1Likes

post #1831 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by widerscreen View Post

I will ask again. does anyone have the 4000 with a anamorphic lens attached?

I thought one of the features of the 4000 is that an anamorphic lens isn't needed.

I do not have a 4000 or anamorphic lens at this time. I will get the 4000 so I don't have to get the lens. Perhaps the CIH forum is a better place to ask? I think most people here are avoiding having to have a seperate lens by going with the 4000.

An earlier question about if you would like the 4000 over the 3000.
Would I like Paradigm better than Klipsch?

Character is who you are when no one is looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Working on it...haven't had the time to decide if it's "better, worse or the same" than not using it.

Steve
post #1833 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nick View Post

Greetings Learned Forum:

Just got my HT hooked up three days ago, and so far, only one issue, but it is a bugger. While watching a movie, looking at a frozen frame, or even just showing the player's start up logo, there is an intermittent flicker/flash/distortion that appears on the screen. I happens very quickly, for only a split second, so it is hard to describe. As best as I can tell, it is a horizontal line that fills the width of my screen. It varies in its thickness. Sometimes it takes up 1/3 of the screen. But it seems to always go the entire width of the screen. As best as I can tell, it is white. It is definitely easier to discern during dark scenes. A couple of times, there was no picture at all for a split second. During those times, rather than being white, it was completely dark. The audio is not affected at all.

Here is my set-up: Panasonic BD60 > Marantz SR6003 > Panasonic AE4000U.

I have done the basic "check all your connections." They all seem tight and secure. I am not sure how to trouble shoot from here. Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Nick

Nick,
I had the same thing happen to me while my wife had friends over to watch a movie a couple nights ago. It was the first time we had people over to see the new setup. We were watching a SD DVD being played on a PS3 through an Onkyo 605 receiver. At one point in the film the screen flashed exactly as you described, off and on, for a couple minutes. I, too, checked all my connections and everything was fine. What we saw was that the horizontal band looked like static "snow" that you see when you tune to a channel with no content. I have about 35+ hours on my Panny. Last night I watched about half of Pirates of the Caribbean and all of The New World (both on Blu Ray), and it didn't happen at all. I'm really concerned I have a defective unit, especially now that I know I'm not the only one experiencing this.

post #1834 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 11:41 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmo View Post

Nick,
I had the same thing happen to me while my wife had friends over to watch a movie a couple nights ago. It was the first time we had people over to see the new setup. We were watching a SD DVD being played on a PS3 through an Onkyo 605 receiver. At one point in the film the screen flashed exactly as you described, off and on, for a couple minutes. I, too, checked all my connections and everything was fine. What we saw was that the horizontal band looked like static "snow" that you see when you tune to a channel with no content. I have about 35+ hours on my Panny. Last night I watched about half of Pirates of the Caribbean and all of The New World (both on Blu Ray), and it didn't happen at all. I'm really concerned I have a defective unit, especially now that I know I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Hey NickMo:

Thanks for the response. As for "defective unit", which one??? I like IndianaGeorge's idea of bypassing our receivers and going straight to the projector to see if it is the receiver. As it never flickers when I have up my blue screen on the pj with nothing being inputted, I am wondering if this clears the pj from blame? Anyone else out there, or are we the only two?

Nick
post #1835 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziptiecowboy View Post

I made the same AE700 to AE4000 upgrade. It’s certainly not an “OMG this is amazing” change from the AE700. No doubt the AE4000 is an improvement, but it’s not a visual revelation.

Yes, the facts are simple.

Despite the extreme protests to the contrary, the newer projectors are just incremental upgrades with ordinary folks unable to see much real difference.

Upgrade only if you need too because tomorrow things will be cheaper, faster, and better and the reward for upgrading is marginal.

Unfortunately, the Emperor has no clothes.
post #1836 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Hey NickMo:

Thanks for the response. As for "defective unit", which one??? I like IndianaGeorge's idea of bypassing our receivers and going straight to the projector to see if it is the receiver. As it never flickers when I have up my blue screen on the pj with nothing being inputted, I am wondering if this clears the pj from blame? Anyone else out there, or are we the only two?

Nick

Not that i have had this problem but that sounds like a place to start find out at least what might or might not be causing the problem and if it is the receiver then you could get an HDMI splitter, i have one and love it works great.
post #1837 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Hey NickMo:

Nick

I had a similar problem using a "high quality" HDMI switcher and ~45" cable run. Not an issue with HD TV or DVD but flicker with BD (Denon 3800). Put a "home-run" HDMI from 3800 to PJ and flicker is gone.

Steve
post #1838 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:

Hey NickMo:

Nick

Here is my complete video chain:
PS3->3' HDMI cable->Onkyo 605->25' certified Monoprice HDMI cable->Monoprice HDMI Extender->15' certified Monoprice HDMI cable->Projector HDMI in 1.

The projector is the only thing we have in common, and both of our projectors are doing the same thing. The Onkyo 605 and Marantz 6003 are popular, established receivers.
I've used this 605 with a 900U, a Samsung HDTV and a computer monitor and never had anything like this happen with those displays. The computer monitor was even using the exact same cables I'm using with the 4000.
The odds are slight at best that it's the receiver. Particularly since the projector is the only new variable in my system.
As far as troubleshooting goes, I don't think the blue screen is processed as an incoming signal by the projector, and if that's where the problem is you would never see it in the menus/boot screen.
I will try using the other HDMI inputs on the PJ as well as other HDMI cables I have. Guess I know what I''m doing for the rest of the day.
What troubles me is how intermittent the problem is. 45 minutes into one movie, the problem is severe. The next night I watch Blu Rays for four+ hours continuously, and it doesn't happen at all. Repair depots are notorious for not repairing problems they can't duplicate.
If I see it again I'm going to send mine back to Panasonic and ask for a replacement, not a repair.

post #1839 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorca View Post

Just wanted to update everyone on the status of my repair.

Called Heartland Services today (Panasonic's repair depot in Kansas City for their laptops and projectors) and they said that after receiving it thursday, they diagnosed the issue as a "Power Fan Failure" (at least that's what she told me on the phone) and that they had replaced the fan and made sure the firmware was up to date, and that they'd shipped it.

I'll be receiving it tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes.

Got the exact same shutdown issue. The thing is I bought it from VisualApex, and took it home with me to israel w/o trying it first..... I'll be *gratefull* to know whether I can fix it over here, instead of shipping it back to the states.
post #1840 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501transpo View Post

Working on it...haven't had the time to decide if it's "better, worse or the same" than not using it.

Steve

I will get my 4000 Monday and I found a anamorphic panamorph lens at a good price. I will know how will it works and the upside with using the lens. I took the used Panamorph UH380 apart and cleanded it as it had lots of dust and little shaving fro the screws. Now the lens looks brand new. I played with it with my ae3000 and I saw a little difference in resolution but not a big jump with brightness as advertised.
post #1841 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:

I will get my 4000 Monday and I found a anamorphic panamorph lens at a good price. I will know how will it works and the upside with using the lens. I took the used Panamorph UH380 apart and cleanded it as it had lots of dust and little shaving fro the screws. Now the lens looks brand new. I played with it with my ae3000 and I saw a little difference in resolution but not a big jump with brightness as advertised.

I bought a panamorph about six years ago and used it with a NEC HT1000...made an obvious difference. Haven't used it for a few years and like you, took it apart to clean out the dust and metal shavings from the screws. In a quick test with the AE-4000 I didn't see an obvious difference but haven't had the time to evaluate carefully.

Steve
post #1842 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:

Here is my complete video chain:
PS3->3' HDMI cable->Onkyo 605->25' certified Monoprice HDMI cable->Monoprice HDMI Extender->15' certified Monoprice HDMI cable->Projector HDMI in 1.

The projector is the only thing we have in common, and both of our projectors are doing the same thing. The Onkyo 605 and Marantz 6003 are popular, established receivers.
I've used this 605 with a 900U, a Samsung HDTV and a computer monitor and never had anything like this happen with those displays. The computer monitor was even using the exact same cables I'm using with the 4000.
The odds are slight at best that it's the receiver. Particularly since the projector is the only new variable in my system.
As far as troubleshooting goes, I don't think the blue screen is processed as an incoming signal by the projector, and if that's where the problem is you would never see it in the menus/boot screen.
I will try using the other HDMI inputs on the PJ as well as other HDMI cables I have. Guess I know what I''m doing for the rest of the day.
What troubles me is how intermittent the problem is. 45 minutes into one movie, the problem is severe. The next night I watch Blu Rays for four+ hours continuously, and it doesn't happen at all. Repair depots are notorious for not repairing problems they can't duplicate.
If I see it again I'm going to send mine back to Panasonic and ask for a replacement, not a repair.

I may have missed it but have you hooked up the BD player directly to the PJ with a relatively short HDMI cable?? I thought that I had a bad PJ or BD player because the "sparkles" and screen flashes were intermittent but problem was solved (I hope) with a direct HDMI connection.

Steve
post #1843 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 02:38 PM

Hi all

I have ordered the AE4000 and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. This is my first projector and am planning a DIY screen. I would just like some verification on a couple of things before I make a big mistake.

I want to have a constant height set-up using the lens memory feature of the projector, so I should build my screen 2.35:1 and then mask the sides when I watch 16:9 material.

I will also be ceiling mounting the projector and have read that the lens has to be within the screen area. Will the lens memory feature work if the lens is in line with the top of the screen?

Thanks

Eric
post #1844 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Steve

There will be some functions that wont work with using an anamorphic lens, one being auto sensing for 16x9 and 2.35 material, you will have to just us the remote.
post #1845 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian eh View Post

Hi all

I have ordered the AE4000 and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. This is my first projector and am planning a DIY screen. I would just like some verification on a couple of things before I make a big mistake.

I want to have a constant height set-up using the lens memory feature of the projector, so I should build my screen 2.35:1 and then mask the sides when I watch 16:9 material.

I will also be ceiling mounting the projector and have read that the lens has to be within the screen area. Will the lens memory feature work if the lens is in line with the top of the screen?

Thanks

Eric

Should work fine.
post #1846 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

Should work fine.

Thanks.
post #1847 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I see a worthy difference with my setup and at this present time would not have it any other way. My only issue which is no big thing is I have to do VS with the projector instead of the scaler, but that's no big thing becasue I use the lens at all times with all AR. I too can't use the auto adjust but after some tweaking who knows what I'll figure out to resolve that issue. The below is my setup.

Samsung UP5000 24fps > Onkyo SR605 > DVDO VP50 scaler > Panny 4K > isco IIIL Lens > Stewart Videomatte 200 8' wide scope screen @ 17' (Lens to Screen)

tony4k
post #1848 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian eh View Post

Hi all

Thanks

Eric

Eric, I have a 2.37 aspect DIY screen, and although masking of 16:9 material might be nice, I don't feel the need to do so. The reason is no light from the projector lens hits the areas outside the 16:9 image, so it's quite dark. Not as dark as the velvet border at the top and bottom, but I only notice the lack of borders on the sides if I'm looking for it.

By the way, if you're looking for screen material, I've been very pleased with the fiberglass material I bought on eBay from seller "217007". It's professional screen material, vastly superior to blackout cloth, washable with black backing.

My AE4000 is positioned with the center of the lens about 5 cm below the top of the screen. This works well, nicely zooms between 16:9 and 2.35 automatically. You should have no problems if your lens is at the screen edge.

The one drawback of having the projector at the top of the screen, though, is that the new masking feature can't fully mask the 2.35 image on the bottom edge. This was a bit of a disappointment: even at the maximum value of +70, the mask is still about 40 cm below the bottom of the image. Since this is electronic masking, I don't understand why they limited it in this way. But that's a minor quibble, barely visible only when the screen is mostly black, and only noticeable because my screen wall is green, not black (concession to my wife).

You'll love your 4000.
post #1849 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 07:01 PM
PAP
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do. (constant height 2.35 screen).

Good, cheap, easy - pick any two.
post #1850 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBot View Post

Yeah i noticed that its not as sharp as i thought it would be looking at letters its almost like a shadow instead of clean lines to make it sharp looking. How many hours does it take for sharpness to get better if that's what my problem is?

Yes. Shadows, ghosts, fuzziness. Frankly, I am just sure whether I have a lemon or not. Will try to come up with a screen shot so others can comment. If I just forget about pq and enjoy a show for show values the pq seems ok, but
when I start looking for details all I see is soft and fuzzy. New eyeglasses coming next week which may help.

Ed
post #1851 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well at about 60 hours I noticed a region of white/blue flare on the screen on totally dark scenes - sounds like it might be a dust blob :-/ Its definately not a deal breaker for me as it only shows up on totally dark scenes, but I'm going to explore if there's any way to flush it out (without voiding the warranty) and contact Panasonic support.

Any idea what the turnaround time is for sending a PJ to the service center?
post #1852 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Snape View Post

Yes. Shadows, ghosts, fuzziness. Frankly, I am just sure whether I have a lemon or not. Will try to come up with a screen shot so others can comment. If I just forget about pq and enjoy a show for show values the pq seems ok, but
when I start looking for details all I see is soft and fuzzy. New eyeglasses coming next week which may help.

Didn't you say things seemed to be getting better or maybe you just thought they were? Has the Spears & Munsil calibration Blu-ray helped in the sharpness at all did you end up focusing it better? I hate how its not fine adjusting for focus it's too touchy.
post #1853 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 08:36 PM

Some body here made a DIY ceiling mount? could show it?
I don´t really want to spend a lot of money for the mounting, but I don´t have any idea how to start to make my own...

Regards

RMerlano
NewBie on AV Systems....
post #1854 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Whitefield View Post

The one drawback of having the projector at the top of the screen, though, is that the new masking feature can't fully mask the 2.35 image on the bottom edge. This was a bit of a disappointment: even at the maximum value of +70, the mask is still about 40 cm below the bottom of the image. Since this is electronic masking, I don't understand why they limited it in this way. But that's a minor quibble, barely visible only when the screen is mostly black, and only noticeable because my screen wall is green, not black (concession to my wife).

You'll love your 4000.

Yes Bob I agree, I hope next year they give us much more than 70+ for top and bottom masks!
post #1855 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmerlano View Post

Some body here made a DIY ceiling mount? could show it?
I don´t really want to spend a lot of money for the mounting, but I don´t have any idea how to start to make my own...

Regards

There are plenty of inexpensive mounts available, really no need to make your own unless you enjoy that kind of thing. I bought this one in black, along with the extension pipe. A rock solid, adjustable mount that also looks great:
http://www.mountdirect.com/Projector...ries_p/npl.htm
http://www.mountdirect.com/NPL_Exten.../npl_ext_v.htm
post #1856 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well I did a bit of research in the AE2000 and AE3000 threads and can confirm that I have a dust blob - or more specifically a lint or hair blob on the blue LCD. I can focus through it down to what looks like a dog or cat hair (I have both, and unfortunately yes they both come in the theater).

I just ordered a rocket bulb blower and will be seeing if there is anyway to get access to the lightpath to try to blow it off without voiding the warranty. Otherwise it's going to the service center for cleaning.
post #1857 of 8513 Old 11-22-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykster View Post

Well I did a bit of research in the AE2000 and AE3000 threads and can confirm that I have a dust blob - or more specifically a lint or hair blob on the blue LCD. I can focus through it down to what looks like a dog or cat hair (I have both, and unfortunately yes they both come in the theater).

I just ordered a rocket bulb blower and will be seeing if there is anyway to get access to the lightpath to try to blow it off without voiding the warranty. Otherwise it's going to the service center for cleaning.

Sorry to hear this, hopefully you can fix it without too much issue.
I wonder why Panasonic hasn't fixed this though? Is it something that will effect all 4000's at some point?
post #1858 of 8513 Old 11-23-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:

I had a similar problem using a "high quality" HDMI switcher and ~45" cable run. Not an issue with HD TV or DVD but flicker with BD (Denon 3800). Put a "home-run" HDMI from 3800 to PJ and flicker is gone.

Steve

Hi Steve:

As part of my trouble shooting, I tried playing a couple of regular DVDs. Flicker. Flicker. I will still try hooking the player directly to the pj and see what happens. Thank you for your response.

Nick
post #1859 of 8513 Old 11-23-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:

Dear NickMo:

It appears as though we have the exact same problem. I had a chance to watch the flashes closer, and you are right. They are the "snow" you described in your earlier post. You are also right in your odds assessment in that our respective set ups only have the AE4000 in common.

Just thinking about it, I am wondering if this is not some sort of cable issue, as opposed to the pj itself? There were many earlier posts from people having issues with "too long" of HDMI runs for this particular pj. Runs that worked just fine with other pjs, and even earlier versions of this pj.

Steve sounds like he had a very similar, if not identical issue:
"I may have missed it but have you hooked up the BD player directly to the PJ with a relatively short HDMI cable?? I thought that I had a bad PJ or BD player because the "sparkles" and screen flashes were intermittent but problem was solved (I hope) with a direct HDMI connection."

Have you tried this yet? I plan to, and I will report back my results.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Nick
post #1860 of 8513 Old 11-23-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:

Hey NickMo:

Nick

Try turning your auto iris off.
Wojtek
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page