post #451 of 1760 Old 12-29-2010, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricanmeng View Post

Hello CT,
the DLP link glasses from ultimate 3D heaven run about $50 each and are pretty nice build quality. I tend to stick with ATI (AMD) for power savings and the most power for bang for the buck applications, I am using a 6870 to in 3D.

Rican, what 3D software are you using? I can't get the UltraClear (3DHeaven) glasses to work. That said, I had a nightmare just getting to the point of using them. I put an ATI 6850 in my PC and loaded latest drivers. PowerDVD 10 would read the DVD (3D Bluray Christmas Carol), but then it would hang. I set the projector to dpllink 3D and the ATI card to 120hz. I tried about 5 times and still same. I then downloaded Arcsoft TMT5 and first chose HD3D for Radeon, but that gave me red/blue 3D. I then tried DLPlink checkerboard, and that worked, but the glasses wouldn't work. They definitely look like they sync to the flashing since without the glasses the screen looks washed out and with them the blacks turn black, but no 3D. I did have an overhead light on, though. Do you need a completely dark room for these? I wouldn't think so. (Edit: I reread all of the messages in the forum and discovered that checkerboard does not work, but that the new drivers and PowerDVD10 or TMT5 with HD3D selected work. Well, PowerDVD10 won't load, and the HD3D selection just gives me red/blue 3D.)

Anyone else have problems with PowerDVD10 for 3D, 2D works fine? Or getting your DLPglasses to work?

Also, I do not see any out of focus on one side or the other. Of course, the image isn't as sharp as my Mits HC3800, but I didn't expect it to be, but it is nice and bright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1760 Old 12-29-2010, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would appreciate suggestions on projector positioning (throw distance). The 1.1x zoom seems limiting, and I am a bit confused...

My screen size is 96"(w)x72" (h), 4:3 aspect ratio, 120" diagonal.

The projector user guide positioning is based on 16:9. At this aspect ratio, a throw of ~4m (13 feet) at mid-zoom will match my screen width of 96".
At the same 4-m throw, for 4:3 however, the largest image (min zoom) is only 78"x59" (i.e., a 100" diagonal image on a 120" diagonal screen), giving a pillar box effect with native 4:3 images.

Any suggestions on positioning for optimal throw?
post #453 of 1760 Old 12-29-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

Rican, what 3D software are you using? I can't get the UltraClear (3DHeaven) glasses to work. That said, I had a nightmare just getting to the point of using them. I put an ATI 6850 in my PC and loaded latest drivers. PowerDVD 10 would read the DVD (3D Bluray Christmas Carol), but then it would hang. I set the projector to dpllink 3D and the ATI card to 120hz. I tried about 5 times and still same. I then downloaded Arcsoft TMT5 and first chose HD3D for Radeon, but that gave me red/blue 3D. I then tried DLPlink checkerboard, and that worked, but the glasses wouldn't work. They definitely look like they sync to the flashing since without the glasses the screen looks washed out and with them the blacks turn black, but no 3D. I did have an overhead light on, though. Do you need a completely dark room for these? I wouldn't think so. (Edit: I reread all of the messages in the forum and discovered that checkerboard does not work, but that the new drivers and PowerDVD10 or TMT5 with HD3D selected work. Well, PowerDVD10 won't load, and the HD3D selection just gives me red/blue 3D.)

Anyone else have problems with PowerDVD10 for 3D, 2D works fine? Or getting your DLPglasses to work?

Also, I do not see any out of focus on one side or the other. Of course, the image isn't as sharp as my Mits HC3800, but I didn't expect it to be, but it is nice and bright.

Set PDVD10 to 120Hz Time Sequential 3D in Settings/3D
post #454 of 1760 Old 12-29-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145 View Post

Set PDVD10 to 120Hz Time Sequential 3D in Settings/3D

Well, now PDVD10 does read the disc, but the display jitters at about 30hz and won't sync with the glasses. I am definitely in 120hz with 3D on at the projector. I can see the glasses are working, though. Just can't sync. Also, PDVD will not auto detect the projector, though ATI sees it. I'm going to install the the hacked edid file and see if that works.
post #455 of 1760 Old 12-29-2010, 11:59 AM

Liked: 12
I need help as well please.

I'm using gt430, Nvidia glasses and emitter, and powerdvd 10. I've done the wizard set-up, and I do have the projector set to Nvidia 3d. I've tried Resident Evil 3d and Starcraft 2 pc. Both are in 3d, but the following message pops up and stays at the bottom of the screen -

Warning: attempt to run stereoscopic 3d in a non-stereo display mode, please change to an acceptable mode. See documentation for acceptable stereoscopic 3d modes.

Also, I either get sparklies on the screen, or just white flashes. I'm guessing that I'm probably missing something simple, or at least I hope. Any thoughts?
post #456 of 1760 Old 12-29-2010, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Geo05 -- I would set up the H5360 for the 16:9 video. The PJ does not have enough zoom range to be able to fill your screen with a 4:3 (96" x 72") image and go maximum width for a 16:9 (96" x 54") image.

The H5360 only has a 1.1:1 zoom range and you need at least a 1.4:1 zoom range to be able to cover the two sizes (72/54 = 1.333333, the constant width ratio).

threed123 -- Others have reported problems with the "UltraClear" glasses, too (AFIK).

maintman -- Have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers for your GT430 (from Nvidia) and PowerDVD 10 3D (from Cyberlink)? You need to re-read the setup instructions for both, to see if you missed something (including the instructions that came with your Nvidia 3D Glasses kit - I believe that there is a "Sync" button that needs to be pressed).

Do you have a problem with any other BD discs? I assume you are talking about the movies and not the gaming versions of those two titles. If they are the games, then you don't use PowerDVD (obviously).

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #457 of 1760 Old 12-29-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

[u] threed123 -- Others have reported problems with the "UltraClear" glasses, too (AFIK).

Yeah, I thought that, but I can't get either PDVD10 or TMT5 to output 120hz time sequential as in the specs. PDVD hangs, and TMT5 just give me red/blue. So I know it's not the glasses. I get PDVD to give me checkerboard and I can tell that it is doing it because the image is fuzzy as the right/left are blended. I downloaded the Acer 5360 EDID inf and tried that, and that simply made TMT5 hang, so that doesn't work either. I'm thinking it's the ATI6850 card. I read others are having problem with the 6xxx series also, but the 5xxx series works, so I might revert to that...anyway it's frustrating. I would go the nvidia route, but I can't get the projector to recognize output from the gt450 card I did buy. It could be my MB on the PC just doesn't cut it.
post #458 of 1760 Old 12-29-2010, 03:15 PM

Thanks. I'll re-check. I had to download the drivers from Nvidia's website because the disc that came with the glasses kit didn't work..so it should be the most updated. I did have the same problems with both the game and blu-ray. Regular blu-rays play fine with powerdvd.

Did anyone else have problems with Nvidia's disc?
post #459 of 1760 Old 12-29-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Geo05 -- I would set up the H5360 for the 16:9 video. The PJ does not have enough zoom range to be able to fill your screen with a 4:3 (96" x 72") image and go maximum width for a 16:9 (96" x 54") image.

Thanks. Yes, that's what I figured...
Isn't some content with 2.3:1 aspect ratio, though?
post #460 of 1760 Old 12-29-2010, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello CT,

I use TMT 5 with the ultraclear dlp link glasses without any issues. I use virtual clone drive to mount my iso's through Mediabrowser which I use to launch TMT 5 for blu rays. TMT 5 configured itself to use the amd HD3D settings. I set the software to automatically launch movies and files in 3D and Fullscreen. My theater is completely light controlled and I don't have issues with syncing, the only minor annoyance that I have is having to invert the eyes every now and then when switching between gaming and movies. Other than that the glass are fairly comfortable and turn themselves off once they no longer sense the dlp link from the screen.
post #461 of 1760 Old 12-29-2010, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

threed123 -- Hmmm (scratches head). Apparently different cards, even from the same family, don't al work the same. I hope the EVGA GT430 that I bought will work. Other members have used the 430's with success, so I'm hopeful. The faster, more expensive versions, aren't always the solution (or better). If the 5xxx versions of the ATI cards work, then that would be Ok, too. The key is to use the 120Hz refresh rate and be able to talk to the H5360. All other factors are secondary.

maintman -- From the reviews (on the Newegg web site), just about everyone said that the included software was out of date and needed to be updated before the cards would work as advertised. This is true for just about any hardware purchased on-line, and is not unusual. I recently bought a new router from my local store, and it said that the FW needed updating -- right on the box.

BTW, you never play video games using PowerDVD. That is for playing movies (DVD and Blu-Ray) only. That means that 3D games have their own setup interface, using the video card's firmware and driver software. I assumed that you knew that.

Geo05 -- That is the case with some of the newer 3D movies (and a lot of the "blockbuster" 2D movies), but it doesn't matter. You set up your H5360 for the maximum screen width for the 16:9 format. That is the best you can do. The old 4:3 format became obsolete for video when the HD "revolution" started over 10 years ago. Even the latest PC format is 16:10, rather than the old 4:3 format (although I still do have one 4:3 PC monitor).

IMHO, if you ever upgrade your screen, get a 16:9 one (that is my personal preference). Only the old movies are 4:3. I got rid of my 4:3 screen over 6 years ago. Any of my old movies are "pillar-boxed" (black bars on both sides of the image. All of the 2.35:1 (any movie over the 1.78:1 ratio of 16:9 movies) are "letter-boxed" (black bars on the top and bottom). I find that a 16:9 screen is the best compromise, at least for now (since that is the native size of all of the current HT PJs -- and flat panel HDTVs).

PS -- Only business and education venues still tend to stick with the 4:3 format (and some gaming systems). If that is your preference, then your 4:3 screen is fine. It just doesn't work well with movies, either 2D or 3D. The majority of movies have been filmed in a widescreen format (1.78:1 up to 2.45:1) since the 1960's.

post #462 of 1760 Old 12-29-2010, 09:23 PM

BTW, you never play video games using PowerDVD. That is for playing movies (DVD and Blu-Ray) only. That means that 3D games have their own setup interface, using the video card's firmware and driver software. I assumed that you knew that.[/quote]

Yes, I knew that. My point was that my issue must be from a Nvidia setting, not Powerdvd. Thanks though.
post #463 of 1760 Old 12-29-2010, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Ricanmeng -- Thanks for the input. From your experience, the AMD 6870 and the DLP-link with the ultraclear glasses work just fine. That seems to be a viable choice. However, the prices of the 6870 cards seem to be quite high, and your 3D system components costs more than the "cheap" approach that I have chosen.

Since I don't intend to watch a lot of 3D movies, it's a little more than I want to spend for the time being (on a secondary PJ setup). I'm also not into gaming, so that feature isn't important to me.

I do have a question though. How do you drive the UltraClear DLP-link glasses? It was my impression that an Emitter Box is still needed to drive them (similar to the Nvidia 3D glasses kit, which includes the Emitter). It is my understanding that the Acer H5360 does not include the DLP-Link emitter.

post #464 of 1760 Old 12-30-2010, 03:22 AM

Okay, I did the set-up wizard over again, and I was able to get rid of the warning statement...but I cannot seem to get rid of the sparklies and flickering. Upon opening the wizard (and throughout) there are red flickering lines running across the screen. It seems worrisome to me that it would do that before the emitter is even detected, no? It does show that it's hdmi 120hz when it starts, and all the set-up appears otherwise normal. But, there are just those annoying artifacts during the whole process and then during normal playback. Anyone got any other ideas where I could be going wrong? I went ahead and tried moving the emitter around - on the center channel, ottoman, etc., but to no avail. Also screwed around with different settings and such. Any help would be so much appreciated, and apologies if I'm being a frustrating noob. Thank you.

Also, it does vary in the severance during different times. For example, I opened the wizard a few times, and that 1st page was light once, but heavy the other times. Okay, I gotta get some sleep before another frustrating round with this. Thanks again everyone.
post #465 of 1760 Old 12-30-2010, 05:18 AM
ctn

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintman View Post

Okay, I did the set-up wizard over again, and I was able to get rid of the warning statement...but I cannot seem to get rid of the sparklies and flickering. .....

You may have a bad cable or connection. Did you go from the PC to the PJ or the AVR? Mine is working ok going from the PC to the PJ.
post #466 of 1760 Old 12-30-2010, 06:27 AM

The DLP Link aspect is actually the white or clear segment on the color wheel spinning around, once the projector is in 3D mode, it uses that segment of the wheel as an emitter to be reflected off of the screen and back into the glasses. Just make sure your lights are not on too high or you have any other bright sources to interfere with the receptors in the glasses. So no dongles necessary. For the video card, you can acutally use the 6850 if you want for a lower cost and overclock, its the same family as the 6870, I just went a little overboard for future proofing and I am a lazy overclocker.
post #467 of 1760 Old 12-30-2010, 06:42 AM

Not to change the subject,but if I plan to use my H5360 with my Acer 5740 laptop that has Intel I3 and Intel HD graphics with Win7 and an external BluRay player, would this work for 3D ? I really don't want an all-out-pc just for 3D. Any help would be appreciated.
post #468 of 1760 Old 12-30-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricanmeng View Post
For the video card, you can acutally use the 6850 if you want for a lower cost and overclock, its the same family as the 6870, I just went a little overboard for future proofing and I am a lazy overclocker.
I'm using the 6850 and can't get it to work. I'm going to try a registry hack and see if that works. I think my problem is the 5360 is showing up as a generic monitor pnp and that's why 3D is not being forced to it. So I need to force it...my last effort before I go to a nvidia card...
post #469 of 1760 Old 12-30-2010, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

It is a set up problem, changing Vcard won't help, registry hack not necessary, yes the projector shows up as generic monitor when it is working normal.

Edit: theed, by latest drivers do you mean Latest drivers for 68xx, 6xxx, or just latest AMD driver? What driver are you using? Even the 10.12a hot fix driver reads as 10.11 in device manager so what driver did you load? Thanks
post #470 of 1760 Old 12-30-2010, 08:41 AM

Thread, do you have cCc 10.12? Also the latest powerdvd or Tmt 5?
post #471 of 1760 Old 12-30-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145 View Post
Edit: theed, by latest drivers do you mean Latest drivers for 68xx, 6xxx, or just latest AMD driver? What driver are you using? Even the 10.12a hot fix driver reads as 10.11 in device manager so what driver did you load? Thanks
I loaded the latest AMD Catalyst package 10.12, but now you've got me thinking, maybe there is a specific updated driver for the 6850. I'm going to the XFXforce site and look.

Yes, I have the latest TMT5 (trial), and PDVD Ultra Mark II purchased.
post #472 of 1760 Old 12-30-2010, 12:09 PM

Ctn - I have the dvi to hdmi cable going from the pc to projector with a hdmi coupler and another 15 ft hdmi cable attatched to cover the distance. I have the hdmi out going to an onkyo 1007 for the audio. I'll try switching to see what happens. Thanks
post #473 of 1760 Old 12-30-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:

-- That is the case with some of the newer 3D movies (and a lot of the "blockbuster" 2D movies), but it doesn't matter. You set up your H5360 for the maximum screen width for the 16:9 format. That is the best you can do. The old 4:3 format became obsolete for video when the HD "revolution" started over 10 years ago. Even the latest PC format is 16:10, rather than the old 4:3 format (although I still do have one 4:3 PC monitor).

IMHO, if you ever upgrade your screen, get a 16:9 one (that is my personal preference). Only the old movies are 4:3. I got rid of my 4:3 screen over 6 years ago. Any of my old movies are "pillar-boxed" (black bars on both sides of the image. All of the 2.35:1 (any movie over the 1.78:1 ratio of 16:9 movies) are "letter-boxed" (black bars on the top and bottom). I find that a 16:9 screen is the best compromise, at least for now (since that is the native size of all of the current HT PJs -- and flat panel HDTVs).

PS -- Only business and education venues still tend to stick with the 4:3 format (and some gaming systems). If that is your preference, then your 4:3 screen is fine. It just doesn't work well with movies, either 2D or 3D. The majority of movies have been filmed in a widescreen format (1.78:1 up to 2.45:1) since the 1960's.

Thanks for the detailed response.
My original idea was to get a 100" 16:9 screen. But got a good electric one, 120-inch 4:3 at an excellent price, and went for it...
post #474 of 1760 Old 12-30-2010, 09:06 PM

Well, not sure what correction I made, but it's finally looking great! Now the only weird thing is that I have to push the green button on the emitter for the 3d to come on... where before, if I click the enable 3d option on powerdvd it would automatically come on. It's an acceptable trade-off.
post #475 of 1760 Old 12-30-2010, 09:22 PM

Woohoo, I got it to work. I had to do a registry hack to force 3D--thanks Defiancecp. It now works great with TMT5, but stutters with PDVD10. I also tried Roxio's Cineplayer, and all that did was hang the computer.

My setup if you're wondering:
  • xfxforce Radeon 6850
  • AMD Dual Core 3mhz cpu
  • 2 gig ram
  • Windows 7 professional 64 bit
  • UltraClear DPLlink glasses ($50 a piece for 3)

I'm beginning to think that Windows 7 64 bit is the culprit for all the problems I've been having--maybe all the software players are 32 bit, but what do I know. The UltraClear glasses are pretty good, comfortable--easily fits a big head. Two gripes, there is some reflection from the frames inside the glasses, and they take small round batteries. I think I'm going to paint the area around the lens with flat black paint. I watched part of Christmas Carol with my son (he's 28, and I'm, well, a heck of a lot older) and we loved it. Definitely needs 3D. It's a dark movie, though, but we were amazed at how bright the image was anyway. I had the projector on a small table and filled up about 135" of my 144" screen. Tomorrow I'm going to hang this thing under my mits 3800 and fill the whole screen. I also go directly to the projector with a 20 foot hdmi cord, and an optical cord to my receiver from the builtin sound card and it's all good. I have to mute the sound on the projector though, as it plays there as well.

Okay, now I'm tasked with trying to get the sim 2D to 3D to work on the TMT5. I just couldn't get it to do anything but 2D--any suggestions?

It's late, I need to stop watching and hit the sack...tomorrow's going to be a long day
post #476 of 1760 Old 12-31-2010, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

maintman -- I went back to check your prior posts. Yes you had your GT430 hooked up backwards. In order to get it working correctly, you have to connect the HDMI output to your H5360 and use the DVI output (with a DVI to HDMI cable) to your AVR.

threed123 -- That's not unusual. There are a lot of software programs that do not work correctly with 64-bit OS (Windows or Linux -- I use both). Most of them were originally written under 32-bit OS and they just can't be patched to 64-bit. The software authors don't want to spend the time to entirely re-write the code for the 64-bit OS.

I bought both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7 (because I have both types of PCs in the house). Now I'm glad I did. I was going to install the 64-bit version in my new PC, but now I think I'll use the 32-bit instead.

BTW, Doesn't Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit, have a switch to allow for operation of a program in the 32-bit mode?

post #477 of 1760 Old 12-31-2010, 05:42 AM

Quote:
BTW, Doesn't Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit, have a switch to allow for operation of a program in the 32-bit mode?
Hey, I think you're right. I'm going to try that and see if it improves PDVD10.

I will say this, if it wasn't for this forum I would never be watching 3D period!

Happy New Year to everyone on this board!!!
post #478 of 1760 Old 12-31-2010, 08:29 AM

Okay, this is probably covered in another forum, and I will look, but has anyone been able to view 3D TV (e.g Comcast ESPN) on the Acer--if so, how? I see I can get this channel now where I live.
post #479 of 1760 Old 12-31-2010, 09:52 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Okay, this is probably covered in another forum, and I will look, but has anyone been able to view 3D TV (e.g Comcast ESPN) on the Acer--if so, how? I see I can get this channel now where I live.

The AVer3D CaptureHD card might be a solution. Uses Nvidia 3D vision also so its perfect for those using this method. I don't have a 3D HTPC built yet, but I'm looking into this card if I want to get TV channels in 3D.

http://www.avermedia.com/avertv/prod...il.aspx?id=499

For our experts here, is there any reason this might not work?
post #480 of 1760 Old 12-31-2010, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Woohoo, I got it to work. I had to do a registry hack to force 3D--thanks Defiancecp. It now works great with TMT5, but stutters with PDVD10. I also tried Roxio's Cineplayer, and all that did was hang the computer.

My setup if you're wondering:
  • xfxforce Radeon 6850
  • AMD Dual Core 3mhz cpu
  • 2 gig ram
  • Windows 7 professional 64 bit
  • UltraClear DPLlink glasses ($50 a piece for 3)

I'm beginning to think that Windows 7 64 bit is the culprit for all the problems I've been having--maybe all the software players are 32 bit, but what do I know. The UltraClear glasses are pretty good, comfortable--easily fits a big head. Two gripes, there is some reflection from the frames inside the glasses, and they take small round batteries. I think I'm going to paint the area around the lens with flat black paint. I watched part of Christmas Carol with my son (he's 28, and I'm, well, a heck of a lot older) and we loved it. Definitely needs 3D. It's a dark movie, though, but we were amazed at how bright the image was anyway. I had the projector on a small table and filled up about 135" of my 144" screen. Tomorrow I'm going to hang this thing under my mits 3800 and fill the whole screen. I also go directly to the projector with a 20 foot hdmi cord, and an optical cord to my receiver from the builtin sound card and it's all good. I have to mute the sound on the projector though, as it plays there as well.

Okay, now I'm tasked with trying to get the sim 2D to 3D to work on the TMT5. I just couldn't get it to do anything but 2D--any suggestions?

It's late, I need to stop watching and hit the sack...tomorrow's going to be a long day

Glad you got it working! Strange though, I'm using W7-64, 6970, PDVD10 and NO registry hack, PDVD10 smooth as butter in 3D.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page