post #91 of 476 Old 01-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

On a side note, i forgot to ask if anyone has tried mounting the LG HS200/201 to a ceiling using an "universal" ceiling mount.
I know that the HS200/201 has a tripod mount on the bottom of its case and i wonder if i purchased one of those "universal" mounts whether or not it would "mate" with the tripod mount.
I don't want to order a ceiling mount just to find out that it does not fit/mount/mate with a standard tripod mount...
Any help would be appreciated,

Marcos

I don't think it would fit. The projector only has one hole on the bottom and nothing else. You should get a camera ceiling mount, they are much cheaper than projector ceiling mounts:

http://www.amazon.com/Videosecu-Univ...2744155&sr=8-1

I used a satellite speaker mount I found for $9 a pair (I only used one of them).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 476 Old 01-06-2010, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav View Post

I don't think it would fit. The projector only has one hole on the bottom and nothing else. You should get a camera ceiling mount, they are much cheaper than projector ceiling mounts:

http://www.amazon.com/Videosecu-Univ...2744155&sr=8-1

I used a satellite speaker mount I found for $9 a pair (I only used one of them).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

bobbyslav >>> Thanks for the tip; I take it you mounted your LG201 from the ceiling and i wonder how it worked out.
The top of my screen is 27 1/2 inches from the ceiling and according to the instructions in the LG 201 manual, when mounting the projector either on a table or on a tripod the projector must be located precisely at a set distance based on the screen size & ratio and it must be located with the projector lens aimed straight towards the bottom of the screen and towards the exact middle point of the screen.
When you mounted you pj to the ceiling, did it have to be lowered so that its lens was aimed straight towards the middle point of the top of the screen ?
Or did you ceiling mount your HS201 higher than the top of the screen and then used some of the keystone adjustment available on the HS201 to straighten out the onscreen image ?
If that was how you did it, how much higher than the top of the screen did you mount the HS201 and did you have to use some keystone adjustment ? My understanding of the matter is, the less keystoning is used the better it is and, in fact, not using any keystoning is the best way to mount a projector due to image distortion; I wonder if i am correct on that assumption...
BTW, thanks to your tip i found on amazon.com a "professional long extension bracket mount stand for security camera", which can be extended from 18" to 40", has a standard tripod mount and costs a reasonable $30. Since my screen is 27 1/2 inches from the ceiling, i imagine that the bracket's length of 18" to 40" should give me plenty of length to raise/lower the projector.
Regards >>> Marcos
post #93 of 476 Old 01-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Marcos, I did mount it on the ceiling. It was not easy to be honest, there is practically no placement flexibility with this projector, which to me is it's biggest fault. After hours of trying different ways to mount it, I was finally successful with the help of the speaker bracket and a screw from an old camera tripod. I didn't have to use any keystone correction.

The projector has no image offset so the bottom (when mounted on a table), or the top (when mounted from the ceiling) of the image starts at the level of the projector lense. If the top of your screen is 27" from the ceiling then the projector lens will have to be 27" also.

I ended up with a few inches of the 4:3 frame running above my screen, but since I use the projector exclusively in 16:9 mode this is not a problem.

Good luck!
post #94 of 476 Old 01-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like the new LG LED will be 1024x768.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1214194

Hopefully that is native resolution and not accepted input signals.

Don't get scammed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #95 of 476 Old 01-06-2010, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post

Can anyone provide a solid comparison of this model up against an entry level 720p or 1080p home theater projector? It seems like most people are getting this as a first projector and nobody is comparing it against the slightly more expensive, but purpose built, home theater models.

It would be great to hear from someone who might have a Optoma HD20 or simiar entry level 1080p model and see how it does.

Likewise, how is the response time of this unit for gaming as this is potentially a great travelling unit for the kids and gaming.

Finally, how is the compatibility with standard HD sources such as Blu-ray (1080i/1080p?) resolutions or HDTV broadcasts?

Any information or feedback from those who have been able to put a serious home theater projector up against it would be greatly appreciated!

If you look earlier in this thread you can see pictures of mine mounted in front of my Viewsonic Pro8100 (a 1080p projector). I use the LG as a "helper" projector to save bulb life. I use it with the computer desktop (set at 1080p), PS3 bluray movies, and Directv HD television.
As a primary projector, I think many might be happy with it's excellent brightness, richly saturated colors and excellent blacks. On the debit side, the SVGA resolution is readily apparent on HD material, and there is still some white "blowout" in bright areas.
Compared to the Viewsonic (a mid to high end projector) there is no contest. the extra resolution cannot be beat, and the LG is also very noisy in best mode. However, I've watched all of Band of Brothers in HD on it, and many other shows and if I only had it as my projector, I'd still be quite happy.

Robert Clark
post #96 of 476 Old 01-07-2010, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post

Looks like the new LG LED will be 1024x768.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1214194

Hopefully that is native resolution and not accepted input signals.

Looks like native resolution as the "X" in the model name stands for XGA and "300" for the lumen output
post #97 of 476 Old 01-08-2010, 10:49 AM

Finally got mine setup. Ordered from Amazon on Monday, received the unit on Wednesday (via 2-day Prime Shipping from TX to CA). This thread and the youtube videos helped me a bunch with the decision Too me this is a cost saving move, now I can buy myself more time before wasting money on a premature 3DTV unit.

So far video and web surfing has been great on it with my Gateway FX-7805u laptop via HDMI on white wall.

Here is my take on it
Pros
- The only LED pj in the market that has a hdmi port.
- Highest lumens rating 200 in the pico/mobile pj range at the moment.
- Best color reproduction in the pico/mobile pj range at the moment.

Wish it has
- Zoom
- Lens Shift
- SPDIF optical out (so I can hook it up to a better reciever)
- 16:10 aspect ratio for PC
- 16:9 native apect ration
- 720p native res.
- higher refresh rate (I know it is a lot to ask for)

Now I would need to get a better tripod (at least 60'), RGB cable for the Wii and a set of nice speakers that can hookup to the audio jack. If anyone can provide me some recommendation, that would be great.

When I have a chance this weekend, I will try to hook it up to the PS3.
post #98 of 476 Old 01-11-2010, 05:41 PM

I'm considering an LG Hs201 for use as a graphic art projector. I'm currently using a slide projector to project photos for tracing. The photo images are of table-top sized objects or portraits which are projected to about life-size. I'd like to replace the slide projector with a digital one, however most are not designed to focus that close and project an image too large for my purposes. I noticed that the 201 can produce an image size as small as 15". Can anyone comment on how these smaller images might compare to projected 35 mm slides? Sharpness and detail clarity are more important than color. Can the 201 be mounted on a camera tripod (is there a screw-type mount built in)? I'd appreciate any opinions--I haven't been able to find a 201 to look at before buying. Thanks.
post #99 of 476 Old 01-11-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

So, my HS201 arrived on Friday, calibrated it to my screen using test DVDs, and i am AMAZED/SHOCKED/DELIGHTED by the picture this tiny beauty puts out.
All colors have a saturation (vibrancy, even) that i have never seen before, it was an eye-opener, surely due to those LEDs in the PhlatLight chipset; I had to lower the contrast control from a max of 100 to 75 as the image was already overly bright with whites "blown out" (with a 200 lumens projector paired with a 76" high-gain screen) and i had to select the "normal" mode for LED output instead of the higher output provided by the "presentation" mode; Black level was certainly acceptable by lowering the unit's brightness control to 27 out of a max of 100, while still affording excellent shadow detail on low APL scenes; The availability of full CMS (color management controls) for R/G/B/Y/C/M is something i haven't even explored yet as i am planning on purchasing an affordable colorimeter soon, but by lowering the color control to 47 and turning tint to "G8" i was able to get excellent skin tones and a very well-balanced color spectrum; The fact that this unit has full gray-scale tracking controls for contrast and brightness AND/OR ( !?!?) the option for twenty selectable controls from 5 IRE to 100 IRE for all three primary colors is unique, AFAIK; The unit gets barely warm to the touch even after 10 hours of continuous operation, and try as i might i could not see a single rainbow EVER, even during those notorious "rainbow-prone" scenes of stars in a field of black space and repeatedly turning my head around trying to spot them...
Need i go on ? By selecting the "normal" mode the HS201 is whisper quiet and i was surprised by the level of resolution afforded by those 800x600 pixels, as i could make out differences in the sharpness of assorted dvds and cable feeds.
I've been an audiophile/videophile for almost 40 years and during such time i purchased dozens and dozens of electronics, both home use and pro-equipment, but i can't think of any other instance in which i was more impressed by an electronic item; I still remember my first VCR in 1979, my first CRT projector in 1980, my first CD player in 1983 and my first DVD player in 1997, but taking into consideration that important ratio of price ~features~performance, the LG HS201 is the most impressive piece of electronic equipment i have ever purchased.
A friend of mine who is a teaching chef came over during the weekend and i showed him the unit; I then picked it up and projected an image on a bare white wall instead of on my screen, and he asked me where he could buy one for himself; I suggested that he should wait until the HX300G is released in July and that i was considering selling my unit and purchasing the new model, to which he told me that he would gladly buy my used unit by then ! That's how easy it is to sell these beauts, once you see what they can do for its list price.
Sure, i wish it had zoom control, a 1920x1080 DMD chip used with the more powerful PhlatLight PT-120 chipset and an inexpensive state-of-the-art video processing chip like the HQV Reon, but now i feel i can bide my time and wait until such day arrives; One thing is for sure : after realizing what LG was capable of doing for $500 i will not be willing to spend any more than $3.000 or so for such a projector, it's almost like this pj is a "proof of concept" for what can be achieved with LED illumination, and the results are eye opening.
Regards >>> Marcos
post #100 of 476 Old 01-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamES View Post

I'm considering an LG Hs201 for use as a graphic art projector. I'm currently using a slide projector to project photos for tracing. The photo images are of table-top sized objects or portraits which are projected to about life-size. I'd like to replace the slide projector with a digital one, however most are not designed to focus that close and project an image too large for my purposes. I noticed that the 201 can produce an image size as small as 15". Can anyone comment on how these smaller images might compare to projected 35 mm slides? Sharpness and detail clarity are more important than color. Can the 201 be mounted on a camera tripod (is there a screw-type mount built in)? I'd appreciate any opinions--I haven't been able to find a 201 to look at before buying. Thanks.

The 201 has a tripod mount hole on the bottom - in fact, it's the only mounting option.

I don't think it will be a good choice for your purpose though... Up close the low resolution really shows, edges of objects and straight lines clearly show individual pixels, rather than continuous lines.

This observation is from much larger screen size though, I haven't looked at 15" images.
post #101 of 476 Old 01-12-2010, 05:19 AM

Liked: 12
MCaugusto

Glad to see I wasn't the only one "AMAZED/SHOCKED/DELIGHTED " by this projector

Enjoy

Brent
post #102 of 476 Old 01-12-2010, 01:43 PM

I am wondering for those of you who own the unit, what kind of sound system you guys are hooking it up to?

I am looking at some soundbar solution (i.e. Sony HT-CT100 and HT-CT500) that has hdmi input. Anyone has exeperience with those?

I would like to hookup my PS3, Wii and PC to the unit with a simple solution.
post #103 of 476 Old 01-12-2010, 11:38 PM

As an update - Went and got the Sony HT-CT500, and hooked up to the HS201 this evening, and it works great. The sub also act as a reciever as well. Compare to CT100, CT500 has more input options, and with a smaller sub.

I have the PS3 and the Laptop connected to the two HDMI In, Wii connected to Component, and HDMI Out to PJ.

The CT500 would always upconvert the native res. as 1080P/60Hz as through HDMI to the PJ.
post #104 of 476 Old 01-16-2010, 07:35 AM

hs200g european model with audio transmitter and carry case for sale , got to move back in with the parents, so for sale if any 1 interested
post #105 of 476 Old 01-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav View Post

I don't know what Kamus is talking about!!! I've been trying really hard to see any rainbows on the HS201 and haven't seen a single one.

Are you serious? man, i couldn't stop seeing them once i started.
It got very annoying, i didn't even have to move my eyes around to see them, but when i did, i could see them on pretty much any scene.

I did like the fact that the projector has gamut presets, i haven't taken any measurements yet, but the skin tones don't look too bad when you have the gamut in the right mode.
post #106 of 476 Old 01-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamus View Post

Are you serious? man, i couldn't stop seeing them once i started.
It got very annoying, i didn't even have to move my eyes around to see them, but when i did, i could see them on pretty much any scene.

I did like the fact that the projector has gamut presets, i haven't taken any measurements yet, but the skin tones don't look too bad when you have the gamut in the right mode.

Wild! This is my third DLP projector, but the first one that I don't see a single rainbow.
post #107 of 476 Old 01-18-2010, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

...The only way that i managed to see rainbows with my HS201 was by inputting a totally black image superimposed with some white highlights ( as in stars in the black of space), then turning my head around as fast as i could while simultaneously blinking my eyes, a somewhat uncomfortable endeavor, to say the least ! Then, yes, i could see some very small flashes of R/G/B colors around white highlights.
On the other hand, i surmised, how often will i ever watch anything on TV under those conditions ? I don't suffer from any neurological illness that would affect my head to turn or shake uncontrollably while my eyes are blinking continuously, and i don't think a vast majority of the population do, either...
post #108 of 476 Old 01-18-2010, 09:03 PM

Interesting comments on rainbow effect (and lack of) for this unit.. Great info on previous posts as well...

Wondering - has anyone had experience with this projector using powerpoint or jpeg photos directly off a flash drive? I'm considering getting one for college classroom presentations, small audience, pretty dark room, showing mostly photos (wildlife, some graphics). Like not using a laptop, and impressed with comments about color quality, relative quietness, and led lamp life/quality. Home theater is not an issue. Anyone know when the higher resolution hx300 will be out and approximate cost? Is it worth waiting for? Any comments appreciated!
post #109 of 476 Old 01-19-2010, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

djb777 >>> I haven't tried using my HS201 with jpeg photos or powerpoint, but one thing i can guarantee you is that you'll be amazed with the colors this tiny unit puts out (i've never seen richer, more saturated colors), the extremely silent fan running on normal mode, the fact that the LED light engine comes on instantly to full brightness and shuts down likewise while the unit gets hardly warm to the touch, the sharply defined pixels, ect, etc.
The HX300G is scheduled for release at the end of the 2nd quarter, so i imagine it should be available by late June as a replacement for the HS201, just like the HS201 was a replacement for the HS102. As for its cost, i figure it will be about the same as the HS201 or somewhat higher, say $600 m.s.r.p.
If you can afford to wait for its release, i would do it; I am so impressed with my unit that i am planning on purchasing a HX300G the minute it's out, for its higher native resolution (basically, 786.000 pixels versus 480.000 on the HS201), and its increased brightness, from 200 to 300 lumens.
Regards >>> Marcos
post #110 of 476 Old 01-19-2010, 10:47 AM

I am also in for a HX300G as soon as it comes out; I am pretty sure the HS201 would have a great resale value even when HX300G is out, and it don't think it will be an issue to recover 70% of the cost later if you buy HS201 now.

If you check ebay now, there is one HS102 currently been bidded to $250.
post #111 of 476 Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 PM

Thanks Marcos and Kenshin.. I ordered a new one earlier today. We'll see how she does. Main use will be for small class presentations, and to be un-tethered from a lap top would be wonderful. Seems Murphy's Law is especially in force for audio/visual presentations, and the fewer contraptions, cords, finicky bulbs, etc., the better...
post #112 of 476 Old 01-21-2010, 09:54 AM

Rumor has it, the production of HS201 is stopping "very" soon for HX300G; there might be a possibility that HS201 will be out of stock on Amazon soon. If you are interested in getting one, I highly doubt it will go down more in price, in some cases, it might even go up with the short supply.

I found this out while I spoke with a management level rep. on why they did not include or even sell the carrying case in the U.S.
post #113 of 476 Old 01-21-2010, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin2b View Post

Rumor has it, the production of HS201 is stopping "very" soon for HX300G; there might be a possibility that HS201 will be out of stock on Amazon soon. If you are interested in getting one, I highly doubt it will go down more in price, in some cases, it might even go up with the short supply.

I found this out while I spoke with a management level rep. on why they did not include or even sell the carrying case in the U.S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally i think that's good news; It seems to indicate that the HX300G will be the "official" replacement for the HS-201 and therefore we can expect it to debut at the same m.s.r.p. of $500.
Now, the really important question is : when will LG release a unit wit similar internal layout but in a larger case if needed, incorporating a 1920X1080 "DARK4" DMD chip illuminated by the more powerful PT-120 PhlatLight LED chipset, using a video processing chip like the HQV Reon (or similar), with adjustable zoom and better quaity lens for $3.000 or less ?
....HELLO LG, ARE YOU LISTENING ?....
post #114 of 476 Old 01-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

...The only way that i managed to see rainbows with my HS201 was by inputting a totally black image superimposed with some white highlights.

I plugged in the projector again, just to be sure it was as bad as i said it was.

And yes, it's as bad as i remember. I definitely see way more rainbows on this one than in my old Sharp DT-510, and even my old mits 1000. (5x vs 4x with white segment)

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this has the equivalent of a 3x or 2x color wheel speed.
I really don't even have to try to see them, but when i do, they become obvious in every scene that is displayed.

And by the way, i'm not even a rainbow sensitive person. I can live with DLP just fine despite the fact that i can see a few rainbows every now and then if that tells you anything. (i have a friend that came over to see my mits and could see rainbows when another friend and myself couldn't see them at all, and later, that same friend could still see them on things like subtitles on my sharp-dt510 that has a 5x color wheel)

So, i'm still clueless on how some of you can't see them at all, because if i had never seen DLP before, and this was the first time i ever saw it, it would sure make me think i'm one of those very rainbow sensitive persons even though i'm not.
post #115 of 476 Old 01-21-2010, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Kamus >>> The interesting thing is that the times i was watching a dvd and i would notice a rainbow(s) with the HS-201, it was easy enough for me to immediately reverse playing the dvd to the time(s) i noticed the rainbow(s) and almost invariably i could not see it (them) again !
I am convinced it had to do with the fact that at that specific time i had blinked and/or turned my head around in a way that made such motion sensitive to the appearance of a rainbow(s)....And, believe me, i've been playing this "game" with my HS-201 ever since as i find it almost fascinating, as in, why could i see it then and not now ? What has changed with my eyesight in the span of 30 seconds or so ?
I've seen references about this matter stating that the equivalent speed of a flashing LED illuminator versus the rotational speed of a color wheel as being anywhere from 5 times to 48 times; Anyone would care to "chime in" with these estimates ?
post #116 of 476 Old 01-22-2010, 02:33 AM

I am not sure, if I experience the same thing (rainbows) but while watching (fast) films from DVD, there is a kind of flicker / lightning in the upper area of the screen during rapid movement. I can not see rainbows, but as I said kind of lightning.
The HDMI connection should not be the reason as it happens too with component connection.
post #117 of 476 Old 01-22-2010, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I see no artifacts and no rainbows. Not with this and not with its worthy predecessor. I think I am pretty darn sensitive to RBE.
post #118 of 476 Old 01-22-2010, 04:23 PM

I am not seeing any rainbow effect on watching movie (blu-ray/DVD/Divx files) and play games (PC/Wii/PS3) with it either. Wondering if it varies by the person, like some people would get sick when playing First-person shooter, and some not...
post #119 of 476 Old 01-22-2010, 05:25 PM

Liked: 12
Hey All

I've tried my best to stay out of this debate but after 2 glasses of wine, I feel the need to add my $.02 worth.

"Rainbow affect" via my "EYE" and my "BRAIN" I see rainbow on all 3 projectors (Infocus X1 and a IN26) yet the LG H201 is in the middle of the 2.

I'm lucky, I can turn off/on the processing needed to see this rainbow affect, yet I can say (via my brain) I see more rainbows on the HS201 than my IN26

So, if you have had a projector in the past that people commented on the rainbow affect, yet it didn't bother you, then you'll do fine with this projector.

FYI, wife gave the thumbs up to the reorg of the family room, but will wait till the HX300 comes to market. I got 2 thumbs up for a pair of these

http://www.brookstone.com/slim-home-...st1FDT|8645121 (copy and paste)

and was wondering if anyone else had these recliners and how they felt about them.

I still love the HS 201 and use it every day BUT I'm waiting on the HX300 for the room change/blue ray player upgrades

Any ways, I am still looking at the the BEST image ever produced on my home screen and will gladly send this HS201 to Asia (my wife's home) when the HX300 comes out

AFM
post #120 of 476 Old 01-23-2010, 11:03 AM

This is my first projector and just got it so I can learn. I also wanted to vote with my dollars, since LG seems to want to get this technology to the masses. They should continue to upgrade the tech if it sells well.

Ok so first someone asked on page 1 if the projector projects up, Yes it does. I have my projector inverted about 3" from the ceiling it has a tiny bit of trapezoid, skinnier at the bottom. Currently the lens is almost exactly in line with the top of the screen. I can pull my screen down another 6" and re-aim the projector to try to get that out. One goal in installing it was to have 0 trapezoid.

It is difficult to aim the projector exactly correct since there is no lens adjustment. For ceiling mount you will need to put the power supply on a shelf or somewhere off the ground. The mount is not in the center of the weight when cables are attached so it has a tendency to twist. To get it just right I would recommend getting a Higher quality camera mount than the least expensive one at amazon.

You will want to mount the projector as far away from you as possible (the reason I ceiling mounted it) since sometimes you will want to run presentation mode and it is loud enough to know it is there. The normal mode is much better but feels not quite bright enough. Keep in mind my screen is bigger than it should be but I plan to upgrade asap.

I purchased the 106IN Diagonal Accuscreens HDtv Manual Wall Ceiling 52X92IN cheapo from amazon. I am projecting about a 100" sizewise the distance from the front of the projector to the front of the screen is about 11'. If you position the projector for 16:9 (like I did) there is a problem when watching 4:3 since 4:3 projects taller it will be off the top and bottom. With out zoom you can't fix this. You can position for 4:3 but then 16:9 will be smaller than it could be. Maybe mount the projector on a track?

What ever HD signal you send to the projector it does a good job scaling into the 16:9 aspect ratio. I have sent 1080p, 720p and 420p and they all just get scaled into the available pixels.

I can easily see individual pixels at 8'. If I had a better room I would project an 80" screen and sit 10' away, I have the opposite right now but this is just a test setup. I spent a total of about $650 and have a 100" screen that works really good for what it is.

The picture is good and I am really enjoying having it. I need to go but will post some more impressions later.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Lg Hs200 Portable Projector
Gear in this thread - Hs200 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page