Optoma HD66 - First 3D home theatre/gaming projector - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1341 Old 03-26-2010, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
finally got the hd66 mounted today using the $16 Monoprice universal short mount. I don't recommend using this mount. It took some fanagaling and screwing around with it to get it to work. Not to mention the fact I had to go to a specialty screw store nearby to get M3 screws. HomeDepot only had M4's as the smallest. They should have used larger, more common screws.

The universal arms on this mount are painted all white, including the threads which makes putting screws in a little bit of a pain. You feel like you are cross threading the screws in the arms.

Due to the length of screws I had to get, I ended up having to use some spacers with the universal mounting arms.

It appears that it will be fine and it certainly appears sturdy enough for a 5lb projector.

I would probably go with a mount designed for this projector.

I am still pretty impressed with this projector and the picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1341 Old 03-27-2010, 01:41 AM

Hey, another question, is the lamp part # for this unit really BL-FU185A as stated on the product info sheet? I'm seeing a couple other stores online listing it as "discontinued by manufacturer"....but if that's the right number, $175 to $200 seems VERY reasonable for a replacement lamp! I might pick one up as a spare.
**EDIT**...dang that search button is handy. Answered my own question, and I'll paste it below for others like myself:
Quote:
Originally Posted by defiancecp View Post

BUT I can confirm evolvo's "predictions" about Optoma spreading misinformation about lamp pricing missed the mark: beach camera has the lamp in stock for $169. overnight shipped is still 185 (though it was late, so I'm projectorless 'til tuesday (my projector is the pro350w, but both it and the hd66 use the BL-FU185A lamp)

I would still like to hear a few other people chime in on whether it takes their projectors a minute or two for the fan to kick in. I know I'm a little paranoid, but so far the only other guy who responded in the affirmative had his lamp blow out on him. However, if it turns out that it's like this for everyone, I'll rest a little easier.
post #453 of 1341 Old 03-27-2010, 02:06 AM

Matt - I will try to answer your question tonight when I get home. I don't pay much attention to it and never even hear it. I live in Oman and it's HOT so I have air conditioning units in each room that are MUCH louder than the little fan in the projector that people take issue with, something I just don't really understand.
post #454 of 1341 Old 03-27-2010, 03:01 AM

@ Intel..is the HD66 already available in oman?
post #455 of 1341 Old 03-27-2010, 05:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I'm very surprised that none of the HD66 owners that frequent this forum have actually bought one of these 3D BD players and tried it out. I'm pretty sure you can buy one from Best Buy and return it for a full refund if you had to. As long as you can get every penny back, why not buy one, and see if you can somehow get the thing to work?

If I owned a HD66, I would have already done it, and would be able to report back to everybody here. Unfortunately, I don't own a HD66, and I'm waiting on the sidelines trying to figure out if there is going to be any projector that I'm going to be able to afford this year that will let me watch ESPN 3D and 3D Blu Ray's, and play the 3D PS3 games that are coming with the summer firmware. It still remains to be a mystery!

No DLP-LINK glasses availability is what has held me up on that one. No reason to try it without them.
post #456 of 1341 Old 03-27-2010, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

If anyone is in my area (Arkansas) and wants to try anything out with dlp link glasses, I have a pair of x102 glasses here I can't use for a while. Not willing to sell them though, they were too darned hard to find!
post #457 of 1341 Old 03-27-2010, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

No DLP-LINK glasses availability is what has held me up on that one. No reason to try it without them.

Rumor has it, xpand is going to have a big sale on 3D glasses in June. Note the availability in the attached seems to confirm that June is the time to by DLP-link glasses.

http://www.xpandcinema.com/products/glasses/
post #458 of 1341 Old 03-27-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post

I would still like to hear a few other people chime in on whether it takes their projectors a minute or two for the fan to kick in. I know I'm a little paranoid, but so far the only other guy who responded in the affirmative had his lamp blow out on him. However, if it turns out that it's like this for everyone, I'll rest a little easier.

Yesterday I finally had a chance to watch my HD66 and out of curiosity listened with my ear next to it. So after I pushed ON button I heard nothing but faint buzz (color wheel?) while watching Optoma logo emerge on the screen, then blue screen (no input at that moment). Then I kicked in my PS3 and after some time heard that fan started to blow. So it does not kick in right away on by PJ either and I think it is normal.

Now a little report about some glitches and "undocumented features" I've got so far since I obtained the device 2 month ago.

I have PJ installed into pretty heavy, but moving stand (in fact it is kinda movable cocktail table, but with drawers and open shelf on top of them, so PJ is coveniently located around 16" above the floor). I needed stand like this as I need to move PJ 2 feet to center it against the center of screen (and the room) for watching and my wife said firm NO to any kind of ceiling mount in living room :-).
So when I want to watch my PJ I position my "media stand" in the right spot, fire PJ and focus it using built-in menu as a target. What I noticed is that after some time watching the PJ I discover that it is OUT OF FOCUS so I have to refocus it again. I have no idea what causes it, but is is 100% related to PJ warrmup, as nodody moves stand (and it is not easy) So if you
position and tune your PJ make sure you focus it after it worked for a while.

Another little glitch I came across was when I fired PS3 ahead of PJ when image came up I saw blue screen with "No Video input" icon which I do not use at all - HDMI only. When I pressed "HDMI input" I saw PS3 screen, but by some reason 1080p, although PS3 was configured 720p. What's worse, PJ screen got frozen after several seconds and I had to push HDMI button again to make it working. I use HDMI switch and I tried to flip input source back and forth but it did not help. Then I managed to get into Display settings of PS3 and disabled 1080p and 1080i. But the trick is that these modes were working before and were working when I pressed Test resolution button on PS3. It was only once so I really do not know who to blame for this - PS3, PJ or HDMI switch. But decided to stick to starting PJ first and PS3 next procedure.
Also when yesterday I inserted calibration DVD downloaded from AVS into PS3 at first attempt I got some crazy stripes across the screen with PJ briefly showing that it got some 2xxx by 10xx input as from some PC.
When I ejected DVD and inserted it back everything worked just fine.
Again I have no idea who to blame as it happened only once.
All I can say so far I had NO any permanent stable problems connecting PS3 or ATSC receiver to HD66 over HDMI switch and using 720p, 1080i or even 1080p resolution, although I mostly use 720p as it is native to this PJ.
post #459 of 1341 Old 03-27-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegMZ View Post

Yesterday I finally had a chance to watch my HD66 and out of curiosity listened with my ear next to it. So after I pushed ON button I heard nothing but faint buzz (color wheel?) while watching Optoma logo emerge on the screen, then blue screen (no input at that moment). Then I kicked in my PS3 and after some time heard that fan started to blow. So it does not kick in right away on by PJ either and I think it is normal.

THANKS so much, I appreciate that you took the time to do that. This is like no other projector I've ever owned in that regard, everything else I've had, the fan kicks on right away. I wonder what went into their decision to design it this way.

Thanks again! You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!
post #460 of 1341 Old 03-27-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post

A minute is about right. Didn't time it with a watch or anything.
post #461 of 1341 Old 03-27-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keema View Post

@ Intel..is the HD66 already available in oman?

Amazon. Got it like 8 days after I ordered. I was pretty shocked.
post #462 of 1341 Old 03-27-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel92 View Post

A minute is about right. Didn't time it with a watch or anything.

Thanks! Good deal. With the projected lamp life on these, combined with the REALLY low price of replacement lamps, and the low sticker price, this thing is almost too good to be true. As long as I don't end up one of the horror stories and have to RMA the thing
post #463 of 1341 Old 03-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Seems to be alot of knowledge of the Nvidia 3D Vision system here. Im trying to figure out if it will work with my projector.

I just got a DP Titan Reference 1080P 3D. I am feeding it with a Dual-Link DVI cable and I am properly displaying 1920 x 1080 @ 120Hz.

When I do the 3D Vision test it says my display is not supported but I dont have the #D Vision kit yet, just downloaded the software.

I have heard mutiple accounts of people using the "Analong CRT" option to get an unsupported diplay to work. From every account i can find, all of those are hooked up with a standard VGA cable.

Will I also get that option since my projector is connect with a Dual Link DVI cable?

The other option i read about was by removing to pins from the DVI cbale so that the computer could not receive any EDID data and then it would just think it is a generic CRT monitor.

Any ideas?
post #464 of 1341 Old 03-29-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
ccool, this was the thread I was refering to to over at f=86: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post18400036. Bumped it up for your convenience;-).
post #465 of 1341 Old 04-04-2010, 06:04 PM

I recently setup my media room with the help of this thread. Thought I would share my experience.

components purchased
HD66 - from amazon - $670
elite screen - 120'' diag - $160
3010 Ceiling bracket -44lb - from mono price - $17
4033 30ft HDMI 22AWG - from mono price - $31

1. Running wire from conduit -
The conduit had just 1'' diameter. So I could only fit hdmi cable through it. First, i tried pushing the wire, but I couldnt get it passed beyong a curve. So got fishing tape and lube from HD. Fishing tape didnt help much..as i couldnt hook hdmi properly to the tape. So I tried with lube..that worked after pushing it hard at the curve.

2. Measurements -

I looked at ProjectorCentral hd66 calculator to find the screen size and throw distance. To get 120'' diagnal ( 106'' X 58'' ) , I had to ceil mount PJ at 14.5ft from the screen.

I had to get 25'' ceiling bracket because the vertical distance between top of screen and lens is about 35''.

3. Hanging the screen -
Used a screw on one end that is drilled into a stud, and 75lb drywall anchor on other side. Leave about 8'' distance between screws and actual image top edge.

4. Hooking up PJ with mount -
I read I need M3 screws of 30mm, but I couldnt find them anywhere..finally i got couple of M3 20mm from Ace handware.
I removed 2 of the 3 projector height adjusting screws (i dont know what they are called..), and I hookedup mount as Y shape over the PJ ( 2 20mm screws, 1 8mm screw ).

5. Ceil mount PJ -
Used 2 screws to drill into a joist, and 2 75lb drywall anchors.

pardon me if i couldnt explain in proper words..tried my best..thanks.
post #466 of 1341 Old 04-04-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze20 View Post

I recently setup my media room with the help of this thread. Thought I would share my experience.

components purchased
HD66 - from amazon - $670
elite screen - 120'' diag - $160
3010 Ceiling bracket -44lb - from mono price - $17
4033 30ft HDMI 22AWG - from mono price - $31

1. Running wire from conduit -
The conduit had just 1'' diameter. So I could only fit hdmi cable through it. First, i tried pushing the wire, but I couldnt get it passed beyong a curve. So got fishing tape and lube from HD. Fishing tape didnt help much..as i couldnt hook hdmi properly to the tape. So I tried with lube..that worked after pushing it hard at the curve.

2. Measurements -

I looked at ProjectorCentral hd66 calculator to find the screen size and throw distance. To get 120'' diagnal ( 106'' X 58'' ) , I had to ceil mount PJ at 14.5ft from the screen.

I had to get 25'' ceiling bracket because the vertical distance between top of screen and lens is about 35''.

3. Hanging the screen -
Used a screw on one end that is drilled into a stud, and 75lb drywall anchor on other side. Leave about 8'' distance between screws and actual image top edge.

4. Hooking up PJ with mount -
I read I need M3 screws of 30mm, but I couldnt find them anywhere..finally i got couple of M3 20mm from Ace handware.
I removed 2 of the 3 projector height adjusting screws (i dont know what they are called..), and I hookedup mount as Y shape over the PJ ( 2 20mm screws, 1 8mm screw ).

5. Ceil mount PJ -
Used 2 screws to drill into a joist, and 2 75lb drywall anchors.

pardon me if i couldnt explain in proper words..tried my best..thanks.

Hey bro, where can I get an elite screen for $160?
post #467 of 1341 Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 AM

missed to mention..it was from Amazon. i bought white one.
Elite Screens Manual Pull Down Projection Screen, 16:9 Aspect Ratio-120in (Matte White)

now u can also get black one for $123..this was not on when i bought it.
Elite Screens Manual Pull Down Projection Screen, 16:9 Aspect Ratio-120in - Black (sorry no links allowed yet)
post #468 of 1341 Old 04-06-2010, 06:15 PM

Ok, so looking at placement and see that about 14.5 feet is where it needs to be for 120". So I go down and measure it out....CAN LIGHT!!!!!
post #469 of 1341 Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by local5o View Post

Ok, so looking at placement and see that about 14.5 feet is where it needs to be for 120". So I go down and measure it out....CAN LIGHT!!!!!

Take out the bulb... If it has a zoom you can probably move it forward or backward from there.
post #470 of 1341 Old 04-07-2010, 05:09 AM

SO with the HD66 would I be better at 13.5 feet or 15 feet?
post #471 of 1341 Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by local5o View Post

SO with the HD66 would I be better at 13.5 feet or 15 feet?

You will get a slightly brighter image mounting as close to the screen as possible for the given screen size, 13.5 ft. would be better for overall brightness. But frankly, the difference is so slight in my opinion, that you might want to consider other factors like seating. Do you want the projector right over your head, forward or behind you? Being straight overhead, you might hear the fan and color wheel more. If forward, you will notice the light beam on the ceiling more creating projector awareness. Behind you gives more of a theater experience. There are other factors as well, such as the closer the projector the wider the cone of light that will be reflected off the screen and is sometimes considered for opening up the viewing angle for screens with less or more than unity gain (gain of 1.0).
post #472 of 1341 Old 04-07-2010, 12:05 PM

Think I will put the outlet right behind the can light in the ceiling and then can mount either in front of or behind once I buy my PJ and mount.
post #473 of 1341 Old 04-08-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluePill View Post

Remember, You can Stack 2 regular 1080p projectors on top of each other
and set them up for 3D as well.. (2 HD20s for example)

Thats the dumest statement I've heard on here.
Don't you think if it were THAT simple, people would have been watching "HD3D" along time ago?
The theory behind what you say is good, but it's just not that simple.
Go to the movies, and part way thru the movie, take off yur glasses. You'll see that parts of the image are blurry, and parts are not so much. The less blurry parts seem less 3d, or in the foreground. The MORE blurry parts are the jump off the screen 3D parts.Seting up two projectors, will create a uniformly blurry image.
Not 3D.
That which makes an image 3D, lies in he source of the image, as well as the projector. You cant really have one without the other.
The new 3D tv's however, claim to "upgrade" your 2D stuff to "Near 3D". I'd like to see it myself...sounds pretty cool.
post #474 of 1341 Old 04-08-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjay View Post

Maybe I should ask this probably dumb question somewhere - please let me know.

Yesterday I saw "Avatar" in 3D - HATED the story/plot but was impressed with the 3D effect even though it is in its infancy.

THE QUESTION: Why can't they simply create a copy of the screen image that could be played on any regular TV or projector screen and retain the 3D effect if you wear the glasses? - In other words, if I had a HD camcorder in the commercial theater and shot the Avatar 3D right off the theater screen wouldn't I get pretty much the same effect on my home projector screen if I played my video while wearing the glasses?

Why de theater and home units require an expensive upgrade? Why can't they just replicate the image for playback on all legacy equipment?
Thanks

Nope! The projector has two lenses in it, and the glasses have polarized lenses. It's all about the angle that the light hits the screen.

When the image is projected on the screen, two images are projected. One for each eye. The glasses filter out part of the image for each eye ( so the left can only see the left image, and the right can only see the right. Your brain does the rest.
When you copy, record, film or take pictures of the 3D image, you turn it into one big blurry image, instead of an image that can be separated into 2 channels.
post #475 of 1341 Old 04-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipper123 View Post

Thats the dumest statement I've heard on here.
Don't you think if it were THAT simple, people would have been watching "HD3D" along time ago?
The theory behind what you say is good, but it's just not that simple.
Go to the movies, and part way thru the movie, take off yur glasses. You'll see that parts of the image are blurry, and parts are not so much. The less blurry parts seem less 3d, or in the foreground. The MORE blurry parts are the jump off the screen 3D parts.Seting up two projectors, will create a uniformly blurry image.
Not 3D.
That which makes an image 3D, lies in he source of the image, as well as the projector. You cant really have one without the other.
The new 3D tv's however, claim to "upgrade" your 2D stuff to "Near 3D". I'd like to see it myself...sounds pretty cool.

Perhaps you should read a bit before you start calling people "dum". He never said it would magically convert your source material, he simply stated that dual projectors was an option for a 3d display. And, having used dual projectors myself for a 3d display configuration for quite some time, I can assure you that it is. Each projector receives a distinct image (L/R), is shot through a passive filter (usually polarized), then wear the corresponding filtered glasses, and viola, 3d. not "uniformly blurry".

Calling someone "dum" is inadvisable enough when you're right; it's only worsened when your statement is dead wrong.
JDAstro likes this.
post #476 of 1341 Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 AM

Just got back last night from a trip to BB to see their two 3D television demos. The demos were conducted on a Panasonic 50 or 52" plasma and the other was a 46" Samsung LED. Both delivered bright clear 3D images without any flicker or ghosting noted. Both were using their own brand of 3D Blue Ray disc players (Panasonic and Samsung respectively) as source material. The Panasonic was showing material specifically made for the demo. The Samsung was showing a BD 3D copy of Monsters vs Aliens. I saw no appreciable difference in the quality of the two images other than the Panasonic might have been slightly brighter with higher contrast. The obnoxious sales person that was there was telling me what a great buy of $2600 to $2956 (BB pricing) without glasses that they were. So I did not get time for a thorough sit down analysis of the image from each system. Best thing is to go yourself to an electronic store that is showing 3D television and get your own demo. Glasses were $199 each (BB pricing) for the re-chargeables.

The sales person did say that Sony's unit is expected out in July probably using the PS3 as the source 3D BD system

Of course they had no knowledge of any 3D projectors that might be available and did not know if the glasses used DLP link for the sync. The glasses looked like they got the sync from the television as a small window was on the front of each pair. Brochures were not available on either brand so maybe you could get more technical information on-line.

Since I am a proud projector owner of an HD70 and thinking about upgrading to a HD66 I was really missing the big screen effect that you get with projectors in a good dark environment by watching these two "small screen" units. IF I could get a great 3D image with the HD66 on a 106" screen there would be no contest as to what was more impressive IMO.

This demo only whetted my appetite for 3D television and the great material that is obviously on the horizon (BD movies, sports Espn, and DirecTV has announced three 3D channels available by the latter part of this year). So someone with a fat budget please obtain some 3D glasses and experiment with the HD66 3D effect and report back here for all of us to gain knowledge. (I am retired with a limited budget but a very interested participant).
post #477 of 1341 Old 04-10-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFAN007 View Post

Just got back last night from a trip to BB to see their two 3D television demos. The demos were conducted on a Panasonic 50 or 52" plasma and the other was a 46" Samsung LED. Both delivered bright clear 3D images without any flicker or ghosting noted. Both were using their own brand of 3D Blue Ray disc players (Panasonic and Samsung respectively) as source material. The Panasonic was showing material specifically made for the demo. The Samsung was showing a BD 3D copy of Monsters vs Aliens. I saw no appreciable difference in the quality of the two images other than the Panasonic might have been slightly brighter with higher contrast. The obnoxious sales person that was there was telling me what a great buy of $2600 to $2956 (BB pricing) without glasses that they were. So I did not get time for a thorough sit down analysis of the image from each system. Best thing is to go yourself to an electronic store that is showing 3D television and get your own demo. Glasses were $199 each (BB pricing) for the re-chargeables.

The sales person did say that Sony's unit is expected out in July probably using the PS3 as the source 3D BD system

Of course they had no knowledge of any 3D projectors that might be available and did not know if the glasses used DLP link for the sync. The glasses looked like they got the sync from the television as a small window was on the front of each pair. Brochures were not available on either brand so maybe you could get more technical information on-line.

Since I am a proud projector owner of an HD70 and thinking about upgrading to a HD66 I was really missing the big screen effect that you get with projectors in a good dark environment by watching these two "small screen" units. IF I could get a great 3D image with the HD66 on a 106" screen there would be no contest as to what was more impressive IMO.

This demo only whetted my appetite for 3D television and the great material that is obviously on the horizon (BD movies, sports Espn, and DirecTV has announced three 3D channels available by the latter part of this year). So someone with a fat budget please obtain some 3D glasses and experiment with the HD66 3D effect and report back here for all of us to gain knowledge. (I am retired with a limited budget but a very interested participant).

The Optoma HD66 is not currently compatible with 3D Broadcasts or 3D Blu-Ray but a firmware upgrade for the HD66 is to be made available within the next 2 months to make it fully compatible with both. This information was emailed to me by a Optoma Service agent after my asking the question to them, as I bought mine for use with Sky 3D and 3D Blu-ray. So I think the only material to test the HD66 is with PC based material at present.
post #478 of 1341 Old 04-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Wow, that would be awesme news, but it contradicts what is on their web site and what I've been told by optoma reps... Doesn't surprise me, though, first time I called the rep I spoke to didn't seem to know that this line of projectors existed. Hopefully the one you spoke to knew what they were talking about, because that would be awesome news
Oh, and hopefully it'll disable the "force DLP Link @ 120hz" thing too
post #479 of 1341 Old 04-10-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydoy View Post

The Optoma HD66 is not currently compatible with 3D Broadcasts or 3D Blu-Ray but a firmware upgrade for the HD66 is to be made available within the next 2 months to make it fully compatible with both. This information was emailed to me by a Optoma Service agent after my asking the question to them, as I bought mine for use with Sky 3D and 3D Blu-ray. So I think the only material to test the HD66 is with PC based material at present.

I have a couple questions about this projector. I will be using it primary for movies and sports.

1. To watch 3d it has to be hooked up to a PC, I plan on using a HTPC for this, anything special I need to know?
2. Can I watch LIVE TV in 3d if it is being broadcast? You said there should be an update that will allow this? So I could watch live sports in 3d then correct?
3. Do you think any 1080p 3d projectors will come out this year under $1500? How is the picture quality of this projector? I currently have a Samsung 1080 52inch LCD that has a great picture.
post #480 of 1341 Old 04-10-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiancecp View Post

Wow, that would be awesme news, but it contradicts what is on their web site and what I've been told by optoma reps... Doesn't surprise me, though, first time I called the rep I spoke to didn't seem to know that this line of projectors existed. Hopefully the one you spoke to knew what they were talking about, because that would be awesome news
Oh, and hopefully it'll disable the "force DLP Link @ 120hz" thing too

Depends which Optoma you spoke to. If you spoke to Optoma in the UK or Europe, they don't know anything about the HD66, my email came from the Senior Customer Service Manager/Tech Support at Optoma USA, exact words:

"Hi, There will be a firmware upgrade available to make the HD66 3D compatible with Blu-ray and 3D broadcast. The firmware should become available in a month or two. You can check the website for updates."

This is what I received from Optoma on Wednesday 7th April 2010.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page