post #8011 of 8513 Old 03-10-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbuster View Post

Thanks, I reviewed that thread and found it most interesting. I am strongly committed to IR for nearly everything, and just recently added a Global Cache WF2IR device so commands can be sent over the LAN via my iPad (or iPhone) and translated to IR. GC has another gizmo which will convert commands to serial format, and that would be easy to install...but it costs $88, too steep for just using it with the PJ. It could also control my BR player if desired, but not my AVP which is an older model.

This is about fine-tuning control, since 99% of the time I use only a single HDMI input on the PJ and switch inputs on the AVP. The only reason to shift the PJ input is to play legacy VHS tapes via S-video. The projector is 40 feet from the other components, but since the GC device works over the LAN it could be placed near the projector thereby avoiding any long cable runs (the HDMI cable was added long after the room was constructed when everything was component, and had to be run on the surface).

So I will likely keep things the way they are, but it's good to learn there is a solution.

It is still controlled by IR. The thread lists an IR to Serial controler to make it work. The best part of the entire thing is that you can call up lense memory with one button click, no searching through menus to get at them. If you don't use the zoom memory I guess that doesn't mater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 8513 Old 03-10-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbuster View Post

This is about fine-tuning control, since 99% of the time I use only a single HDMI input on the PJ and switch inputs on the AVP. The only reason to shift the PJ input is to play legacy VHS tapes via S-video.

Many AVP [I'm assuming that means a generic "audio video processor", not the Proceed brand unit "AVP", right?] will upconvert composite video and s-video to HDMI for you, through a higher quality internal scaler than built in to the 4000, often made by Anchor Bay or other companies, so you need not ever switch away from the projector's single HDMI input you are currently using. This is, indeed why many AVR/AVPs have upconversion, in fact.

Which AVP do you have?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #8013 of 8513 Old 03-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
How do you guys clean the air filter? Do you take apart the pieces and vacume each piece seperately.
post #8014 of 8513 Old 03-19-2012, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just pull out the filter, vacuum it from the back side first, then all sides and edges and then just put the filter back in.

Mike
post #8015 of 8513 Old 03-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post

I just pull out the filter, vacuum it from the back side first, then all sides and edges and then just put the filter back in.

Mike

Mike
I'm assuming that "the back" means the external face of the filter, because if you vacuums the filter from the internal side, the dust that's deposited on the external side would be forced to the internal side, and that it's not a good thing.
Also, use the vacuum cleaner at lower power.
post #8016 of 8513 Old 03-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I have always vacuumed ( Shop Vac) )both sides and all edges of the filter on my Panasonic 700 and now I do the same thing on my AE4000. I also blow the filter off with an air duster right before reinserting the filter back into the projector. So far (touch wood!) I have never had a dust blob with my Panny's in over 7 years of useage.
I think it also important to keep the HT room as dust free as possible.
post #8017 of 8513 Old 03-19-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing you definitly don't want to do is vaccuum the external side (exposed to the room) side of the filter while it is in place, attached to the pj. Doing so would suck in dangerously unfiltered air from the exhaust port end of the conduit, and also possibly dislodge any caked-on dust clumps that normally live downstream from the LCD panels and optics, then dragging this grime right into the part that is susceptible to contamination. OUCH!

Never reverse the direction of the air flow path for ANY REASON.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #8018 of 8513 Old 03-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

One thing you definitly don't want to do is vaccuum the external side (exposed to the room) side of the filter while it is in place, attached to the pj. Doing so would suck in dangerously unfiltered air from the exhaust port end of the conduit, and also possibly dislodge any caked-on dust clumps that normally live downstream from the LCD panels and optics, then dragging this grime right into the part that is susceptible to contamination. OUCH!

Never reverse the direction of the air flow path for ANY REASON.

I totally agree. Never vacuum with the filter in place on the projector.
post #8019 of 8513 Old 03-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by taffman View Post

i totally agree. Never vacuum with the filter in place on the projector.

+1!!!
post #8020 of 8513 Old 03-23-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 201
This Thread is just under 2000 views from crossing the 1 Mil. mark. The only close competitor is the Epson 8350 Owners thread, trailing by 100k views.
(...however this Panny 4K thread is a full 1 year older...)

Both these excellent PJs represent stupendous value. I myself have utilized both, and neither have ever elected a response of "Gee...what if I had chosen something else?" from any end user.

Certainly the lessor price and added Lumen output of the Epson has weighed heavily on it's popularity, but then again, the smooth IQ and the Len's Memory Feature of the Panny sets it apart from every other PJ out there.

Now that the Panny 4K's price point is dropping, it's getting a whole new look-see.

Just ruminating on how lucky we all are...that all.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #8021 of 8513 Old 03-23-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Where are you finding these online. Some posters a few pages back were unable to find any online anymore. I'm glad I got mine in late January.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #8022 of 8513 Old 03-23-2012, 08:33 PM

Liked: 147
I bought the second to the last one the Projector People had.
post #8023 of 8513 Old 03-24-2012, 07:36 AM

I got my rebate last night. Took a little under four weeks.
post #8024 of 8513 Old 03-25-2012, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Hi everyone!

I'm probably over 2500 hours now on my bulb and definitely time to buy another just in case.

Is there a "known" best place to get a replacement bulb?

Thanks!

Go Broncos!
post #8025 of 8513 Old 03-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I was very happy dealing with ProVantage.

Mike
post #8026 of 8513 Old 03-26-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post

This Thread is just under 2000 views from crossing the 1 Mil. mark. The only close competitor is the Epson 8350 Owners thread, trailing by 100k views.
(...however this Panny 4K thread is a full 1 year older...)

Both these excellent PJs represent stupendous value. I myself have utilized both, and neither have ever elected a response of "Gee...what if I had chosen something else?" from any end user.

Certainly the lessor price and added Lumen output of the Epson has weighed heavily on it's popularity, but then again, the smooth IQ and the Len's Memory Feature of the Panny sets it apart from every other PJ out there.

Now that the Panny 4K's price point is dropping, it's getting a whole new look-see.

Just ruminating on how lucky we all are...that all.

Price point dropping? They appear to be sold out everywhere accept places that are price gouging the few remaining on ones. I knew I shoulda bought that last one at projector people.
post #8027 of 8513 Old 03-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, the PP sale on the AE4000 was one heck of a deal, particularly with the extended warranty included. I got mine as soon as they announced the sale back in November, and I am so glad that I did. It is a wonderful projector, just loaded with useful features, best of which of course is the lens memory, which works flawlessly. But of course the bottom line is picture quality, and here the AE4000 is nothing less than stunning, with a gorgeous color spectrum, deep rich blacks, and a picture that is razor sharp from top to bottom and side to side. I swear if I hear anyone on this forum ridiculing Panasonics Smoothscreen again, I will not be able to contain my language. Listen all you self appointed experts, Smoothscreen does NOT defocus the picture or lose any picture resolution. All it does is give you a really film-like picture with none of the digital harshness of lesser projectors.
post #8028 of 8513 Old 03-26-2012, 05:12 PM

Everyone who has seen my projector has been wowed by the image. Many have asked me if it is a 3D projector which does not need glasses...the image is just that good.
post #8029 of 8513 Old 03-26-2012, 05:33 PM

Liked: 17
I love mine too, especially the lens memory although I had to set the A/V output of my amp to 1080 in order to get my Apple TV2 to display properly.
post #8030 of 8513 Old 03-26-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Everyone who has seen my projector has been wowed by the image. Many have asked me if it is a 3D projector which does not need glasses...the image is just that good.

Now you're just bragging.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #8031 of 8513 Old 03-27-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Bastards.

I'm glad you're enjoying your projectors, but do you really have to rub it in?

BTW, the only reason I didn't pull the trigger was because even the Projector People sales rep told me that the smooth screen technology DEFINITELY had an effect on overall sharpness. Not my words...his. Still, I should have ignored him.
post #8032 of 8513 Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post

Now you're just bragging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viche View Post

Bastards.

I'm glad you're enjoying your projectors, but do you really have to rub it in?

BTW, the only reason I didn't pull the trigger was because even the Projector People sales rep told me that the smooth screen technology DEFINITELY had an effect on overall sharpness. Not my words...his. Still, I should have ignored him.

Sorry! Well, not completely sorry.

There are a few times in life where you buy something and get more than you expected. This is one of those times. Since the 7000 is a better version of the 4000 (albeit at a higher price), I can highly recommend it.
post #8033 of 8513 Old 03-27-2012, 09:22 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

There are a few times in life where you buy something and get more than you expected. This is one of those times.

Couldn't agree more! I've had mine since January 2010 and could not be happier!
post #8034 of 8513 Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry! Well, not completely sorry.

There are a few times in life where you buy something and get more than you expected. ...

My AE4000 experience exactly.

Incidentally there is no evidence at all that smoothscreen softens the picture.
In fact Cine4home looked into this extensively and pooh pooed that notion , finding that the Panasonic HT projectors are every bit as sharp and detailed as any others. Its just that the Panasonic smoothscreen has a really film- like pixel-free image and does not exhibit the digital harshness of most other projectors. Smoothscreen does not work by defocussing the picture, its much more sophisticated than that. I am suprised that the rep at Projector People said otherwise. I decided long ago after my positive experience with the Panny AE700 that there was no way that my next projector would not have smoothscreen technology.
post #8035 of 8513 Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have not posted here in awhile because I been to busy watching movies and playing around with my 4000 but here are a few pics from Thor I wanted to share taken from my iphone 4. Oh and sorry about the screen size, when I moved to my new place I had to place the projector closer to the screen so not it does not fill up the whole screen when playing a movie. My projector is about 11' from the screen I guess the minimum is 12" for a 110" screen.

Rich
post #8036 of 8513 Old 03-27-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

There's no value to any forum members here when you post screen shots. It does not convey any useful information to anyone, so please don't. This isn't a jab at your cellphone; what I've written would be true even if you had a multi-thousand dollar camera and were a professional photographer.

Doing so is like holding your cellphone up to your new stereo in an attempt to allow your friend on the other end to hear how good it is. [As some other poster here once cleverly remarked.]

post #8037 of 8513 Old 03-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

There's no value to any forum members here when you post screen shots. It does not convey any useful information to anyone, so please don't. This isn't a jab at your cellphone; what I've written would be true even if you had a multi-thousand dollar camera and were a professional photographer.

Doing so is like holding your cellphone up to your new stereo in an attempt to allow your friend on the other end to hear how good it is. [As some other poster here once cleverly remarked.]

Oh well to late, I already did so and have done so in the past and will so again in the future unless a moderator tells me not to do so. Further, it does give a forum member useful information if they would like to see the PQ even if it is a cellphone camera. So go boss your children around, im not one of them, thank God. Thanks.

Rich
post #8038 of 8513 Old 03-27-2012, 06:22 PM

I agree about the pictures, but here is one which shows the black level of the projector very nicely. See if you can tell where the black of the projected image ends and where the black of my wall starts. My wall is painted Steelers Black (by Glidden - the official black color of the Steelers as licensed by the NFL)

I find it amazing. If you look REALLY close to the top you can faintly see a line...but it is not the line where the wall and projected image meet, it is a line where the wall ends and the soffit begins - a corner.
post #8039 of 8513 Old 03-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree about the pictures, but here is one which shows the black level of the projector very nicely. See if you can tell where the black of the projected image ends and where the black of my wall starts. My wall is painted Steelers Black (by Glidden - the official black color of the Steelers as licensed by the NFL)

I find it amazing. If you look REALLY close to the top you can faintly see a line...but it is not the line where the wall and projected image meet, it is a line where the wall ends and the soffit begins - a corner.

How are your black levels so black and on my 4000 I notice a big difference from my screen frame and the black level my 4000 produces as you can see in my pictures above?

Rich
post #8040 of 8513 Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverfaithful View Post

Oh well to late, I already did so and have done so in the past and will so again in the future unless a moderator tells me not to do so. Further, it does give a forum member useful information if they would like to see the PQ even if it is a cellphone camera. So go boss your children around, im not one of them, thank God.

Yes, I'm confident in defiance to me you will continue to post your low resolution, jpeg compressed, AWB, auto exposed, hand held, off axis, cellphone screen shots. It makes me chuckle each time you do so.

There's nothing I can do to stop you, true, just like there's nothing you can do to stop me from asking you to please stop wasting forum space and pointing out how worthless it is due to limitations of camera, lens, compression, forum resolution, scaling artifacts, dynamic range compression, "auto leveling", auto color correction/white balance, etc, etc...

[Thank goodness the vast majority of the 8,000 or so posters of this thread understand the folly in doing so and "get it", at least.]

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page