Panasonic PT-AE3000U Focus or Alignment Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-25-2009, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had my Panasonic PT-AE3000U for 3 weeks now and and am trying to tweak it for best performance and am noticing a couple of issues.

1) Issue #1: I can't get this thing focused to the point of being able to clearly resolve individual pixels. I was able to do this easily with an Optoma HD20, so I assume the more expensive Panasonic should also be able to do this.

Example 1: On a single pixel black-white line pattern, I get the following results. Note that the top row of black pixels is actually 2 pixels tall (it should only be 1 tall, and is when displayed on an LCD monitor), with the two rows being colored differently. And the bottom row of white pixels is whiter than the other rows (it should be the same exact color, and is when displayed on an LCD monitor). It does this across the screen. It's almost like one of the LCD panels is a pixel out of alignment with the other two.

Example 2: Using the test pattern that the projector can produce, I get something similar. What you're seeing there is NOT the camera being out of focus, it's the image (and that's as focused as I can get it!).

This isn't matching up to the level of sharpness that I was expecting to see (E.G. the first set of photos on http://www.projectorreviews.com/pana...erformance.php).

1) Issue #2: This is kind of like issue #1 but on a larger scale. The first image below is of the red-blue transition in a pluge pattern. You can see the red and blue vertical line patterns beside the transition. This isn't a single column of pixels, it's probably 10-20 pixels wide. The next image is again from the test pattern that the projector can produce. I don't know if the blue lines beside the green lines are supposed to be there. Given what I see with the pluge pattern I suspect not.

So are these effects normal, or is my projector broken? I don't ever recall seeing this with my HD65 in the 11 months I had it, nor with my HD20 in the 2 weeks I had it.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-26-2009, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

You're comparing 2 DLP's to an LCD projector. You're bound to find issues with color uniformity, convergence, etc on LCD's.

My $.02 - STOP STARING AT TEST PATTERNS AND WATCH A MOVIE!!

post #3 of 4 Old 10-26-2009, 06:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 20
All Panasonic projectors have a feature (undefeatable) called "smoothscreen", which blurs the inter-pixel space slightly. It's been a topic of debate on their 1080p machines since the ae1000u. I personally like it. I think it provides a smoother, more cinematic image, and is viewable at closer seating positions (my first row is about 9' from a 136" 2.35:1 Carada screen) if needed. I even have some people sit about 6' from the screen on gamer chairs on occasion, and I've never heard a complaint.

I've also got a Sanyo PLV-Z5 projector as a backup. It throws an extremely sharp image, but with the interpixel space, it's extremely limited for use with large images in my small-ish room.

As TFGhost said, watch a couple of movies. Focus corner to corner, and don't fret about the single pixel lines. If the image is not well-focused, then you've got an issue. But don't use the grids to determine projector quality.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
post #4 of 4 Old 10-26-2009, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I see your point about resolving individual pixels.

Normally I wouldn't fret about looking at cal images, but my 30 day window to return it is coming up, and I have not had a chance to watch many movies on it yet. Thus I want to be sure that it's operating correctly before I lose the chance to return it to the vendor.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page