Lg hs201 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 476 Old 07-01-2010, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all.

I looking for a smart LG phone is having all the qualities for which i m looking for, Is this website is really good in providing LG phone with elegant skins?

Lg env3 skins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 476 Old 07-02-2010, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krinkov View Post

Although the HS201 looked ok for web surfing (text was clear) It didn't cut it for PS3 gaming or HD films compared to what I was used to with the X9. Gaming wise the resolution difference was a big loss as I play first person shooters (COD,Bad company2) & the resolution wasn't good enough for hitting targets far across the map.

What about wii since it outputs at a lower resolution than 360 or ps3 ? Can anyone comment on using a wii with the HS201 ?
post #363 of 476 Old 07-02-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ7 View Post

What about wii since it outputs at a lower resolution than 360 or ps3 ? Can anyone comment on using a wii with the HS201 ?

I'm using the HS201 with the Wii. I used the component to VGA adapter then used a coupler to connect to the Wii component cables. It works pretty well. Looks as god as anything else I've had the Wii hooked up to.
post #364 of 476 Old 07-07-2010, 04:32 AM

Yeah it works great with the wii as well as the ps3. We played call of duty on a 80" screen which was awesome, the only obvious complaint is the lack of 1080p resolution which is not noticeable on the wii but it is when playing PS3 games. I'll probably be selling it soon and I'll get a 52" Plasma TV.
post #365 of 476 Old 07-10-2010, 10:56 PM

where can i find a carrying case that fits this projector

Any suggestions?
post #366 of 476 Old 07-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnp2005 View Post

where can i find a carrying case that fits this projector

Any suggestions?

i would try some cheap camcorder bag at walmart

http://www.walmart.com/search/search....y=0&Find=Find
post #367 of 476 Old 07-11-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav View Post

i would try some cheap camcorder bag at walmart

http://www.walmart.com/search/search....y=0&Find=Find

hmm...i guess i'll go that route if i have to, but are there any cases with the same dimensions as the projector?

Does anyone on here with the projector have a case for it? If so, what are you using?

Thanks.
post #368 of 476 Old 07-13-2010, 08:41 PM

I got this projector recently and been largely satisfied with it. I am projecting on a beige wall while I get a screen. The problem I have is that my eyes get strained quite a bit while watching. Is some one else also having this issue? Any ideas settings to decrease eye strain? (I have used the settings suggested in this thread earlier). Any ideas/suggestions is much appreciated.
post #369 of 476 Old 07-13-2010, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandanmv View Post

I got this projector recently and been largely satisfied with it. I am projecting on a beige wall while I get a screen. The problem I have is that my eyes get strained quite a bit while watching. Is some one else also having this issue? Any ideas settings to decrease eye strain? (I have used the settings suggested in this thread earlier). Any ideas/suggestions is much appreciated.

Lower brightness?
post #370 of 476 Old 07-13-2010, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Are you perhaps sitting so close to the screen to the point that you have to continuously dart your vision left > right / right > left > up / down, just to keep up with the action onscreen ?
That would certainly cause eye strain.
Are you using your HS-201 in an extremely dark "batcave" room with the unit's contrast control crancked up all the way up to the point that white images begin to "bloom" onscreen ? That may also cause eye strain.
Or are you referring to R/G/B flashes that occurr occasionally, specifically during low-contrast dark scenes with some white highlights (aka DLP "rainbows") which may cause some discomfort to the eyes ? I used to notice them a lot more when i first got my unit but now i hardly notice them any longer; Keep in mind that compared to single chip DLP projectors that use standard bulbs and color wheels, the HS-201 LEDs cycle on/off much/much faster, thus displaying much/much less "rainbows"...
Regards >>> Marcos
post #371 of 476 Old 07-15-2010, 04:34 PM

For those who are curious about whether the Sony Dynaclear VPS-80DS 80 inch (2.1 gain) screen would make a difference with the hs201 under afternoon sunlight. Here are some pictures of my test...

Again, this shows dark (high gain) screen can help projectors with low lumens...

if you are in planning to do some movie/tv watching and gaming in the afternoon, this is the definately best option!

Here is how it looks on the Epson Duet 1.0 gain white screen under the same environment.

post #372 of 476 Old 07-16-2010, 12:12 AM

Liked: 12
Kenshin2b, is that the same one that is 80% off on Amazon? I'm just wondering why the description on some other site that it's matte white and not black. I only have a blackout cloth at home. BTW, do you have a video of it in action? thanks
post #373 of 476 Old 07-16-2010, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

...And could you please post some pics of the screen in action in a fully darkened environment ? Thanks
post #374 of 476 Old 07-16-2010, 06:54 AM

That's the one. It should be more of matte grey than matte black, certainly not matte white to me.

The price of this poorman Black Diamond at Electronic Expo (through Amazon) is certainly a steal (unless you need something bigger than 80 inches).

Marco, I will take some "night" shot tonight.
post #375 of 476 Old 07-17-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

Are you perhaps sitting so close to the screen to the point that you have to continuously dart your vision left > right / right > left > up / down, just to keep up with the action onscreen ?
That would certainly cause eye strain.
Are you using your HS-201 in an extremely dark "batcave" room with the unit's contrast control crancked up all the way up to the point that white images begin to "bloom" onscreen ? That may also cause eye strain.
Or are you referring to R/G/B flashes that occurr occasionally, specifically during low-contrast dark scenes with some white highlights (aka DLP "rainbows") which may cause some discomfort to the eyes ? I used to notice them a lot more when i first got my unit but now i hardly notice them any longer; Keep in mind that compared to single chip DLP projectors that use standard bulbs and color wheels, the HS-201 LEDs cycle on/off much/much faster, thus displaying much/much less "rainbows"...
Regards >>> Marcos

Marcos and Bruce.. Thanks for your suggestions. It is getting better with a screen and more brightness.
post #376 of 476 Old 07-19-2010, 12:03 AM

Marcos, here are some nightshot. The shots didn't come out that great since I took it freehand without the tripod. BTW, I did not calibrate the pj against the Dynaclear, since I figure I most likely use another pj with the screen as soon as Amazon has the HX300 in stock...

post #377 of 476 Old 07-26-2010, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Hi All...I'm back and this is in regards to the Sony Dynaclear screen I got last week thanks to kenshin2b posting some pix of it in action with the LG HS201. BTW kenshin2b...thanx for the tip you posted on the Sammy SP-F10M thread...worked like a charm...have also been deligent in handleling this...pull screen up & pickup from case...not the uprite in the back ...as my knuckles would dimple it everytime... ;-(.

Ok...these shots are from friday afternoon...blinds open on rite...overcast day...

Remaining pix are with Dynaclear on left & DIY on rite...

Next set are from Saturday morning...extremely sunny...blinds on rite as well kitchen & dining room on left are open...

Next set are on Sunday early AM...before the sun rises...extremely lite controlled...

Ambient lite performance is extremely acceptable!
Controlled lite performance...even though not as noticable in the pix...is way better then the DIY. Naked eye viewing shows a crisper pic...whites are briter...blacks a sharper...detail pops out...missed alot veiwing on the DIY past 1/2 decade...overall...very satisfied with this C-note investment to enhance viewing quality in ambient lite.
post #378 of 476 Old 07-26-2010, 04:39 AM

Thanks for pictures.Your projector is LG 201G ???
post #379 of 476 Old 07-26-2010, 11:32 AM

SG, glad you are as happy as I am.

I think my only complain besides the screen material is a bit more fragile, is the height of the screen, I have noticed you have put the screen on top of two end tables. I guess if you have one of those low profile long TV stand, that would be perfect.

Another note to those who are contemplating about joining the Dynaclear camp, this screen is definately light and portable enough if you ever want to use it out door (but of course not under very windy and harsh condition, since it is very light, it can get destroy).

Also, you need a projector that is at least 50 ANSI lumens, I tried with one of those low lumens pocket LED pj, the image seems to be too dark...
post #380 of 476 Old 07-26-2010, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm seriously considering buying this Sony Dynaclear screen. How is the viewing angle? Can one person be slighty off to the side and still see a good image? How does image sharpness compare to the epson? And is there any noticable hotspots etc..I currently have the Epson Accolade Duet 1.0 gain and like it exept when there is too much light in the room it gets washed out. Also my projector is only LED 70 lumens.. 70 lumes is bright enough on the Espon duet in good lighting conditions even at 80" for me, I am not even using it's full brighness (58 out of 100 brightness in calibration and 53 out of 100 contrast)and it's enough..Would the overall brightness be the same..less or more on my projector on this screen? Judging from your comparisons of the two screens the brightness seems similar, white levels in some shots looks even brighter on the Sony. Also my projector is projectiong at less than 20% angle to the screen which is what this sony screen is rated according to the spec (2.1 gain within certain projection angle) So brighness is maintained I guess due to the high gain of the sony dynaclear so I should be safe. My main reason for buying this is the improved blacks and being able to use it earlier in the day then I normally could..and hopefully a better picture..more pop to the overall color of the picture
post #381 of 476 Old 07-26-2010, 05:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG's HDHTPC View Post

Ambient lite performance is extremely acceptable!
Controlled lite performance...even though not as noticable in the pix...is way better then the DIY. Naked eye viewing shows a crisper pic...whites are briter...blacks a sharper...detail pops out...missed alot veiwing on the DIY past 1/2 decade...overall...very satisfied with this C-note investment to enhance viewing quality in ambient lite.

Any chance you could reverse the positioning of the DynaClear and put it on the Right, closest side to the Window? Most every shot I see shows markedly higher illumination coming off the right screen wall/ceiling. Just a few daylight shots under those conditions would round out an otherwise very comprehensive photo essay.

What was/is your DIY Screen? For certain, the Sony can easily trump it ambient-light wise, that much is obvious. Especially since the DIY seems to be a Matte White surface of some sort.

Interesting little PJ. No zoom....fixed focal length w/only 2000:1 CR so the dark Sony DC makes it look a lot better than it would otherwise.

Next to last question: Was the PJ calibrated to the much lighter DIY screen, or the new Sony DC?

Last question coming: With the 201, throw distance for 80" would be just at 8' w/9 foot lamberts off a Matte White 1.0 gain screen. Hard to fathom you ever really tried to watch much content in day time ambient light with this PJ on the DIY screen? So...what PJ did you used to employ those last 4-5 years?

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #382 of 476 Old 07-26-2010, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, since almost everyone is posting pics of their HS-201 in action i decided to follow suit by posting some pics of my own, as projected onto a high-gain screen...
BTW, these pictures don't do full justice to the projector's actual onscreen image; They were taken with a cheap, 4 year old 3MP camera.
LL
LL
LL
post #383 of 476 Old 07-27-2010, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Yais...yes...above pix are with my LG HS201...

Hi kenshin2b...very pleased...yep..fragile...will figure out a way to afix it to stiffer backing...if so...will pickup another for my vaca setup...

Hi Heeman...viewing angle is smaller then the DIY...best is straight on with PJ overhead or in front (tabletop)...

Hi MississippiMan...was on the screen section this past weekend reading the 5 page Sony Dynaclear thread...i have considered this & will check into it next weekend with a left/rite set o pix...the DIY screen is RocLon Blackout Cloth i bought from Walmart 6 years ago & fabbed a large screen for the basement HT...basically rotate this screen 90 degrees...add the same next to it & that was the size...after a year or two, the Batcave syndrom set in, so i cut it in 1/2 & made 2 84" diag screens as you see in the pix...the other is at my girlfriends condo living room. Its the cloth side which is a matte finish...pj is outta the box set to vivid & presentation...daytime viewing was in lite controlled ie room darkening blinds on rite (front & sunside of house) until the dynaclear...
PJ #1...Benq PB6200...#2 Optoma HD73 (both functional but mothballed)...#3 LG HS102(vaca PJ)...#4 LG HS201...#5 Samsung SP-F10M which i just got last week & am extremely pleased with its ambient lite performance, can't wait to get it back from samsung & do a DIY/Dynaclear comparison...& I picked up a Home Cinema Pro HD850 LED for my girlfriends condo this past spring...which i'll be taking this screen over to see what it can do there with 2 skylites over the screen...anyway...thanx for taking an interest...

Hey Marcos...glad to hear from you...pix look good...agreed...need to experience this with 'naked eye'...&... as i've stated on my various threads...fotography is not my forte....
post #384 of 476 Old 08-01-2010, 01:17 AM

I found this hs201 someone is selling on ebay in case anyone is interested. Its for parts or repair maybe one of you guys could fix.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT
post #385 of 476 Old 08-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey90 View Post

I found this hs201 someone is selling on ebay in case anyone is interested. Its for parts or repair maybe one of you guys could fix.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

Directly from EBAY page...."I never removed the plastic covering". I had one of these. I know what 'plastic covering' he's talking about. It's a close fitting piece of plastic that goes over the top of the projector and around one of the sides-and COVERS A VENT. HMMMM.....YOU THINK IT OVERHEATED???? (some people are so ignorant sometimes)

There's even a warning to remove the plastic before use.
post #386 of 476 Old 08-24-2010, 10:32 AM

Liked: 12
Greetings all

I have a question, I copied the below statement from Wikipedia is this accurate?

The method for measuring ANSI lumens is defined in the IT7.215 document which was created in 1992. First the projector is set up to display an image in a room at a temperature of 25 degrees Celsius. The brightness and contrast of the projector are adjusted so that on a full white field, it is possible to distinguish between a 5% screen area block of 95% peak white, and two identically sized 100% and 90% peak white boxes at the center of the white field. The light output is then measured on a full white field at nine specific locations around the screen and averaged. This average is then multiplied by the screen area to give the brightness of the projector in "ANSI lumens".[6]

If so, I now understand why I perceived my colors to be far superior on my 201 than my last 2 projectors (infocus X1 and Infocus IN26) As I type this light bulbs are going off, and generating more questions.

Allow me to babble a bit, if that is the measurement system, then on a bulb projector your measuring white light coming through the clear (and I suspect the lowest loss segment) segment on the color wheel.

But if you went to a pure red screen then the DLP will only reflect when the red segment of the color wheel is in front the light pipe, depending on how mush loss there is converting the white light to red that could change the lumens drastically.

Another bulb that just went off is (if I remember correctly) the color wheel has 4 or 5 segments so if you're displaying pure red (or any color) then it only has a 20-25%duty cycle.

Yet with the LED a pure red screen is 100% duty cycle and I'll end this babble with 1 last thought.

If the above measurement is truly the way it is done then, on a bulb projector the white light passes through the clear segment and will give you the highest reading. If this method is used on an LED projector wouldn't it be the lowest lumen output (reasoning, white is not a native color and is a combo of modulated LEDs).

Am I thinking about this the correct way or am I talking out the wrong orifice?

Brent
post #387 of 476 Old 08-24-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Good HT projectors don't have a white segment.

For all others, it is generally turned off.

I don't think you understand fully the way the DLP chips work when referring to duty cycle. It would be the same with a color wheel as with an LED... unless you go 3 chip, you won't have 100% for each color.
post #388 of 476 Old 10-03-2010, 07:21 AM

I just wanna report, I got the HS200G in Germany and it makes a 130" sceen.
Well I'm just using 100" and its still not on maximum Focus.

Does Anyone have Chromatic Abberation, because mine has it.
post #389 of 476 Old 10-28-2010, 07:01 PM

ok finally I pulled the trigger on this puppy yesterday and will be receiving it tomorrow. Also bought the 100IN Diagonal Accuscreens HDtv Manual Wall Ceiling 49X87IN
by Draper and Videosecu 6" Universal Pan Tilt Video Camera Mounting Bracket with Ceiling Clip 1BO. I have the following questions for you the experts in this forum

1. I have denon 1910 receiver which has got only 1 hdmi out so I bought the 1 to 2 splitter from mono, will this degrade the quality?
2. My living room is almost 20ft, and I was planning to mount the projector @ 18ft or so from the roof. Will that make 100in screen full? Will that reduce the picture quality?
3. Got a 30% off coupon from square trade warranty and they agreed to provide 3 yr extended warranty for $54usd, is it worth taking it?
4. Can I run 35ft of HDMI cable from the receiver to the projector?

Thanks for your help in advance
post #390 of 476 Old 10-29-2010, 09:00 AM

HDMI is Digital, either you have a picture or you don't.

It doesn't have a zoom lens, so you will need to put it about 11' from the screen.

Do you have lots of bad luck with electronics in the first year?

Yes, i am using a 50' one for my 201.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Hs200 Portable Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page