Acer H5360 HD3D (DLP 1280x720) Video Projector - Page 50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1471 of 1760 Old 12-13-2011, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow that's not much use before having a failure, did you look at the pics I linked and comfirm you had stuck mirrors?

Did it overheat? That can cause the mirrors to stick from what I've read. Overall doesn't seem to be a huge problem with DLPs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1760 Old 12-14-2011, 08:31 PM

I'm having problems when I enable the option to 120hz(1280 X 720) on windows. The image is not perfect, very noisy. What can be?

My VGA is a gtx560
post #1473 of 1760 Old 12-15-2011, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljfe View Post

Please let us know if you are able to clean the dust off the lens! A bunch of us just bought this projector and are worried about running into the same thing.

Well I went as far as taking off the 2 cover layers but I dare not venture beyond that. Seems if I want to get to the DMD chip, I will need to take out practially 75% of the unit. So I blew are in all available open spaces I can find. It did not help a damn thing. Good news is, it still remained at 9 white dots but I think the black ones increased. Shame. And Acer seems to be useless in terms of where to send me for a repair. I think this may be the last acer PJ product for me, EVER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DNewb View Post

Wow that's not much use before having a failure, did you look at the pics I linked and comfirm you had stuck mirrors?

Did it overheat? That can cause the mirrors to stick from what I've read. Overall doesn't seem to be a huge problem with DLPs.

Just to be clear, the bulb is fine. It has only 193 hours on it. That never blew out. I'm having issues with (what I believe to be) the DMD chip. I will follow-up on 3DNewb's suggestion. In the meantime, I will continue using this when testing my HTPC.
post #1474 of 1760 Old 12-15-2011, 08:35 AM

so did dust buildup most likely cause this guys?
post #1475 of 1760 Old 12-15-2011, 09:01 AM

Liked: 15
It shouldn't be dust.

I opened up my PJ twice in the last week to clean the inner components. The OB is practically dust proof. I even saw the DMD chip and it was flawless, so I didn't touch it. It didn't have a single speck of dust on it. And the way its setup, there really is no place for the dust to get in there.

So I think its the DMD chip, but Texas Instruments warranties it for 5 years.
post #1476 of 1760 Old 12-15-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

wow nice. I have a couple random questions. should I bother using canned air at all? also how do you clean lens? it seems like whatever piece of cloth I use leaves behind marks, is that typical?

I haven't bothered hitting it with any canned air, haven't seen a need for it yet. And I also haven't seen any need to clean the lens either.

Do people actually clean their lenses on a regular basis? This is my second projector (over 8000 hours on the bulb in my Benq W500 which is still working), and I've never found a reason to clean the lens. As long as you don't touch it then I don't think it really needs cleaning. I guess it might develop a bit of dust build up, but I'd probably just use compressed air to blow that off... Oh, and the projector has 2220 hours on it right now.
post #1477 of 1760 Old 12-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier1 View Post

It shouldn't be dust.

I opened up my PJ twice in the last week to clean the inner components. The OB is practically dust proof. I even saw the DMD chip and it was flawless, so I didn't touch it. It didn't have a single speck of dust on it. And the way its setup, there really is no place for the dust to get in there.

So I think its the DMD chip, but Texas Instruments warranties it for 5 years.

yeah, I heard that. has anyone found some kind of channel to follow to see if TI can take care of it? From their announcement, it sounds like the manufacturer needs to be "participate" in the program to be eligible? If so, does that mean I have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the DMD is the problem before contacting Acer? They wouldn't even do the work since it's out of warranty...
post #1478 of 1760 Old 12-16-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetPreacher View Post

I haven't bothered hitting it with any canned air, haven't seen a need for it yet. And I also haven't seen any need to clean the lens either.

Do people actually clean their lenses on a regular basis? This is my second projector (over 8000 hours on the bulb in my Benq W500 which is still working), and I've never found a reason to clean the lens. As long as you don't touch it then I don't think it really needs cleaning. I guess it might develop a bit of dust build up, but I'd probably just use compressed air to blow that off... Oh, and the projector has 2220 hours on it right now.

sounds good...i'm really banking that i get 2k hours out of this thing myself. i'm going to use it as much as possible in the first year so if something happens it's still covered by the warranty. yeah i accidentally touched the lens while focusing it and then proceeded to make a tiny scratch while wiping it with a few different cloths. i won't do that again lol.
post #1479 of 1760 Old 12-16-2011, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

So much for not buying another Acer...

So after my relentless search and my itch to get a 3D replacement for the Christmas break, I decided to buy another h5360. Why?

- when the PJ worked, it really worked. Awesome quality in 3D! never complained
- 459.99 on newegg (with -50 coupon)
- since I saved with the coupon, i opted for the 2yr extended warranty. That should cover me for my next DMD break.
- I also now have an extra lamp from my previous one should this one blow-out

I did think about the HD33 but now we're talking 2k+ between the two purchases not to mention the fact I already have an RS1 for 2D viewing. I figure I'm going to get at least another 2 good years out of this new one. So I should be good and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that if something breaks, they'll both break after 3-4 years and I'll just replace them with 1 new one.
post #1480 of 1760 Old 12-16-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdavinci View Post

So after my relentless search and my itch to get a 3D replacement for the Christmas break, I decided to buy another h5360. Why?

- since I saved with the coupon, i opted for the 2yr extended warranty. That should cover me for my next DMD break.

I did think about the HD33 but now we're talking 2k+ between the two purchases not to mention the fact I already have an RS1 for 2D viewing. I figure I'm going to get at least another 2 good years out of this new one. So I should be good and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that if something breaks, they'll both break after 3-4 years and I'll just replace them with 1 new one.

you got another when it failed on you after how many hours?
post #1481 of 1760 Old 12-16-2011, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

you got another when it failed on you after how many hours?

Yeah.
How do I know it wasn't part of a bad batch? How do I know it was just the 16 months and not the 200 hrs? If I can use it more and get it to go the full 16 months again, I'm covered with the warranty. It also gives me more time to deal with the broken one in terms of pursuing both Acer and TI regarding this issue.
post #1482 of 1760 Old 12-18-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:

Yeah.
How do I know it wasn't part of a bad batch? How do I know it was just the 16 months and not the 200 hrs? If I can use it more and get it to go the full 16 months again, I'm covered with the warranty. It also gives me more time to deal with the broken one in terms of pursuing both Acer and TI regarding this issue.

I don't know what you mean about more time to deal with the broken one. I agree that it could have been a bad batch or something. And I am doing the same thing, using it a ton during the first year and hope I at least am covered that entire year by a working projector.
post #1483 of 1760 Old 12-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Is the newegg one the 5360BD? I'm lost.

Jim
Mow, fertilize, and properly water the grass and it will grow a nice deep green!
post #1484 of 1760 Old 12-18-2011, 04:01 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I think you made a good decision. Most here have had their Acer running for quite a few hours without issue. I'm at 1 year now and have no complaints.

And the best part is you could harvest all the parts from your old PJ incase the new one experiences any problem after warranty runs out. You can use the lens, motherboard, lamp, remote, color wheel, fans... etc.
post #1485 of 1760 Old 12-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier1 View Post

I think you made a good decision. Most here have had their Acer running for quite a few hours without issue. I'm at 1 year now and have no complaints.

And the best part is you could harvest all the parts from your old PJ incase the new one experiences any problem after warranty runs out. You can use the lens, motherboard, lamp, remote, color wheel, fans... etc.

Actually, I never thought too much into those details (other than the lamp) but you're right. Still waiting. It should be arriving tomorrow.
post #1486 of 1760 Old 12-20-2011, 07:17 PM

Just ordered one. I wasn't sure if the Acer k330 led was bright enough.

I will use it for presentation about 4 times a year for work . The rest as a TV at home, maybe 20 hrs a month.
post #1487 of 1760 Old 12-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Just powered up the H5360 for the first time.

The Main menu for installation comes up fine but cannot access
the sub-menus from the E key.

Held it for several seconds and no response. At the moment I haven't provided a video signal over HDMI as yet, so does it ignore the Empower key
until it has video before making the other adjustments accessible?

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
post #1488 of 1760 Old 12-21-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtVideo View Post

Just powered up the H5360 for the first time.

The Main menu for installation comes up fine but cannot access
the sub-menus from the E key.

Held it for several seconds and no response. At the moment I haven't provided a video signal over HDMI as yet, so does it ignore the Empower key
until it has video before making the other adjustments accessible?

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

yes it needs a signal before you can get to the other menus
post #1489 of 1760 Old 12-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwp View Post

yes it needs a signal before you can get to the other menus

Thanks Jeff, got the cabling run this morning and now have the menus.

I noticed in the IMAGE menu though a few options are missing:

V.Position
H.Position
Tracking
Frequency

Are those available in your menu?
post #1490 of 1760 Old 12-24-2011, 01:45 AM

Quote:

Thanks Jeff, got the cabling run this morning and now have the menus.

I noticed in the IMAGE menu though a few options are missing:

V.Position
H.Position
Tracking
Frequency

Are those available in your menu?

check the manual as some inputs disable some options. cheers.jeff
post #1491 of 1760 Old 12-24-2011, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwp View Post

check the manual as some inputs disable some options. cheers.jeff

Yes, I saw that notation on page 19 but it stated that those were disabled
for DVI and Video connections. I am using HDMI, so I still haven't discovered why those options are missing. The Acer site doesn't show any firmware updates either.

Thanks for the reply just the same.
post #1492 of 1760 Old 12-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Yes, I saw that notation on page 19 but it stated that those were disabled
for DVI and Video connections. I am using HDMI, so I still haven't discovered why those options are missing. The Acer site doesn't show any firmware updates either.

Thanks for the reply just the same.

Those are analog settings. HDMI = DVI = digital
post #1493 of 1760 Old 01-02-2012, 10:06 AM

Hi guys,

booted up my H5360 there for the first time in 2 months. All was well for the first 10 minutes, then I noticed a burning plastic smell and a dark blob in the middle of the screen that grew huge. Turned off the projector and disassembled it to see what was going on. What I found was the concave lens used to focus the light inside the projector was badly melted.

I have indeed opened the projector in the past and cleaned out dust blobs, and I would have accepted that this was all my caused by my mishandling of the projector had I not gotten ~500+ hours out of it since its last disassembly. In total the projector has 3050 hours used.

Only explanation I can think is that the fans got an extra coating of dust in these last 2 months of inactivity that pushed the temperature past the threshold for nuclear meltdown... although the area I had it stored in was relatively dust free.

Anyways I just wanted to offer this up as a cautionary tale because had I fallen asleep with the projector on (it happens!) those fumes could have been very dangerous and there might have been a risk of a fire-- you can't depend on the projector's High-temperature auto-shut off function to protect you or your equipment.
post #1494 of 1760 Old 01-11-2012, 03:39 PM

So, I know I'm late to the party....but I just got my H5360 hooked up last night. Its my first time using a projector!

My uses are 70% PC gaming 20% XBOX, and 10% movies. And much of the PC gaming will be done with 3D Vision.

But I've hit a problem already. I'm planning to use DLP link glasses (already have a pair of the Optimas) and I do not have a 3D Vision kit. I already sepnt the $40 for the 3DTV Play software which should serve the same purpose (the key which unlocks 3D Vision). Problem is, when I install 3DTV Play software, it won't even let me put in my license key info...stating "A 3D TV could not be found".

The nVidia control panel correctly identifies my H5360, and I can run it at 120Hz....both of which indicate to me that it should be working fine, so I'm a bit miffed. Any ideas?

*** note *** Right now, when I try to enable 3D Vision in the nVidia control panel, the only option is for "3D Vision Discover".
LL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1495 of 1760 Old 01-11-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

The 5360 is not HDMI 1.4 compatible. 1.4 devices (mostly 3D flat panel displays) "announce" they are 3D capable. This feature wasn't around when this Acer was made. That is what their newer model does. For this model, it is full 3D Vision compatible, meaning it will work on 3D Vision, not 3DTV Play. However you may need to get the 3D Vision kit (glasses and emitter) to make that work. I've tried and it does work (I have two of these projectors.) BTW, I have an extra 3D Vision kit I got for my son's PC but he never has used it. PM me if you might be interested in buying that from me @ a discount.
post #1496 of 1760 Old 01-11-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miahallen View Post

So, I know I'm late to the party....but I just got my H5360 hooked up last night. Its my first time using a projector!

My uses are 70% PC gaming 20% XBOX, and 10% movies. And much of the PC gaming will be done with 3D Vision.

But I've hit a problem already. I'm planning to use DLP link glasses (already have a pair of the Optimas) and I do not have a 3D Vision kit. I already sepnt the $40 for the 3DTV Play software which should serve the same purpose (the key which unlocks 3D Vision). Problem is, when I install 3DTV Play software, it won't even let me put in my license key info...stating "A 3D TV could not be found".

The nVidia control panel correctly identifies my H5360, and I can run it at 120Hz....both of which indicate to me that it should be working fine, so I'm a bit miffed. Any ideas?

*** note *** Right now, when I try to enable 3D Vision in the nVidia control panel, the only option is for "3D Vision Discover".

try 120hz on the vid card-dlp link 3d on the PJ--dlp 3d output format on your soft ware player.
having the pj set to 120hz and the pj set to dlplink 3d and the right output on your player should get you started.
I use the 3d vision kit on a viewsonic.so im just trying to help but not positive about any thing.

(fifth element)
post #1497 of 1760 Old 01-11-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemav View Post

The 5360 is not HDMI 1.4 compatible. 1.4 devices (mostly 3D flat panel displays) "announce" they are 3D capable. This feature wasn't around when this Acer was made. That is what their newer model does. For this model, it is full 3D Vision compatible, meaning it will work on 3D Vision, not 3DTV Play. However you may need to get the 3D Vision kit (glasses and emitter) to make that work. I've tried and it does work (I have two of these projectors.) BTW, I have an extra 3D Vision kit I got for my son's PC but he never has used it. PM me if you might be interested in buying that from me @ a discount.

Oh crap.....and I thought I did my homework before purchasing.....but going back I see you're 100% correct

YGPM

@ eat meat - thats one of the things I already tried....thanks though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1498 of 1760 Old 01-12-2012, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
At one point in time (this past summer?) there was a utility to get around the requirement of having the nVidia emitter plugged into a USB port to enable the nVidia driver. Not sure it's still available or whether nVidia disabled it on later driver sets, but you might want to look into it. Otherwise, you will need at least the emitter to get started.
post #1499 of 1760 Old 01-14-2012, 04:28 AM

Ah yes, I found the USB emulator last night and it worked like a charm...3D Vision working fine.....then this morning, nothing?!?

EDID corruption problem. Working with PwrStrip to try to get the override complete now.

post #1500 of 1760 Old 01-14-2012, 07:02 AM

PM me if anyone is interested. Selling mine and the nvidia 3d vision kit (3 glasses total) for pretty much the price of the projector.

Less than 200 hours on it. Hit me up. Thanks!

Some guy
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page