of electronics, just put the money you'd spend on extended warranties in a high yield savings account - you'll be surprised how much cash accumulates.
post #544 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

If anybody in the Seattle area is getting one of these and wants to see it on some different screens or in different environments (I have Da-Lite High Power, Carada Cinema White, and original StudioTek 130 screens along with a mostly black velvet room and a mostly off-white walled setup) please let me know. I have the AE3000 now (although it is currently at the repair site), so could make for some interesting comparison too. Kind of a trade where I get to see the AE4000 and somebody else gets to see some different screens or how the projector would look if they made their room totally black kind of thing. I could help a little bit with setting things like Brightness and Contrast too.

--Darin

That's a very cool offer, Darin. If I were in the Seattle area, I'd take you up on that in a heartbeat. Have you done any comparisons between the AE3000 and other more expensive projectors? I've had very little opportunity to do direct A/B's between projectors in my area, but I'd love to, especially with someone as experienced as you alongside to make observations.

Joe Clark

post #545 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWowz View Post

I absolutely agree with this.

You pay a premium to insure anything. It only makes sense to insure something if its breaking will pose a financial hardship. That's why cars, homes, health, etc need to be insured.

I would say a toy around $2000 does not qualify. You should be saving as insurance.

Assuming you buy a fair amount of electronics, just put the money you'd spend on extended warranties in a high yield savings account - you'll be surprised how much cash accumulates.

A high..... yield..... savings account......
Hmmmm, they have such things?
post #546 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

Bob,
I agree with you 99%! However, bulb warranties are still so cheap that ANYONE who plans on using their projector a lot should buy one! I don't know of a single bulb that costs less than the warranties currently offered, and most give you TWO replacements!
Best,
Chris

Chris, a bulb warranty is a different matter. If it costs less than the street price of a single bulb, and you use your projector enough, I agree it would definitely make sense.

The extended warranties I've seen specifically exclude bulbs, though.
post #547 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post

Also, the extended warranty is transferable to a new owner for $10. So, should I decide to upgrade during the extended warranty period, the fact that it is in place and transferable should make it easier to sell at a decent price.

That's a good point, a transferable warranty could make sense if you plan to sell the projector in a year. I usually try to hang onto equipment as long as possible, though, so I'll stick to self-insuring.
post #548 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by par4 View Post

A high..... yield..... savings account......
Hmmmm, they have such things?

Yes! Some of the banks our tax dollars bailed out are offering teaser rates as high as one percent for new money market accounts
post #549 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the AE3000u shooting a 140" pic at 21' these projectors(3000/4000) are a lot better than you think.
post #550 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugDog View Post

yes, easily

How about a 140" 2:40.1 screen? Bat cave, projecting from 18 to 19' back. Will have some dimmed lights when we watch football, basketball games. I have used the calculators and should work, but I am concern it wont be bright enough.

Thanks

Reece
St Charles, Il
post #551 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAG View Post

Yes! Some of the banks our tax dollars bailed out are offering teaser rates as high as one percent for new money market accounts

You guys need new banks. I have a checking account with the local credit union that pays 4.01%

Regardless of that, stick the money from the warranties in the mattress and you'll still be better off in the long run.
post #552 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

I have the AE3000u shooting a 140" pic at 21' these projectors(3000/4000) are a lot better than you think.

Is that a 16:9 or a 2.35 screen? If it is 2.35 is the brightness still good when you zoom a 2.35 image in on it?

Also what mode do you run it in?
post #553 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 07:30 AM

A contact in the order fulfillment department of PP says their tracking shows the shipment arriving tomorrow. They hope to have all of the units shipped by end of business on Friday, which sets up customer deliveries for the middle of next week.
post #554 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 07:50 AM

Just checked VA's website and they show "ETA: Wed., Oct 28th!
All orders will be fulfilled from our 1st shipment" So looks like we will be getting them soon!
post #555 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 08:51 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamphear View Post

A contact in the order fulfillment department of PP says their tracking shows the shipment arriving tomorrow. They hope to have all of the units shipped by end of business on Friday, which sets up customer deliveries for the middle of next week.

I'm getting the same info from Visual Apex in Seattle. I'm puzzled about the above discussion regarding extended warranties. Everyone should be aware that Panasonic is offering a free extended warranty for two years (or 2000 hours). This does not include the bulb, however. To receive this, you must purchase the unit before the end of the year, from an authorized Panasonic dealer. Here's a link:
http://www.visualapex.com/ProductSup...000U_promo.pdf
post #556 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworder59 View Post

Im heading to Minneapolis (coming from Canada) on Black Friday. Anybody here from Minneapolis that can help me find a place or recommend a place to purchase this projector? Thanks in advance.

I don't know anyone local here in Minneapolis that carries the panasonic projectors. You can have one shipped to me and I will "hold" it for you Seriously, would be happy to help you out if needed. PM if you wish.
post #557 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone know of stores that have this projector to demo in California (Bay Area)?

Please PM me if you know of any places. Thanks

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #558 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 09:22 AM

Just spoke with VA to change my shipping option. Said they are planning to ship tomorrow and should have my projector by Friday. Vikings-Packers on the new projector this weekend is still a possibility. Love the anticipation of the wait, but ready for it to be over.
post #559 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchafb View Post

Just checked VA's website and they show "ETA: Wed., Oct 28th!
All orders will be fulfilled from our 1st shipment" So looks like we will be getting them soon!

I spoke with them again yesterday and upgraded my shipping since I realized they are quite far away from me, can't stand to wait for ground service. Foolish expense but my new theater room is ready to go, three years is too long without the big white screen. The new Onkyo just showed up too.

They will ship Thursday and possibly today, I forsee sudden illness/lack of office presence on Friday...
post #560 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 11:41 AM

Guys,

Clearly we can see that the Panasonic PJ's are building a very exciting product for users. I dont know if its your enthusiasm, but I am now also thinking in purchasing one of these.

I would like to ask you a question:

How reliable has the Panasonic Projectors been such as your AE900, 2000, or AE3000?

The reason I am asking is if I buy a PJ now, I really do not think I will be replacing it for at least 4 years.

How reliable has these units been for you?
1) How long you had it (bulb life)
2) Any major issues with LCD panels?
3) Quality of Support.

I am really considering the PAE4000 at this time, but am also interested in reliability.

Thanks

Dave
post #561 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post

Is that a 16:9 or a 2.35 screen? If it is 2.35 is the brightness still good when you zoom a 2.35 image in on it?

Also what mode do you run it in?

2.35 and its perfect. i watch movies with the lights at 15-25% on
post #562 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio2000 View Post

Guys,

Clearly we can see that the Panasonic PJ's are building a very exciting product for users. I dont know if its your enthusiasm, but I am now also thinking in purchasing one of these.

How reliable has the Panasonic Projectors been such as your AE900, 2000, or AE3000?

The reason I am asking is if I buy a PJ now, I really do not think I will be replacing it for at least 4 years.

3) Quality of Support.

I am really considering the PAE4000 at this time, but am also interested in reliability.

Thanks

Dave

I purchased the ae900 for $2500 in Dec 2005. It has 1750hrs. It still works flawlessly. No lcd issues at all. No experience with quality of support as i never needed. Overall I am very happy. Panasonic makes the best projectors for the price if you ask me.

Because of my awesome experience with the ae900, i am again going with a Panasonic. I am sure the ae4000 will last 4+ yrs also just like my ae900
post #563 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

I was wandering around on the Japanese Panasonic site and found an Engineering drawing for the mounting holes layout for anyone interested in making their own mount.

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...ae4000cad.html

EDIT: If you download the PDF, you will have a single sheet 8-1/2by 11 engineering drawing that is easy to print out.
post #564 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 12:13 PM

For those of us eagerly awaiting delivery of our pre-order units, has anyone started planning what movies they are going to play to showcase the new toy?

I'm trying to come up with a list epic scope films with great soundtracks.So far I have:Master and Commander, Gladiator, BraveHeart, 300 and so on, but these are all war/action movies. I'd like to add some kid/family friendly films to the list. Any suggestions? Feel free to keep adding action movies if you don't know of any kid/family friendly films anyway.

Thanks guys
updated suggestions:
The Fall (2006) - Bachiano
The Nightmare Before Christmas BR - fteixeira
Disney's Sleeping Beauty BR - fteixeira
WALL-E - fteixeira
Cars - fteixeira
Ratatouille - fteixeira
The Dark Night - AugDog

post #565 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The Fall (2006)
Best colors and musical sound track in years.
Absolutely beautiful ear and eye candy.

Oh -I almost forgot.
The Acting is incredible too.
post #566 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:

I'd like to add some kid/family friendly films to the list. Any suggestions? Feel free to keep adding action movies if you don't know of any kid/family friendly films anyway.

My recommendations:

A Nightmare Before Christmas BR: Unreal detail, 1.66:1 AR

Disney's Sleeping Beauty BR: Ultra clean image, beautiful animation, ~2.5 AR will show off ae4000's zoom capabilities

Also, Pixar movies such as WALL-E, Cars, Ratatouille will knock anyone out with the image quality.
post #567 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio2000 View Post

Guys,

3) Quality of Support.

Thanks

Dave

I bought a 700 in the fall of 2004 sold it 3 weeks ago with 1700 hours on the bulb. The young man and his entourage that came to buy it all said wow to a 5 year old projector. At the time when I bought the 700, I was prepared to spend up to $10K for a very nice 720 dlp (I could not stand the screen door effect which panasonic solved). I have seen a lot of setups at friends' houses and show rooms, and I have never once regretted my purchase or the money I saved.

I did seem to have a wierd issue where I could not get a picture and may have been handshake problem, but I can't remember for sure. I unplugged everything and turned all back on and it worked fine. Not a single other problem.

That brings me to today. I planned to upgrade to 1080P projector this year and can't say I even thought twice about going back to panasonic and was actually hoping to buy a new 3000 for $1750 or $2000. 4000 at $1999 is a bonus.

PS - First movie will be Dark Knight and then I suspect Wall-E, Cars and Sex in the City with my wife. We are looking forward to some of the new releases, particularly UP and Star Trek. Planet Earth will be a must as well. Truth be told, I want to watch my whole blu-ray catalog over again. Really great thing about new projectors. I remember wanting to do that same thing with my 700.
post #568 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 01:57 PM

Any Canadians out there who have preordered this from the US and are having it shipped? I am nowhere near the boarder! I'm wondering if this projector will even be a reasonable priced possibility.
post #569 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 02:01 PM

Anyone know where the IR receptor is on this projector?
post #570 of 8513 Old 10-28-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:

Anyone know where the IR receptor is on this projector?

On the front to the left of the lens

edit see pg 12 https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro...00E_Eng-OI.pdf
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page