post #8491 of 8513 Old 04-04-2014, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by deromax View Post

What kind of measurement numbers are we talking about? "Huge" is not a precise qualifier imho.

2 1/2 times more lumens, measured with a light meter. (I never trust those "sure looked brighter" comments so I bought a light meter.)

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8492 of 8513 Old 04-06-2014, 03:47 PM
DHF

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I am on my third bulb. I got curious and bought a bulb from a Canadian outfit that claimed the bulb was exactly the same as what Panny uses. Well...in a word....it wasn't even close. My 2000 hour bulb was brighter. Bit the bullet and bought another genuine bulb.

FWIW, the cheap bulbs are in my experience nowhere near as bright as genuine Panny bulbs. As mentioned by others, a Panny bulb comes with a new filter.
post #8493 of 8513 Old 04-30-2014, 03:56 PM

Liked: 15
My replacement "Lamp Light just came on with the flashing Red on the Lamp hours screen. I ran and have run my lamp in Eco Mode since I started using it in 2010. I have 2585 hours on it. I have noticed the picture not as sharp and bright. My question is how many hours can I run it from this point? I know the manual said I could get 3000 in eco mode but surprising the lamp light came on at 2585 hours which is short of the 3000 hours they claim.
How many more hours can I get out of it? I was actually not looking at replacing it just yet. But I also dont want it dying on me or popping of any kind.
post #8494 of 8513 Old 04-30-2014, 04:09 PM

Where is everyone buying the replacement Original Lamp now adays. I see OEM ? from APEX and I know I have heard of
http://www.provantage.com/panasonic-et-lae4000~7PANP0H0.htm
http://www.apexlamps.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=ET-LAE4000&category_id=1&description=1&model=1&product_id=1546

Any great deals on any other sources let me know I'm in the market very soon for a replacement.
post #8495 of 8513 Old 04-30-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 100

If you read through the thread you'll see an almost universal agreement that this is one category in life you do NOT want to go cheap on and buy a "generic clone". ONLY buy a 100% genuine PANASONIC lamp and housing.

Provantage and B&H Photo Video are the only two companies I would trust. That Apex link you gave, for example, says, "with Generic Housing".  DANGER WILL ROBINSON! Stay away from anything that is not a 100% PANASONIC purchase. By doing so you will also get a new air filter, which is a good idea to replace at this point even if you think your regular cleanings of the existing one are "just as good".

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #8496 of 8513 Old 04-30-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

One sneaky outfit out there says, "We are the real deal. Instead of some cheapo, no name, off brand, we sell the real deal, Panasonic ETLAE4000 replacement bulb, made by Osram".

Did you all catch the trick? They aren't selling a Panasonic bulb, they are selling a replacement for the Panasonic bulb. I photographed the real thing and nowhere on it does it say any maker other than one: PANASONIC.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #8497 of 8513 Old 05-01-2014, 07:50 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

One sneaky outfit out there says, "We are the real deal. Instead of some cheapo, no name, off brand, we sell the real deal, Panasonic ETLAE4000 replacement bulb, made by Osram".

Did you all catch the trick? They aren't selling a Panasonic bulb, they are selling a replacement for the Panasonic bulb. I photographed the real thing and nowhere on it does it say any maker other than one: PANASONIC.

I doubt that Panasonic would have manufactured their own bulb, and they were probably manufactured by a third part that does that as part of their business to Panasonic specifications and name on it.. This is normal thing done by many manufacturers I don't know if that would have been Osram in this case though. Osram is not some cheap bulb manufacturer but rather one of the largest producers of lighting products in the world. Its now a seperate public company out of Germany after being spun off from Siemens a year ago.

That being said I'm about to orger one of the genuine Panasonic bulbs after trying one of those off Amazon, figuring I had little to loose given the cost difference from . That one works fine, looks to have good build quality unlike some I've read about, but is just not bright enough
post #8498 of 8513 Old 05-01-2014, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman95 View Post

That being said I'm about to orger one of the genuine Panasonic bulbs after trying one of those off Amazon, figuring I had little to loose given the cost difference from . That one works fine, looks to have good build quality unlike some I've read about, but is just not bright enough

It works "fine", except for the brightness, so you are now buying another "genuine Panasonic bulb", yet you said earlier you

Quote:
 doubt that Panasonic would have manufactured their own bulb

I'd say what you've "lost" is the money spent on that first bulb, which is dim.

post #8499 of 8513 Old 05-04-2014, 08:06 PM
DHF

Liked: 18
I don't know how many different ways there are to warn people. Zillch and I don't agree on much - but we agree on this. You are going to spend about $300 for a new genuine Panasonic bulb. You can waste 50-150 on a crap bulb that is not bright.
AFAIK, to answer the question above, old bulbs don't "blow up" - like old Army Generals - they just fade away....
post #8500 of 8513 Old 05-04-2014, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I once ran a bulb way, way past its expected/recommended range, intentionally running my unit into the ground, and it did literally explode. *POP* There is an extra glass barrier in front of the lamp to help protect the shrapnel from damaging the LCD panels, polarizers, etc. but it is only a basic form of protection. There's also the issue of the tiny bits of glass, coatings, burnt filament, etc. then acting like dust particles in the internal air stream and causing dust blobs, etc, but I don't know if mine suffered from this fate because I never did buy a new bulb, I simply bought a new pj since technology had advanced at that point.

The pj was a 540p resolution unit from Panny. That may seem like an odd resolution but it was clever in that it was exactly half of 1080p so the internal scaler was a very simple "divide by 2" affair. True 1080p pj's were 10-20K at the time I bought it but then had become affordable when I bought the replacement.

post #8501 of 8513 Old 05-04-2014, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

p8 of our manual:

"Do not use the old lamp unit.

If used, it could cause lamp explosion.

If the lamp has broken, ventilate the room

immediately. Do not touch or bring your face

close to the broken pieces.

Failure to observe this will cause the user to absorb

the gas which was released when the lamp broke and

which contains nearly the same amount of mercury as

fluorescent lamps, and the broken pieces will cause

injury.

If you believe that you have absorbed the gas or that the

gas has got into your eyes or mouth, seek medical advice

immediately.

Ask your dealer about replacing the lamp unit and check

the inside of the projector."

post #8502 of 8513 Old 05-05-2014, 06:37 AM

At my job, an older NEC projector once had a bulb explosion, out of nowhere. The explosion made the first glass element in front of the bulb to shatter, and this sent crushed glass pieces and dust everywhere inside the unit. Luckily, appart from a good cleanup and the glass element replacement, the projector survived and is still working to this day, 16 years after being put into service!

I was told the explosion freaked the hell out of the people that were using the thing when it happened!

IMHO, a front projection setup is part of a top tier home theater setup. It is deserving the right bulb, do not skimp on quality! The right filter must come with a replacement filter, ask for it!
post #8503 of 8513 Old 05-06-2014, 04:21 PM

What are your thoughts on buying an opening box item from Provantage? Anyone have success at this? Its $30.00 less than there standard.

Get Extra Savings When You Buy an Open Box!
Replacement Lamp Filter **OPEN BOX**
ET-LAE4000. This brand new product was returned by a customer and found to be in complete working order with all parts and information.
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed on all open box products. PANP1FA

Quote:

p8 of our manual:

injury.
immediately.
post #8504 of 8513 Old 05-06-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandaniella View Post

What are your thoughts on buying an opening box item from Provantage? Anyone have success at this? Its $30.00 less than there standard.

Get Extra Savings When You Buy an Open Box!
Replacement Lamp Filter **OPEN BOX**
ET-LAE4000. This brand new product was returned by a customer and found to be in complete working order with all parts and information.
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed on all open box products. PANP1FA

A 10% discount and you don't know how many hours the bulb has on it? I would pass. If it was a 50-60% discount, I might consider, but would still be leery. Why was it returned?

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #8505 of 8513 Old 05-06-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I generally avoid buying pjs and specifically lamps, used.

post #8506 of 8513 Old 05-20-2014, 03:11 PM

Replacement Lamp came on a few weeks ago at about 2580 hrs. I changed it over to the vivid setting ( They call it something else) to give me a little more pop on brightness and I also changed it to normal mode in lieu of eco-mode that I have been running it the last 4-1/2 years.
My question is how many more hours will it last?? The color is still great and fairly bright lumens still.

I know as soon as I pop a new bulb in there I will be telling myself why did I wait so long.
post #8507 of 8513 Old 05-20-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandaniella View Post

Replacement Lamp came on a few weeks ago at about 2580 hrs. I changed it over to the vivid setting ( They call it something else) to give me a little more pop on brightness and I also changed it to normal mode in lieu of eco-mode that I have been running it the last 4-1/2 years.
My question is how many more hours will it last?? The color is still great and fairly bright lumens still.

I know as soon as I pop a new bulb in there I will be telling myself why did I wait so long.

"Sooner or later all UHP lamps will fail and such failures can generally fall into one of three cases:

Case 1. Slow graceful aging where the lamp’s brightness drops to 50% of its original light output at approximately the manufacturer’s rated lamp life (or even longer). In this case it usually just becomes the projector owner’s decision as to when the projected image has become too dim and it is time to replace the lamp.

Case 2. Gradual dimming followed by a very rapid dimming. This failure mode frequently occurs after several hundreds (or more) hours of gradually dimming of the lamp (as typical for case 1 above). In this case this can be one mode for a premature lamp failure which is typically cased by a defective lamp. However, if this were to occur after a few thousand hours of normal bulb dimming it would not necessarily indicate an abnormal failure of the lamp. In either case, this failure mode is characterized by the lamp going from having a nominal light output then all at once the lamp very quickly dimming by 50% to 90% over just a few hours, to a few tens of hours of use.

Case 3. This failure mode is a catastrophic failure where in the worst case the UHP bulb itself explodes. If you are lucky the lamp will simply fail to start or if the bulb does explode the best case is where the shattered pieces of glass are contained by the lamp housing. If the worst really happens with a bulb explosion, you will be cleaning pieces of glass out of the projector before inserting the new lamp assembly. Luckily, this is probably least common failure mode, but it certainly still happens all too frequently."

- See more at: http://www.projectorreviews.com/technical_blog/the-life-of-a-projectors-lamp/

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #8508 of 8513 Old 05-21-2014, 12:32 AM

Replace it now. You purchased an awesome project, enjoy it, why try to squeeze a few more hours out of an old bulb that has gone dim. Put in a new bulb and be able to enjoy what you purchased with a brighter picture. And as stated above older lamps get weak and there is a chance they could explode. And you are correct, as soon as you pop a new bulb in you will ask yourself why you waited so long smile.gif. Worth the investment, pull the trigger.
post #8509 of 8513 Old 05-21-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

"Sooner or later all UHP lamps will fail and such failures can generally fall into one of three cases:

Case 1. Slow graceful aging where the lamp’s brightness drops to 50% of its original light output at approximately the manufacturer’s rated lamp life (or even longer). In this case it usually just becomes the projector owner’s decision as to when the projected image has become too dim and it is time to replace the lamp.

Case 2. Gradual dimming followed by a very rapid dimming. This failure mode frequently occurs after several hundreds (or more) hours of gradually dimming of the lamp (as typical for case 1 above). In this case this can be one mode for a premature lamp failure which is typically cased by a defective lamp. However, if this were to occur after a few thousand hours of normal bulb dimming it would not necessarily indicate an abnormal failure of the lamp. In either case, this failure mode is characterized by the lamp going from having a nominal light output then all at once the lamp very quickly dimming by 50% to 90% over just a few hours, to a few tens of hours of use.

Case 3. This failure mode is a catastrophic failure where in the worst case the UHP bulb itself explodes. If you are lucky the lamp will simply fail to start or if the bulb does explode the best case is where the shattered pieces of glass are contained by the lamp housing. If the worst really happens with a bulb explosion, you will be cleaning pieces of glass out of the projector before inserting the new lamp assembly. Luckily, this is probably least common failure mode, but it certainly still happens all too frequently."

- See more at: http://www.projectorreviews.com/technical_blog/the-life-of-a-projectors-lamp/

Nice right up Mr. G
post #8510 of 8513 Old 05-21-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wruss64 View Post

Replace it now. You purchased an awesome project, enjoy it, why try to squeeze a few more hours out of an old bulb that has gone dim. Put in a new bulb and be able to enjoy what you purchased with a brighter picture. And as stated above older lamps get weak and there is a chance they could explode. And you are correct, as soon as you pop a new bulb in you will ask yourself why you waited so long smile.gif. Worth the investment, pull the trigger.

Much agreed for sure. Now I hope the next bulb gets me by another 4 years just in time for the 4K projectors to come down in price so I can pick one of them up in the 2K-2.5K range.
Or I could always pick up the hottest Panasonic or Epson at that time.
post #8511 of 8513 Old 05-23-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

p8 of our manual:

injury.
immediately.

eek.gif Oooo I didn't realize these were mercury base bulbs. I have a policy to never mess with mercury based anything. I won't use CFLs anywhere that there is even a remote chance of them breaking. Mercury is the most dangerous non-radioactive element on earth. There are different forms of mercury of course, but the type used in bulbs isn't good for us. Cleanup procedures are pretty specific and the vast majority of people don't follow them. I don't care that it's a tiny amount of mercury in there. I'd change that bulb as soon as I hit the manufacturer's rated life or as soon as I noticed significant dimming, and I would make absolutely sure that it's a legit, non-used bulb. Just my 2 cents.
post #8512 of 8513 Old 05-27-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought you'd all be wondering about bulbs by now. I'm at just over 5000 hours on mine in Eco mode. Yea it's dim, running it on normal mode now I will be getting a new bulb in about 10 days. It lasted me 4 yrs now I think but yea I know I've been pushing my luck. I just came looking in hopes cheap one came around, but I will buy only original bulb from either provantage or projector people matching their price.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #8513 of 8513 Old 06-15-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post
I thought you'd all be wondering about bulbs by now. I'm at just over 5000 hours on mine in Eco mode. Yea it's dim, running it on normal mode now I will be getting a new bulb in about 10 days. It lasted me 4 yrs now I think but yea I know I've been pushing my luck. I just came looking in hopes cheap one came around, but I will buy only original bulb from either provantage or projector people matching their price.
That's a lot of hours in ECO. Mine has been running in ECO mode for about 2 1/2 years now. I think I have about 1700 hours on it. If I have your luck, I'll be able to go about 7 years before needing a new one

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page