Panasonic PT-AE4000 MSRP $1999 - Page 288 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 22Likes
post #8611 of 8624 Unread 01-24-2016, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Cool upside-down room! Do you vacuum clean the filter regularly?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8612 of 8624 Unread 01-24-2016, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Cool upside-down room! Do you vacuum clean the filter regularly?

Haha, thanks. No clue why it did that.

Fairly regularly. I just did it last week and the issue reared its head tonight.
post #8613 of 8624 Unread 01-24-2016, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I know it's easy think of the only air port you need to worry about is the exhaust, but in truth the intake is also important and it looks like you have yours right next to the wall. Panasonic makes a specific point to mention NOT to do this:
"
"Do not cover the air exhaust/intake ports or place anything within 50 cm (19 5/8") of them."
http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/...anual_5240.pdf

Your picture looks like the rear wall is much closer than 19 5/8" (50cm).
Maybe it isn't a problem when the filter is brand new but as they age they got partly clogged and even a thorough vacuuming won't perfectly unclog them. the reduced airflow means they trigger the over heat sensors more easily

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-25-2016 at 12:01 AM.
post #8614 of 8624 Unread 01-25-2016, 06:34 AM

That could be the issue. Not sure how I can move it out. Do you think a fan brining air in from the side would help?
post #8615 of 8624 Unread 01-25-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if fans would help. How about ceiling mounting it?
Interestingly on their later designs, such as the PTAE8000, the air intake vent was moved to one of the sides instead of the back. I wonder if it was to prevent the very issue you are facing? As a temporary experiment you could move it out and perch it on a step ladder to verify that the problem I suspect is indeed the issue before you invest in a ceiling mount or an extension to your existing shelf. Good luck.

post #8616 of 8624 Unread 01-25-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I don't know if fans would help. How about ceiling mounting it?
Interestingly on their later designs, such as the PTAE8000, the air intake vent was moved to one of the sides instead of the back. I wonder if it was to prevent the very issue you are facing? As a temporary experiment you could move it out and perch it on a step ladder to verify that the problem I suspect is indeed the issue before you invest in a ceiling mount or an extension to your existing shelf. Good luck.

I'll give that a shot. Also just found out about the menu I can use to monitor temps. Hopefully just getting some fresh air kicking around up there will be helpful. It's right under the air duct for a large portion of the house. I'm wondering if being up there, with a ceiling that probably also gives off heat is just chocking it. I'll have to try some different things. I will say when this happens the exhaust portion of the projector is very warm.
post #8617 of 8624 Unread 01-25-2016, 08:07 PM

I just found the self check menu. This is after running for a while. Temps seem to stay stable. I moved the projector out from the wall about an inch. Anything abnormal in here?
post #8618 of 8624 Unread 01-25-2016, 08:43 PM

Panasonic PT-AE4000 MSRP $1999

It just happened again. Self check showed a red OK by on lamp fan after I started back up.

It seems my lamp fan is having issues. If I go into high altitude mode and then turn it back to normal the projector shuts down. Self check shows red on the lamp fan. Does anyone know the specs of the fan so I can order a replacement before taking the thing apart.

It seems to be running well as long as I leave it in high altitude mode.

Last edited by rick98761; 01-25-2016 at 09:09 PM.
post #8619 of 8624 Unread 01-26-2016, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I don't have any insight for your shutting down issue, but it does sound like you are on the right track with the fan operation possibly being the cause.

FWIW, I checked mine last night and this is what I show after about 3-1/2 hours of run time. My unit is ceiling mounted, and hangs about 8" down and the nearest wall is about 6 feet to the right as you face the screen. I just replaced the bulb and filter a few weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2482.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1211938  
post #8620 of 8624 Unread 01-26-2016, 10:49 AM

Thanks. It looks like my temps are fine. It's just that fan giving me trouble. I found if I run in high altitude mode it's runs fine. Fan must just stop for some reason when it isn't getting the juice to go full speed. I can live with high altitude for now I guess, just a bit louder. I need to figure out what kind of fan I need.
post #8621 of 8624 Unread 01-26-2016, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The thing is it's difficult to know the temperature right when the unit shuts down because you have to wait to reboot everything and by that time the cool down and start up cycles have corrected the issue, but I thought of a way around this.

Don't photograph the temps but instead video them and just leave the pj on in low altitude mode until it shuts down by itself due to, we think, overheating. Then play back the video and it will show exactly what's happening at that shut down moment.

The temps, by the way, aren't traditional F or C scales, as I understand it, but instead are some binary code, perhaps a value of 0 to 256 (for example) and which direction is hotter is something you'd have to test out. [The value when having been on for only 1 second should help determine which direction the 0-256 (I think) scale is going. IIRC the service manual explains it. ]

post #8622 of 8624 Unread 01-26-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
The thing is it's difficult to know the temperature right when the unit shuts down because you have to wait to reboot everything and by that time the cool down and start up cycles have corrected the issue, but I thought of a way around this.

Don't photograph the temps but instead video them and just leave the pj on in low altitude mode until it shuts down by itself due to, we think, overheating. Then play back the video and it will show exactly what's happening at that shut down moment.

The temps, by the way, aren't traditional F or C scales, as I understand it, but instead are some binary code, perhaps a value of 0 to 256 (for example) and which direction is hotter is something you'd have to test out. [The value when having been on for only 1 second should help determine which direction the 0-256 (I think) scale is going. IIRC the service manual explains it. ]

I left the projector running for over 2 hours and the readings hardly changed. They also match what I'm seeing as fairly normal. I'm fairly confident it is the fan at this point. The bulb fan is always the red OK after a shut down. It seems it is having a difficult time getting going. High altitude seems to work, but I can still tell that fan is running rather slow compared to others.
post #8623 of 8624 Unread Today, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick98761 View Post
I've had kind of an odd issue with mine recently. After several hours to usage the bulb will shut off. The light on top of the unit will blink yellow for about 30 seconds. The fans kick into high for about 3 seconds. Then the projector starts back up. I feel like it has good ventilation. Both sides are open. It sits on a wire grid shelf. And has about 2 inches of clearance above it. Any ideas what might be causing this? I'm still using the original bulb, but it only has about 1,300 hours on it. Mostly in Eco mode.

I attached a photo of where it is installed.
I think it is because you are sitting on the ceiling

Do you have any heat/AC vents blowing air directly on it?

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #8624 of 8624 Unread Today, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick98761 View Post
Thanks. It looks like my temps are fine. It's just that fan giving me trouble. I found if I run in high altitude mode it's runs fine. Fan must just stop for some reason when it isn't getting the juice to go full speed. I can live with high altitude for now I guess, just a bit louder. I need to figure out what kind of fan I need.
My brother's DLP did the same thing, would cut off in normal mode, run fine in high altitude mode. He replaced the bulb and the issue went away.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP