Acer H5360 HD3D (DLP 1280x720) Video Projector - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1760 Old 01-12-2011, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
JOHNn--I know what you mean, but as much as I complain, I still like to get in there and tinker, tinker, tinker...I'm surprised that a better converter hasn't shown up in CES of the past week. Yeah, the 3DXL would make it all perfect--if it works, but early reports are so-so. Let's face it, we are where DVD was when Blockbuster was 95% filled with video tapes. Back then I was big into laser discs and for me that was HD to the max...probably where 3D is today compared to where it will be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1760 Old 01-13-2011, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys, took me some research to get my setup working so I thought I'd share my experience with some fellow Acer owners. I bought the h5360 chiefly for 3D content, I already own a Panny AE4000 which is amazing for 2D. To play 3D I'm using an ASUS n71jq-X1 laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 card and Total Media Theater 5 media player. OS is Win7 64bit. My Acer is set to DLP Link mode and I'm using Viewsonic glasses.
I've read plenty of comments in numerous forums about the ATI 5xxx series NOT being able to play 3D bluray but as you already know this isn't quite true, much to my relief!
Anyway, this is how I got it to work on my setup. For the sake of the less advanced users amongst us I'll try and be specific:

Install the latest Catalyst Control Center driver
- set the secondary display to 120hz 720p
- extend the displays

Install Daemon Tools Lite (it's free)

In TMT5 set 3D Viewing Environment to AMD HD3D (120hz). In 3D General Settings tag 'always play bluray 3D movie in 3D mode'. Also tag 'always play movies and video files in 3D mode'. Personally, I've set the depth perception to max but this is up to you.

Install the IZ3D driver
- set directX to enable stereo
- set exceptions to TMT5 exe (without this setting my TMT would continually freeze up)

Now you need to make some registry changes to ALL control sets, but only this particular class, as follows:
Open Regedit and navigate to -
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Control\\Class\\{ 4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\\0001
Add the following new Dword value -

REG_DWORD
DalForceStereoSupport
value = 1

Restart your pc.

Set your Acer projector as the primary display (important!)

I don't think this next step is absolutely necessary but you can download the free program 'Cyberlink DB & 3D Advisor' to check your new 3D Bluray capabilities. Every setting should pass.

Mount your bluray ISO in Daemon Tools.
Finally, open TMT5 and play your 3D bluray!
post #543 of 1760 Old 01-13-2011, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"Mount your bluray ISO in Daemon tools"

Can you elaborate some? Are playing the disc or some file generated from the disc?

I am not familure with Daemon tools at all. I guess I could google it.
post #544 of 1760 Old 01-13-2011, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Can you elaborate some? Are playing the disc or some file generated from the disc?

John,

I copied all my blu-ray movies (including 3D) to ISO file (about 40 gig for a disk). With a daemon tool, you can right click on the ISO file and mount it as a virtual DVD drive so that Power dvd or TMT can play it.

That way all my 3D collection can be stored downstairs away from the little fingers.

You retained all the feature of the disk (menu and all). Some people prefer to rip the disk to a mkv file to save space but I like to keep the entire disk structure.
post #545 of 1760 Old 01-13-2011, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt View Post

Install the IZ3D driver
- set directX to enable stereo
- set exceptions to TMT5 exe (without this setting my TMT would continually freeze up)

Now you need to make some registry changes to ALL control sets, but only this particular class, as follows:
Open Regedit and navigate to -
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Control\\Class\\{ 4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\\0001
Add the following new Dword value -

REG_DWORD
DalForceStereoSupport
value = 1

Thanks, I will need this procedure this weekend!

I thought IZ3D driver was only for games and I thought the registry change was only for Catalyst drivers earlier than 10.12??? Please confirm.
post #546 of 1760 Old 01-13-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks NK215

I really want to play from the disk.....

But, I have been dealing with Nvidia and 3D Vision for about 6 months now.

I want to try ATI without 3D Vision involved. My setup runs quirky at best.
post #547 of 1760 Old 01-13-2011, 03:41 PM

Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I hope you guys can help me...

I bought this projector and it's on its way. Should be here next week.

I already have Nvidia's 3D Kit. Been playing 3d games on my Alienware monitor.

But... I got this projector for my room. I was planning on a ceiling mount.

The thing is I'm planning on running it from my desktop PC which is a good 15 feet from the ceiling.

What kind of a cable extension will I need? Any ideas??

Thanks.
post #548 of 1760 Old 01-13-2011, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I'm assuming this projector has hdmi 1.3 right ? I wonder when we will see a 3D projector with hdmi 1.4 ? Then it might actually work with 3D Blu Ray players, etc, etc.

There are plenty of 3D projectors with HDMI 1.4, but they're a little pricier and are also full 1080p. The JVC 40 is an attractive price point with discounts (between 4 and 5K) whereas other options (the higher-end JVC, Sony ES etc) are pretty pricey.

Hopefully soon enough we'll have affordable HDMI 1.4 3D PJs at a variety of price levels that are also full 1080p. DLP would seem to be perfectly suited for 3D with instant on/off characteristics. Maybe in tandem with a dynamic polarizer ala RealD? At the very least, it shouldn't be hard for the Acer to be slightly redesigned (or firmware upgraded?) to communicate 1.4 protocols for 3D since they don't require anything that the HDMI 1.3 chipset can't already physically do.

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #549 of 1760 Old 01-13-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee View Post

Thanks, I will need this procedure this weekend!

I thought IZ3D driver was only for games and I thought the registry change was only for Catalyst drivers earlier than 10.12??? Please confirm.

I installed the IZ3D driver prior to modifying the registry so perhaps it's not an essential component. I'm not an expert at all so perhaps someone more versed in this area could answer your question. Of course you could always skip the IZ3D install and see what happens
I did run a diagnostics tool on IZ3D to check whether AQBS was supported on my card. Initially it stated that it was not supported. I then did the reg mod, rebooted, re-ran the diagnostics tool and AQBS was now supported and 3D was now working, which made me very happy
I have the 10.12 driver installed and still needed the hack, perhaps you are thinking of the 6xxxx series?
post #550 of 1760 Old 01-13-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:

NK215 summed it up pretty well but I will add that you should be able to convert any bluray's you have to ISO files using Nero. You can definitely do it with IMGburn.
Once you've created all of your ISO's then you don't need to handle the disks at all, they can collect dust on your shelves and remain in pristine condition
FYI, there are some good daemon tools tutorials on the web.
post #551 of 1760 Old 01-13-2011, 06:29 PM

I just ran across an iso mounter even cooler than daemon tools. WinCDEmu is free and after install just double click an iso to mount to the next available drive letter. To dismount, just double click the iso again or right click the drive letter and select "eject".
I use total commander so I have to press "shift", then double click the iso. No drive letters need be reserved. I'm just a happy user. There is even portable version.
post #552 of 1760 Old 01-13-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt View Post

I did run a diagnostics tool on IZ3D to check whether AQBS was supported on my card. Initially it stated that it was not supported. I then did the reg mod, rebooted, re-ran the diagnostics tool and AQBS was now supported and 3D was now working, which made me very happy

Thanks for the info. What diagnostic tool did you run to check AQBS. I assume I do need it for Bluray playback, yes??
post #553 of 1760 Old 01-13-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. What diagnostic tool did you run to check AQBS. I assume I do need it for Bluray playback, yes??

The tool is on the IZ3d driver. You can download the driver for free though most of the features are only available for a trial period, not sure how long. Anyway it's only $20 I think to purchase it?? I'd say you need it for bluray playback, what you are checking with this tool is whether your card supports stereoscopic 3D playback and bluray discs use this method.
One thing I forgot to mention in my initial post is that I could NOT get Power DVD 10 to work, it kept telling me that my player was not a 3D bluray player.
post #554 of 1760 Old 01-14-2011, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
The IZ3D driver is not necessary for BD or 3DBD playback in PDVD10. In fact I had to set an exception in the IZ3D driver rules to stop it from starting with PDVD10 3D. The IZ3D driver with all outputs (full Installation) is $20 if you have an AMD 5xxx or 6xxx (there is an online test http://www.iz3d.com/detect/ ) or free to test for 30 days. For this Acer projector use the 120Hz 3D Devices driver output. http://www.iz3d.com/select_download
Does not matter which 1 you choose here but select "Full Install" when you install it to get everything.
The free 3D DLP driver is NOT for this projector.
post #555 of 1760 Old 01-14-2011, 07:58 AM

What is the reg hack needed to get this to work?
post #556 of 1760 Old 01-14-2011, 08:50 AM

Bob7145
Thanks Bob. Is that reg fix also not needed because from all I've read the Iz3d driver and reg fix go together, although is it the reg fix that enables ABQS or in combination with the Iz3d driver or is it the reg fix in combination with the Catalyst driver?

I guess only trying will tell.
post #557 of 1760 Old 01-14-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmoth View Post

I was planning on a ceiling mount.

The thing is I'm planning on running it from my desktop PC which is a good 15 feet from the ceiling.

What kind of a cable extension will I need? Any ideas??

Thanks.

Just pick up a long HDMI or DVI-HDMI (depending on your video card) cable to run from the PC to the projector. I grabbed a 50' DVI-HDMI cable from monoprice to run from the PC in my office to the projector in my family room and it works great.

What are you planning to do for audio?
post #558 of 1760 Old 01-14-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bob7145
Thanks Bob. Is that reg fix also not needed because from all I've read the Iz3d driver and reg fix go together, although is it the reg fix that enables ABQS or in combination with the Iz3d driver or is it the reg fix in combination with the Catalyst driver?

I guess only trying will tell.

Hi, I have never used the reg hack! I think it was necessary before the Cat 10.12 driver? Anyway, I use an AMD 6970 card with Cat 10.12a and before that an AMD 5870.
I think I have a codec problem to sort in PDVD10 as the trailers at the beginning of movies are just audio with a solid green screen (no big loss ha ha). I just click the "next" button until the movie starts.
post #559 of 1760 Old 01-14-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:

Thanks NK215

I really want to play from the disk.....

But, I have been dealing with Nvidia and 3D Vision for about 6 months now.

I want to try ATI without 3D Vision involved. My setup runs quirky at best.

If you decided to sell your nVidia glass. let me know . As long as the glasses have a range of at least 15'. All my glasses (4) has a longer range ~20'. Only one has a range of around 10' (which was returned to newegg).
post #560 of 1760 Old 01-15-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:

Bob7145
Is that reg fix also not needed because from all I've read the Iz3d driver and reg fix go together, although is it the reg fix that enables ABQS or in combination with the Iz3d driver or is it the reg fix in combination with the Catalyst driver?

It was for me as prior to the reg edit my diagnostic report was stating that ABQS was not supported and stereoscopic 3D was not working for me, blurays would only output in anaglyph mode. After the edit, stereo 3D was working for me. It could very well depend on the individual card, some 5xxxx cards could support it out of the box whereas some won't, well that's my interpretation anyway.
My suggestion is that if you are unsure of any of the steps in my initial post then skip them, if it's still not working then you'll need to do them. It's a process of elimination I guess.
post #561 of 1760 Old 01-15-2011, 07:01 AM

I bought the projector and i couldnt be happier. The 3d is unbelievable and impressive.

I am experiencing a very annoying problem. It is brand new. After a couple of days the remote was getting less and less responcive. In the beggining i just opened it remove the battery and insert it again and it worked. Now the trick does not work anymore and the remote only works if i keep trying for 5 minutes (or more)

I tried a new battery on the remote but it still does not work.

I am so sad that I will have to rma it (i bought it online) because that means i will be without a pj for a couple of weeks.

Does anyone experience any similar problems?
post #562 of 1760 Old 01-15-2011, 08:08 AM

Alex_000:Do you have the battery in upside down? I did that at first. Also, I have to be about 3 feet away from the projector to get mine to work. Make sure the front edge with the IR window is pointed directly at the projector. Since it's an IR receiver, it only works with a straight line path. Make sure the receiver next to the lens is not covered in some way. I don't remember, but is there a plastic covering on either the remote or receiver that needs to be removed--check that out as well.

inefekt: My projector will not work unless I do the registry hack, though I have latest drivers and a Radeon 6850 card. That said, PDVD10 works but stutters alot, and TMT5 works great but hangs now and then or sometimes I need to reboot the computer several times as the TMT5 will go into a green screen and lock up the computer completely. I tried using the IZ3d drivers, but that made it even worse. I have an AMD quad core 3 mhz cpu, 2 gig ram and new MB. I'm think that intel is the way to go here, though, as others seem to have less problems that way.
post #563 of 1760 Old 01-15-2011, 08:35 AM

Was testing out my new Fuji W3 with still pics in the 3D Vision photo viewer last night. Just for kicks I tried flipping the projector to dlp mode with the nVidia still running and both glasses worked perfectly. I thought this wasn't supposed to work but it's good news for me because now I have 2 pair of working glasses.

I'm going to shoot some video today and will try it with the video player tonight.

By the way, this little W3 rocks!! Unbeievable pics at 140"

PS. Just wanted to thank threed and CT for your help in getting my mirror setup working. I ended up making a first surface mirror by stripping the back off a regular mirror. Then I built a ceiling mount to hold both the mirror and the pj. Works fantastic!
post #564 of 1760 Old 01-15-2011, 09:32 AM

Liked: 16
I just purchased this projector along with a htpc build. Everything has been shipped! I can't wait!

Here's what I'm getting:

Acer H5360
Nvidia 3D Kit
2 extra glasses

Silverstone GD04B case
Cooler Master Silent Pro M600
Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz
Intel BOXDH67GD LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX
Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) GC 768MB
Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC064MAG-1G1 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal SSD
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB DDR3
LG WH10LS30 10X Blu-ray Burner
IOGEAR GKM561R Black 2.4GHz Wireless HTPC Multimedia Keyboard
GIGABYTE GM-M7700 2.4GHz Wireless Laser 1600 dpi Mouse
AVS Gear GP-IR01BK MCE Black Remote Control
TotalMedia Theatre 5

I currently have an Infocus X10 that I will continue to use for 2D and a Elite 1.1 gain 125" 16:9 screen. I'm really looking forward to gaming in 3D and of course watching a few 3D movies. I have a media server with about 240 blueray movies that I will stream. I only have two 3d titles. I really wish you could rent them. Does anyone have any recommendation for movies or games?
post #565 of 1760 Old 01-15-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

Alex_000:Do you have the battery in upside down? I did that at first. Also, I have to be about 3 feet away from the projector to get mine to work. Make sure the front edge with the IR window is pointed directly at the projector. Since it's an IR receiver, it only works with a straight line path. Make sure the receiver next to the lens is not covered in some way. I don't remember, but is there a plastic covering on either the remote or receiver that needs to be removed--check that out as well.

thanks for the respoce.
* I don't have the battery upside down.
*I am trying from every distance possible from 1 inch away up to 10 feet away
*I am sure i am pointing the remote to the ir receiver on the projector correctly
*there is no interference or other objects in the way. I even took the pj in another room to try it
*the receiver is not covered
*I did not find any plastic that needs to be removed.

it still works randomly. Sometimes it doesnt work for 10 minutes and then it works normally for about 5 minutes untill its gone again!

It wouldnt be such an issue but i want to turn 3d on / off all the time because of the content i am watching.
post #566 of 1760 Old 01-15-2011, 09:50 AM

Liked: 13
I have been researching and following the Acer to set up 3D for gaming, movies and some occasional sports watching. I am thinking of pairing it with a nicer receiver that has video processing.

Is the 2D content that poor in quality? I know it is a lower priced projector, so I am not expecting the world, just wondering how poor is poor?
post #567 of 1760 Old 01-15-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I would not call it poor. It looks better than any 65" TV you can buy for $479!
post #568 of 1760 Old 01-15-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Does anyone know what the contrast ratios are in 2d and 3d. Does anyone use this pj a lot in 2d. I'm coming from an rs1 so I highly doubt I could be satisfied with the 2d contrast.

However I am very intrigued by the impressions, especially by members who have owned far more expensive pj's.

I also would have to invest in an htpc, but the thought of having the ability to play a ton of games in 3d right now is very appealing.

If I still had a pj for 2d would probably jump on this right now. But since I don't, I will most likely go the rs40 route to take care of everything. Trying to convince myself that I could tolerate the 2d picture on the Acer until 3d matures a bit more, but I have my doubts.
post #569 of 1760 Old 01-15-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_000 View Post

thanks for the respoce.
It wouldnt be such an issue but i want to turn 3d on / off all the time because of the content i am watching.

Yeah, time to get a new one. See if they will do a credit card exchange. In other words, they send you the new one and charge your credit card, then you send the bad one to them and they will credit the cost. I've done that twice in the past with Benq when I had a bad projector with them.
post #570 of 1760 Old 01-15-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

Does anyone know what the contrast ratios are in 2d and 3d. Does anyone use this pj a lot in 2d. I'm coming from an rs1 so I highly doubt I could be satisfied with the 2d contrast.

Although the dlplink does add a slight contrast washout, the images are close in contrast--to the point it doesn't matter to me, but then again, I have a 1080p to watch 2D. But when I do see 2D on the ACER it looks about the same. The unique thing about 3D is that the resolution appears to double in 3D versus 2D.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page