LG CF181D, New SXRD-projector from LG - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1266 Old 12-05-2009, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The new CF181D which apparently is a brand new SXRD-projector from LG look's very interesting. Atleast if one is lacking a dedicated home cinema room According to Projectorcentral it has a best (cinema) mode brightness of 1219 ansi lumens after calibration in high lamp mode. So it seems like a great projector for situations when ambient light is a problem.

So is there anyone here who have had the opportunity to see one in action? Would be interesting to know if it is a projector worth investing in?

Test on Projectorcentral: http://www.projectorcentral.com/LG_C...or_reviews.htm

Manual: http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/...anual_5353.pdf

Brochure: http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/..._spec_5353.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1266 Old 12-05-2009, 11:55 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQsdSRFX0v4

It'll all work at the same time....one day.
post #3 of 1266 Old 12-05-2009, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrench View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQsdSRFX0v4

Sounds like they (Projectiondreams) like it
post #4 of 1266 Old 12-05-2009, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
looks awesome, massive light cannon! Looks like it can do over 200" easily.

Finally I can start seeing people use their projector for much larger screens instead of the pitiful 90"!

Current Projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #5 of 1266 Old 12-06-2009, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Interesting. I wonder if this is using technology from Sony (SXRD). If I remember correctly, LG had announced a far east market SXRD projector a while ago.

I also didn't see anything about whether this projector is a sealed design (I think most / all) of the existing LCOS based projectors have sealed designs, which eliminates dust blobs, a bit of a problem with LCD projectors.

I'm glad to see LG fielding such a competent projector in the mid-range (from the reviews so far), and filling a nice niche for high contrast, high brightness projectors.
post #6 of 1266 Old 12-06-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.J.E View Post

The new CF181D which apparently is a brand new SXRD-projector from LG look's very interesting. Atleast if one is lacking a dedicated home cinema room According to Projectorcentral it has a best (cinema) mode brightness of 1219 ansi lumens after calibration in high lamp mode. So it seems like a great projector for situations when ambient light is a problem.

So is there anyone here who have had the opportunity to see one in action? Would be interesting to know if it is a projector worth investing in?

Test on Projectorcentral: http://www.projectorcentral.com/LG_C...or_reviews.htm

Manual: http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/...anual_5353.pdf

Brochure: http://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf/..._spec_5353.pdf

Just thought i would throw my .02 in. SXRD is Sony's proprietary LCOS technology, so LG will is LCOS, not SXRD. Just like JVC with their DHILA tech, which was their proprietary LCOS Technology. Im sure LG will have their own name for it. I am interested in seeing how this projector stacks up against the Panasonic PT-AE4000u, and the Epson 8500UB.
post #7 of 1266 Old 12-06-2009, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

According to Projectorcentral.com the CF181D is based upon Sony's SXRD-technology, guess LG is manufacturing it under some sort of OEM licence from Sony?

Link: http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...s&entry_id=301
post #8 of 1266 Old 12-06-2009, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.J.E View Post

According to Projectorcentral.com the CF181D is based upon Sony's SXRD-technology, guess LG is manufacturing it under some sort of OEM licence from Sony?

Link: http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...s&entry_id=301

Or just using the SXRD chips from Sony, much like DLP projector manufacturers use DLP chips, but that doesn't mean the DLP projectors are TI OEMs (or at least I wouldn't use OEM that way).

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #9 of 1266 Old 12-07-2009, 08:18 AM

If i had a wall that could accept a 200" screen looks i have a light canon now that can do it nicely.
post #10 of 1266 Old 12-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

The lamp also looks cheap at $250. Looked at the manual pdf and it seems to have a 24-stage manual iris along with (or in place of) the auto iris - it would seem that with the combination of lamp power and manual iris you could get a better black level than what pc tested - would love to see art get his hands on this thing.
post #11 of 1266 Old 12-08-2009, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

What would the prospects be for such a projector in a small HT (large bedroom space)?

I ask because my wife does not like casual watching in the existing room because I get po'd about her having a bright spot on for reading and what that does to the experience.

With a light cannon I would think that CR and blacks would be much less affected by her having a strong reading light on while watching

(My screen is around 100 inched diagonal) - The walls are dark red but the ceiling is white so there are some problems with reflected light diminishing the picture
post #12 of 1266 Old 12-08-2009, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This would rock for tailgating.... a bucket full of awesome !
post #13 of 1266 Old 12-08-2009, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Strange that LG is one of the only OEMs to make such a bright home LCOS projector. Most of the other manufacturers have focused on contrast (not necc. a bad thing), which leaves a niche wide open for 'very bright home LCOS projector'.
post #14 of 1266 Old 12-12-2009, 06:28 AM

I have the pleasure to use that Projector since June and already 400hours of movies.
I confirm the test descirbed by projectorcentral , it is not far from the reality.
The LG is very bright, low lamp mode is the suitable mode for my 130 inched diagonal screen.
post #15 of 1266 Old 12-12-2009, 11:07 AM

Did you get a chance to compare it to any other projectors.

It just seems like this projector came out of nowhere. I had been considering the Sony 15, and maybe even the 85 or the JVC's, but this one sounds really interesting.

I want a bright projector and was leaning towards the Benq W6000 (i have the 5000 right now).
post #16 of 1266 Old 12-12-2009, 02:40 PM

arayle:

Could you give us more info, such as your screen gain (grey or white), black level, flexiability, convergence and maybe screenshots, etc..

How would this projector look on a 120" Hi Def Grey Screen with a gain of .08, in a 23' by 13' Bat Cave?
post #17 of 1266 Old 12-13-2009, 02:35 AM

I had the opportunity to compare the LG 181 to:
Sony 10 and 80: the LG is much better than the sony 10 or 15 and very similar to Sony 80 or 85 except brightness which is the stong point of the LG
JVC HD350 : first of all on JVC the blacks are blacker it is a great experience if your room is dark, in that case I do recommend JVC, in the other way LG gives a much more natural,3D and bright image.
Planar 8150 : similar black level, a better sharpness and convergence = DLP

About the screen, I experienced White and grey with and without gain.
first : white screen gain 1.2 : it was definitively too bright
second : grey screen gain 0.8 : it was much better : blacker blacks, unfortunately the texture quality was poor : a lot of grains and small sequins
Third : white screen gain 1 : still too bright in full RGB mode
So I recommand a grey screen with 0.8 gain to get the best black level on LG

About Flexibility : very easy to place the LG in your room, even if zoom and vertical lens shift are manual.

Convergence : due to Lcos system it is not perfect, similar to Sony and JVC projector except there is no possibity to rectify the convergence in menu.

Arayle
post #18 of 1266 Old 12-13-2009, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arayle View Post

Sony 10 and 80: the LG is much better than the sony 10 or 15 and very similar to Sony 80 or 85 except brightness which is the stong point of the LG
JVC HD350 : first of all on JVC the blacks are blacker it is a great experience if your room is dark, in that case I do recommend JVC, in the other way LG gives a much more natural,3D and bright image.

second : grey screen gain 0.8 : it was much better : blacker blacks, unfortunately the texture quality was poor : a lot of grains and small sequins

About Flexibility : very easy to place the LG in your room, even if zoom and vertical lens shift are manual.

Convergence : due to Lcos system it is not perfect, similar to Sony and JVC projector except there is no possibity to rectify the convergence in menu.

Arayle

Do you know if the CF181D has sealed lightpath like the Sony:s?
post #19 of 1266 Old 12-13-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:

Arayle

Thanks Arayle. Your observations are much appreciated.

I am in the process of upgrading and my major concern is to match the projector to the 120" HI Def Grey.08 gain screen. At the top of my list is the JVC RS15, but the LG 181 caught my eye, due to the price and the brightness. I have seen the RS15 at my friends, projected on a 112" Grandview Silver, 1.3 gain screen and was impressed with the picture. The blacks really stood out and brightness was excellent.

I am wondering if the LG 181 would give me a simular quality picture, with black levels the same or very close to the RS15, on my 120" HI Def Grey screen. It would be nice if I could see a demo of the LG 181, but there is no chance of that. Very few dealers in my area and most do not stock demo's.
post #20 of 1266 Old 12-13-2009, 06:46 AM

I don't know about sealed lightpath like the Sony , sorry

I am afraid, you will never get a similar black level like the JVC RS15 delivers, even using a grey screen !
The Black is definitively the strong point of the JVC, so far I did not see a similar one.
At the opposite, JVC will never give a brighter image than the LG, even with a white gain 1.8 screen.
You have to choose in accordance with your room darkness and your wallet...

Arayle
post #21 of 1266 Old 12-13-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:

I don't know about sealed lightpath like the Sony , sorry

I am afraid, you will never get a similar black level like the JVC RS15 delivers, even using a grey screen !
The Black is definitively the strong point of the JVC, so far I did not see a similar one.
At the opposite, JVC will never give a brighter image than the LG, even with a white gain 1.8 screen.
You have to choose in accordance with your room darkness and your wallet...

Arayle

Good point. As always there are trade offs.
post #22 of 1266 Old 12-13-2009, 10:45 AM

This LG is more than interesting. I'm glad you got to compare it to the sony 15 as that was on my short list.

I have my projector Benq W5000 in the family room and while it was initially a compromise to a home theater room, I know really enjoy it there.

Most of the view is done at night, however, like right now we are watching football with some light.

I think the LG might fit the bill.

I would like to see more reviews however. I am uncomfortable with LED's due to the dust blob issue.

I am just waiting now on the Infocus 8602 reviews to pull the trigger.
post #23 of 1266 Old 12-13-2009, 10:53 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

I have the pleasure to use that Projector since June and already 400hours of movies.
I confirm the test descirbed by projectorcentral , it is not far from the reality.
The LG is very bright, low lamp mode is the suitable mode for my 130 inched diagonal screen.

Aaryle,

Thanks for all of your input on the new LG. I'm curious, though. In that the Projector Central article said the model was just coming out in December. Do you have a pre-production version?

Also, I've been strongly looking at the Epson 8500UB, but the LG's brightness got my attention. On paper, the LG has 1800 lumens and the Epson has 1600. Doesn't seem that huge of a difference, but PJ Central makes it out to be huge. I'm looking at a 126-142" Carada BW. Is the extra lumens worth the contrast trade off?

Last, how does the sharpness compare? I've seen early generations of SXRD PJs and thought the sharpness was soft.

Thanks again, Aaryle
post #24 of 1266 Old 12-13-2009, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post

Aaryle,

Thanks for all of your input on the new LG. I'm curious, though. In that the Projector Central article said the model was just coming out in December. Do you have a pre-production version?

Also, I've been strongly looking at the Epson 8500UB, but the LG's brightness got my attention. On paper, the LG has 1800 lumens and the Epson has 1600. Doesn't seem that huge of a difference, but PJ Central makes it out to be huge. I'm looking at a 126-142" Carada BW. Is the extra lumens worth the contrast trade off?

Last, how does the sharpness compare? I've seen early generations of SXRD PJs and thought the sharpness was soft.

Thanks again, Aaryle

The difference in lumens is not great when it comes to max lumens, it's rather the difference in lumens between both models best movie mode that is great in favor of the LG, atleast according to Projectorcentral
post #25 of 1266 Old 12-13-2009, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I hope this has comparable blacks, sharpness and quality to the other most popular brands (Mits 6800, Panny AE4000 and Epson 8500UB). It blows them away in foot lumens at 16'.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #26 of 1266 Old 12-13-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post

Aaryle,

I think so, I purchased that model in France where a few of them were tested, before to enter the US market ?
Just before, I got the LG AF115, but due to some convergence deficiency, I took the opportunity from LG to replace the first one by the coming model CF181D
post #27 of 1266 Old 12-16-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Bumping this to see if anyone has received one of these in US and can provide some feedback

I notice it is available at a forum sponsor; and I believe it's the one I want; but the sponsor has some additional constraints (which I consider appropriate) for someone like me that returned a previous pj after testing / seeing rainbows / having some other problems with initial pj. So a return would be problemmatic and I really would like some owner feedback on these units to have high confidence it's right form me.

Any one get one / can provide opinion?
post #28 of 1266 Old 12-16-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch View Post

Bumping this to see if anyone has received one of these in US and can provide some feedback

I second that. Just sold my W5000 and looking at this as a replacement.
post #29 of 1266 Old 12-16-2009, 03:22 PM

I emailed him a few days ago and he said he is expecting one in the next few weeks or so.

I know he likes a bright image and I am very interested in his opinion.
post #30 of 1266 Old 12-16-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirageburbank View Post

I emailed him a few days ago and he said he is expecting one in the next few weeks or so.

I know he likes a bright image and I am very interested in his opinion.

I hope it's soon, I'm without a projector until I buy a new one.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Cf181d Sxrd Proj 1080p 35000 1
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page