Official Epson Home Cinema 8500UB thread! - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 444 Old 07-19-2014, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all. I have an EPSON 8500 that I bought new in April 2010. Well the lamp is finally going out. I got about 1300 hours out of it. And I had been away on business for the past year and a half so it had just been sitting there. I think a combination of both did the bulb in. So I was looking into getting a replacement. When I talked to my local HT guy he said that I also need to get the projector Serviced. That seemed reasonable since when I took it down from it's shelf there was a lot of dust in the filter and on the unit it self. But the guy wanted $150 to service the projector and install a new bulb (the price of the bulb was separate of course).

The question I have is what exactly does the technician do when they perform a "Projector Service" and is it something that I could do myself?

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 444 Old 07-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Leiter View Post
Hi all. I have an EPSON 8500 that I bought new in April 2010. Well the lamp is finally going out. I got about 1300 hours out of it. And I had been away on business for the past year and a half so it had just been sitting there. I think a combination of both did the bulb in. So I was looking into getting a replacement. When I talked to my local HT guy he said that I also need to get the projector Serviced. That seemed reasonable since when I took it down from it's shelf there was a lot of dust in the filter and on the unit it self. But the guy wanted $150 to service the projector and install a new bulb (the price of the bulb was separate of course).

The question I have is what exactly does the technician do when they perform a "Projector Service" and is it something that I could do myself?

Thanks all.
Respectfully request of your HT guy exactly what kind of service he's providing to you for 150 dollars. If the answer is "Clean or replace your filter and change your bulb," I would respectfully decline as these are things you can quite easily do yourself. If he's certified to professionally calibrate, and he's including a quick recalibration of your projector with the new bulb installed, the extra money might be worth it.
post #423 of 444 Old 07-19-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
Respectfully request of your HT guy exactly what kind of service he's providing to you for 150 dollars. If the answer is "Clean or replace your filter and change your bulb," I would respectfully decline as these are things you can quite easily do yourself. If he's certified to professionally calibrate, and he's including a quick recalibration of your projector with the new bulb installed, the extra money might be worth it.
Thanks for the reply. I think I can handle that myself.
post #424 of 444 Old 07-22-2014, 01:09 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post
If you ever need a replacement fan for your 8500UB, I highly recommend scandig as a seller on eBay. He worked with me to figure out which fan I needed, assured me that these are the original OEM parts and provided a PDF of the exploded view of the 8500UB so I could see where each fan was and pick the right one. Very helpful!
Is this publicly available or could you post it somewhere? Thanks!
post #425 of 444 Old 07-23-2014, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheld View Post
Is this publicly available or could you post it somewhere? Thanks!
PM me an address and I can e-mail it to you. It's just an exploded view that shows the location of everything in the projector. I had no clue the thing has 4 fans!

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #426 of 444 Old 08-17-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any luck with 3rd party replacement Lamps

Has anyone had any luck with 3rd party replacement lamps for the 8500UB? Any input is appreciated.

Cheers
post #427 of 444 Old 12-15-2014, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curamrda View Post
does anybody know what can cause this color issue? seller is telling me that only hdmi connector has to be replaced...

What happens if you connect a component source to it instead
?

My nephew has HDADD. High Definition Attention Deficit Disorder. He can barely pay attention, but when he does, it's unbelievably clear!

Steven Wright
post #428 of 444 Old 01-20-2015, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
red light club.

Waw, this topic still exists.

I just red the thing about the red flashing light club. I hope i'm still out of it but....i have some troubles with it.

First, my projector is the européan version called EH-TW4400 (don't know if it make any kind of difference).

Purchased a new lamp (généric structure, original bulb).
First replacement so far, first lamp lasted 2000h approx (small explosion, no glass shattered, cleaned it to be sure)

Cleaned dust, air filter, replaced lamp.
Nice picture. It's cool. After 25h, lamp stops, projector fan(s) turned to max for 30 sec, then turns off. Red blinking led (of sadness) at the lamp sign.

Thought it was the heat or something so i let it cool down 24h unplugged.

Turned it on, 30 seconds of light, goes of and the evil red dot cycle gets back.
After 3 tries = same failure.

Getting a new lamp soon.

My projector is about 4 years old. Never had a problem until replacing the lamp.

Any clues ? Am i part of the blinking hellred club ?

Please no...

Thanks, really appreciated and sorry for the mistakes.
post #429 of 444 Old 01-21-2015, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Yeah, this thread is still alive. 8500UB owners are a stubborn crowd. We love nothing more than to shove $150 bulbs into our beast of a projector.

I'm frankly shocked you made it to 2000H on one bulb, congrats. I don't know of anyone that has achieved that with an 8500UB.

Based on your description, I would say it is likely a bad bulb at the 25H mark. Just wait for that replacement bulb and hope for the best. Let us know how it goes and we can try to help.
Necrozoupa likes this.
post #430 of 444 Old 01-21-2015, 07:19 PM

Liked: 1
A good buld or a bad buld, I can tell it just from the price. But it's reasonnable and feasible according to your post.
Necrozoupa likes this.
post #431 of 444 Old 01-23-2015, 01:46 PM

Well, I am done with Epson now.....Bought an 8500ub in 2010.....Got the purple horizontal stripe at the bottom of the screen in early 2011....they swapped it out no problem....Late in 2011, same issue and they swapped it again... Now on the 3rd 8500UB and it ate through 2 lamps in a hurry and now shows the purple stripe again....Epson said they were sorry

So, we will live with the purple stripe until this bulb dies then move away from the Epson platform....so sad since the price point the the picture were great when they were correct....
post #432 of 444 Old 01-24-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskman View Post
Yeah, this thread is still alive. 8500UB owners are a stubborn crowd. We love nothing more than to shove $150 bulbs into our beast of a projector.

I'm frankly shocked you made it to 2000H on one bulb, congrats. I don't know of anyone that has achieved that with an 8500UB.

Based on your description, I would say it is likely a bad bulb at the 25H mark. Just wait for that replacement bulb and hope for the best. Let us know how it goes and we can try to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eauspring View Post
A good buld or a bad buld, I can tell it just from the price. But it's reasonnable and feasible according to your post.
Well, first of all, thanks a lot for the answer and the kinf help

Yeah, i was surprised myself with the bulb. Actually i bought it to a guy who was in touch with Epson guys (he works for a famous french magazine about HC called "les années laser" or he used to) so he got a fully tested and official bulb. Although i've been using only eco mode.
I have to say, starting from 1400, the bulb clearly had a drop of light and making a decent calibration was nearly impossible.

I guess it's a bad bulb, They will send me a new one shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eauspring View Post
The bulb is original but structure is généric. It's approx 170€ (190$)

Not the cheapest (cheaper than fully official) on the market but original lamp inside seems reliable.

I'll post back my feeling about the new one when it's all set up.

See ya soon
post #433 of 444 Old 02-02-2015, 10:50 AM

Hi,

Received new bulb, testing it.

Seems to work so far. So the problem seems to have come from bulb.

Let you know when it crashes

Thanks guys,

See ya soon
post #434 of 444 Old 02-06-2015, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

It's always funny to me when I see people surprised that a bulb lasted 2,000 hours. I'm on my 5th or 6th bulb (I can't recall which) on my 8500UB and every single one has lasted beyond that. My last two bulbs were pulled at just under 3,000 hours just to be on the safe side (because the one bulb I had explode on me was at 3,230 hours at the time). This last one was at 2,930 and when I swapped a new bulb in, it didn't seem particularly brighter... so they're holding up quite nicely for me. I run it in Eco with high altitude enabled.

post #435 of 444 Old 02-06-2015, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdowd View Post
Well, I am done with Epson now.....Bought an 8500ub in 2010.....Got the purple horizontal stripe at the bottom of the screen in early 2011....they swapped it out no problem....Late in 2011, same issue and they swapped it again... Now on the 3rd 8500UB and it ate through 2 lamps in a hurry and now shows the purple stripe again....Epson said they were sorry

So, we will live with the purple stripe until this bulb dies then move away from the Epson platform....so sad since the price point the the picture were great when they were correct....
If you look around, getting rid of that purple stripe issue is a fairly simple thing. If I recall correctly, it comes from one of the polarizers shifting up out of position. The solution is basically to open the projector, take off the main circuit board, remove the top of the LCD engine, then push the polarizer back into place until it clicks. If you do some judicious searching, there's a site that shows you how to do it with a similar model (but I don't think I saved the link).

post #436 of 444 Old 02-08-2015, 02:33 PM

glad to have found this thread.

bought mine used about 2.5 years ago. super pleased with the quality. went through the bulb it came with, and replaced after reading these liked to chew them up much quicker than advertised.

the replacement bulb has about 1k hours on it and worked fine last night. this am, i tried to fire it up and the Epson logo appears, and there's light inside the enclosure, but the aperture seems reduces and the unit is locked up. no image on the screen. no response from the remote, have to hard power it down to get it to shut down. fan was working fine. no funny smells.

i'm inclined to think its the bulb but want to check in before buying one.

thoughts?

assuming you agree, who's the current best seller for an authentic Epson bulb?

Cheers
post #437 of 444 Old 02-09-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymi5150? View Post
glad to have found this thread.

bought mine used about 2.5 years ago. super pleased with the quality. went through the bulb it came with, and replaced after reading these liked to chew them up much quicker than advertised.

the replacement bulb has about 1k hours on it and worked fine last night. this am, i tried to fire it up and the Epson logo appears, and there's light inside the enclosure, but the aperture seems reduces and the unit is locked up. no image on the screen. no response from the remote, have to hard power it down to get it to shut down. fan was working fine. no funny smells.

i'm inclined to think its the bulb but want to check in before buying one.

thoughts?

assuming you agree, who's the current best seller for an authentic Epson bulb?

Cheers
Contacted Epson - they suspect the main board. ugh...
post #438 of 444 Old 03-27-2015, 06:18 PM

Does anyone have the service manual for the 8500 anymore? I don't have enough post to PM anybody.
I believe my PLC lens has a crack in it, and was hoping there is a product number to replace it, rather than buy the whole optics unit. Thanks!

Cliff
post #439 of 444 Old 06-02-2015, 08:34 AM

Epson 8500 Shutdown and Red Light

Greetings,

I have the Epson H337A (8500). It has started powering itself off. Symptoms are as follows:

Power the unit on, it warms up and an image is displayed on the screen. All good.

After between 15 and 25 minutes, the image shuts off, and the unit has the LAMP LED flash. Even with an external fan blowing on the unit's underside.

The previous owner replaced the bulb twice, but didn't fix this issue.

I left it sitting with the red LED flashing for 2 hours. When I returned to it, the fan was not running, however the top left of the unit was very warm, opposite of the bulb assembly, but near the lense. Basically the left half of the top of the unit when the power and source connections are closest to you.

I was hoping to find an exploded view and maybe a teardown of the unit. However I haven't found anything. I tried PMing Jeremy A. but I don't have enough posts to send a PM yet.

Thanks in advance!

Matt|ttaM
post #440 of 444 Old 06-02-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
PM me an address and I can e-mail it to you. It's just an exploded view that shows the location of everything in the projector. I had no clue the thing has 4 fans!
Can you PM me the exploded view? or post it to this thread? I am too noobish to PM you, and I dont' want to spam around just to increase my post count. Thanks!

Matt|ttaM
post #441 of 444 Old 06-07-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdowd View Post
Has anyone had any luck with 3rd party replacement lamps for the 8500UB? Any input is appreciated.

Cheers
I bought my 8500ub when they first came out. The first bulb lasted 900 hours. I was sent a new bulb under warranty. It lasted 1800 or so. My next 2 bulbs were OEM purchased from B&H. They cost about 270 bucks. They lasted 800 and 400 hours.

I then thought what the hell try a cheap ebay bulb for $60. If it lasted 400 hours i'd be ahead of thhe game. My first china cheapy lasted 1950 hours.

My second I replaced before it died at 1500 to regain brightness.

The replacement died at 550 hours but it was tied to a power outage event. Projector was running great prior to the power outage and was dead after the power came back on.

I took the 1500 hour China cheapy from the closet and replaced the power surge bulb and ran it another couple hundred hours before I replaced it with a new one. It was still going.

Just ordered a new bulb from the same folKS yesterday for 30 bucks. Price keeps dropping over time. Just looked, and my current bulb which still looks pretty decent is at 1433 hours.

Just to be fare the china bulbs are a couple hundred lums dimmer than the oem ones. So i don't run at THX cklor mode, but the 30 dollar brick point is well worth it. Not sure all china cheapys are the same but I have had good luck.

Jay
post #442 of 444 Old 06-10-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiderfish View Post
Can you PM me the exploded view? or post it to this thread? I am too noobish to PM you, and I dont' want to spam around just to increase my post count. Thanks!

Matt|ttaM
I don't have an exploded view of the Epson 8500 but you likely have a dead bulb. Red flashing is typically a bad bulb. You can check my post here on how to escalate with Epson Support to get a bulb: Epson 8100 - replaced bulb and now Pink / Blue bands
post #443 of 444 Old 06-22-2015, 08:32 PM

My 8500 UB developed the pink line at the bottom of the screen about 7 or 8 months after replacing my lamp with an OEM bulb in an aftermarket housing. Thinking it was caused by the lamp, and being just past the warranty period, I figured I'd just live with it until the next lamp replacement. Then while searching for recommendations on replacement lamps, I found a thread on this site with the fix. I only have 4 posts so far, so I will post the link in my next post...

Quote:
If you look around, getting rid of that purple stripe issue is a fairly simple thing. If I recall correctly, it comes from one of the polarizers shifting up out of position. The solution is basically to open the projector, take off the main circuit board, remove the top of the LCD engine, then push the polarizer back into place until it clicks. If you do some judicious searching, there's a site that shows you how to do it with a similar model (but I don't think I saved the link).
post #444 of 444 Old 06-22-2015, 08:33 PM

Fix for pink/purple line

Here is the thread on this site with the fix for this issue for a number of Epson models, with 8500-specific pictures and info at post 29:

Epson 8100 - replaced bulb and now Pink / Blue bands
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8500 Ub Lcd Projector V11h337020 , Mitsubishi Hd1000u , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page