Panasonic PT-AE4000 MSRP $1999 - Page 218 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #6511 of 8513 Old 02-06-2011, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks. I have the auto sensing switch as set to manual so that I chose which input to use with my remote. And I had the Oppo off when I first hooked it up. It just seems the pj doesn't like the signal for some reason, regardless of which input. I even used the input that I had the Oppo plugged into since that has been working flawlessly for Blu-Ray. The same thing happened. I have no issues with the component input from the cable box, so I guess I'll have to stick with that. I wanted to use the HDMI to a switcher so that I would have the option of using the same cable box for my flat screen as well, but the box disables the component output once you hook up a HDMI cable, so I can't use both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6512 of 8513 Old 02-06-2011, 10:16 AM

Liked: 10
Have you already purchased the HDMI switch? Been awhile since I bought mine but I am just wondering if any of them come with some type of signal booster. I know it is only a 12' cable and should work on anything, but I just cannot imagine it being anything else, but like you said, doesn't make sense really. I see an OPPO out there that gets some good reviews from guys that have had the same problem and the OPPO corrected the issue, but it appears to be dq'd. There are others, but hard not to trust OPPO since you already have their DVD player, as do I. Talk about getting ride of Blu Ray issues, I love it.

Another grabbing at straws thought, on the pj do you have signal set for "normal" and not "wide"? Doubt it makes a difference on whether or not the pj pics up signal, but I feel your frustrations.
post #6513 of 8513 Old 02-08-2011, 11:42 AM

Korkster,
I would try switching cable boxes. If your cable company has different brand boxes, you should check that out. Those HDCP handshakes are very idiosyncratic: what works on one box may not work on another despite adhering to the standards. On my Panasonic plasma, the Scientific Atlanta box had all kinds of problems but the Pioneer stb works smooth as glass.

HB

Bear's Lair Home Theater

Howie: "I think my screen may be TOO big."
Norm: "Screens are like breast implants..."
post #6514 of 8513 Old 02-09-2011, 01:07 PM

I just installed my new AE4000 and the picture is great, but there is a slight difference with the audio/video sync. The video is slightly behind the audio. I replaced an AE900 with the 4000 changing nothing else. The sync on the 900 was perfect. I am using DirecTV as my input to a Sony STR-DG720 receiver and HDMI to the projector. Any thoughts on what my problem could be?
post #6515 of 8513 Old 02-09-2011, 01:29 PM

Great question JCAnderson, I also have this issue with my PT-AE4000U projector. I'm also using DirecTV going thru a Denon AVR-2809CI. I only notice the problem when on SAT but when using Blu Ray the problem is not there. It would be great to figure out how to eliminate this issue!
post #6516 of 8513 Old 02-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAnderson View Post

I just installed my new AE4000 and the picture is great, but there is a slight difference with the audio/video sync. The video is slightly behind the audio. I replaced an AE900 with the 4000 changing nothing else. The sync on the 900 was perfect. I am using DirecTV as my input to a Sony STR-DG720 receiver and HDMI to the projector. Any thoughts on what my problem could be?

Welcome to the joys of lipsync. The AE4000 performs significant processing in some of its frame interpolation modes, which delays the video with respect to the audio.

Looking at the manual for the STR-DG720, looks like your sole remedy is to set the AV SYNC setting in the AUDIO menu to yes, which will delay the audio by 60ms.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...158STDG720.PDF

You can minimize the delay on the AE4000 by setting frame creation to mode 1 or off, although I find mode 1 essential to reducing judder, while the higher modes can be distracting. There's also a frame response option you can set to fast, but that's intended for games.

Try turning on receiver AV SYNC and setting the AE4000 to mode 1, see how that looks.
post #6517 of 8513 Old 02-09-2011, 01:46 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

I have an HVAC return in the ceiling at the center back of my HT. My 2 choices for ceiling mounting a projector are either just in front of the return or just behind it at the very back of the room. If I mount it behind is there a chance that the air pulling into the return would have an effect on the picture more that mounting it in front of the return? The projector will most likely be right at 2' down from the ceiling.

A return should not pose any problems.
post #6518 of 8513 Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 PM

I've been looking to pick up an AE4000 but budget has kept me out of the game for a while. A number of times I've come across a New BUT damaged AE4000 up for sale. The most recent is a new PJ but has damage to the rear vent area in which a 4x5 chunk of the plastic has broken off. Add says - "This item does have some damage .... The box is also damaged. I plugged the item up and it did power on and the bulb did work, however we have not tested all its functions." Similar to others I've seen. My guess is some sort of shipping damage and insurance is taking care of the replacement costs. Would this be something to consider for 1/4 of the new price, or not even worth thinking about even if it was $50? And more general, if you take any projector and oops drop it....is it toast?
post #6519 of 8513 Old 02-09-2011, 02:21 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbuzzzz View Post

I've been looking to pick up an AE4000 but budget has kept me out of the game for a while. A number of times I've come across a New BUT damaged AE4000 up for sale. The most recent is a new PJ but has damage to the rear vent area in which a 4x5 chunk of the plastic has broken off. Add says - "This item does have some damage .... The box is also damaged. I plugged the item up and it did power on and the bulb did work, however we have not tested all its functions." Similar to others I've seen. My guess is some sort of shipping damage and insurance is taking care of the replacement costs. Would this be something to consider for 1/4 of the new price, or not even worth thinking about even if it was $50? And more general, if you take any projector and oops drop it....is it toast?

I would not buy it and yes if you drop a projector it is toast.
post #6520 of 8513 Old 02-09-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Whitefield View Post

Welcome to the joys of lipsync. The AE4000 performs significant processing in some of its frame interpolation modes, which delays the video with respect to the audio.

Looking at the manual for the STR-DG720, looks like your sole remedy is to set the AV SYNC setting in the AUDIO menu to yes, which will delay the audio by 60ms.
You can minimize the delay on the AE4000 by setting frame creation to mode 1 or off, although I find mode 1 essential to reducing judder, while the higher modes can be distracting. There's also a frame response option you can set to fast, but that's intended for games.

Try turning on receiver AV SYNC and setting the AE4000 to mode 1, see how that looks.

Thanks Bob for the suggestions. I tried AV Sync to yes on the receiver and that didn't help. I had Frame Creation on the 4000 at Mode 1 and turned it off and that seems to have worked. I'll try other inputs, but I think you have solved my problem.
My wife was giving me a hard time about the 4000 being black and so much bigger than the 900, I didn't need a problem with the 4000.
I really wanted to keep the 4000 and my wife.
post #6521 of 8513 Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 PM

do panasonic projectors suffer the fate of dust blobs as frequent as Espons do ?
post #6522 of 8513 Old 02-09-2011, 10:01 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAnderson View Post

Thanks Bob for the suggestions. I tried AV Sync to yes on the receiver and that didn't help. I had Frame Creation on the 4000 at Mode 1 and turned it off and that seems to have worked. I'll try other inputs, but I think you have solved my problem.
My wife was giving me a hard time about the 4000 being black and so much bigger than the 900, I didn't need a problem with the 4000.
I really wanted to keep the 4000 and my wife.

I find the black makes it less conspicuous in my living room. Just likewith clothing, black makes it look slimmer! That's one of the reasons I chose the 4000 over the Epson 8350 (white)
post #6523 of 8513 Old 02-10-2011, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget-zilla View Post

do panasonic projectors suffer the fate of dust blobs as frequent as Espons do ?

Yes. But I have just cleaned mine using compressed air. Takes 30 mins. Really easy. All blobs gone. So now i feel confident that I can do it again if it becomes neccessary.
post #6524 of 8513 Old 02-10-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 View Post

Yes. But I have just cleaned mine using compressed air. Takes 30 mins. Really easy. All blobs gone. So now i feel confident that I can do it again if it becomes neccessary.

awesome !! thank you.
If perhaps, the next time you perform that cleaning, if you could post some pictures, that would be great. I'm always fearful of opening an electronic item. They are full of 'snap in' style cases and I end up breaking some
post #6525 of 8513 Old 02-15-2011, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

awesome !! thank you.
If perhaps, the next time you perform that cleaning, if you could post some pictures, that would be great. I'm always fearful of opening an electronic item. They are full of 'snap in' style cases and I end up breaking some

There is a tutorial posted here with an informative picture.
post #6526 of 8513 Old 02-15-2011, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I noticed on a couple movies that the panning from side to side is a little choppy. There are numerous things that could cause this, but I'll start with the projector. Is there anyway to make the panning smoother so it isn't as choppy?

Basically, the projector is out of the box with no settings changed. I did turn on cinema smoothing or whatever it is called, and that seemed to help a bit.
post #6527 of 8513 Old 02-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzirkelb View Post

I noticed on a couple movies that the panning from side to side is a little choppy. There are numerous things that could cause this, but I'll start with the projector. Is there anyway to make the panning smoother so it isn't as choppy?

Basically, the projector is out of the box with no settings changed. I did turn on cinema smoothing or whatever it is called, and that seemed to help a bit.

Not sure what cinema smoothing is, but in the PICTURE menu, you should set FRAME CREATION to MODE1, and see if that helps.

Make sure FRAME RESPONSE in the OPTIONS menu is set to NORMAL.

You can also assign FRAME CREATION to the FUNCTION BUTTON if desired, makes it easy to compare the modes. I leave mine on MODE1, the higher modes can be inconsistent in effect, which I find distracting.
post #6528 of 8513 Old 02-15-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Whitefield View Post

Not sure what cinema smoothing is, but in the PICTURE menu, you should set FRAME CREATION to MODE1, and see if that helps.

Make sure FRAME RESPONSE in the OPTIONS menu is set to NORMAL.

You can also assign FRAME CREATION to the FUNCTION BUTTON if desired, makes it easy to compare the modes. I leave mine on MODE1, the higher modes can be inconsistent in effect, which I find distracting.

awesome, I'll check the settins soon, thanks!
post #6529 of 8513 Old 02-15-2011, 06:37 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzirkelb View Post

I noticed on a couple movies that the panning from side to side is a little choppy.

As it was said, the Frames Creation option is what you need to smooth this out.

But it should be noted that the choppy pans are normal and can be seen in real theaters as well. Film is 24 images per second, so it will be choppy when presented the right way. I think it's part of the experience.

It's like the natural film grain : it's normal and intended IMHO!
post #6530 of 8513 Old 02-15-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deromax View Post

But it should be noted that the choppy pans are normal and can be seen in real theaters as well. Film is 24 images per second, so it will be choppy when presented the right way. I think it's part of the experience.

I 100% agree, I have a 120hz lcd tv that I upgraded to a pioneer krp500m because I didn't like the smoothness, seemed to soap opera-ee.

There was one movie wher eit was really bad. They did a complete 360 of their viewing area, not fast either, and i couldn't really tell at all what they were looking at because it was so bad. But, in the rest of the movie it was all normal, so maybe just a bad scene.
post #6531 of 8513 Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 PM

are there any words about a new model of panasonic projector coming out anytime in the near future - a replacement for the current AE4000U which was released in 2009 ?
post #6532 of 8513 Old 02-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

While choppy motion pans in movies is pretty normal I doubt anyone says "we want it this way" when they make the film. Its probably just too expensive to justify improvement.
post #6533 of 8513 Old 02-15-2011, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

are there any words about a new model of panasonic projector coming out anytime in the near future - a replacement for the current AE4000U which was released in 2009 ?

http://www.screenscribe.tv/home-thea...jector-due-3q/
post #6534 of 8513 Old 02-16-2011, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by deromax View Post

That is the way is was intended 50 years ago and no one has bothered to keep up with tech in the film industries it seems. No reason they can't be shooting digital at 120hz, oh well some day. It is like saying their is a hand crank in front of the car to start the engine and that is the way they are suppose to be, times change.

Personally I run my frame creation at 3 all the time and like it the best, I don't like choppy pans either.
post #6535 of 8513 Old 02-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder View Post
Personally I run my frame creation at 3 all the time and like it the best, I don't like choppy pans either.
I'm all for frame rates higher than 24fps, and tried very hard to like frame creation modes 2 and 3 on the AE4000.

But in those modes FC often calls attention to itself. When it works, it looks great, with smooth motion. But then the next scene will be too complex for the algorithm, and reverts to essentially what you see in mode 1. The constant switching is what I found distracting. At least in mode 1 everything looks the same.

Maybe the AE5000 will have improvements in this area, if it has faster hardware and/or better algorithms.
post #6536 of 8513 Old 02-16-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
My projector has developed a "Tannish / yellow" cloud in the bottom left portion of an image. It's only detectable with a white background. It seems to be growing and now takes up about 10% of the total image.

Any comments? I've done a search through the thread with no luck.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #6537 of 8513 Old 02-16-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
^ My guess: burnt polarizer. Most common cause is due to a power failure during operation which shuts down the cooling fans before they have time to cool the unit properly, which is why in normal operation shut down takes a minute or so and isn't instantaneous. Killing the power with the main toggle switch instead of the on/off push button or accidentally yanking the power cord would be two examples. Anyone operate the unit besides you?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #6538 of 8513 Old 02-16-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Zillch. I've been the only operator. Over the last year, we have had maybe two power outages that could have done this. Doesn't sound like there would be an easy or inexpensive fix? Will a new bulb resolve this? I assume not.

Do you think the "cloud" might continue to grow?

Thanks again for your insight.

Construction Thread
post #6539 of 8513 Old 02-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

My projector has developed a "Tannish / yellow" cloud in the bottom left portion of an image. It's only detectable with a white background. It seems to be growing and now takes up about 10% of the total image.

Any comments? I've done a search through the thread with no luck.

Is your projector hanging upside down?

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #6540 of 8513 Old 02-16-2011, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes it is.

Construction Thread
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version