Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1760 Old 01-31-2011, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmas View Post

thanks so much.. would much rather go this route since i have zero experience building pcs!

Make sure you check out Dell's outlet store. For my HTPC picked up an Inspiron core i3 with 6GB RAM, 1TB, Win 7 64 for $480...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1760 Old 01-31-2011, 07:24 PM

Had 3 days to play with the projector and I love it so far. Best bang for the buck when my XR-20X projector bulb died, a $350 replacement. This is my third projector since 2004 and I have not noticed any RBE on any of them including this one. I had to move my mount up about a foot and will have to drill a new hole for all the wires (my wife hates me now) so that the picture can fit my pull down screen. I'm no video expert but the picture kicks ass with no tweaking. Only thing I did was turn on eco and movie mode.
For your average consumer this fits the bill. I know there are better projectors out there but not at the newegg sale price. Great buy for your average consumer. Makes those 55 inch 3D tv's look like overpriced paper weights. I also have no complaints from the biggest critic in my house; my wife.
post #723 of 1760 Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just set this projector up as well and I must say, THIS THING KICKS BUTT FOR 3D.
I have a benq-5000 for 2d and this one for 3d. I am very close to nervana now!

If anyone is till having doubts, don't, this little guy will blow you away! The best bang for the buck I ever spent for my theater, period.

Thanks to everyone that recomended this projector!
post #724 of 1760 Old 01-31-2011, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post

The best bang for the buck I ever spent for my theater, period.

I am hearing this more an more.

Why am I waiting? Because I don't have a 2d only projector. I'm torn between getting the rs40, which will satisfy both 3d and 2d viewing, or the Acer, which is excellent in 3d, yet lacking in 2d. If I go the Acer route, I will probable end up needing a 2d only pj. Being that I came from an RS1, my 2d standards are a bit high.

The total absence of ghosting (#1 issue of all other 3d displays) of the Acer is what is keeping me from deciding on the rs40. I still may just go with the rs40, but isn't it amazing that a $550 pj is making my decision so tough?
post #725 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
johnsmith808 -- You are confusing me. I gather that you sold your RS1? Otherwise you wouldn't be 2D PJ-less. BTW, some AVS members are having problems with the RS40 -- image quality issues (see all 3 RS model threads). One member returned his, defective, RS40 and replaced it with a RS50, because (in part) a replacement RS40 was not available.

I was planning on upgrading my existing 2D PJ (a 2008, Mitsubishi HC5500) next year. I decided to get the H5360, now, instead (for 3D). I will wait for another 2 years, before considering any further upgrades.

If you did sell your RS1, then you really do have a problem. Good luck in deciding what to do. Remember, you have to get more than just the H5360 for 3D operation. Adding all the other parts needed (in my case, video card, BD drive, and playback software, plus the glasses kit) almost doubled the total price. Only the price of the needed glasses and emitter are, roughly, common (price-wise).

If nothing but JVC type 2D quality is important to you, then getting a RS40 or RS50 is likely the better cost trade-off. But it is a tough choice.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #726 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post
I just set this projector up as well and I must say, THIS THING KICKS BUTT FOR 3D.
I have a benq-5000 for 2d and this one for 3d. I am very close to nervana now!

If anyone is till having doubts, don't, this little guy will blow you away! The best bang for the buck I ever spent for my theater, period.

Thanks to everyone that recomended this projector!
If you want some entertainment go to this link and follow the links in posts 309, 316, and 318. This is not to say the Sonys and JVCs aren't great projectors, but it does say there are very cost effective alternatives out there that make a lot of sense. I guess there's a fine line between "trolling" and transparency that lends itself to censorship. Hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil.

see links in posts 309, 316 & 318

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...286043&page=11
post #727 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post
I am hearing this more an more.

Why am I waiting? Because I don't have a 2d only projector. I'm torn between getting the rs40, which will satisfy both 3d and 2d viewing, or the Acer, which is excellent in 3d, yet lacking in 2d. If I go the Acer route, I will probable end up needing a 2d only pj. Being that I came from an RS1, my 2d standards are a bit high.

The total absence of ghosting (#1 issue of all other 3d displays) of the Acer is what is keeping me from deciding on the rs40. I still may just go with the rs40, but isn't it amazing that a $550 pj is making my decision so tough?
Yes we all have high standards and I to just came from an RS-1 and really
don't miss it! Did I just say that?. The only thing the RS-1 was better at was black levels which I do miss but not enough to run 2 projectors and I don't miss the RS-1 blur factor or lag. Now that bothered my eye's. I prefer the Acer on sporting events and have no rainbows on any content.

I think for most people who buy this projector there is no need for a
second unless the search for inky blacks is still on your mind and that
can be helped with choice of screen.

What the Acer seems to do right is eye popping color,great depth, in 2D
minus the blacks which are good enough for most and in 3D with Nvidia solution and TMT 3D as people have said AMAZING

For my setup a 120" screen painted ultra white,pearlesent,silver sitting
11.5 feet away and no screen door effect. I will get my screen tomorrow model C 120" HP but don't half to have it. Can't wait to test it though as
I have read improved blacks,sharpness, and 3D effect! We will see about
that.

I would say that this projector will hold me over for awhile and makes it
tough to ever spend more that 500.00 again.

Specialize in maximizing performance on a beer budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #728 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 10:02 AM

Getting this projector next week and was wondering if there is any workaround for it to work with a PS3? Since it's a dlp can I just use the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 3D Adapter Pack with some Optoma or Viewsonic glasses?
post #729 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 AM

I currently own an Infocus X1 with over 4000 hours on the bulb and color issues, too. I am looking to upgrade and am not that interested in 3D. How is the 2D on the Acer? I will be using it for mostly Xbox, Netflix, and the occasional blu-ray disk. Is it worth spending another $600 on the Mitsu 4000 or Epson 8350 vs. the Acer?

Also, will the Acer work with a 7' ceiling, ceiling mounted at 14.5 feet from the screen? I have very dark green walls with a white ceiling.

Thanks,

Blake
post #730 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illdude View Post

Getting this projector next week and was wondering if there is any workaround for it to work with a PS3? Since it's a dlp can I just use the Mitsubishi 3DA-1 3D Adapter Pack with some Optoma or Viewsonic glasses?

No, the Mitsubishi Pack will only work with the Mitsubishi RPTV (because the Mits uses the obsolete "Checkerboard" format - it's not used by anyone else, AFIK). It's also not used with any 3D displays that were made within the last year.

You need to use either the Nvidia 3D system or the (soon to be released Optoma 3D-XL or Viewsonic) DLP-Link system. Sorry, you are going to have to get a new 3D system. For 3D with the H5360, you need to run it in the 720p, 120Hz mode, which both of these systems have.

post #731 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg1292 View Post

Yes we all have high standards and I to just came from an RS-1 and really
don't miss it! Did I just say that?...
I would say that this projector will hold me over for awhile....

Wow, now that is pretty amazing. I never even considered that Acer for 2d. Interesting. I probably would really miss the black level in 2d, but if that would probably only come up in movies I have watched to death (Dark Knight, Lord of the Rings, etc). Did you watch Inception on the Acer?

I really am having seconds thought on the rs40 due to ghosting, especially while gaming. Seems like the higher the frame rate of the source material, the more likely ghosting will occur for that.

CT- When I sold my RS1 back in October, I pre-ordered the RS40 with the intention of using it for 2D only. Little did I know I would catch 3D fever even before getting it. Now I am wondering how much 2d picture quality is worth if 3D is what will really provide the excitement.
post #732 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 12:14 PM

I don't see many people here discussing (new generation) ATI cards for 3D movie & gaming in combination with DLP-link glasses. Is the nvidia 3D vision solution that much better? I'm planning on equipping my HTPC with a HD6850 for 3D gaming on the Acer. This should do the same job with DLP-link glasses right? Any thoughts?
post #733 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
AMD works well for me. IZ3D 120Hz driver for gaming with this projector. Just the IZ3D driver and DLP glasses is all you need and it works with XP operating system too! 5xxx AMD cards also work in 3D.
post #734 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Wow, now that is pretty amazing. I never even considered that Acer for 2d. Interesting. I probably would really miss the black level in 2d, but if that would probably only come up in movies I have watched to death (Dark Knight, Lord of the Rings, etc). Did you watch Inception on the Acer?

I really am having seconds thought on the rs40 due to ghosting, especially while gaming. Seems like the higher the frame rate of the source material, the more likely ghosting will occur for that.

CT- When I sold my RS1 back in October, I pre-ordered the RS40 with the intention of using it for 2D only. Little did I know I would catch 3D fever even before getting it. Now I am wondering how much 2d picture quality is worth if 3D is what will really provide the excitement.

For me, I was quite satisified with the 2D performance of my 50" Sony A3000! I know, I should get laughed off of this forum!

Main reason that I wanted to upgrade was 3D. It was stunning on the Panny plasma I saw. I had to have it. Thats where I really wanted a bigger screen. The Acer made it an easy choice:

No Ghosting: Check!
No Flicker: Check!
Brighness: Brigher than anything under 10K that does 3D!

But the 2D performance was a bonus. Was really surprised. I used to look for blacks in movies. Now I find myself looking for bright scenes. Watched "The Island", and it was mesmerising. LCOS tech (on my Sony TV) just can't do brights scenes like this single chip DLP can. It has really changed my perspective.

As for the Dark Knight, just watched that. On the non-imax scenes, yes the blacks could be a bit darker. For the imax scenes, blacks levels didn't even matter, the image was great. So the higher quality the content, the better the blacks look (perception wise).
post #735 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Blake7 -- I haven't fired up my H5360 yet, so I can't tell you how good it is for 2D. It depends on how sensitive you are to RBE. However, it shouldn't be any worse than your Infocus.

The most important factor is: how big is your screen? The H5360 has a lot shorter throw ratio than the X1 (a relatively long throw PJ). Therefore, the H5360 will have a much larger image for the same PJ to screen distance.

The X1 has a 1.89 to 2.27 throw ratio compared to the 1.55 to 1.70 for the H5360. This means that, at 14' 6", you need a 118" to 129" diagonal screen. For the X1, at 14' 6" your screen size is between 96" and 115" diagonal. Therefore, you will, most likely, have to move your mount closer to your screen.

For example, if you have a 106" screen, that's about the mid-zoom range for the X1 (at 14' 6"). For the same size screen, you would need to move the mount to about 12' 6" from the screen.

Your 7' ceiling height should not be a problem. The offset of the H5360 is actually slightly less than the X1 (for the same screen size). This means that you will have some added freedom in the mounting height of the H5360 (PJ to ceiling can be larger). Also, the H5360 (3.1 x 10.6 x 7.6 -- H, W, D) is physically smaller than your X1 (4.2 x 9.8 x 12.5 -- H, W, D), and you will likely have to change your mount (unless it's a universal one).

All of this information is from the Projector Central Calculator Pro tables:
- X1 = http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFo...ulator-pro.htm,
- H5360 = http://www.projectorcentral.com/Acer...ulator-pro.htm.
NOTE: The table for the H5360 does not show the offset distance (= 13.2% of image height). The offset for the X1 is 15% of image height.

post #736 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I know this pj has auto keystone correction. Would it be a problem if I had the pj pretty much mounted at the center of the screen and tilted it? Would that amount of keystone cause a visible reduction in sharpness?

I'm using a High Power screen so wanted to preserve gain as much as possible.
post #737 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
[quote=johnsmith808;19932458]Wow, now that is pretty amazing. I never even considered that Acer for 2d. Interesting. I probably would really miss the black level in 2d, but if that would probably only come up in movies I have watched to death (Dark Knight, Lord of the Rings, etc). Did you watch Inception on the Acer?

I did watch dark Knight and Lord of the rings ans was pleased with the results. I use MPC for 2D and frame doubling script and won't be switching
until someone comes out with 1080P 3D DLP 899.00 and then only maybe.

Specialize in maximizing performance on a beer budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #738 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know this pj has auto keystone correction. Would it be a problem if I had the pj pretty much mounted at the center of the screen and tilted it? Would that amount of keystone cause a visible reduction in sharpness?

With the HP screen, you are much better off mounting the H5360 near or below the bottom of the HP screen. Mounting it at screen center, is not what the HP screen needs (I don't know where that misconception came from).

For maximum gain, the best PJ position, for the HP screen, is near eye height. The retro-reflective nature of the screen is that it reflects light back towards the source (= zero viewing angle). Any deviation will reduce the screen brightness (30 degrees off, included angle, reduces the brightness by 50%). I don't know how big your screen is.

Mounting the H5360 with the lens at screen center will give you an excessive amount of keystone adjustment. For instance, with my 106" screen, the ideal mounting is 6.8" below the bottom of the screen (zero keystone, and just below my eye height). At screen center it would be 32.8" off of ideal (or around 15 degrees of keystone, almost half of the maximum keystone adjustment range). This can cut the screen brightness by around 25%, or more (depending on where your screen center is relative to your eyes). It can also have a serious effect on the quality of the image.

post #739 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmani View Post

I don't see many people here discussing (new generation) ATI cards for 3D movie & gaming in combination with DLP-link glasses. Is the nvidia 3D vision solution that much better? I'm planning on equipping my HTPC with a HD6850 for 3D gaming on the Acer. This should do the same job with DLP-link glasses right? Any thoughts?

Check out my post from yesterday. I just built a new HTPC with the ATI 6850 & DLP link glasses. Download the newest Catalyst CC, download the IZ3D driver for gaming (turn off AV during install and you may have to do the regedit), and either PDVD10 or TMT5 for BD 3D movies. 3D is awesome in both gaming and BD movies. It will blow you away.

And 2D on this unit is great (even just projecting on a painted wall). While the projector is native 720p, it can accept both 1080i & 1080p inputs, and scales pretty well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Schmidt Haus Theater (Temporarily on hold - obamanomics :-)

post #740 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

schmidtwi -- Slight correction, the 1080i/1080p image is down-scaled (to 720p), not up-scaled. Down-scaling is much easier to do, than up-scaling (it's just throwing away pixels).

post #741 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

Mounting the H5360 with the lens at screen center will give you an excessive amount of keystone adjustment. For instance, with my 106" screen, the ideal mounting is 6.8" below the bottom of the screen (zero keystone, and just below my eye height). At screen center it would be 32.8" off of ideal (or around 15 degrees of keystone, almost half of the maximum keystone adjustment range). This can cut the screen brightness by around 25%, or more (depending on where your screen center is relative to your eyes). It can also have a serious effect on the quality of the image.

I'll have the acer about 10'10" from the screen for a 92" screen calculted on the projection calc. website. I do not see how far from the ceiling I am supposed to mount it. How can I calculate that?
post #742 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake7 View Post

I Also, will the Acer work with a 7' ceiling, ceiling mounted at 14.5 feet from the screen? I have very dark green walls with a white ceiling.

Yes, I have a 7.5' ceiling and have the projector mounted 16' for 144" screen. It's tilted up and keystoned -3 and works fine.
post #743 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With the HP screen, you are much better off mounting the H5360 near or below the bottom of the HP screen. Mounting it at screen center, is not what the HP screen needs (I don't know where that misconception came from).

For maximum gain, the best PJ position, for the HP screen, is near eye height. The retro-reflective nature of the screen is that it reflects light back towards the source (= zero viewing angle). Any deviation will reduce the screen brightness (30 degrees off, included angle, reduces the brightness by 50%). I don't know how big your screen is.

I think our mis-information (at least mine) is coming from the projector calculator at projectorcentral.com . It does not show an offset for this projector and implies that it should be centered on the screen. I know/knew this was an oddity for a DLP machine but I took it at face value.

This throws a new kink in my intended setup. My whole living room setup is based on the projector being more or less centered on the screen from a shelf across the room between two windows. I guess it's better I find out now than after I had purchased one. It's a wonder I haven't already but I'm waiting for the Optoma box so I haven't.

Man... What a letdown. Now I don't know what to do. Punt, I guess.

HDTV in my home since 1999.
post #744 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

How high is your ceiling? If you low mount the projector, then the best would be on a table or shelf just above head height or lower and mounted right-side up. If mounted upside down,then you want to be higher to the ceiling to avoid too much keystone. I would not go more than -5 keystone as the unit will scale all keystoning and you start defeating the 1280x720 resolution. That said if close to ceiling mounted (upside down) your HP screen 2.5 gain will diminish to about 1.5-1.8 which is still respectible considering how bright the projector is. Don't go anal here is my recommendation. if you have a good step ladder then do what us tinkerers do and mount it on the high step of the ladder to see how it's going to look. If okay, then permanently mount it to the ceiling--and yes I've had a HP with a ceiling mount and it was fine. I now have a 144" DIY screen I painted with 1.3 gain paint and it's fine with the projector too (my own little IMAX)...
post #745 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there even a such thing as a 720p/3D-Ready DLP projector that has lens shift? I don't recall ever seeing a DLP with lens shift w/o getting up in to the really high-dollar stuff.

CRAP!

HDTV in my home since 1999.
post #746 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks CT.
post #747 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 04:10 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtwi View Post

Check out my post from yesterday. I just built a new HTPC with the ATI 6850 & DLP link glasses. Dowload the newest Catalyst CC, download the IZ3D driver for gaming (turn off AV during install and you may have to do the regedit), and either PDVD10 or TMT5 for BD 3D movies. 3D is awesome in both gaming and BD movies. It will blow you away.

Is there anything special you had to do to get PDVD10 to play in 3D mode? I have almost the same setup (Radeon 6850 and DLP Link glasses). I can play 3D bluray in TMT5, but the video stutters a little. I downloaded PDVD10 to see if it would work better, but the only 3D mode that seems to work is anaglyph.

BenQ W1070 | Denon AVR-3313CI | Samsung PN51E7000 Plasma | HTPC
post #748 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmani View Post

If you have an AMD 5xxx or 6xxx go here for 50% off the iZ3D driver package -> http://www.iz3d.com/detect/
This projector uses the 120Hz driver but you get all 12 drivers with the download, select full install when you get that far.

Also 30 day free trial at iZ3D -> http://www.iz3d.com/select_download
post #749 of 1760 Old 02-01-2011, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

A little imagination will solve those placement problems. My HP screen is hung from my ceiling. I got some chains and just adjusted the height of the screen to my projector. The projector is ceiling mounted from a mount with an extension to allow the projector to hang from the ceiling about 18" above my head, when in a seated position, to retain the screen's gain. The projector is tilted just slightly upwards so the image fits the screen (auto keystoning works well). I could have lowered the screen a little more so no keystoning would have been necessary; however, the screen would then interfere with my fairly tall centre speaker.
post #750 of 1760 Old 02-02-2011, 12:27 AM

Thanks for the remarks about using ATI cards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by illdude View Post

I'll have the acer about 10'10" from the screen for a 92" screen calculted on the projection calc. website. I do not see how far from the ceiling I am supposed to mount it. How can I calculate that?

This can be calculated using this tool on the Acer website. After inputting your screen dimensions, subtract H1 from H2. This will give you the difference between the center of the lens and the beginning of the screen at the given distance.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page