Need to make a 50ft hdmi run??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 10-21-2009, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I need to run a HDMI cable from my future Panny AX200U or AE4000 to my Onkyo 606 receiver.

The projector will be on the opposite side of the room with the rest of my electronics including a PS3, Xbox 360, U-verse Tv box, HTPC, WII, and my Panny 50PZ85U plasma.

I have heard that past 5 meters the signal will degrade? Is that true with todays HDMI cables, like the ones on amazon for like 10 dollars?
What would be the best option or cable to choose? Or other option if there is one, but I dont really want to buy a HDMI booster/extender.

I would hate to give Monster Cable $250 for this http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=3832

The hard part will be running the HDMI down the exterior wall where all the A/V equipment will be.

Sony 55HX820
Yamaha 667
Deftech SSA42
Kenwood 12" sub
Logitech Harmony 900
Panny TH-50PZ85U - Bedroom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-21-2009, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Or you could give Monoprice $50 for one of these -

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

They have a 21 day money back so if you can try it out immediately, you can always send it back if it doesn't work.

Gamertag: crud monkey
post #3 of 26 Old 10-21-2009, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Or something from Blue Jeans cable; I use a 25ft BJ cable in a similar setup with no problems. Bottom line: the $10/$20 ilk of HDMI cables won't cut it.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...bles/index.htm

Yamaha DSP-A1 Integrated Amp
(4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps and Mills resistors (R/L F/R)
(2) Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets (dual centers)
B&O TX2 Turntable
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD
Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-Ray/DVD
Princeton AF3.0HD Monitor
Optoma HD65 Projector
post #4 of 26 Old 10-21-2009, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=3832

"1080p Full HD higher definition picture and digital surround sound at a price everybody can afford "

Higher than what?

"Step up to 700HD and experience a level of high definition that’s beyond expectations."

LOL!
post #5 of 26 Old 10-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post

Or something from Blue Jeans cable; I use a 25ft BJ cable in a similar setup with no problems. Bottom line: the $10/$20 ilk of HDMI cables won't cut it.

I got the 45' certified cable from Blue Jeans and it works perfectly. Blue Jeans shipped it from Seattle to (near) Ottawa in less than a week and the price was great.

Highly recommended.

Mike
post #6 of 26 Old 10-21-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post

I got the 45' certified cable from Blue Jeans and it works perfectly. Blue Jeans shipped it from Seattle to (near) Ottawa in less than a week and the price was great.

Highly recommended.

Mike

+1 -- running a 50ft cable from BJ. It is an in-wall cable and due to many reasons to long to discuss it was an emergency option at the last minute and I don't have an other alternate in the wall for 1080p (have component as backup). They shipped it right away and I have no issues at all with the picture.

Great quality for long runs, great customer service and very friendly on the phone.
post #7 of 26 Old 10-21-2009, 09:36 AM

I already have about 1200ft of Cat5e and a lot of short HDMI cables, what does anyone think about Cat5e HDMI extensions?

post #8 of 26 Old 10-21-2009, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm using a 50 ft. HDMI cable from Monoprice and its great.
post #9 of 26 Old 10-21-2009, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton View Post

I have never heard of these guys..

I guess these are no good?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Sony 55HX820
Yamaha 667
Deftech SSA42
Kenwood 12" sub
Logitech Harmony 900
post #10 of 26 Old 10-21-2009, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8519 View Post

I already have about 1200ft of Cat5e and a lot of short HDMI cables, what does anyone think about Cat5e HDMI extensions?

How do these work? The only HDMI over CAT5/6 converters that i have seen are like $300..

Sony 55HX820
Yamaha 667
Deftech SSA42
Kenwood 12" sub
Logitech Harmony 900
post #11 of 26 Old 10-21-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I am using a 35' run, 22 gauge from monoprice with no issue.
post #12 of 26 Old 10-21-2009, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8519 View Post

Has anyone used these? If so, let us know, cause i would really like use them instead of buying a long HDMI, and having to deal with signal degradation.

Sony 55HX820
Yamaha 667
Deftech SSA42
Kenwood 12" sub
Logitech Harmony 900
post #13 of 26 Old 10-21-2009, 03:24 PM

The monoprice item has a review now. Going to buy one tonight.
post #14 of 26 Old 10-21-2009, 04:33 PM

Don't get sucked in, do some real homework. It has been proven that buying "Top of the line" cables is nothing but a rip off. CBC Market Place did a very interesting, and factual, article on Monster versus "cheap" cables. They even tested them using electronic testers in their studios. Bottom line, no difference. Lets face it, it is digital. On or off. 1 or 0. No in between.
post #15 of 26 Old 10-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Bluejeans cable. Period.
post #16 of 26 Old 10-21-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Proton View Post

Don't get sucked in, do some real homework. It has been proven that buying "Top of the line" cables is nothing but a rip off. CBC Market Place did a very interesting, and factual, article on Monster versus "cheap" cables. They even tested them using electronic testers in their studios. Bottom line, no difference. Lets face it, it is digital. On or off. 1 or 0. No in between.

While this is mainly correct you do need a different AWG for longer runs

In regards to the Cat5 to HDMI at monoprice. I have a set at home, but unfortunately I haven't installed them yet. I need help taking down the TV that is hanging in-front of the cables so I will know in a few weeks.

BUT from reading the reviews they seem fine for shorter runs, but not for longer runs.
EDIT: Monoprice removed their rev 1 of the same unit. I believe this is as the new ones are HDMI 1.4 compatible, but don't quote me on it (think that is what they told me in a chat a few weeks ago). The old ones had quite a few reviews and the only issue was when there was long lenghts -- 50ft should be fine)

Bluejeans is a very reputable company. If you do a search on the whole forum you will see them come up a ton of times. They are a great company and they are not overpriced. BJC and Monoprice are probably the two most recommended companies here for cables. In regards to longer runs (that are more sensitive for HDMI) I would go with BJC, but that is based on personal experience of something that worked and not anything against monoprice (whom I have spent a ton of money with for other products)
post #17 of 26 Old 10-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

In regards to the Cat5 to HDMI at monoprice. I have a set at home, but unfortunately I haven't installed them yet. I need help taking down the TV that is hanging in-front of the cables so I will know in a few weeks.

BUT from reading the reviews they seem fine for shorter runs, but not for longer runs.
EDIT: Monoprice removed their rev 1 of the same unit. I believe this is as the new ones are HDMI 1.4 compatible, but don't quote me on it (think that is what they told me in a chat a few weeks ago). The old ones had quite a few reviews and the only issue was when there was long lenghts -- 50ft should be fine)

Bluejeans is a very reputable company. If you do a search on the whole forum you will see them come up a ton of times. They are a great company and they are not overpriced. BJC and Monoprice are probably the two most recommended companies here for cables. In regards to longer runs (that are more sensitive for HDMI) I would go with BJC, but that is based on personal experience of something that worked and not anything against monoprice (whom I have spent a ton of money with for other products)

True...good advice and BJC will take no question asked returns I do believe.
post #18 of 26 Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm guessing they were using Cat5e, because i read some reviews that the people were using Cat6 and were running 90 ft with no issues..

The 50ft cable at monoprice are I believe $150.. If the HDMI over ethernet works, that would be a lot cheaper and the signal should not be degraded.

Sony 55HX820
Yamaha 667
Deftech SSA42
Kenwood 12" sub
Logitech Harmony 900
post #19 of 26 Old 10-22-2009, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody know if CAT6 works better?

Sony 55HX820
Yamaha 667
Deftech SSA42
Kenwood 12" sub
Logitech Harmony 900
post #20 of 26 Old 10-22-2009, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamdam View Post

I'm guessing they were using Cat5e, because i read some reviews that the people were using Cat6 and were running 90 ft with no issues..

The 50ft cable at monoprice are I believe $150.. If the HDMI over ethernet works, that would be a lot cheaper and the signal should not be degraded.

Did you check BlueJeans? They do have HDMI 50ft runs at sale for $32, but I would definately call them to make sure that one would be good for your setup before ordering.

Cat6 is going to be tougher to connect than Cat5 so if you can buy pre-terminated cable that would be a good advice. Also if you are running it in-wall I would suggest running at least one extra just in case / for future use.

You could be correct with that Cat6 vs Cat5 -- not sure. Either way for 50ft you really should be fine with either.
post #21 of 26 Old 10-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamdam View Post

Has anyone used these? If so, let us know, cause i would really like use them instead of buying a long HDMI, and having to deal with signal degradation.

I use something similar for my 32" Samsung LCD:

PIMFG

I am not that far from my AVR (about 35'), but my plans changed since I redid the room a while ago and the conduits I ran were to small for the HDMI connector.

I am using this with 2 runs of STP CAT5e cable and I have never had a problem with dropouts or anything of the sort. I also hooked it up to my HC 720 projector and I couldn't tell the difference between it and a 35' cable from Monoprice.

There are only a couple things to be aware of (from my experience) the first no-name HDMI switcher I used did not work with this extender, but since I needed a matrix switcher (2 displays) I bought the 4x2 switcher from Monoprice and have had no issues since.

The second issue, which may not be an issue for you, is that the extender is powered on the receive end ( at the display) not the transmit end. Not a huge deal for my TV, but with a projector mounted in the ceiling, you may have to add an outlet.

Bottom line, it works well and it's cheap YMMV.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over.....
post #22 of 26 Old 10-23-2009, 12:31 PM

I have these PTC Premium Gold Series HDMI Extender over CAT5E / CAT6 Wallplate

with 2 100' Cat6 cables from Monoprice, haven't put them in yet as I have been waiting on Win7 to drop so I could build a new media pc for the projector. I am glad I did as I am thinking of getting the Patriot Box Office instead of building a new media pc. Currently I am using hdmi cable from monoprice works great and cant beat those guys IMO.
post #23 of 26 Old 10-23-2009, 04:03 PM

A poster further up mentioned the In-wall rated Monoprice 50 footer. I used one of those when putting in my basement theater, and I can run 1080p from the wallplate in the front of the room to the component closet in the back without a problem.
post #24 of 26 Old 10-23-2009, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Did you check BlueJeans? They do have HDMI 50ft runs at sale for $32, but I would definately call them to make sure that one would be good for your setup before ordering.

Cat6 is going to be tougher to connect than Cat5 so if you can buy pre-terminated cable that would be a good advice. Also if you are running it in-wall I would suggest running at least one extra just in case / for future use.

You could be correct with that Cat6 vs Cat5 -- not sure. Either way for 50ft you really should be fine with either.

???

I have been making ethernet cable with CAT6 for a few years now and it's as easy as CAT5/CAT5E. I currently have a box of 1,000ft CAT6 rated at 550mhz sitting around in my garage...
post #25 of 26 Old 10-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech View Post

???

I have been making ethernet cable with CAT6 for a few years now and it's as easy as CAT5/CAT5E. I currently have a box of 1,000ft CAT6 rated at 550mhz sitting around in my garage...

I meant to comment on this earlier, but I have never seen any differences between making a CAT6 and CAT5e cable either....

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over.....
post #26 of 26 Old 10-23-2009, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I have 50 foot and 60 foot HDMI cables from Bluejeans cable and they pass 24p/1080 signals fine.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page