Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 425 Old 04-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I know this is kinda early, but any hints as to an 8500UB replacement this Fall circa CEDIA

2000 lumens? More contrast? Lower cost? Other improvements?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 425 Old 04-06-2010, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

I know this is kinda early, but any hints as to an 8500UB replacement this Fall circa CEDIA

i cant imagine having more lumens than i already have. my room has partial daylight in it and i still need to run it on eco mode or it hurts my eyes. this item is perfect for a partially lit room in my opinon.

The unorthodoxed one viewing 86 inches in a 12x10 bedroom...
post #183 of 425 Old 04-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipertec View Post

Im about to pull the trigger on the 8500UB. Can anyone recommend a place to get the best deal and PM what the best price would be? Are they still offering any rebates?

Tigerdirect got it now with the bing. Check Amazon. I dont think I can afford it. I might do the 8100.
post #184 of 425 Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

Tigerdirect got it now with the bing. Check Amazon. I dont think I can afford it. I might do the 8100.

this is just 2nd hand hearsay so take it with a grain of salt... but I read some reviews on amazon that the 8100 has blur during sports and fast moving screens. i dont have a 8100 to compare my 8500UB with but i would assume the motion blur is not as bad. this may or may not affect your decision, but it did mine. If if matters to you, id check into it further.

post #185 of 425 Old 04-09-2010, 10:36 PM

This is my first projector so I'm very new to this whole calibration thing. Who calibrates these things or do I just calibrate it myself? I wish i knew someone who could teach me the process.

Has anyone calibrated their epson yet, and will calibrating it shorten my lamp life?

Im shooting against a flat white wall. The image looks great already, do i really need to do anything or just be happy and leave it.

post #186 of 425 Old 04-10-2010, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaChy View Post

This is my first projector so I'm very new to this whole calibration thing. Who calibrates these things or do I just calibrate it myself? I wish i knew someone who could teach me the process.

Has anyone calibrated their epson yet, and will calibrating it shorten my lamp life?

Im shooting against a flat white wall. The image looks great already, do i really need to do anything or just be happy and leave it.

Calibration is up to the individual. I ace two hdtv's calibrated but not my projector. I have the 8100 and it is good enough out of the box for my eyes. Calibration does cost a bit. Expect to spend $300-$450. If you do calibrate, go to the calibration thread here and use one of these guys. They are the best in the world. Stay away from Best Buy!!!
post #187 of 425 Old 04-26-2010, 05:15 PM

I just purchased an 8500ub at amazon yesterday and noticed this message today at amazon:

"Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

Anyone have any idea what they're talking about? I tried to contact amazon but didn't get anything but a reply stating the same as the message.

Thanks for any info!
post #188 of 425 Old 04-28-2010, 10:56 AM

I've just purchased an 8500 to replace my dead Benq8700. I have a rather small 8 person HT with the PJ mounted above the front row of seats -- I can mount the Epson at minimum throw range (about 10'6") for my existing 104" diagonal screen or can move it back to a max of around 11'9". I've used the PJ calculator online -- will I get the same quality image at minimum throw distance allowable (which gives about a 2.00 zoom) or is it better to back the PJ off as much as possible? Ambient light is NOT an issue it is a dead dark theater.

Thanks!

If I can get the kids off the xBox maybe I can enjoy the theater...
post #189 of 425 Old 04-29-2010, 08:57 AM

I just purchased my first projector, an 8500UB. I was hoping to get a little placement advice.

The room it is going into is 14'-7" from the wall to the screen. I am aiming for a screen size of 110" 16:9. This seem to indicate that the projector would be best place at the rear of the room. Is there any reason why I would want to cieling moutn the projector? It would seem install a shelf for it would be a cleaner solution.

The other thing is that even though this Epson has a lot of adjustability as far as horzontial and vertical shift, is there a "sweet spot" that would be ideal? The reason I ask is that my back wall is bare and I can pretty much put a shelf in any location I like.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all.
post #190 of 425 Old 04-29-2010, 10:02 AM

I know that I read somewhere in this thread on how to lookup the firmware version. Cant find it!
Can someone let me know how to look up on the 8500/9500UB?
post #191 of 425 Old 04-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Knd

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaChy View Post

For around $150 you can calibrate it yourself. It should not effect lamp life, but will knock down the lumens by quite a bit.

If you think it looks good now, try following this guide - it will look spectacular (especially compared to out of the box).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134710

To get a basic understanding of calibration look at these 2 guides - both excellent (this is where I got started).

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewt...asc&highlight=

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852536

post #192 of 425 Old 04-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Knd

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogpilot View Post

I've just purchased an 8500 to replace my dead Benq8700. I have a rather small 8 person HT with the PJ mounted above the front row of seats -- I can mount the Epson at minimum throw range (about 10'6") for my existing 104" diagonal screen or can move it back to a max of around 11'9". I've used the PJ calculator online -- will I get the same quality image at minimum throw distance allowable (which gives about a 2.00 zoom) or is it better to back the PJ off as much as possible? Ambient light is NOT an issue it is a dead dark theater.

Thanks!

If you put it closer you will have more lumens. If you have it farther back, you will have greater contrast, although to me, I doubt you will notice this much (becase the lumens will be less the blacks will be blacker).

I would put it closer to have the greater lumens. I have a 6500 and the black are plenty black and the 8500 is even better.
post #193 of 425 Old 04-29-2010, 12:00 PM
Knd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Leiter View Post

I just purchased my first projector, an 8500UB. I was hoping to get a little placement advice.

The room it is going into is 14'-7" from the wall to the screen. I am aiming for a screen size of 110" 16:9. This seem to indicate that the projector would be best place at the rear of the room. Is there any reason why I would want to cieling moutn the projector? It would seem install a shelf for it would be a cleaner solution.

The other thing is that even though this Epson has a lot of adjustability as far as horzontial and vertical shift, is there a "sweet spot" that would be ideal? The reason I ask is that my back wall is bare and I can pretty much put a shelf in any location I like.

Any thoughts?

Thanks all.

I have a 6500 mounted on a shelf on my back wall (room about 15.5 feet deep). I have it quite high and use lense shift to adjust to my 118" Carada brillant white screen. My equipment is in the back of the room so it was much easier to run the HDMI and power cable, having it up high on a shelf helps with noise (but not a big issue). I don't believe there is a sweet spot for lense shift.

Ceiling mounting might give you a few more lumens as it will be closer to the screen, but a shelf is much easier to install. Also, the lense shift tends to creep over time (I have to adjust it about once a month) so you should factor this into your decision. Of course the lense shift may not creep on the 8500, but it does on the 6500.
post #194 of 425 Old 05-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just picked up a 8500 tonight after a long debate of a few plasmas. We couldn't come to terms and we knew we wanted a theater in the long run so we just went for it. WOW Why didn't we do this sooner. Both me and my wife are more then impressed with this beast. My room is a semigloss white and we don't have a screen yet. We are already making plans to darken it up. We are not sure what size screen to go with just yet but we zoomed the image to the full wall area and WOW it still looks great. We are thinking around the 120" mark or there abouts. Anyways I just wanted to bring this tread back to life. Right now I am using THX is there any settings I should try?

Thanks,
post #195 of 425 Old 05-11-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post

I just picked up a 8500 tonight after a long debate of a few plasmas. We couldn't come to terms and we knew we wanted a theater in the long run so we just went for it. WOW Why didn't we do this sooner. Both me and my wife are more then impressed with this beast. My room is a semigloss white and we don't have a screen yet. We are already making plans to darken it up. We are not sure what size screen to go with just yet but we zoomed the image to the full wall area and WOW it still looks great. We are thinking around the 120" mark or there abouts. Anyways I just wanted to bring this tread back to life. Right now I am using THX is there any settings I should try?

Thanks,

i'm in the same boat as you. I just got my 8500 in the mail this past Friday. I did nothing more than to just plopped it down on my coffee table and throw in a Blu-ray I rented (Star Trek) and HOLY SH*&T what a picture. I can't belive I waited this long to get a FP. I had major wood for about 2.5 hours.

I also couldn't believe how easy it was to adjust the projector enough to get a decent picture. I literally had a nice picture in about 2 minutes.

I won't be able to do a final install on it til my shelves arrive. They are being special ordered and wont arrive for another 2 weeks or so. I can't wait.
post #196 of 425 Old 05-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Good to hear! We watched a bunch of SD content from the Netflix streaming on the ps3 and even that looked great on it. I am just loving this thing! I couldn't wipe the smile off my face last night. I think I'm going to have a throw a game in tonight that should be fun.
post #197 of 425 Old 05-12-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post

I think I'm going to have a throw a game in tonight that should be fun.

Make sure you post how gaming is on this thing. i have heard that sometimes there can be lag issues with front projectors. It would be so kick-ass to play WoW on this thing.
post #198 of 425 Old 05-13-2010, 12:52 AM

Does the 8500UB have an inorganic lcd?
post #199 of 425 Old 05-13-2010, 11:16 AM

Is there an SDE concern with the 8500?

I'll be viewing at 12', with diagonal of ~110"

Thanks.
post #200 of 425 Old 05-14-2010, 09:51 AM

For those looking to get this, the 8500 is at $2150 currently on Amazon - the lowest I have seen over the last few days. It keeps fluctuating between $2150 and $2300 over the last 24 hours or so.
post #201 of 425 Old 05-14-2010, 01:40 PM

Is there any picture qualiy downside to ceiling mounting (couple feet above top of screen) and using lens shift, compared to mounting a bit lower down?
post #202 of 425 Old 05-14-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi76 View Post

For those looking to get this, the 8500 is at $2150 currently on Amazon - the lowest I have seen over the last few days. It keeps fluctuating between $2150 and $2300 over the last 24 hours or so.

VAPEX has it for $2199 free shipping and isn't playing Amazon's really irritating pricing fluctuation games.

I had it in my cart (on amazon) earlier and refreshed to order now, tells me the price has gone up (from 2150 to 2299)....
post #203 of 425 Old 05-14-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukwomble View Post

VAPEX has it for $2199 free shipping and isn't playing Amazon's really irritating pricing fluctuation games.

I had it in my cart (on amazon) earlier and refreshed to order now, tells me the price has gone up (from 2150 to 2299)....

Yes, it is back up as of now. It fluctuated a lot last night 2299 - 2162 - 2222 - 2200 - 2180 - 2150. Luckily for me I caught it at the lowest price early morning today and ordered it at that price. For me, Amazon no-restocking-fee return policy and $4 1-day shipping even for Sat delivery (as I am a prime member) makes it worth it for me.

VApex charges 15% restocking fee if you don't like it. For someone who knows for sure they will keep the unit, VApex is straightforward.

Best of luck!
post #204 of 425 Old 05-18-2010, 10:07 AM

So I just upgraded my Sanyo PLV-Z5 with the 8500UB and all I can say is wow. The Sanyo was a great projector when I got it (fall 2006) and the image improvement the 8500UB gave was nothing short of stunning.

I picked the Epson over the Panasonic because:
#1 - 2 year warranty. I just hate supporting panasonic with thier 1 year warranty, stand behind your product a little better! Normal people don't replace their PJ every year.

#2 - the color & image quality tendencies of the epson (at least per art's descriptions on projectorreviews.com) versus the panasonic are more to my taste. I like vibrant colors, deep blacks (a well light controlled theatre thankfully) and whites that aren't all crushed (look at a white jersey during a football game)

#3 - replacement lamps cost less, published specs suggest longer life. I put 4800 hours on the Sanyo over 4 years (well the household did - I wish I had that much time for entertainment!) so definately a "cost of ownership" factor on the epson.

Right out of the box I was impressed. 1080i content from the cable box, bluray and HTPC content, all in all a very good upgrade! I'll give it a couple hundred hours like this and then run through some calibration.

I watched some scenes from Apollo 13 on bluray, a show about Ducati Motorcycles on HD theater, part of a mariner's game (sigh @ being a seattle sports fan ), and a some other random bluray content (The dark knight, whiteout, season 3 venture brothers).
post #205 of 425 Old 05-19-2010, 02:12 PM

After rishi76's remarks about pricing on Amazon, I looked at it yesterday and it was at 2118.57. That's when I ordered it.
My logic runs similar to mahkra's, also replacing a Z5 that ran into panel problems after about 8,000 hrs. $600 for panel repair was not worth it.
Let's hope it will be trouble-free, if not I'll return it and try something else.
post #206 of 425 Old 05-19-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKreutzer View Post

After rishi76's remarks about pricing on Amazon, I looked at it yesterday and it was at 2118.57. That's when I ordered it.
My logic runs similar to mahkra's, also replacing a Z5 that ran into panel problems after about 8,000 hrs. $600 for panel repair was not worth it.
Let's hope it will be trouble-free, if not I'll return it and try something else.

Glad to be of help. Btw, Amazon price went down to 2074.20 yesterday night. I again emailed Amazon requesting refund of price difference and they did it within 10 minutes. I plan to keep watching the price for 30 days since my purchase as Amazon always refunds the difference (even though 'officially' they don't support it anymore). Note - email always works (so far), calling is iffy and depends on who you get.
post #207 of 425 Old 05-20-2010, 12:50 PM

Just ordered the 8500UB from Amazon at $2104 .. the best I had seen was at $2099 so pulled the trigger at the above price. Should be here tomorrow. There is no turning back now ...

I am thinking of a Wilsonart DW 120" screen to use with this PJ... Its for a basement and will be light controlled.

Do you guys see any issue with the screen and this PJ ?

I will post some pics tomorrow ..

Thanks in advance.
Arvin
post #208 of 425 Old 05-20-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi007 View Post

Just ordered the 8500UB from Amazon at $2104 .. the best I had seen was at $2099 so pulled the trigger at the above price....

Currently at $2082 (and eight cents).
post #209 of 425 Old 05-20-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

I started a forum on this subject earlier, and I am thinking of getting a projector this summer (August) and probably going to get the 8500. But maybe I should wait until the 8500 replacement is released? Although I checked, and the 8500 wasn't officially shipped until end of October in 2009. I'd be putting in the screen over the summer and I'm not interested in not watching movies for two months.
post #210 of 425 Old 05-21-2010, 11:44 AM

check your local craigslist you might be able to find a used projector (old 720p panasonic or sanyo or something) for a few hundred to run for a month or two while you wait for next year's...

Also to those shopping around - I found the Bing cashback shopping to work out pretty well. A number of stores carry this projector and participate with the cashback program.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8500 Ub Lcd Projector V11h337020 , Mitsubishi Hd1000u , Panasonic Pt Ae4000u 1600 Lumen Lcd Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page