post #361 of 1341 Old 03-13-2010, 05:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Are you talking about the PS3 firmware update for games or Blu Ray movies? Supposedly, there are two separate updates. The first one, for games, is supposedly Summer. The second one for 3D Blu Ray support, it supposedly Fall.

Realizing that Sony is going to take to long, I'd be willing to try it with a Bluray player. I am still stuck on the glasses thing though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1341 Old 03-13-2010, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by defiancecp View Post

It's not really "flicker", since it's too fast, but it's like you can almost perceive a flicker if your head is moving. Kinda. Hard to describe. Enough to reaffirm my belief that passive has a potential for a slightly better experience (unless the refresh rates go even further!), but the only passive solution that comes close to this level of separation is infitec, and color correction for that is beyond ridiculous.

What you are seeing is Judder. When a projector does 3:2 pulldown of a filmed source it has to fill in the missing frames (aka 24fps for film). That causes this jerky motion. You'll see a lot in Avatar at the movies due to their showing it digital 3D. Some projectors now do 24fps (actually 48fps) to reduce this. Judder in 2D isn't annoying, but in 3D it's very annoying as your brain wants to fill in the 3D image and make it solid and it can't. It's a hurdle that 3D needs to overcome to really be good fluid 3D.
post #363 of 1341 Old 03-13-2010, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting thought. The projector is so reasonable.
post #364 of 1341 Old 03-14-2010, 08:54 PM

Hey guys - long time reader, not usually much of a poster

I recently purchased one of these and even on my beige-painted wall it looks fantastic - need to get a screen!

Anyhow, I'm trying to get it set up and stable - I am running everything thru my receiver and outputting with one HDMI cable to the projector. The problem is the 25foot cable I have works like 10% of the time - most of the time it just doesn't detect any signal. I tried another 20 foot cable and am having the same problems.

I can hook up a 6-foot cable to the PJ and have no problems whatsoever - is my problem due to the distance I'm trying to run? If so, what cables do you recommend I get to remedy this?

Thanks!
post #365 of 1341 Old 03-15-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazansky View Post

Hey guys - long time reader, not usually much of a poster

I recently purchased one of these and even on my beige-painted wall it looks fantastic - need to get a screen!

Anyhow, I'm trying to get it set up and stable - I am running everything thru my receiver and outputting with one HDMI cable to the projector. The problem is the 25foot cable I have works like 10% of the time - most of the time it just doesn't detect any signal. I tried another 20 foot cable and am having the same problems.

I can hook up a 6-foot cable to the PJ and have no problems whatsoever - is my problem due to the distance I'm trying to run? If so, what cables do you recommend I get to remedy this?

Thanks!

I got the hd66 last week. I am waiting for Monoprice to open back up so I can get a projector mount. I tried it out for the first time tonight and sat it on top of my ladder with my 103" Focupix.

I also got a 30 foot HDMI cable and ran that from the Denon 1910 without any problems. I didn't have any cut out of video signal. I have my settings to source lock and unchecked all other source inputs in the menu, except the HDMI. I don't know if this has to do with success.

Is it possible you have bad cables. I think I paid like $20 off of Amazon for mine.

As a side note, to my surpise, my wife actually likes the screen and wants a bigger one. I thought she would throw a fit. She might throw a fit when she sees the projector mounted on the ceiling...She doesn't understand things like having to have the projector mounted.

I was also really impressed with the picture. Some scenes were very clear and others not so much. Obviously, I have seen what the projector can do with my basic settings that I got off of here and if I feed it a good signal I get a good picture.

I did notice that the brightness setting absolutely needed to be adjusted down from the default of 50. I watched a whole movie thinking the screen didn't look right. It had a white kind of almost washed out look, but not as bad as it sounds. I had a widescreen movie with bars at the top and bottom which were easy to see but not too bad. I clicked the brightness down to about 46 and the bars pretty much disappeared and made the picture look much better. I still have to play around with it.
post #366 of 1341 Old 03-15-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:

I can hook up a 6-foot cable to the PJ and have no problems whatsoever - is my problem due to the distance I'm trying to run? If so, what cables do you recommend I get to remedy this?Thanks!

This is a common problem on all projectors, but typically more of a problem on 1080p projectors. However because of the HD66 higher frequency capability, I would try a heavier cable, maybe 22 or 24 awg (gauge)--the lower the number, the thicker the wire. The thicker gauges are stiffer but carry more signal data without sync issues. Also, make sure the cable is 1.3b or better hdmi compliant. Older cables may not be. monoprice.com (undergoing maintenance at the moment) has excellent longer cables for a good price. Add on a couple of feet for bending behind the projector so you do not have to force a tight bend in the cable.
post #367 of 1341 Old 03-15-2010, 08:27 AM

When hooked up to my ps3 everytime you put in a dvd, stop a dvd, etc it displays a blue screen and searches for display. I have set the ps3 to only display 480p and 720p, set the hd66 to only use hdmi source, not auto switch, etc, and I can't get it to stop doing this. Is there something I'm doing wrong, is there something wrong with my ps3 or projector, or is this just something you have to live with?
post #368 of 1341 Old 03-15-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordcrews View Post

When hooked up to my ps3 everytime you put in a dvd, stop a dvd, etc it displays a blue screen and searches for display. I have set the ps3 to only display 480p and 720p, set the hd66 to only use hdmi source, not auto switch, etc, and I can't get it to stop doing this. Is there something I'm doing wrong, is there something wrong with my ps3 or projector, or is this just something you have to live with?

I am a newbie when it comes to projectors but I wonder if the 'source lock' setting on the projector would help your situation. Other than that I have no suggestions.
post #369 of 1341 Old 03-15-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingaboard View Post

I am a newbie when it comes to projectors but I wonder if the 'source lock' setting on the projector would help your situation. Other than that I have no suggestions.

I'm pretty sure I turned that on, I'll check when I get home, tried 3 other blue-ray players also, and they all flashed to blue screens, for a second or 2 while starting up/switching from menus to movie and back. It really seems blue-ray is just not ready for prime time yet. I have a useless HD-dvd player that doesn't have this problem, really wish hd-dvd had won the format war, to bad the deck was stacked against it. ;-(
post #370 of 1341 Old 03-15-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure I turned that on, I'll check when I get home, tried 3 other blue-ray players also, and they all flashed to blue screens, for a second or 2 while starting up/switching from menus to movie and back. It really seems blue-ray is just not ready for prime time yet. I have a useless HD-dvd player that doesn't have this problem, really wish hd-dvd had won the format war, to bad the deck was stacked against it. ;-(

This happens on my Mits HC3800 1080p too, especially when the input source does not match the projector output. Try making all your sources 720p output to the projector and see if that helps--especially the blu-ray, which tries to output 1080p in hdmi. The other consideration for hdmi is that sound is also sent over the cable. See if you can turn the hdmi sound option off--if you are sending sound through a different source, of course. My son does a lot of game playing using his xbox set at 1080p through component, but we noticed that within some of the older games, the content itself changes from within the game, raisng havoc on the output and making the image jump or go to blue screen now and then. If you are playing older ps3 games, then you might be seeing the flip/flop from 480p to 720p now and then as the ps3 tries to internally upscale the signal and causes a glitch in the output. Just some random thoughts. I did have an Optoma HD70 for several years--720p, and never had the kind of sync problems you are talking about though, even with multiple sources, so it probably has something to do with the HD66's higher frequency capability for 3D.
post #371 of 1341 Old 03-15-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

This happens on my Mits HC3800 1080p too, especially when the input source does not match the projector output. Try making all your sources 720p output to the projector and see if that helps--especially the blu-ray, which tries to output 1080p in hdmi. The other consideration for hdmi is that sound is also sent over the cable. See if you can turn the hdmi sound option off--if you are sending sound through a different source, of course. My son does a lot of game playing using his xbox set at 1080p through component, but we noticed that within some of the older games, the content itself changes from within the game, raisng havoc on the output and making the image jump or go to blue screen now and then. If you are playing older ps3 games, then you might be seeing the flip/flop from 480p to 720p now and then as the ps3 tries to internally upscale the signal and causes a glitch in the output. Just some random thoughts. I did have an Optoma HD70 for several years--720p, and never had the kind of sync problems you are talking about though, even with multiple sources, so it probably has something to do with the HD66's higher frequency capability for 3D.

I don't understand why the ps3 won't let me uncheck 480p and just leave 720p checked, and just output everything in that mode. My directtv dvr allows that, my hd-dvd player allows that, the 360 allows that. It also seem strange the hd66 takes so long to switch modes, I've tried the ps3 on plasma sets, lcd sets, dlp sets, and on them, you don't notice it's even changed video mode, unless you look in the menus to see what mode you are in.
post #372 of 1341 Old 03-15-2010, 11:04 AM

One other question, I have an 80" diag 16x9 screen, and the image is about 3/4ths of an inch bigger on the left than the right. I guess I didn't get the projector centered, even though I used a laser level. Is there anyway to fix this without moving the projector, and does anyone know of a calculator that will let you put in the distance from screen, screen size, image size left, right, etc and it tell you how far to move it left or right?

Thinking about it, I bet it is that I centered the mount, and projector, but the lens is 3.42 inches to the right of center, so I bet I need to move the projector 3.42 inches to the left.
post #373 of 1341 Old 03-15-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:

One other question, I have an 80" diag 16x9 screen, and the image is about 3/4ths of an inch bigger on the left than the right. I guess I didn't get the projector centered, even though I used a laser level. Is there anyway to fix this without moving the projector, and does anyone know of a calculator that will let you put in the distance from screen, screen size, image size left, right, etc and it tell you how far to move it left or right?

Thinking about it, I bet it is that I centered the mount, and projector, but the lens is 3.42 inches to the right of center, so I bet I need to move the projector 3.42 inches to the left.

Yep you have a horizontal keystone problem. This projector only has vertical keystoning, so your only alternative is to move the pojector mount over 3.42 inches. YES, projector LENSES need to be centered, NOT the projector--common mistake... It might be easier to move the screen over?

Since your PS3 forces both 480p and 720p, then I'm thinking that is your problem. Plasmas and LCDs seem to be more tolerant of sync issue than projectors unfortunately.
post #374 of 1341 Old 03-15-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:

Yep you have a horizontal keystone problem. This projector only has vertical keystoning, so your only alternative is to move the pojector mount over 3.42 inches. YES, projector LENSES need to be centered, NOT the projector--common mistake... It might be easier to move the screen over?

Well my mount will let me move the projector almost 3inch in each direction, so, maybe 1/2" off won't be noticeable at all, if it is, moving it over a few inches won't be much trouble. The screen is centered above a fireplace, so it would look bad off center. Really looks like they would have a label on the bottom of the projector, saying center of screen must be here, have the mount holes centered the lens, or provide horizontal keystoning.

Quote:

Since your PS3 forces both 480p and 720p, then I'm thinking that is your problem. Plasmas and LCDs seem to be more tolerant of sync issue than projectors unfortunately.

This seems to be a problem with a lot of blue ray players, like they didn't put a lot of thought into designing them. I tried 3 different blue ray players, and they all had issues with swaping modes back and forth when going from menus to playing video. The xbox 360, wii, hd-dvd player, mac-mini, direct tv hddvr don't have this problem.
post #375 of 1341 Old 03-15-2010, 08:49 PM

Thanks for your help guys! I'm going to order a 45 foot 22awg cable from monoprice so hopefully that works out for me!

Now I just need to decide if I'm going to go 100" or 120" screen! I'll be sitting about 15ish feet from the projector and the wall itself is 12 feet wide (10ft ceilings). If I go 120 it'll take up quite a bit of that wall width wise. Any suggestions? I will use this mostly for HD Sports and some gaming.
post #376 of 1341 Old 03-15-2010, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I keep wondering how bright this is. I'm struggling to find something very bright.. and reasonable.. to project about a 16' image. Too many 1920x1080 projectors have such a low lumen count that I figure they'd look terrible at that size. Maybe I'm wrong, but my math says I really need something at least 2000 lumen to look "good" especially in an environment that will have ambient light, no matter what I do.

The HD66 is the one I keep coming back to as a cheap potential option...
post #377 of 1341 Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your help guys! I'm going to order a 45 foot 22awg cable from monoprice so hopefully that works out for me!

Now I just need to decide if I'm going to go 100" or 120" screen! I'll be sitting about 15ish feet from the projector and the wall itself is 12 feet wide (10ft ceilings). If I go 120 it'll take up quite a bit of that wall width wise. Any suggestions? I will use this mostly for HD Sports and some gaming.

Go 120". I had a 126" screen with my 720p projector and it was great, especially at 15 feet. Much larger and you'll see the dlp screen, though. This projector has the lumens to easily handle that size.
post #378 of 1341 Old 03-15-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmservo View Post

I keep wondering how bright this is. I'm struggling to find something very bright.. and reasonable.. to project about a 16' image. Too many 1920x1080 projectors have such a low lumen count that I figure they'd look terrible at that size. Maybe I'm wrong, but my math says I really need something at least 2000 lumen to look "good" especially in an environment that will have ambient light, no matter what I do.

The HD66 is the one I keep coming back to as a cheap potential option...

I have a Mits HC3800 1080p projecting on a 145" screen and it's plenty bright even in low lamp mode. So I would think the HD66 will do a 16 foot screen okay since it's a lot brighter. That said, you are going to see the screen door and fuzzier image with this size screen unless you sit around 25 feet back since the HD66 is 720p. Are you sure you meant a 16' image? You are talking about roughly an 8'x14' screen.
post #379 of 1341 Old 03-15-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:

I bought a roll of butcher paper for $5 and covered my wall with it, moved the projector back till it filled my wall width wise, then moved it forward until I got an image size that I liked that looked good in my lighting conditions.
post #380 of 1341 Old 03-15-2010, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I have a Mits HC3800 1080p projecting on a 145" screen and it's plenty bright even in low lamp mode. So I would think the HD66 will do a 16 foot screen okay since it's a lot brighter. That said, you're are going to see the screen door and fuzzier image with this size screen unless you sit around 25 feet back since the HD66 is 720p. Are you sure you meant a 16' image? You are talking about roughly an 8'x14' screen.

I already have the screen, one I've used last year (in the Outdoor Theater forum), it's a 16'x10' screen. I have another screen, roughly 22'x14, which will be in my hands shortly. Typically, when setup, I'm about 20+ feet back.

But that's the nature of this, a cheap decent projector for outdoor (night time) use.
post #381 of 1341 Old 03-16-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmservo View Post

I already have the screen, one I've used last year (in the Outdoor Theater forum), it's a 16'x10' screen. I have another screen, roughly 22'x14, which will be in my hands shortly. Typically, when setup, I'm about 20+ feet back.

But that's the nature of this, a cheap decent projector for outdoor (night time) use.

Okay, lets do this scientifically. Enjoyment of screen brightness is typically determined in foot lamberts. 12-16fl is the standard for movies. This projector specs at 2500 lumens. A review stated it can do 2200 lumens. That would be with new bulb etc. So I will use 2000 lumens as a top average. fl=lumens/screen sq.ft. The 10x16=160 sqft., so 2000/160= 12.5 fl. That's probably the mininum you want to go. The larger screen would be around 7 fl., so you would need about a 4000 lumen projector to drive it--don't know of any that powerful that are not expensive. There are other variables too, such as the gain of the screen. The above calcs assume a 1.0 gain screen. You can muliply the fl by the gain to get your real fl. Also, bright movies can get away with less fl, and dark movies need more. Hope this helps.
post #382 of 1341 Old 03-16-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:

My "screen" is 120". Using the wall right now and it looks great. My problem is getting someone to ship a screen out here. I haven't started looking yet but I've got doubts. I would go bigger but there is a built in "frame" on my wall. I'll post some pics in a bit.
post #383 of 1341 Old 03-16-2010, 11:48 AM

this work?

post #384 of 1341 Old 03-16-2010, 11:51 AM

yup. Ok, disclaimer.... These images are unedited taken with a nikon d-70 without a tripod. Makes them a little blurry. The room is completely dark and the shutter is set at various settings from 1"-6".
post #385 of 1341 Old 03-16-2010, 11:52 AM

post #386 of 1341 Old 03-16-2010, 11:54 AM

also, obviously I took these at an angle so I could at least set them on something flat since I don't have my tripod handy.

post #387 of 1341 Old 03-16-2010, 11:54 AM

post #388 of 1341 Old 03-16-2010, 02:04 PM

I probably sound like an idiot asking this, but I can't seem to access the color saturation or tint controls on my HD66. The manual says I need to be in "Video Mode" to access them, but I'm not quite sure what it means by that. I currently have my PS3 hooked up via HDMI. Any thoughts?
post #389 of 1341 Old 03-16-2010, 02:46 PM

hi guys...

what would be the best choice??
Acer h5360 or Optoma hd66, for:

- sports
- hd movies
- sd movies
- 3d

Or which one is the best overall??

best regards,

Alexandre from Portugal
post #390 of 1341 Old 03-16-2010, 05:44 PM

Well pulled the trigger with the 20% Dell Small Business coupon, showed out of stock but it took the order anyway, came to $608 after tax. I'm not in a hurry to get it so I figured even if I had to wait for the stock to come in, it would be a good price.

Will try the settings in this thread and report back whenever I get the projector in (hopefully the order goes though to completion!). I owned a HD65 last year for our summer backyard theater, and that's what this will be used for mostly. Not a lot of room in the house for setting it up unless we move furniture around.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page