Any Canadians Order From Our Friends in the US? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 98 Old 10-17-2009, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
G'Day...

Just wondering if any fellow Canucks can share their stories of ordering their projector from the US? With the dollar close to par again it makes allot of sense. I have a number of friends in the US who I could use as a middle man but would prefer not to.
If you have had a positive experience mind forwarding the details in regards to the shipping costs and if you were charged duty/taxes etc?

Cheers!
TSF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 10-17-2009, 05:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 192
You shouldn't be charged duty on a projector. It's exempt. I order everything from the US but I habe an arrangement with a warehouse in buffalo so I usually drive down there and pick the big things up. I saved over $1000 USD last year buying my kuro even after paying duty and taxes at the border. Don't know how close to the border you are but if you're close enough, you should check it out.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #3 of 98 Old 10-17-2009, 08:36 PM

I am from Canada and i have purchased items from the US, with electronics take into consideration of the warranty and if something goes wrong with it you will have to pay extra for shipping it back. You can get some really good deals even with the price of shipping.
post #4 of 98 Old 10-18-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

You shouldn't be charged duty on a projector. It's exempt.

Why are projectors exempt?
post #5 of 98 Old 10-18-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcredit View Post

Projectors are not exemp from Canadian duty. Since the cdn $ is just about par, I decided to call Canadian Customs, to see what the charges on a projector would be. This is what I was told: " 6% duty on all projectors on the price payed and then the GST on top of that." I live in Nova Scotia, so I would have to pay the 6%, then 13% GST.

I did a senerio of a AE4000 projector from PP and it worked out to be not much more than the suggested US retail price of the AE 4000.
post #6 of 98 Old 10-18-2009, 06:09 AM

You still have to pay duty unless it is Made in Canada, US or Mexico (NAFTA). As for plasma and lcd they're usually made in Mexico that's why it's tax free. AE4000 is made in Japan...
post #7 of 98 Old 10-18-2009, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
you could "argue" that the projector is a computer item (parts or otherwise) which are duty free (but heck 6% probably isn't worth the "battle")... and by "argue" I mean have the shipper declare it as computer stuff which isn't a "stretch". The other thing is used the post office as in USPS if you can or at least check the rates. That's because our PO only charges $5 to "clear" a customs item while the "other guys" charge "crazy fees" to get an item thru... probably one of the biggest "scams" going on inter border stuff.

Anyways, as you probably figured, the selling price between US and Canada retailers is where you make "hay".

IF you are a "sens fan" in the ottawa area, then just order thru the states, have the parcel shipped / received in ogdensburg NY (UPS store) for $5, then go down and pick it up yourself and deal with the border yourself directly.... that way IF you have a "deal" which the seller says "free shipping in the US", you may be able to save further.
post #8 of 98 Old 10-18-2009, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

IF you are a "sens fan" in the ottawa area, then just order thru the states, have the parcel shipped / received in ogdensburg NY (UPS store) for $5, then go down and pick it up yourself and deal with the border yourself directly.... that way IF you have a "deal" which the seller says "free shipping in the US", you may be able to save further.

Funny... you are the second person to recommend this. I think I may look into this further.

Is there a particular dealer that works with more efficiently than others when shipping north?
post #9 of 98 Old 10-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSensFan View Post

Funny... you are the second person to recommend this. I think I may look into this further.

Is there a particular dealer that works with more efficiently than others when shipping north?

I'll make it three.

I bought my Panasonic BD-80 Blu-Ray player from Amazon.com, had it shipped to the UPS store in Ogdensburg, paid all the taxes, bridge tolls ($3.25 CDN each way) and handling by the UPS Store ($5 US), and still saved about $200 CDN over buying it locally.

I found that Canadian Customs seldom checks where something was manufactured, and I guess assumes it's Made in the Good Ole U. S. of A., because I can't remember the last time they charged me any duty.

When ordering, try to find a company that doesn't do business in NY State, or else you will be paying NY sales tax (and you can't get it back).

But, the most important thing to do is check around to see what you can actually get a deal on locally and add up all the costs to see what's the better deal.

When I bough my projector, I got it from Quebec Acoustic and with shipping ($25 or so) and GST (only, they're in Quebec so no PST), it was a couple of hundred dollars less that it would have cost me to get one out of the States. And I have a Canadian warrentee (if that should ever be needed).

Mike
post #10 of 98 Old 10-18-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:

I got the UPS store route all the time. Works great! With the dollar the way it is right now you arent going to find a better deal in Canada.
post #11 of 98 Old 10-18-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcredit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworder59 View Post

You still have to pay duty unless it is Made in Canada, US or Mexico (NAFTA). As for plasma and lcd they're usually made in Mexico that's why it's tax free. AE4000 is made in Japan...

Here you go...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...y#post15178157

Unless things have changed in the past year. You should not have to pay duty on projectors.

its around page 1419 - 1420 ish

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #12 of 98 Old 10-19-2009, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Well I spoke with a couple of Panny dealers here in Canada and they have stated the price is $3999! Good Lord!

Compare that to the $1999 US... Its a no brainer.
post #13 of 98 Old 10-19-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Well I spoke with a couple of Panny dealers here in Canada and they have stated the price is $3999! Good Lord!

Compare that to the $1999 US... Its a no brainer.

Figured that was coming. Completely insane. Ordering from the states is the only way to go for us I think!
post #14 of 98 Old 10-19-2009, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Yup! I figured the same.

Now to find a place that is kind to Canadians.

They will surely get alot of business.
post #15 of 98 Old 10-19-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Here you go...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...y#post15178157

Unless things have changed in the past year. You should not have to pay duty on projectors.

its around page 1419 - 1420 ish

Good Lord! You need a law degree to understand that document!

If I read it correctly, I suspect the key is the projector does NOT have tuner and thus is not charged duty.
post #16 of 98 Old 10-19-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

its strange how that works i bought a pj from the projector people(USA) for less than half of what they wanted across the street from me. shopping for electornic toys in the USA is a no brainer thats for sure

behind every successful man is a suprised mother-inlaw......
post #17 of 98 Old 10-19-2009, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good Lord! You need a law degree to understand that document!

Good news is that the custom people don't have a law degree. Print it out, bring it with you and if want duty you pull it up, scroll to the proper page and show it to them. The fact that you researched it and seems to know what you are talking about will probably be enough to avoid the Duty.

Done that travelling to other countries and works well more often than not
post #18 of 98 Old 10-19-2009, 10:31 PM

i have ordered a lot of ht stuff to bellingham ups store and went down there to pickup and i just pay gst pst on that stuff and never paid any duties on ht stuff clearly marked as made in china or other parts of asia....thx
post #19 of 98 Old 10-20-2009, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityex View Post

i have ordered a lot of ht stuff to bellingham ups store and went down there to pickup and i just pay gst pst on that stuff and never paid any duties on ht stuff clearly marked as made in china or other parts of asia....thx

That concept buying from US and delivery to a UPS store for pick-up is interesting... First time I heard that possibility...

How it works exactly (full explanation) ?

Thanks for your help,

Eric
post #20 of 98 Old 10-20-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac View Post

That concept buying from US and delivery to a UPS store for pick-up is interesting... First time I heard that possibility...

How it works exactly (full explanation) ?

Thanks for your help,

Eric

I use the UPS store in Port Huron Michigan. I get the package addressed to my name but use the address of the UPS store I want it sent to. Then on the last line you add "unit ZZ". Not sure if its the same for all UPS stores but when they see "unit ZZ" they know its for someone without an account there and they will hold it for you. Then just show up with a piece of ID and a $10 charge for pick up and you are good to go.
post #21 of 98 Old 10-20-2009, 08:30 AM

I guess this is my only alternative for a reasonably priced Panny AE4000. Even if it dies and I just threw it away and purchased another....... It will be on par with buying in Canada! How the hell does that make sense?????

Here is the link to find UPS store locations:

http://go.mappoint.net/ups/PrxInput.aspx

Here is a list of the Buffalo and area UPS stores:

http://go.mappoint.net/ups/PrxResult...32%3a&GAD4=USA

1 The UPS Store # 0861
266 ELMWOOD AVE
BUFFALO, NY 14222-2202 - USA
Pack & Ship Promise Location*
Phone: (716)885-5902 Show Map

2 The UPS Store # 0682
2316 DELAWARE AVE
BUFFALO, NY 14216 - USA
Phone: (716)877-7711 Show Map

3 The UPS Store # CA0308
1243 GARRISON ROAD, #5, FORT ERIE, ONTARIO L2A 1P1, CANADA
Phone: 905-994-8339 Show Map

4 The UPS Store # 2299
3842 HARLEM RD
CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14215 - USA
Phone: (716)839-0755 Show Map

5 The UPS Store # 4606
1902 RIDGE RD
WEST SENECA, NY 14224 - USA
Phone: (716)677-6041

Real Televisions are measured in Feet, not Inches!

I don't go big or go home.....I Go Home to Go Big
post #22 of 98 Old 10-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintchris View Post

I use the UPS store in Port Huron Michigan. I get the package addressed to my name but use the address of the UPS store I want it sent to. Then on the last line you add "unit ZZ". Not sure if its the same for all UPS stores but when they see "unit ZZ" they know its for someone without an account there and they will hold it for you. Then just show up with a piece of ID and a $10 charge for pick up and you are good to go.

Thanks for the info,

Eric
post #23 of 98 Old 10-21-2009, 03:58 AM

Do you need to have a mailbox account with the UPS store, or contact them before shipping? Or does the package just show up at the store one day? How long will they hold it?

Andy

post #24 of 98 Old 10-21-2009, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-Man View Post

Do you need to have a mailbox account with the UPS store, or contact them before shipping? Or does the package just show up at the store one day? How long will they hold it?

Andy

Good question... I would like a answer too...

Eric
post #25 of 98 Old 10-21-2009, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I use:

U.S. Address Mailbox Rentals
3909 Witmer Road
Niagara Falls NY 14305-1244
United States
716-298-1822

You can register by phone and a driver's liscence is required for id when picking up your parcel. You simply subsitute your name, instead of "U.S. Address Mailbox Rentals" for your shipping address. They are excellent! They have received for me, everything from an Onkyo 885 to a 9' long screen masking sytem to a D-Box system. $5 a box and there may be a slight oversize/overweight charge. (The masking system was $15 USD for a 9' long 100 pound box) $2 a week storage after the first week, if you can't get there right away.

You will still pay 13% sales tax on the converted value of goods you are importing, but shipping is substantially cheaper by keeping the parcel in the US and by importing it yourself, you save expensive brokerage fees. NY state has recently required state sales tax to be paid on goods sold to any NY state resident so this might eat into your savings.
post #26 of 98 Old 10-21-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:

Andy

I have never contacted the store in advance. You should verify the "unit ZZ" procedure. That is the extra address line that the Port Huron store uses and I assume its the same for all stores but double check just to be safe. Best thing is just to call them to get their policy and then you are set. But yeah once they see "unit ZZ" they know to hold it for you.
post #27 of 98 Old 10-21-2009, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I use the Ogdensburg, NY UPS Store all the time. I just have it sent to:

Care of UPS Store

The accept the parcel and hold it until I pick it up. They charge $5 for any package I have ever had delivered there.

Call the UPS Store you are interested and talk to them. They all seem to be very friendly and deal with Canadians all the time. They will be able to tell you exactly what their procedure and fees are.

Mike
post #28 of 98 Old 11-02-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:

I guess this is my only alternative for a reasonably priced Panny AE4000. Even if it dies and I just threw it away and purchased another....... It will be on par with buying in Canada! How the hell does that make sense?????

Here is the link to find UPS store locations:

http://go.mappoint.net/ups/PrxInput.aspx

Here is a list of the Buffalo and area UPS stores:

http://go.mappoint.net/ups/PrxResult...32%3a&GAD4=USA

1 The UPS Store # 0861
266 ELMWOOD AVE
BUFFALO, NY 14222-2202 - USA
Phone: (716)885-5902 Show Map

2 The UPS Store # 0682
2316 DELAWARE AVE
BUFFALO, NY 14216 - USA
Phone: (716)877-7711 Show Map

3 The UPS Store # CA0308
1243 GARRISON ROAD, #5, FORT ERIE, ONTARIO L2A 1P1, CANADA
Phone: 905-994-8339 Show Map

4 The UPS Store # 2299
3842 HARLEM RD
CHEEKTOWAGA, NY 14215 - USA
Phone: (716)839-0755 Show Map

5 The UPS Store # 4606
1902 RIDGE RD
WEST SENECA, NY 14224 - USA
Phone: (716)677-6041

Just as an update I called the Buffallo Store #1 on the map 266 Elmwood. If you don't have an account it is $30 and they don't notify you so you have to watch your tracking number.
post #29 of 98 Old 11-02-2009, 06:45 AM

Any point in putting some strategy into the border crossing? I am wondering are some borders crossings more lax than others? Is it better to go when it is busy, weekends or weekdays?

I am going to have my Girlfriend list what we purchased jeans, shoes, tank top, projector, chocolate, perfume... Hopefully the guy will not hear it .

I assume the Niagara Falls Border is probably the worst as they are expecting it.
post #30 of 98 Old 11-05-2009, 11:55 AM

just realize that it is 30$ per package. If you are shipping two or more, sign up for a mail box (45$ for 3 months) and there are unlimited packages at no additional cost. And they send you emails when the package arrives.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page