AVS Forum banner
171K views 476 replies 108 participants last post by  Jon Manning 
#1 ·
Hi All...found this on the porch when i got home yesterday....

#37 of 64 shipped to Amazon...

contents...white ;-(...forgot they offer several colors...wanted the dark blu...oh well...

atop my LG HS102G...definately sleeker bod...

Ok...all pix are outta the box settings...only turned off sound (real tinny speaker) & changed input to HDMI...otherwise left everything else as is...

Remote is same as 102...only in English ;-)...& they both work on either unit....so I was unable to blank 1 or the other out...had to cover lens with left hand & clic pix with rite to do the coke pepsi thing between the 102 & 201....anyway...first impressions...way briter & quieter the the 102...richer colors...better menu setup for user friendly navigation...

Pix are in sets of 2...1st is 102...2nd is 201...started @ 3:45PM...few of commercial in ambient with blinds open on rite...

Weather @ 4:15 channel 7 HD...little darker out...like these for the color...

Ok...the rest are FXHD channel...movie @ 5:30...Fantastic 4 RoSS...torch lites are 15watt bulbs...

Noticable improvement over the 102...looking forward to this weekend & checking it out with briter ambient lite...will clic sum pix & post.

See less See more
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav /forum/post/17732214

Normally I'd agree, but not so with this particular projector. I don't have my contrast at 100, but at 94 after calibration with a THX optimizer. I found it best to bump the contrast as high and leave the dynamic contrast off.

This is not a typical display, perhaps because of the LED lighting. The colors are much more vivid and saturated than any other projector I've seen.

Also this projector needs a high bump of the sharpness. I've always turned the sharpness down to the minimum on any other display I've had, but with this projector I have it up to 75 and I've enabled edge enhancement. Otherwise the picture looks quite soft, almost blurry.

Can you post all your settings after calibration?

Thanks!

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishrakin /forum/post/17744922

Can you post all your settings after calibration?

Thanks!

Here you go:

Started from Cinema Mode:

Contrast 95

Brightness 58

Sharpness - with Xbox games 90, with movies lower to 45

Color 50

Tint R4

Advanced Menu

Color Temp. Medium

Dynamic Contrast Off

Dynamic Color Off

Moise Reduction Off

Gamma Low

Black Level Low

Film Mode Off

Color Gamut Wide

Edge Enhancer - with Xbox Games ON, with movies Off.

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav /forum/post/17745613

Here you go:

Started from Cinema Mode:

Contrast 95

Brightness 58

Sharpness - with Xbox games 90, with movies lower to 45

Color 50

Tint R4

Advanced Menu

Color Temp. Medium

Dynamic Contrast Off

Dynamic Color Off

Moise Reduction Off

Gamma Low

Black Level Low

Film Mode Off

Color Gamut Wide

Edge Enhancer - with Xbox Games ON, with movies Off.

How do you enable the sharpness and some options in the advance settings bec. on mine they are greyed out. thanks.

#56 ·
Does this little beamer preserve the contents aspectratio or is it mapping everything to the 4:3 ratio of its panel?

Eyefinity, unfortunately it doesn't support soft-edge-blending and most likely never will. Those 6 projectors in the first video overlap without blending, and are clearly not matched either, as one could easily see brightness and colour difference between the projectors, in addition to seeing the overlapping bar.

#58 ·
Rubachuk

I took a bunch of pictures (HDMI vs RGB) but none show how dramatic the difference is except these 2

This one is HDMI
and you can see single pixel resolution

This one is RGB
and as can be seen in this mode it uses 2 pixels

You can also see the screen door affect of the 800 X600 but I up to 98 inch diagonal.

Hope it answers the question

Brent

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afineman /forum/post/17754116

You can also see the screen door affect of the 800 X600 but I up to 98 inch diagonal.

Brent

I'm curious at what screen size and seating distance screendoor is not visible. My current setup is an 80" wide screen and around 8-10 feet to seating area.

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus /forum/post/17758408

I'm curious at what screen size and seating distance screendoor is not visible. My current setup is an 80" wide screen and around 8-10 feet to seating area.

You'll be able to see the pixels around the edges of text and graphics, but I wouldn't call it "screen door effect" in the same terms as the LCD projectors of yester year.

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afineman /forum/post/17754116

Rubachuk

I took a bunch of pictures (HDMI vs RGB) but none show how dramatic the difference is except these 2

This one is HDMI
and you can see single pixel resolution

This one is RGB
and as can be seen in this mode it uses 2 pixels

Brent

Ok, these 2 pics make the (big) difference clearly visible... just ordered a 5m HDMI cable

B.t.w.: Received my PJ 2 days ago and watched the first film last night. Had to place the PJ (too) far away from the screen because of short cable - screen size was then about 2,50m (98``) wide and therefore a bit too big...

Also had kind of flicker in the top area of screen

#66 ·
Hey All

I was about 10 inches away from the screen when I took those pictures.

As bobbyslav says @ 13 feet away you only see it with high contrast text and when on my computer I don't care, when watching a movie I never see it.

Rubachuk, I had the (almost) same thing (flicker) I played with the phase (I think that's the name, it's on the same screen you adjust shif and size) and it was gone.

My High Power screen should be in tomorrow and the final chapter will begin

Have a nice day

Brent

#67 ·
Thanks Brent for answering all our questions.

You'll need sunglasses once the High Power is up.

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afineman /forum/post/17761755

Rubachuk, I had the (almost) same thing (flicker) I played with the phase (I think that's the name, it's on the same screen you adjust shif and size) and it was gone.

To set the phase, the menu only appears if being connected via RGB - I had it on HDMI. Will also test another cable, maybe mine was too cheap

#69 ·
Evening all and Happy Holidays

Well I got the screen and wanted to post a few pictures (I'll give myself the holidays to write the final chapter)

First: settings very similar to the first photo post, screen is 92 in diag. screen is 10 foot 5 inches from lens, eyes are 12 foot 4 inches from screen.

Here is my DVD (480P)
movie Last of the Mohegans

Here is my Hulu @ 800X600

And finally HDTV card installed in my computer
Image was actually better, hands were not steady enough (remember no light).

OOHH the screen went up in 10 minutes.

Cheers

Brent

#70 ·
Greetings All

OOHH the final chapter, allow me again to give my background so the following statements can be put in prospective.

My home theater is built for 2 (wife and I)

This is my 3rd projector (Infocus X1 then a Infocus IN 26)

I'm 52 and need reading glasses (reason I went to a projector for computer use)

I just installed a Da-Lite High Power 96 X 72 inch screen (currently running 92 inch diagonal )

Let me start by saying this is not a flexible projector, what I mean buy this is, if you have a well established home theater you may find it frustrating trying to incorporate this projector into it (short throw and no zoom).

In computer mode using HDMI you will see the individual pixels (this instantly disappears when watching online media), when watching a DVD using the component input it is awesome (remember my past experience) the colors just pop out at you epically with the new screen, with this screen the brightness exceeds (in my eyes) my Infocus X1, and because I have a HD tv tuner card in my computer Over Air HD content looks very good as well.

I've read others who are not happy with the USB Divx video yet I don't see a big problem (I have movies in AVI format 800 meg full length) my only complaint with using the USB for video viewing is, while viewing the menu button does nothing and I'm not sure what projector settings to modify to enhance the video in this mode

I've given my set up and dimensions in previous posts so I won't turn this into a book but I do want to talk about the new screen. Because my home theater (if that's what you want to call it, love seat wall hung screen and Dolby 5:1 sound) is flexible in it positions this new screen allows me the get the biggest bang for the buck out of this projector.

My current viewing experience by far exceeds my experience with the other 2 projectors. I would of never thought a sub $500 projector coupled with a little over $200 screen would yield such an increase in viewing experience, now having said that let me get to what I find are the pros and cons.

This would be a Good projector for the first timer, the thrifty theater builder, family travel, back up projector, general purpose projector, and a heavy user.

This may not be a good projector for someone who has a well established home theater (due to it not being very flexible), someone who is use to (and expects) the clarity of a 720/1080 projected image, and someone who has stock in a projector bulb making company.

I'll end this with a photo, this is a calibration screen for my video card set up, the top half of the picture is the high power screen (DUH) the bottom is my DIY screen and the projector was in Econo mode, so where a picture is worth a 1000 words I'll end it here

Seasons greetings

Brent

#71 ·
Thanks to htsurroundman for posting the link to the manual for the LG HS-200/HS-201 and to afineman and Rubachuk for posting such amazing pics, considering the unit's list price.

Have you guys noticed some of the options under the "Advanced" menu selection, specifically "Color Expert 1" and "Color Expert 2" ? This projector actually allows full R/G/B white balance adjustments for both brightness (towards the white range of the gray scale) and contrast (towards the dark gray/black range of the gray scale), AND a full six colors CMS control (red,blue,green,magenta,cyan, yellow), AND a GAMMA control, etc, etc, etc !!!

Now, that's amazing, considering the price point of the unit...I can think of many HD projectors that do not offer such options.

I wonder which one of the LED chipsets from Luminus Devices/Phlatlight does the LG-200/201 use, the model PT-39 or the model PT-54 LED chipset ? Anyone have more hard-to-find info/details on this beauty ?

Thanks >>> Marcos

#73 ·
Same here, i just ordered mine from amazon; After checking some of the LG HS200/201 videos posted at youtube as well as the pictures on this thread, i figured this was too good to pass up.

Some recent owners at amazon's discussion group on the HS200 are reporting that the temperature right outside the main front vent measured 108 degrees and the bottom vent measured 98 degrees, after the unit is turned on for awhile; Have any of the owners here noticed their units getting uncomfortably hot to the touch ? I imagine that the front vent is the main exhaust vent, so would a small fan placed behind the projector help with keeping it cooler ? Any suggestions ?

BTW, after going through that very/very poorly written manual, i realized that this $500 mini projector allows full scale gray-tracking calibration by two methods : using R/G/B controls for the top and the bottom end of the scale AND/OR a full twenty (20 !) R/G/B controls for EACH COLOR starting at "total black" 0IRE, then 5IRE, 10,15,20,25,30 ~100IRE "total white"...Now, that's amazing !

I don't know of any other projector anywhere that offers such feature, which is available only on "EXPERT 1" and "EXPERT 2" on the menu.

Let's keep this thread "alive 'n kicking" >>> Regards >>> Marcos

#74 ·
here's the quote from the amazon discussion:
I measured it with a heatgun. On the outside, I got a reading of 42C (108F) directly outside the front vent. On the bottom, I got 36C, (98F). Maybe I should put it on top of a laptop cooler

it'll be interesting to see how the next generations of these led projectors with higher lumens (400, 1000, etc) will be able to manage heat.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto /forum/post/17798923

I wonder which one of the LED chipsets from Luminus Devices/Phlatlight does the LG-200/201 use, the model PT-39 or the model PT-54 LED chipset ? Anyone have more hard-to-find info/details on this beauty ?

Thanks >>> Marcos

HS200 use PT-54.

PT-39 in old HS102.

Last generation of Samsung LED DLP rptv is used PT-120 chipset.

Same Phatlight PT-120 (overclocked 600-800 Lm) inside of overpriced ($15-20K) projectors:

Vivitek H9080FD, Vivitek H6080FD

Digital Projection M-Vision Cine LED Projector

Runco QuantumColor Q-750d Projector

ProjectionDesign Avielo Kroma Projector

Projectiondesign FL32 1080p Projector

Sim2 Grand Cinema MICO 50 Projector

#76 ·
MCaugusto

I've noticed heat but I'm not so sure the lower vent temp of 98 (body temp) nor the 108 at the side exit to be "uncomfortably hot" assuming these temps are in F and not C
, the heat that comes out of a bulb projector always scared me.

Brent

ps. of course as I type others jump in and answer, thats what I get for taking 15 minutes to type

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.