Lg hs201 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 477 Old 03-05-2010, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what is the difference betwen LG HS200G and LG HS201? because there is a price difference on amazon, but they look the same? im confused, do they have same specs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 477 Old 03-06-2010, 11:29 PM

they are the same thing, the hs200 is the one sold in Europe and the hs201 is the one sold here in America, the only one small difference is the hs200 has an FM reciever.
post #273 of 477 Old 03-09-2010, 07:16 AM

would it be worth it buying a 3d projector such as the Acer H5360, over the lg hs201 or hx300? i just dont know what to get? any help with outlining pros and cons will provide a great insight to a newbie like me. thanks
post #274 of 477 Old 03-11-2010, 07:19 AM

... which video codecs/formats does the hs200g/201g support when using usb input? And is there a max resolution and bitrate?

As far as I recall the 102G only accepted max PAL/NTSC resolution and XViD/DIVX. I think I wasn't able to get a 720p avi to run. How about the 200g?
post #275 of 477 Old 03-12-2010, 07:56 PM

Can Somebody help me with a setup question on the hs201?

I am thinking about buying one for my basement. Right now it's unfinished, but I plan to do a home theater.

If I use my wall as a screen, can I set up the projector wherever I want, and just accept whatever image size it comes up with? I'm not picky about size, so long as it's 50 inches or more.

I have investigated screens, but I really want the whole wall available, so I plan to paint the fresh drywall with a screen paint.

So, My plan now is to hang the projector from the ceiling at about 7 feet away.

My problem is, with the basement being finished now, there may be a few inches of difference in the final position. So, as I said, keeping in mind I'm using the whole wall, can I just place it anywhere in that 7-8 feet range and focus in to whatever screen size ends up there?

Thanks for the help.

paul
post #276 of 477 Old 03-13-2010, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstefano View Post

Can Somebody help me with a setup question on the hs201?

I am thinking about buying one for my basement. Right now it's unfinished, but I plan to do a home theater.

If I use my wall as a screen, can I set up the projector wherever I want, and just accept whatever image size it comes up with? I'm not picky about size, so long as it's 50 inches or more.

I have investigated screens, but I really want the whole wall available, so I plan to paint the fresh drywall with a screen paint.

So, My plan now is to hang the projector from the ceiling at about 7 feet away.

My problem is, with the basement being finished now, there may be a few inches of difference in the final position. So, as I said, keeping in mind I'm using the whole wall, can I just place it anywhere in that 7-8 feet range and focus in to whatever screen size ends up there?

Thanks for the help.

paul

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul >>> My HS-201 is placed at 7 ft and 8 inches from the screen and my screen is 76" diagonal or 60" wide, which is near the top of the focus range of the HS-201, so, in your case, it should be fine.
If you are planning on hanging it from the ceiling, be aware that it needs to be also placed with the center of the lens facing the top edge of the screen area, as well as located exactly in the middle of the screen area, so, if your screen is placed at 30 inches from the ceiling, so must the center of the projector's lens.
Of course you could use its keystone function to give you some leeway insofar as placement is concerned, but one should always avoid "Keystoning" if at all possible as it will introduce some image distortion as penalty for its usage.
Regards >>> Marcos
post #277 of 477 Old 03-13-2010, 04:14 AM

I have tried this projector in a store here in UAE and as well as the hd65 playing transformers. basically both of them is placed on the same lighting environment in the store. but maybe it is just me but the image produced is kinda not good, im just thinking maybe it needs calibration? or it needed a much more "less light" environment? but everyone says here that it is bright even when there is light?

so when i tried the HD65 , it is really good out of the box plugged using a vga cable...

I really like to get this one because of the lamp life and because of the sharp images/pictures that i see from here as well as from the videos from youtube.

maybe it really needs calibration to get good picture?
post #278 of 477 Old 03-13-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keema View Post

I really like to get this one because of the lamp life and because of the sharp images/pictures that i see from here as well as from the videos from youtube.

maybe it really needs calibration to get good picture?

I own both of these pjs. Hs201(800x600) cannot be compared to the HD65(720p), the resolution is way lower. Out of the box, contrast was off for the HS201. I did some calibration using the DVE disc, which made a big difference.

HS201 has only 200 lumens vs HD65's 1600 claimed lumens. So with ambient light HD65 will look better. I have a totally light controlled environment so both look decent for me.

As your primary Projector, I would not pick the HS201. You will continue to crave for better resolution after the first few days of wow factor goes away.
post #279 of 477 Old 03-13-2010, 08:14 AM

What does everybody used for cabling? Looks like from post 1 it comes with a VGA/component adapter. Is it worth upgrading to HDMI?

I have a 50 foot component cable already, but I would have to purchase a new HDMI cable if I wanted to use that.

I ordered the projector yesterday and while it ships, I'm trying to get my setup in order.

paul
post #280 of 477 Old 03-14-2010, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Paul >>> I believe someone posted a picture on this thread showing the difference between using analog versus digital cables with the HS-201; The picture showed enlarged individual pixels and one can clearly see them via HDMI but not via analog connections; You should check it out...
post #281 of 477 Old 03-14-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

Paul >>> I believe someone posted a picture on this thread showing the difference between using analog versus digital cables with the HS-201; The picture showed enlarged individual pixels and one can clearly see them via HDMI but not via analog connections; You should check it out...

I saw those. What is the verdict, however? The HDMI looks better to me. Are you saying because you are seeing pixels, that the Component is preferred?
post #282 of 477 Old 03-14-2010, 03:42 PM

Liked: 14
paulstefano

I was the one who took those photos.

HDMI is clearly better, SvGA coming in to the component connection was more blurry(at the pixel level).

Hope it helps

Brent
post #283 of 477 Old 03-14-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afineman View Post

paulstefano

I was the one who took those photos.

HDMI is clearly better, SvGA coming in to the component connection was more blurry(at the pixel level).

Hope it helps

Brent

Thanks,

That's what I was looking for. Now if Monoprice would only start selling again!
post #284 of 477 Old 03-15-2010, 11:36 PM

what wuld be a good projector screen for the hs201? what is difference between white and glass cystal?
post #285 of 477 Old 03-16-2010, 09:12 PM

Just got my projector and all I can say is WOW!

I should preface this by saying that this is my first projector, but the HS201 is really impressive.

I was only testing the thing on my green living room wall, while I wait for the work on my basement (and theater room) to be finished. I'm still deciding where to mount it.

Couple of things I noticed. I put it out to test it. I laid out the tape measure and looked at it from different distances.

1. 7 feet is too small. May as well not even have a projector. It looked like my 42 inch Vizio panel.
2. 20 feet (I think. I just put it on the side table well beyond where my tape measure ran out) was too far. Couldn’t even get the thing to focus completely. Also, the screen was about 12 feet by 10 feet.
3. The distance with the biggest screen but still with a tight focus was about 11 feet. This was while it was sitting on the entertainment center. Things may be completely different from the ceiling

Overall, though, I was REALLY impressed. The quality was great. It wasn’t HD but you could never tell at that size. All this on a Green Wall, which should make it look pretty terrible. A Netflix Streamed movie over HDMI and Tinker Bell on a VGA connected DVD setup looked amazing. As for brightness, it was good. It has 3 modes. I can’t remember the name, but 1 is useless, too dim. Then there is Economy, and Presentation. Economy was good. We watched it with the sun still shining through the blinds and it was okay. Then with the lights just dimmed, and darkness outside, it was perfect. Presentation mode was really bright. Would work probably in any light. The trick is there is a fan, and it was quiet in Economy. In Presentation, you could really hear it.

What does this all mean? Well, the projector is a great buy. It’s really tiny, too. Only about the size of small book. It will give a great picture, and should last forever. We could also break it out for events, or parties, and move it anywhere around the house pretty easily. The only trick will be the mounting. We may have to have it hanging farther back, than I anticipated. The other option is a floor mount. When I was holding it, it projected fine from my arm height at about 5 feet from the floor.

I just can't say enough how impressive this was to me. I have used office projectors for years, and never thought I could get this quality out of a machine this small and affordable.

Thanks for all help from the folks here.
post #286 of 477 Old 03-16-2010, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2zza View Post

what wuld be a good projector screen for the hs201? what is difference between white and glass cystal?

I am no expert, but since no one has answered, I'll give it a shot:

white is the color of the screen surface

glass (beaded) is an extra coating that can be added to any color screen (white or gray).

If I remember correctly with glass beaded screen you get more gain, useful for lower lumen projectors like the HS201, but lose some flexibility because the viewing angle is narrower with this type of screen.
post #287 of 477 Old 03-16-2010, 11:31 PM

I was wondering what the output voltage & amperage is from the power brick
post #288 of 477 Old 03-17-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

INPUT : 100-240V /// 50-60 Hz /// 1.5 AMP
OUTPUT : 19V /// 4.74 AMP /// 90 W MAX
post #289 of 477 Old 03-17-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

paulstefano >>> Remember that the manual specifies the maximum diagonal screen size for the HS-201 as being 80" diagonal or 60" wide and when you turn the focus dial all the way to the top to achieve the tighest pixel focusing for a screen that size, the projector must be placed approximately 8 feet away from the screen; That picture would be almost four times the size of a 42" screen...
Of course it doesn't mean that you can't go even further; In my case i found that the slight blurring of onscreen pixels wasn't worthwhile trying to go for a larger screen.
For a quick calibration, may i suggest you select Expert 1 or 2 Picture Mode, Contrast 85, Brightness 50, H Sharpness 50, V Sharpness 52, Color 57, Tint G3, Dynamic Contrast LOW, , Gamma Medium, Black Level Low and White Balance Medium ?
Those were the settings i found best using calibration dvds...
Regards >>> Marcos
post #290 of 477 Old 03-17-2010, 09:52 PM

bobbyslav did you choose this over the epson 705hd?
post #291 of 477 Old 03-17-2010, 10:15 PM

@boobyslav sorry for asking too much question

anyway, when you are using your projector were you in a light controlled room?

I have compared this one and the hd65, i know these 2 are totally different but im just comparing them in terms of playing it with ambient lighting. so in short i have liked the hd65.

can anyone post some pics with some lights on? (my room has so many windows that has curtains but light still goes in)
post #292 of 477 Old 03-17-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

paulstefano >>> Remember that the manual specifies the maximum diagonal screen size for the HS-201 as being 80" diagonal or 60" wide and when you turn the focus dial all the way to the top to achieve the tighest pixel focusing for a screen that size, the projector must be placed approximately 8 feet away from the screen; That picture would be almost four times the size of a 42" screen...
Of course it doesn't mean that you can't go even further; In my case i found that the slight blurring of onscreen pixels wasn't worthwhile trying to go for a larger screen.
For a quick calibration, may i suggest you select Expert 1 or 2 Picture Mode, Contrast 78, Brightness 33, H Sharpness 50, V Sharpness 52, Color 57, Tint G3, Dynamic Contrast LOW, , Gamma Medium, Black Level Low and White Balance Medium ?
Those were the settings i found best using calibration dvds...
Regards >>> Marcos

Hmmm.

I still haven't mounted on the celing, but I did stand in the middle of my room with it over my head. I think that was about the same distance from the ceiling as to where my mount would be.

So, I projected at 10 feet and I was able to focus perfectly fine. I'm not sure if I'm blind, or what, but this seemed pretty good to me. I suppose I may have to move it up a little because The focus ring was at the top of the dial, leaving no margin for error. I think you can go slightly bigger than 80 inches without much degradation, though.
post #293 of 477 Old 03-17-2010, 10:43 PM

Has anybody run for long periods of time on "Normal" mode? I find this much brighter obviously, but the fan is an issue and it gets hot. Is there a danger in running for long periods of time on this setting? I can live with the noise, but not if it shortens life.
post #294 of 477 Old 03-18-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civilizedcitizen View Post

I own both of these pjs. Hs201(800x600) cannot be compared to the HD65(720p), the resolution is way lower. Out of the box, contrast was off for the HS201. I did some calibration using the DVE disc, which made a big difference.

HS201 has only 200 lumens vs HD65's 1600 claimed lumens. So with ambient light HD65 will look better. I have a totally light controlled environment so both look decent for me.

As your primary Projector, I would not pick the HS201. You will continue to crave for better resolution after the first few days of wow factor goes away.

Thanks can u post a picture of the two running with ambient light?

thanks sir
post #295 of 477 Old 03-18-2010, 06:15 AM

paulstefano

Where this is your first projector, I can understand why you might say it gets HOT but in reality it is rather cool (vs a lamp projector).
Somewhere in this forum someone measured the temp in normal mode to be 98 degrees (body temp), this projector is warm to the touch but not hot.

As I've stated before, I'm a heavy user, all my content comes via a projector so on the weekends this projector may be on 12-16 hours a day in normal mode( no lamp, no need to turn off when stepping out for a few). so I can say this projector has no problem being on for a long time.

Hope it helps

Brent
post #296 of 477 Old 03-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keema View Post

@boobyslav sorry for asking too much question

anyway, when you are using your projector were you in a light controlled room?

I have compared this one and the hd65, i know these 2 are totally different but im just comparing them in terms of playing it with ambient lighting. so in short i have liked the hd65.

can anyone post some pics with some lights on? (my room has so many windows that has curtains but light still goes in)

Yes, I did choose it over the Epson 705HD. It wasn't really a difficult choice - I hate the Epson instantly, and loved the LG instantly.

The Optoma hd65 is a different situation though - being a DLP projector as well. I am sure its picture will be better and brighter than the LG.

Coming from the Mitsubishi HC1500, which at the time was the main competitor to the Optoma, I did like the picture of the Mitsubishi better, but couldn't stand it's color wheel whine any longer and I was out of the warranty. Mitsubishi wanted $600 to repair it. Fat chance!

Aside from resolution and brightness though, the LG has clear advantages - it is absolutely silent - I use mine exclusively in Eco mode; it's color saturation rivals that of flat panel TVs; it's shadow detail, black levels, and contrast are actually better than the Mitsubishi; I haven't seen a single rainbow on the LG and I don't get tired watching the way I used to with the Mitsubishi and X1 before it.

I use it in a room with three windows, but I can control the light well - I have black velvet curtains on the windows so I can have it pretty dark. Depending on what I am watching though, sometimes I prefer to have some light in the room and even at night I turn on a little night lamp. Plus my wall color is very light, almost white blue - not exactly ideal for home theater. I think in my case the lower brightness of the LG is actually an advantage.
post #297 of 477 Old 03-18-2010, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afineman View Post

paulstefano

Where this is your first projector, I can understand why you might say it gets HOT but in reality it is rather cool (vs a lamp projector).
Somewhere in this forum someone measured the temp in normal mode to be 98 degrees (body temp), this projector is warm to the touch but not hot.

As I've stated before, I'm a heavy user, all my content comes via a projector so on the weekends this projector may be on 12-16 hours a day in normal mode( no lamp, no need to turn off when stepping out for a few). so I can say this projector has no problem being on for a long time.

Hope it helps

Brent

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm with afineman on this one : i am also a very heavy user of my HS-201 at about 10 hours per day and i find that the unit gets barely warm to the touch; Often times i fall sleep during "sessions" and don't feel really guilty about it, at an average usage of 80 watts per hour and a light source specd to last at least 30.000 hours...
I measured the temperature on top of the case at approximately 92 degrees and at 82 degrees about 3 inches off the exhaust fan duct.
This is truly how front pjs should have been made all along...
I still can't comprehend how exactly LG is capable of packing such performance inside such tiny box; As an example, if you guys go to Cine4Home site and read their very/very thorough reviews of XXX-expensive LED pjs, they found out that both models reviewed exhibited a rather loud and annoying hum coming from the state-of-the-art LEDs control board inside the units, and that's from two different manufacturers !
Now, how is LG capable of using a similar LED light source, Luminus Devices LED chipsets, that must need some type of control board as well, is literally noiseless, exhausts such little heat, outputs 200/300 lumens and comes packaged inside such tiny plastic box ?... Amazing comes to mind !
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcos
post #298 of 477 Old 03-18-2010, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Strangely enough, while waiting for the X300, I went from the 201 to the 705HD. I actually love it. Of course, I loved the 201, as well, but they are really two very different units for different needs. If I were to sum them both up in a nutshell:

705HD:

--Light canon! It's unbelievable, in the crazy bright desert sunlight, with lights on, I still needn't do anything in Eco mode. Can see it all.
--Like the 720p resolution
--Can project 120" from about 11' back
--Great PC output
--Terrible SD output (compressed satellite signals)
--Bulb! Though this one is longer than most at 5000 hours
--Gets pretty hot but that's only compared to the 201

HS201:

--It's not as bright but the colors are vibrant, I don't see that pop with my 705HD
--Very small and runs pretty cool in Eco mode, plus you can project a 110" image from about 10' back
--No need to worry about lamp hours! +++
--Has a GREAT SD picture for the satellite signal that I fed it
--Inexpensive and great bang for the buck
--Doesn't have as many inputs, but that's easily dealt with using a cheap HDMI switch (same goes for the 705HD)

While I don't intend to keep my 705HD for too long, I love having the brightness and the extra resolution. I happen to think it's a great machine though I know bobbyslav doesn't agree but different strokes for different folks. I like it as much as my 201, but for very different reasons.
post #299 of 477 Old 03-18-2010, 03:05 PM

I'm kinda wondering... anyone ever make a modification to the fan? Maybe use a one of these fans...

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-.../dp/B000O8I474

Basically the Idea would be to cut a hole in the top or bottom and use this fan to exhaust hot air. The bigger the fan the quieter it is! Besides, the cooler it is the longer it will last!

Just wondering if anyone ever thought of doing a mod like that. Tho, one could just drill holes in the case and mount the fan on the OUTSIDE of the projector to let the air flow throw the holes.
post #300 of 477 Old 03-18-2010, 06:25 PM

ericlp

Interesting question, for me the answer is "No" because I use this projector in "Normal" mode as well as "Eco" mode.

In both those modes the fan is quieter than my computer (fan noise).

People, this is a "Cool" projector that can run 24/7 for a total of 30 K+ hours (divide 30,000 by 24, that equals these # of days) so we can have this on for 1250 days or 3.24 years continues.

granted the 800X600 is in the Infocus X1 days, but the color WOW factor can not be matched.

My venting is done

Brent
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Hs200 Portable Projector
Gear in this thread - Hs200 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page