Official Epson Home Cinema 8500UB thread! - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 426 Old 07-19-2014, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all. I have an EPSON 8500 that I bought new in April 2010. Well the lamp is finally going out. I got about 1300 hours out of it. And I had been away on business for the past year and a half so it had just been sitting there. I think a combination of both did the bulb in. So I was looking into getting a replacement. When I talked to my local HT guy he said that I also need to get the projector Serviced. That seemed reasonable since when I took it down from it's shelf there was a lot of dust in the filter and on the unit it self. But the guy wanted $150 to service the projector and install a new bulb (the price of the bulb was separate of course).

The question I have is what exactly does the technician do when they perform a "Projector Service" and is it something that I could do myself?

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 426 Old 07-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Leiter View Post
Hi all. I have an EPSON 8500 that I bought new in April 2010. Well the lamp is finally going out. I got about 1300 hours out of it. And I had been away on business for the past year and a half so it had just been sitting there. I think a combination of both did the bulb in. So I was looking into getting a replacement. When I talked to my local HT guy he said that I also need to get the projector Serviced. That seemed reasonable since when I took it down from it's shelf there was a lot of dust in the filter and on the unit it self. But the guy wanted $150 to service the projector and install a new bulb (the price of the bulb was separate of course).

The question I have is what exactly does the technician do when they perform a "Projector Service" and is it something that I could do myself?

Thanks all.
Respectfully request of your HT guy exactly what kind of service he's providing to you for 150 dollars. If the answer is "Clean or replace your filter and change your bulb," I would respectfully decline as these are things you can quite easily do yourself. If he's certified to professionally calibrate, and he's including a quick recalibration of your projector with the new bulb installed, the extra money might be worth it.
post #423 of 426 Old 07-19-2014, 05:10 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
Respectfully request of your HT guy exactly what kind of service he's providing to you for 150 dollars. If the answer is "Clean or replace your filter and change your bulb," I would respectfully decline as these are things you can quite easily do yourself. If he's certified to professionally calibrate, and he's including a quick recalibration of your projector with the new bulb installed, the extra money might be worth it.
Thanks for the reply. I think I can handle that myself.
post #424 of 426 Old 07-22-2014, 01:09 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Anderson View Post
If you ever need a replacement fan for your 8500UB, I highly recommend scandig as a seller on eBay. He worked with me to figure out which fan I needed, assured me that these are the original OEM parts and provided a PDF of the exploded view of the 8500UB so I could see where each fan was and pick the right one. Very helpful!
Is this publicly available or could you post it somewhere? Thanks!
post #425 of 426 Old 07-23-2014, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheld View Post
Is this publicly available or could you post it somewhere? Thanks!
PM me an address and I can e-mail it to you. It's just an exploded view that shows the location of everything in the projector. I had no clue the thing has 4 fans!

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #426 of 426 Old 08-17-2014, 05:01 PM

Liked: 10
Any luck with 3rd party replacement Lamps

Has anyone had any luck with 3rd party replacement lamps for the 8500UB? Any input is appreciated.

Cheers
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8500 Ub Lcd Projector V11h337020 , Mitsubishi Hd1000u , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page