Acer H5360 HD3D (DLP 1280x720) Video Projector - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1760 Old 11-18-2010, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Fixed the Nvidia emitter problem by changing the setting in Wizard. Now, I'm really impressed! the mediocre black level when in 2D is actually quite good in 3D, the somewhat over saturated colours in 2D look good in 3D, and I'm left with an artifact free (no ghosting and no RBE that I can see) punchy 3D image. Very impressed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1760 Old 11-19-2010, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare View Post
I don't know which one works but there are external Nvidia graphics cards. I can't insert a link with my mobile app but here's the google link.

http://www.google.com/search?q=exter...&client=safari

dbl
Thanks but it seems devices are either too expensive (cheaper to buy a tower PC then put the PCI card in a slot) or not available.
post #183 of 1760 Old 11-21-2010, 11:58 PM

Liked: 10
Hi all,

Will the upcoming Optoma 3D-XL (comes with DLP-Link shutter glasses) compatible with H5360?

Will a 3D 1080p/720p mkv movie played in Popcorn Hour A-200 ----> Optoma 3D-XL ----> Acer H5360 (with DLP-Link shutter glasses) give me the 3D experience same as the 3D Theater?
post #184 of 1760 Old 11-22-2010, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This projector just went on sale at Newegg for 480! Just grabbed one! Is that a deal or what??
post #185 of 1760 Old 11-22-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee View Post

This projector just went on sale at Newegg for 480! Just grabbed one! Is that a deal or what??

$480 is crazy cheap, but I just checked and it's $599.99 on Newegg. What's the deal with eco mode reseting and new firmware? These two things are mentioned on some reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-whoopass View Post

I went back and played HL2:episode1 and it looks amazing! L4D2 is scarier somehow in 3D as well.

Do these games have specific 3d modes or can you play any old game in 3d?
post #186 of 1760 Old 11-22-2010, 06:25 AM

Promo Code PRJBF2010 takes $120 off.
post #187 of 1760 Old 11-22-2010, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Got one! Dang it, no way should I be buying one now...but how could I pass that up?
post #188 of 1760 Old 11-22-2010, 04:21 PM

ordered!
post #189 of 1760 Old 11-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdavinci View Post

Well, I just bit the bullet and went with this projector. I have to say that the 3d is very impressive. Just as good, if not better, than the Real 3D theaters I've been to.

Initially, I went with the nvidia 3d vision kit and 3 pairs of the optoma glasses. Turns out that I could not get the 2 different glasses to work at the same time, not to mention the fact that I had to change the setting on the PJ just to accomodate them which I hated to do because the colors and hues get all out of whack. So I settled with 3 pairs of the nvidia glasses and justified it for various reasons: they fold, they're rechargable and they just work (and they come with decent slip cases to protect from scratches and dust).

Bottom line, I'm just waiting for content now. got Cloudy, Monster House and M vs A. I bought 4 for myself, my wife and my 2 children but decided against my 5 year old watching due to what I've read here and there. Such a shame. He can't enjoy it until who knows when really. Well worth the investment and will keep me at bay until I upgrade my 1080p in the future.

I read in the 3dtech forum that the IQ is better when using the DLP-link glasses. Did you seen any difference in picture quality between the DLP-Link Optoma glasses and the IR Nvidia?

Thanks.
post #190 of 1760 Old 11-22-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee View Post

that was quick! already sold out, glad I got in on one. I always hesitate on deals like this and miss out, not this time.
post #191 of 1760 Old 11-22-2010, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slr904 View Post

that was quick! already sold out, glad I got in on one. I always hesitate on deals like this and miss out, not this time.

You might have gotten the last one!
post #192 of 1760 Old 11-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugabone View Post

You might have gotten the last one!

I hope not, its a great deal and I hope alot of people on the fence about getting a projector got in.
post #193 of 1760 Old 11-22-2010, 07:51 PM

I got in on the deal too! I know it's lame but I'm really damn excited about this. I'm not sure I'm gonna spring for the 3D stuff yet (apparently my graphics card is compatible though..? - gtx260) but I used to chill at my buddy's work where they had a projector hooked up to a hacked original xbox and it was plain awesome. Now I'm gonna have one in my home, and in HD no less? Wow, can't wait.

Oh and Jerry: It's TEAL, and it's spectacular

She will live on in my heart...oh yeah, and on the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #194 of 1760 Old 11-23-2010, 08:12 PM

congrats
post #195 of 1760 Old 11-24-2010, 04:10 AM

Still sold out, anyone who was able to get one got a killer deal.
post #196 of 1760 Old 11-24-2010, 12:50 PM

I got it last week. My first projector and so far I am impressed. Some pics (projected on wall - 2,5m diagonal, not really well focused, handheld 5 years old camera):

If the pics are too large, please let me know and I will rather link them....

Also does anyone know where I can buy the cheap bulbs for this projector? Cheapest bulbs that I found are around 107€ from some german store. Any alternatives?
post #197 of 1760 Old 11-24-2010, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I ordered one of these and I have a question, even though I think I already know the answer. Is there any way to get any 3D to work to this projector other than by using an HTPC or the upcoming Optoma box? I plan to get some Xpand 103 glasses to use with a JVC RS40 and I'm hoping they will work with this projector too. I might wait until the Optoma box comes out to run 3D to the Acer, but not sure yet.

Thanks,
Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #198 of 1760 Old 11-25-2010, 09:42 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

I ordered one of these and I have a question, even though I think I already know the answer. Is there any way to get any 3D to work to this projector other than by using an HTPC or the upcoming Optoma box? I plan to get some Xpand 103 glasses to use with a JVC RS40 and I'm hoping they will work with this projector too. I might wait until the Optoma box comes out to run 3D to the Acer, but not sure yet.

Thanks,
Darin

I'm sort of in the same boat you're in. Just got the projector, but also have a 3D flat panel. I don't want to invest in incompatible 3D eyewear. From the manual, the Acer doesn't seem to be able to drive an IR emitter. It has an option for using DLP link or the Nvidia vision kit, but I'm guessing it would work with any source that feeds it page flipped video and has it's own emitter. From what I saw, the Optoma box doesn't have an emitter, so it must be a DLP-only solution that relies on DLP link for syncing. So if you plan on getting the Optoma box to use the PS3, stand-alone bluray, or STB with the Acer, then you'll have to get DLP link glasses. THe x103s only support IR but doesn't currently support Nvidia vision. I own one 103, so I hope the they will be upgraded to support it. However, when/if I buy another pair of glasses, it will be the 104s. These are supposed to support IR and DLP link.
post #199 of 1760 Old 11-25-2010, 09:52 AM

I've got a question to the owners that are using the projector with Nvidia vision. How did you handle IR emitter placement? Does the emitter work with longer USB cables and hubs for long cable runs? Is the IR signal strong enough to bounce off a screen? I have the projector but am waiting on the nvidia vision kit. Not sure where I'll place the emitter, but am hoping I can ceiling mount it and bounce the signal off the screen since that would limit the USB cable length I need.
post #200 of 1760 Old 11-25-2010, 10:31 AM

Liked: 11
Would love to start seeing some screen shots.....
post #201 of 1760 Old 11-25-2010, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroElectro View Post

I've got a question to the owners that are using the projector with Nvidia vision. How did you handle IR emitter placement? Does the emitter work with longer USB cables and hubs for long cable runs? Is the IR signal strong enough to bounce off a screen? I have the projector but am waiting on the nvidia vision kit. Not sure where I'll place the emitter, but am hoping I can ceiling mount it and bounce the signal off the screen since that would limit the USB cable length I need.

I'm using a 20 to 25 foot USB cable (combined a 15' cable with the one that came with the emitter) and have it mounted on my centre speaker facing the viewers. I'm back abut 15' and it works fine, but I wouldn't want to push the distance from the emitter any more. I'll try turning the emitter around and bouncing it off the screen.

I'm totally sold on these 3D 720p DLPs. They are a pain to place, but offer great 3D. I've seen no crosstalk in any 3D movie I've watched so far and with a HP screen I'm very happy with the brightness with 3D. As for murky dark scenes - just adjust the gamma settings. A Christmas Carol, which has a lot of dark scenes, looked amazing. These things are a steal at the price.
post #202 of 1760 Old 11-26-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

I'm using a 20 to 25 foot USB cable (combined a 15' cable with the one that came with the emitter) and have it mounted on my centre speaker facing the viewers. I'm back abut 15' and it works fine, but I wouldn't want to push the distance from the emitter any more. I'll try turning the emitter around and bouncing it off the screen.

I'm totally sold on these 3D 720p DLPs. They are a pain to place, but offer great 3D. I've seen no crosstalk in any 3D movie I've watched so far and with a HP screen I'm very happy with the brightness with 3D. As for murky dark scenes - just adjust the gamma settings. A Christmas Carol, which has a lot of dark scenes, looked amazing. These things are a steal at the price.

Didn't know you could use USB cables 15ft+ without a hub. Good to hear that it works though. For time sequential 3D, you really can't beat DLP. I think JVC's RS40 LCOS projector, although much more expensive, shouldn't be able to compete in 3D since it uses liquid crystals. It should have the same 3D LCD issues with liquid crystal response time and reduced light output due to black frame insertion.
post #203 of 1760 Old 11-26-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroElectro View Post

I think JVC's RS40 LCOS projector, although much more expensive, shouldn't be able to compete in 3D since it uses liquid crystals. It should have the same 3D LCD issues with liquid crystal response time and reduced light output due to black frame insertion.

I also have an RS40 arriving in a few weeks and bought the 5360 to hold me over for now. I am projecting on a 142" Dalite 2.8 HP screen and impressed so far with a number of 3D movies. I am extremely sensitive to RBE and definitely notice it from time to time, especially when looking around the scenes with strong 3D effects.

The 2D IQ between these projectors will be a different league, but if the 3D of the RS40 isn't as impressive as the Acer, I will run dual projector setup for 2D / 3D.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #204 of 1760 Old 11-26-2010, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

Thanks,
Darin

darin, you're likely stuck with the HTPC or Optoma box with this inexpensive projector. I have a small dell workstation with the Nvidia 3D vision kit (ir emitter, nice fitting glasses) and power DVD 10. Works great with my older 1.3 Pioneer SC-07. I have HMDI->Projector, DVI -> SC-07 so I can run HD audio with the 1.3 setup.

I think petri from the JVC forum mentioned that the expand glasses would not work with his Optoma HD67 which means it wouldn't likely work on the acer.

You can pick up the Nvidia kit for quite cheap on ebay if you are looking to experiment. I am going to be a little bent if the RS40 3D can't match the IQ of the Acer at fraction of the cost.

post #205 of 1760 Old 11-26-2010, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
darin, you're likely stuck with the HTPC or Optoma box with this inexpensive projector. I have a small dell workstation with the Nvidia 3D vision kit (ir emitter, nice fitting glasses) and power DVD 10. Works great with my older 1.3 Pioneer SC-07. I have HMDI->Projector, DVI -> SC-07 so I can run HD audio with the 1.3 setup.

I think petri from the JVC forum mentioned that the expand glasses would not work with his Optoma HD67 which means it wouldn't likely work on the acer.

You can pick up the Nvidia kit for quite cheap on ebay if you are looking to experiment. I am going to be a little bent if the RS40 3D can't match the IQ of the Acer at fraction of the cost.
I would expect the JVC to have a superb black level, especially in 3D. I'm not sure you're going to notice much on the higher resolution front, but we'll see. I'll be very curious to see how JVC makes out with "crosstalk". I haven't seen any with the Acer so far and I'm hoping I don't. The Acer overall has been a revelation for me as a 3D projector (bargain of the century as far as I'm concerned) and I'm really, really enjoying 3D with it. I think it'll keep me happy until Epson and Panasonic introduce 3D 1080p projectors, and probably longer.
post #206 of 1760 Old 11-27-2010, 02:49 PM
ctn

Does anybody know what the cause of the EDID corruption? The EDID in mine was corrupted a few days after I got it. It caused the PC not to be able to recognize the display as a 3D ready one. I replaced the driver with an EDID overide one but that did not help. I also found a link where one can use Powerstrip to update the EDID but did not give that a try since I have no clear idea what the process is.

I'm getting a replacement from Amazon next week and would like to know if anything that I could do to prevent it from happening again.
post #207 of 1760 Old 11-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

. I am going to be a little bent if the RS40 3D can't match the IQ of the Acer at fraction of the cost.

From everything I have read, I would think the Acer would definitely be better than the RS40 for ghosting. To expect otherwise is setting yourself up for disappointment I would think considering the 2 technologies as far as this particular aspect of 3d is concerned. Curious to read your comparison though

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #208 of 1760 Old 11-28-2010, 04:30 AM

Hi,

I just bought this projector and have been hearing that watching 3D is amazing on the Da-Lite HP screens. Can someone please tell me if this will be the best one to get for 3d movies? I'm hoping to only spend about $600.

Da-Lite 58x104 Model C - High Power Fabric - HDTV Format Projector Screen - 79045

Thanks!
post #209 of 1760 Old 11-28-2010, 10:26 AM

Nice!
post #210 of 1760 Old 11-28-2010, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

From everything I have read, I would think the Acer would definitely be better than the RS40 for ghosting. To expect otherwise is setting yourself up for disappointment I would think considering the 2 technologies as far as this particular aspect of 3d is concerned. Curious to read your comparison though

If I already had an RS20 or 25, I would have considered just running a dual projector setup. I wouldn't use the Acer for 2D, I am way too sensitive to RBE although it's reduced in 3D mode, I can still see it from time to time.

The RS40 will hopefully be close in lumens output to the ACER which I believe projector central rated ~700 in 3D mode. I'll have to decide if the ghosting on the JVC is worse than seeing RBE here and there on the Acer.

when it gets here I will be shouting from the rooftop letting folks know what I think between these two very different projectors.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page