Old 04-08-2010, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdaniel View Post

Contrast is supposedly 35,000:1, not sure what all that entails though. I have no doubts it offers a great picture, but I am having a hard time going for this unit at $2,500 versus the Epson 8500UB, when I was already planning on paying the $200 premium over the Panasonic AE4000U.

At $2,300 I would buy it for sure, but not at $2,500.

Just for $200 more (or even less than that) you can have LCOS/SXRD at a great advantage. By advantage, you get a more "film like" experience than LCD. I know 'cause I've seen all technologies.....SXRD is just more seamless and has more depth. As far as contrast, don't get reeled in by paper specs. You need to know that if this LG is comparable to the Sony VW60 then you are good to go. I for one don't know LG as a PJ company, but my LG phone has been running strong for 4 years now

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

Old 04-08-2010, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here are the screen shots. I used a Panasonic DMZC-FZ28 set on automatic about 18 feet back from the 12 wide HP screen. In the last picture you can see how bright the projector is while set on Expert 1 using Arts settings (low lamp) from the reflections off the flat black ceiling tiles. If you don't see the pause bar under the image it was not paused, which should also help with judging just how bright the pj is.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 AM

Looks GREAT! How about some ambient light shots featuring sports? Masters and ESPN perhaps?
Old 04-09-2010, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the samples. The black seem to be pretty good. I wonder why some have commented it's not this pj's strong point? Or perhaps my standard is too low? Maybe some of you expert eyes can explain it to me.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:36 PM

I only have the samsung 1590 hooked up in the theater, but I will take some shot with the lights on tomorrow. I may try taking the same shot in best mode and in most lumens. We just watched 2 SD DVDs tonight with all of the lights on, which I never thought we would be able to do.

The black levels on a black screen are not anywhere close to the rs10, but in normal viewing it just looks great.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

I have an IN76 which I just sold and am considering this or the new IN8602- has anyone seen either or these two and the LG- I'd be interested in their comments. I have not see the LG or the 8602 and likely won't before buying.

I have had InFocus pjs in the past due to mainly sharp image, great colour and accurate grey scale, decent blacks - the blacks were merely ok but acceptable. And perhaps most importantly, excellent fleshtones. The brightness was never an issue- on 90" wide screen I used a D30 filter and/or turned the brightness down

TIA
Old 04-12-2010, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
WoW,

I haven't posted in a LONG time, since deciding a few years ago to get the Sanyo Z2000, which rocked my socks off with my fixed mount 1.0 gain 120" elite screen from PP. This was an upgrade from my Sanyo PLVXP21N 1080i highest upconv projector. This forum was the best with helping me make my decision and it was the best one I ever made. The Sanyo Z2000 was so clear, everyone who saw it was just floored at the quality of the picture. I sold my house and the person called me back wanting a projector and offered to buy mine for what I paid, so I sold it. Have been in an apartment for about 1 year waiting for my new house with basement and dedicated theater room, so I started looking at "do I get the same awesome projector" or see what's new and how much more it will cost.

Then I found this thread for this projector. Holy cow, I love the reviews, love that it doesn't have the "screen door" effect, love that it doesn't have the RBE which I can see on EVERY rear/front projector I have looked at and can't stand the rainbow of fruit colors.

I will probably go ahead and order this unit tomorrow with maybe 150" screen this time, though I have to go do some paint tape test sizes tomorrow to see if that is going to be too big with people standing playing Guitar Hero, etc.

Thanks to everyone for the great reviews that have this unit, and look forward to seeing ANY pictures you want to share, also if your in the RTP area of NC and have this, send me a PM, I would love to come by and see your setup. My only real questions now are color screen (sounds like Grey is the way to go to get a little extra contrast? and white will be too bright in an all brown room (yes even ceilings)) and screen size for a 17-18' wide by 20' long with projector in soffit shelf at back of 20'.

Thanks, G.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian1 View Post

WoW,

I haven't posted in a LONG time, since deciding a few years ago to get the Sanyo Z2000, which rocked my socks off with my fixed mount 1.0 gain 120" elite screen from PP. This was an upgrade from my Sanyo PLVXP21N 1080i highest upconv projector. This forum was the best with helping me make my decision and it was the best one I ever made. The Sanyo Z2000 was so clear, everyone who saw it was just floored at the quality of the picture. I sold my house and the person called me back wanting a projector and offered to buy mine for what I paid, so I sold it. Have been in an apartment for about 1 year waiting for my new house with basement and dedicated theater room, so I started looking at "do I get the same awesome projector" or see what's new and how much more it will cost.

Then I found this thread for this projector. Holy cow, I love the reviews, love that it doesn't have the "screen door" effect, love that it doesn't have the RBE which I can see on EVERY rear/front projector I have looked at and can't stand the rainbow of fruit colors.

I will probably go ahead and order this unit tomorrow with maybe 150" screen this time, though I have to go do some paint tape test sizes tomorrow to see if that is going to be too big with people standing playing Guitar Hero, etc.

Thanks to everyone for the great reviews that have this unit, and look forward to seeing ANY pictures you want to share, also if your in the RTP area of NC and have this, send me a PM, I would love to come by and see your setup. My only real questions now are color screen (sounds like Grey is the way to go to get a little extra contrast? and white will be too bright in an all brown room (yes even ceilings)) and screen size for a 17-18' wide by 20' long with projector in soffit shelf at back of 20'.

Thanks, G.

If your going to go with such a large screen, then a white screen will probably be the way to go.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLC1843 View Post

If your going to go with such a large screen, then a white screen will probably be the way to go.

With this projector you think so? I would normally think white as well, but the theater room is a complete bat cave, brown (not black) paint on all walls with even a light brown carpet. If you walk in the room and close the door with no lights on, you can not see your hand in front of your face. It's perfect

Because of this, I thought it would be a better suit for the projector to use the grey .08 screen (CineGrey Here) to give a little better black levels which is the area this projector is lacking in. Do you guys not agree with that logic? I haven't bought yet, so can do either. Just seemed with the light output on this unit, I may want to absorb a little more of the light than with my older Z2000 which I did use a white screen for.

I am also not set in stone to get the 150". I have had the 120 and love it, but thought now may be a good time to go bigger. I need to go tape the outline of the screen on the wall, and look at the light drop from the projector sitting in the soffit box to see if it will drop too far and not be able to stand in the room without interfering in the light path. That's my biggest concern right now.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:

With this projector you think so? I would normally think white as well, but the theater room is a complete bat cave, brown (not black) paint on all walls with even a light brown carpet. If you walk in the room and close the door with no lights on, you can not see your hand in front of your face. It's perfect

Because of this, I thought it would be a better suit for the projector to use the grey .08 screen (CineGrey Here) to give a little better black levels which is the area this projector is lacking in. Do you guys not agree with that logic? I haven't bought yet, so can do either. Just seemed with the light output on this unit, I may want to absorb a little more of the light than with my older Z2000 which I did use a white screen for.

I am also not set in stone to get the 150". I have had the 120 and love it, but thought now may be a good time to go bigger. I need to go tape the outline of the screen on the wall, and look at the light drop from the projector sitting in the soffit box to see if it will drop too far and not be able to stand in the room without interfering in the light path. That's my biggest concern right now.

Well, usually if you have a batcave kind of room the idea is to use a matte white screen, usually a grey screen is used not only for reducing black levels but also if you have ambient light in the room or light colored walls. Now, although this projector is a light cannon, 150 inches is pretty large and therefore you will get a brighter image with a white screen. I guess it also depends on how far the projector will be from the screen, the further back, the less light output. I mean, it is up to you, but I think if you go with 150" you will get good black levels and a brighter image with a white screen.

Hopefully someone else can chime in about this too so you get some more views on the subject.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

go with a 1.0 matte white screen. A screen is a longer term investment than just one projector. Maybe your next pj will not be as bright??? I've done both a grey and white, and now with the black levels with todays pj's, it's a safer bet to go white

Terrence

Old 04-13-2010, 04:11 PM

Just my experience but I have a 'bat cave' and a HP screen and the combination is amazing. I gave up my white dalite screen 4 years ago and have never regretted it.

Our screen is 12 feet wide, the largest HP screen they could make. I was advised many years ago to get the largest screen possible. You can always mask it down. It is much more expensive to decide that you should have gone bigger. I purchased my HP screen through AVS (Jason) and would recommend you do the same. Remember there are some unique properties with the HP screen, one of them is that you never see any waves or wrinkles in the material.

Hope this helps. I have some photos posted earlier in this thread. I can send the high res versions if you like.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcrowe View Post

Just my experience but I have a 'bat cave' and a HP screen and the combination is amazing. I gave up my white dalite screen 4 years ago and have never regretted it.

Our screen is 12 feet wide, the largest HP screen they could make. I was advised many years ago to get the largest screen possible. You can always mask it down. It is much more expensive to decided that you should have gone bigger. I purchased my HP screen through AVS (Jason) and would recommend you do the same. Remember there are some unique properties with the HP screen, one of them is that you never see any waves or wrinkles in the material.

Hope this helps. I have some photos posted earlier in this thread. I can send the high res versions if you like.

Thanks David,
I assume you are saying HP screen meaning a "Grey" screen? I have had both and both worked great for my applications, but with this projector, even the review seems to think for best blacks get the grey screen.

"LG CF181D Projector Screen Recommendations
Since the LG CF181D's black level performance is pretty good, but hardly exceptional, I tend to first think of pairing it with a High Contrast gray screen to lower black levels a bit.

Certainly there's no shortage of "best" mode lumens to go around, so most people will still have a plenty bright image.

That said, you should consider your room (wall/ceiling/floor color), ambient light issues (day and night), etc. to determine what screen surface will work best for the mix of content you tend to watch.

Bottom line - unless you are going with an exceptionally large screen (at least as large as my Firehawk, probably), you'll be best served with a high contrast gray, like the expensive Firehawk, or any number of less expensive HC gray screens including the Elite HC gray (light gray - a "compromise surface), or the Da-lite HC Da-Mat, to name two. Or even the Da-lite HC Cinemavision, which is a light gray HD screen like the Elite (the HC Da-mat is a darker gray with lower gain)."

Ahhhhh! The Delimma.. So he says go with a grey screen unless you have a screen larger than his 128". Since I am going with a 150' I have to assume I should stick with white? Being in such a dark cave, with this bright monster, just seems natural to want the darker darks, and get the grey screen..

I will post some pictures in a bit of the room I am putting it in with the demensions, and maybe you guys can help me out with some #'s
G.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Ahhhhh! The Delimma.. So he says go with a grey screen unless you have a screen larger than his 128". Since I am going with a 150' I have to assume I should stick with white? Being in such a dark cave, with this bright monster, just seems natural to want the darker darks, and get the grey screen..

I will post some pictures in a bit of the room I am putting it in with the demensions, and maybe you guys can help me out with some #'s
G.

Actually, it should be the other way around. Because you have such a dark room, your blacks will not be hindered by light colored walls or reflections for which a gray screen would help alleviate. Therefore, a white screen with your dark room will give you great blacks and a great punchy bright picture for a large screen.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:06 PM

Hi, sorry. I have a dalite hipower retro reflective screen. It is white and reflects light back in the direction it came from, which is where the increase brightness comes from. I ordered it as big as they could make it without a seam so there is really no seating outside of the viewing cone. We really like it.

Quote:

Thanks David,
I assume you are saying HP screen meaning a "Grey" screen? I have had both and both worked great for my applications, but with this projector, even the review seems to think for best blacks get the grey screen.

"LG CF181D Projector Screen Recommendations
Since the LG CF181D's black level performance is pretty good, but hardly exceptional, I tend to first think of pairing it with a High Contrast gray screen to lower black levels a bit.

Certainly there's no shortage of "best" mode lumens to go around, so most people will still have a plenty bright image.

That said, you should consider your room (wall/ceiling/floor color), ambient light issues (day and night), etc. to determine what screen surface will work best for the mix of content you tend to watch.

Bottom line - unless you are going with an exceptionally large screen (at least as large as my Firehawk, probably), you'll be best served with a high contrast gray, like the expensive Firehawk, or any number of less expensive HC gray screens including the Elite HC gray (light gray - a "compromise surface), or the Da-lite HC Da-Mat, to name two. Or even the Da-lite HC Cinemavision, which is a light gray HD screen like the Elite (the HC Da-mat is a darker gray with lower gain)."

G.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

IMO,
A high power screen is not the way to go with such a bright projector. Of course I would have to see the above poster's setup to give you MY opinion. I have a matte white 1.0 screen mated with an Epson 1080UB Pro and it's a great combo. I now have the upgrade bug (sorta) and I like SXRD tech (used to own the Sony Pearl). Since tech has gone up and the prices go down, I find it hard to go to the >$3K forum nowadays.

Terrence

Old 04-16-2010, 04:58 PM

I had a 12' wide dalite matte white screen before getting the hipower. I was always able to see wrinkles in the matte white screen and it was a bit distracting on white scenes. For our set up, total light control, two rows of seats, movies only, I really like the increase in brightness that we now have with the LG and HP. We are now able to leave any of the room lights on (overhead lights above the back row, rope lights around the stage and seating). We now have 17 hours on the LG and are planning on enjoying 2 movies tonight. I know our setup may not work for everyone, but we really like and enjoy it. Thanks to everyone who has PM'd - hope the info has helpful.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I have one on the way and will post my thoughts this weekend.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
Old 04-26-2010, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Joe..... your getting to play with all the toys these days.............

Interested in your opinion vis a vie the BenQ W6000, Vivitek 5080, and the Epson 8500/9500.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
Old 04-26-2010, 07:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

Joe..... your getting to play with all the toys these days.............

Interested in your opinion vis a vie the BenQ W6000, Vivitek 5080, and the Epson 8500/9500.

I will definitely comment on how the LG compares to them as well as a few high end models...

Old 04-29-2010, 02:26 PM

Based on the the review over at projectorreviews, I decided to get the CF181D. So far, I've been very pleased with this decision. The picture quality is huge improvement over the Infocus IN76 that's on it's way out.

However, the proejctor is not without issues. I've had a few forgivable issues: warm-up screen is upside-down when ceiling mounted, ceiling mounting screw size is not specified in the manual (I think it's M3), and my Chief RPAU mount didn't fit because the mounting holes are so close together.

Those issues aside, I've still got an annoying HDMI synchronization issue, and I think they are all 1080p related. My Sony BDP-S350 won't sync at all when connected directly to the projector, but strangely enough, it works when plumbed through my Denon 3806 receiver. Sadly, it also doesn't work when my Monoprice 4x1 switch is in the loop, so I'm limited to only 2 HDMI devices at once right now.

Neither the Blu-Ray player or the XBox 360 work properly when the switch is in the loop. By swapping cables around, I was able to get both to sync, but I still experience audio dropouts and picture corruption (purple lines) when using the switch. I have a 5x1 switch coming from Monoprice that I'm hoping will help the issue, just in case it's an issue isolated to the 4x1 switch I'm using. However, I have my doubts since the Blu-Ray player won't even sync when it's plugged directly into the projector.

My support call to LG was a nightmare. LG doesn't support this projector directly -- "LG Commercial" does. But even after calling them, I was traded off to SIX support technicians before I finally reached the "supervisor." Sadly, it's clear that nobody in this support chain has any experience dealing with HDMI support problems. The supervisor I spoke to was asking questions and doing his best to understand the situation, but they obviously have very little to work with. I suspect a lack of training, or a lack of established communication paths for resolving problems.

One tech I worked with (#2 of 6) even insisted that since this was a "display device" that it did not have any firmware and would not need any update.

With my call, I was really just hoping to draw attention to some syncing issues at 1080p, and hopefully drive the production of a firmware update that would address the problem. I never got a tech to understand that, and the last guy I spoke with seemed to jump straight to "sending the projector in for service" even though it's extremely unlikely to be a single-projector issue.

Edit: I'm on the phone with ProjectorPeople right now. The guy I'm talking to is 10x more knowledgeable about this sort of issue than any of the people I spoke with at LG support. Hopefully I'm able to get my issue reported up through that chain instead of trying to break through the impenetrable wall of untrained CS reps working the phone at LG.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:08 PM

Apranger :

very surprised about your HDMI issue;
I give you the list of devices connected to my LG181 :
- Oppo DV983H 1080p (USA)
- panasonic BD30 1080p (USA)
- panasonic BD35 1080p (EUR)
- Onkyo 606 switch 4/1 1080p
- PC ATI video card 1080p
- PC Nvidia video card 1080p
- monster cable HDTV 1000 HDMI 16ft

All of them are working correctly on both HDMI (1 and 2) plug, even with the onkyo switch in the loop.

So i am afraid it is a very particular issue within your devices
Old 04-29-2010, 09:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Not sure about the warm up screen being upside down either when ceiling mounted. Every projector I have ever had or reviewed starts out like that until you tell it how you are using it.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

My LG will hit today but I had another thought on the Chief RPA-U. I have never not had it work. If the holes are closer you could have reversed the connection bars. That may have worked. I guess I will see today. I do have a backup on hand from Peerless so either way I should be good to go.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:07 AM

The connection holes on the projector are such that the main rectanglular piece of the RPAU perfectly covers them up. I'm thinking about making some sort of adapter plate with some spacers to make it work, but I've also got a backup mount in the meantime.

The thing with the warm-up screen is that it stays upside-down even after being set to ceiling mode. It's silly and it doesn't affect the performance at all, I just found it amusing.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by APranger View Post

The connection holes on the projector are such that the main rectanglular piece of the RPAU perfectly covers them up. I'm thinking about making some sort of adapter plate with some spacers to make it work, but I've also got a backup mount in the meantime.

The thing with the warm-up screen is that it stays upside-down even after being set to ceiling mode. It's silly and it doesn't affect the performance at all, I just found it amusing.

Got it.

That is funny and as long as it doesn't show the image that way I guess it's fine too. As for the RPA-U this will be the first time it won't work! Thanks for the heads up.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:02 AM

On the following picture you can see how my LG181 is connected to the Chief RPAU directly without any adaptater plate.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-01-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by arayle View Post

On the following picture you can see how my LG181 is connected to the Chief RPAU directly without any adaptater plate.

[IMG][/IMG]

Great work! It is sorta of a brainteaser.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arayle View Post

[IMG][/IMG]

Hi, Could you identify the parts you used in this set up? I'm planning to buy a CF181D soon and need to figure out how to do it right. Anyone else like to share how they did it? Thanks.

Tags
Cf181d Sxrd Proj 1080p 35000 1