Optoma HD66 - First 3D home theatre/gaming projector - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #541 of 1341 Old 05-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Member
 
silbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by silbenny View Post

Has anyone tried any of the monoprice mount (item # 5466) for this projector?

So I ended up getting the mount as described above. Actually really like this mount. Very versatile and only needed to purchase one M3 1" bolt from home depot. It took some puzzle solving but I got the mount to fit the ridiculous placements of mounting holes on the projector (someone enlighten me why this is). Anyways, attached are some pics of the mount. btw the larger piece of cardboard in the first two pics are not required- forgot to remove it.

Now that I have my projector hooked up to a long HDMI cable and component cable for the Wii, I need a longer power cord. I really don't have a good idea what to buy. I am looking at the following one- any suggestions?

http://http://www.infinitecables.com/pop-usa/pw-105sh.htm
LL
LL
LL
LL
silbenny is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #542 of 1341 Old 05-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Member
 
Mitsu52Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cullman, Al
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:



Now that I have my projector hooked up to a long HDMI cable and component cable for the Wii, I need a longer power cord. I really don't have a good idea what to buy. I am looking at the following one- any suggestions?

http://http://www.infinitecables.com/pop-usa/pw-105sh.htm

No worries with infinite Cables. I've bought over 300 cables from them on a big project I'm doing.
Mitsu52Guy is offline  
post #543 of 1341 Old 05-09-2010, 05:59 AM
Newbie
 
Spartans1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally was able to mount my HD66 yesterday. With the layout I had it was quite the challenge. I now have close to a 120" diagonal screen currently painted with 2 coats of Kilz.

It looks fantastic so far and I have done nothing with the settings or calibration yet. I was quite impressed with the PS3 and this will bring gaming to a new level.

The Dish through HDMI made Nascar look great and so were the Redwings, even though they lost.

Today I will put on the top coats of Valspar w/polyarcrylic and run some calibrations. Now all I need will be my new 25ft cables and HDMI switch to show up on Monday from monoprice to clean the place up.
Spartans1 is offline  
post #544 of 1341 Old 05-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Member
 
Mitsu52Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cullman, Al
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartans1 View Post

I finally was able to mount my HD66 yesterday. With the layout I had it was quite the challenge. I now have close to a 120" diagonal screen currently painted with 2 coats of Kilz.

It looks fantastic so far and I have done nothing with the settings or calibration yet. I was quite impressed with the PS3 and this will bring gaming to a new level.

The Dish through HDMI made Nascar look great and so were the Redwings, even though they lost.

Today I will put on the top coats of Valspar w/polyarcrylic and run some calibrations. Now all I need will be my new 25ft cables and HDMI switch to show up on Monday from monoprice to clean the place up.

Can you elaborate on how you built you screen or point me in the direction of the thread you gleamed the info from?
Mitsu52Guy is offline  
post #545 of 1341 Old 05-09-2010, 07:11 AM
Newbie
 
Spartans1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You will want to read the post on beginners delight. This has all the info you will need.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1169535
Spartans1 is offline  
post #546 of 1341 Old 05-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Newbie
 
Spartans1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ran some calibrations (THX) but I think I went to far. Things seem blurry and I noticed I could see some horizontal lines in the picture. The lines are only there on certain shows(animated) and when they are moving. I also noticed while watching Cars that when things are panning from one scene to another it becomes what I would consider blurry and looks like lag. I do not see any issues with the PS3 games or BR movies.

Any idea on what I am seeing and how to fix it?
Spartans1 is offline  
post #547 of 1341 Old 05-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Member
 
Mitsu52Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cullman, Al
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can I ask what people are using to calculate their throw and offset for this projector. I read somewhere that the calculator on Optoma's site isn't accurate. I think I read that over at projectioncenterl.com but can't find it now. Optoma gave me 12.0 ft - 13.2 ft (3.67 m - 4.03 m) for a 110" diagonal and Projectioncentral gave me a throw of 13'6"-14'11". That's a pretty big difference. So I'd like to know who's using what.
Mitsu52Guy is offline  
post #548 of 1341 Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Newbie
 
Spartans1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am no help on the throw as I have a beam that runs through the middle of my room and I had to do some not so ordinary tricks to make it work
Spartans1 is offline  
post #549 of 1341 Old 05-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Member
 
dajaga007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu52Guy View Post

Can I ask what people are using to calculate their throw and offset for this projector. I read somewhere that the calculator on Optoma's site isn't accurate. I think I read that over at projectioncenterl.com but can't find it now. Optoma gave me 12.0 ft - 13.2 ft (3.67 m - 4.03 m) for a 110" diagonal and Projectioncentral gave me a throw of 13'6"-14'11". That's a pretty big difference. So I'd like to know who's using what.

for a 100inch screen optoma website gave me 11.3-12.3ft and i placed it at around 11.8ft and it fits perfectly
dajaga007 is offline  
post #550 of 1341 Old 05-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Member
 
gregguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi, just finished painting black widow on sintra. i think i made it a little darker by accident though. With my ambient light, still looks washed out. at night id does look pretty good but still needs tweaking. can someone steer me on how to calibtrate for a grey screen, where to find calibration tools, everything. i know nothing about this. the settings for a white scteen must be different for a grey one right? any advice would be greatly appreciated as i am sure this pj is capable of showing a much better picture.i.m still using factory settings in user 2 thanks to all of you who take the time to help others out. cheers.
gregguy is offline  
post #551 of 1341 Old 05-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Member
 
Mr Build-it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Shingletown, Ca.
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Been a member of this site for years, have only posted in one thread recently concerning my original projector..

I read through the first 9 or 10 pages f this thread, and gave up.. Lot's of activity on this PJ...

I will keep it fairly simple... I have a BenQ PB6200 I bought in 2004, that is on it's 3rd bulb.. It died of the dreaded bad cap problem that seems to be happening to almost all of these things now... I will try to replace the cap and put the PJ back together but will likely have the same results as most who have suffered this malady.. white screen...

So, I am cautiously looking around at other PJs since I have a room dedicated as a home theater (I designed it into the floor plan when I built the house)....

Due to the economy, I am 'extremely' tight on cash and need to get bang for my buck, and make the rigt choice the first time..

I was happy with the BenQ, although it was showing signs of age... I had it placed about 11.5' from my screen at a lens height of about 8'.. the screen is a 78" wide 4:3 daylite... (you guys that have issues with overspill should consider just getting a 4:3, as it has al the vertical room and more that you need for 16:9 or 16:10 and you can just pull it down as far as you need it, and even mask the top if the extra real estate at the top bugs you)..

I had some problems with off axis viewing with the projector/screen combo as it was only nice and bright when you were 'standing'.. I put the seats on a raised platform which helped some, but still had significant dimming of the picture when sitting or standing to the side....

The house is bright, with the single window in the the theater being covered by the screen when pulled down.. shades behind the screen helped kill the morning sun behind the screen.. I used the theater primarily in the afternoon and evening so the window was not an issue...

The room has french doors that open to a brigt living room, and I like to leave them open even when watching sports or what not in the theater... mainly, a light over the kitchen sink was al that caused slight spill problems on the screen, and I just turned it off...

Anyways, after all that background info, I am interested in this projector because of the price point, the 'brightness', and the possibility of '3D'.. After getting a demo of the samsung 3D flatscreen at my local best buy, and being blown away by that, I would love to have this capability at home to one degree or another...

So seeing as I was unable to finish reading the thread (way too long), forgive me if some of these questions have already been answered..

1) As far as overall picture and resolution, will I be 'happier' (or at least 'as happy') as I was with the older BenQ pb6200?

2) Never calibrated a projector.. I'm a techy kind of guy, so learning how would be nice.. Is this something that is easily learned if I were to buy or borrow one of the popular calibration DVDs?

3) considering my issues with off axis viewing, was this more an issue of my screen and placement, or was it the projector? And will the increased brightness of this projector help in that regards?

4)Will the projector 'throw' be an issue in this room with my screen and given distances? I can get a 'few more inches' but not a lot if needed.. I would like to get the full 78" width...

5) Considering that the last post I read in this thread was mid feb, and that bestbuy appears to have 3D DVD players for sale, has anyone checked this projector out with the players? Or is it a different technology for the samsung player that wil not work on this PJ? IOW, has there been any advancement or answers on the questions being bantered about in feb in this regard?

6) I currently use a 50' VGA cable with a component breakout to send the signal from my AV receiver to the PJ... Am I correct in assuming that I will need a similar HDMI cable to send he 3D stuff, and that I will also likely not be able to use component signals through my AV receiver with this for 3D sources such as DVD players or DTV receivers?

7) considering my needs, what do you guys think? Should I be looking at other PJs? No way I can afford anything more expensive.. I'll have to sell the farm just to get this one...

Is everyone still happy with this projector? I thought I got good pre-purchase advice from the forums in this website before I bought the BenQ... Hoping for the same this time... Granted, that was a much more expensive PJ, but I'm hoping that technology in this area has advanced to bring similar or better quality down to the budget price ranges (where I'm currently forced to shop at)...

Anyways, forgive me if I am asking questions you have already answered.. After 9-10 pages, I just couldn't take any more.... LOL

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Mr Build-it is offline  
post #552 of 1341 Old 05-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Member
 
Mitsu52Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cullman, Al
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Build-it View Post

Hello,

Been a member of this site for years, have only posted in one thread recently concerning my original projector..

I read through the first 9 or 10 pages f this thread, and gave up.. Lot's of activity on this PJ...

I will keep it fairly simple... I have a BenQ PB6200 I bought in 2004, that is on it's 3rd bulb.. It died of the dreaded bad cap problem that seems to be happening to almost all of these things now... I will try to replace the cap and put the PJ back together but will likely have the same results as most who have suffered this malady.. white screen...

So, I am cautiously looking around at other PJs since I have a room dedicated as a home theater (I designed it into the floor plan when I built the house)....

Due to the economy, I am 'extremely' tight on cash and need to get bang for my buck, and make the rigt choice the first time..

I was happy with the BenQ, although it was showing signs of age... I had it placed about 11.5' from my screen at a lens height of about 8'.. the screen is a 78" wide 4:3 daylite... (you guys that have issues with overspill should consider just getting a 4:3, as it has al the vertical room and more that you need for 16:9 or 16:10 and you can just pull it down as far as you need it, and even mask the top if the extra real estate at the top bugs you)..

I had some problems with off axis viewing with the projector/screen combo as it was only nice and bright when you were 'standing'.. I put the seats on a raised platform which helped some, but still had significant dimming of the picture when sitting or standing to the side....

The house is bright, with the single window in the the theater being covered by the screen when pulled down.. shades behind the screen helped kill the morning sun behind the screen.. I used the theater primarily in the afternoon and evening so the window was not an issue...

The room has french doors that open to a brigt living room, and I like to leave them open even when watching sports or what not in the theater... mainly, a light over the kitchen sink was al that caused slight spill problems on the screen, and I just turned it off...

Anyways, after all that background info, I am interested in this projector because of the price point, the 'brightness', and the possibility of '3D'.. After getting a demo of the samsung 3D flatscreen at my local best buy, and being blown away by that, I would love to have this capability at home to one degree or another...

So seeing as I was unable to finish reading the thread (way too long), forgive me if some of these questions have already been answered..

1) As far as overall picture and resolution, will I be 'happier' (or at least 'as happy') as I was with the older BenQ pb6200?

2) Never calibrated a projector.. I'm a techy kind of guy, so learning how would be nice.. Is this something that is easily learned if I were to buy or borrow one of the popular calibration DVDs?

3) considering my issues with off axis viewing, was this more an issue of my screen and placement, or was it the projector? And will the increased brightness of this projector help in that regards?

4)Will the projector 'throw' be an issue in this room with my screen and given distances? I can get a 'few more inches' but not a lot if needed.. I would like to get the full 78" width...

5) Considering that the last post I read in this thread was mid feb, and that bestbuy appears to have 3D DVD players for sale, has anyone checked this projector out with the players? Or is it a different technology for the samsung player that wil not work on this PJ? IOW, has there been any advancement or answers on the questions being bantered about in feb in this regard?

6) I currently use a 50' VGA cable with a component breakout to send the signal from my AV receiver to the PJ... Am I correct in assuming that I will need a similar HDMI cable to send he 3D stuff, and that I will also likely not be able to use component signals through my AV receiver with this for 3D sources such as DVD players or DTV receivers?

7) considering my needs, what do you guys think? Should I be looking at other PJs? No way I can afford anything more expensive.. I'll have to sell the farm just to get this one...

Is everyone still happy with this projector? I thought I got good pre-purchase advice from the forums in this website before I bought the BenQ... Hoping for the same this time... Granted, that was a much more expensive PJ, but I'm hoping that technology in this area has advanced to bring similar or better quality down to the budget price ranges (where I'm currently forced to shop at)...

Anyways, forgive me if I am asking questions you have already answered.. After 9-10 pages, I just couldn't take any more.... LOL

Thanks in advance,
Mark

I can't comment on a lot, as I'm new to this arena. I can say this about 3D. If that's what you are looking for as a selling point I suggest holding off. The waters are very muddy on what the future for this projector holds with respect to 3D. Depending on who you talk too it will only work for 3D gaming or it will, at some point in time in the future, be able to support 3D blu-ray or some other non gaming source but not today.

I called their tech support yesterday and was told that it only supports 3D gaming or there are no plans to change that. Others have called and gotten different answers. My guess is that if I call today, I might get a different answer as well. I'm not sure Optoma knows what they can do or want to do with respect to this projector and 3D. Throw that on top of the fact that unlike the HD65, there's no sevice port on the HD66. Many have said a firmware upgrade could be done via the RS-232 port. Yeah I guess it could, but what engineer or company with plans to upgrade firmware in a device would take that port off an "upgraded" device.

That being said, I like mine a lot. I'm moving in a couple weeks to a home that has a dedicated media room. I can't wait to see what it looks like in there. I can tell you at night in my current living room, a 115" diag. picture thrown against an eggshell white painted wall looks great. And that's a wall that hasn't been painted in a lot of years. We watched the last part of SW Ep II a few nights ago (Yoda saber dual) and it was everything I had hoped for. I have no doubt that once I figure out paint vs. screen, the right size screen, etc, that it will be the center point of our home for years to come. I have 5 kids, and going to the movies is costly. A HT will pay for itself in a couple years. Hope this helped.
Mitsu52Guy is offline  
post #553 of 1341 Old 05-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Member
 
Mr Build-it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Shingletown, Ca.
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your reply...

The 3D thing is not the 'primary' selling point, but it is a selling point.. How much of a factor it is, depends on how much it can do in that arena.. I am not too interested in gaming at this point in my life.... However, I do audio production, and I will probably ask whatever projector I use to operate as an extended desktop for my production computer at some point (Apple based).. But pretty much any projector will do what I need in that arena....

What I am 'most' concerned with, is how it compares to the PJ I am replacing with it (BenQ PB6200).. especially in how it deals with overall picture quality (same or better?), and the ambient light and off axis issues I was dealing with using the BenQ....

I am interested in how this PJ stacks up in it's price range as a home theater projector (I use satellite HDTV), or if there are better choices for me...

The 3D thing ranks towards the bottom of the list in factors of importance... However, overall picture quality, brightness, black levels, and replacement bulb cost are factors that rank very high on that same list.....
Mr Build-it is offline  
post #554 of 1341 Old 05-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Member
 
Mr Build-it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Shingletown, Ca.
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another way I should ask this question perhaps.... Is there a PJ, that is cheaper yet than this one to be considered, that I would find to be comparable or better than the one I am replacing?

I really like what I am hearing about the brightness and bulb cost of this one.... So that is the primary things I am sold on.. But I first need to know how it compares to the one I have... well other than the fact that it actually turns on, and the one I have doesn't.. LOL
Mr Build-it is offline  
post #555 of 1341 Old 05-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Member
 
Mitsu52Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cullman, Al
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Build-it View Post

Another way I should ask this question perhaps.... Is there a PJ, that is cheaper yet than this one to be considered, that I would find to be comparable or better than the one I am replacing?

I really like what I am hearing about the brightness and bulb cost of this one.... So that is the primary things I am sold on.. But I first need to know how it compares to the one I have... well other than the fact that it actually turns on, and the one I have doesn't.. LOL

I think the only way you'll find out how it compares is:
1. Look strickly at specifications, or
2. Get one and try it out.

Even if someone else has your old one and has upgraded to this new one, it's not on your screen in your room with your eye viewing content you like to view. To an extent projection tv is a leap of faith. Know what I mean Vern!!
Mitsu52Guy is offline  
post #556 of 1341 Old 05-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Member
 
Mr Build-it's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Shingletown, Ca.
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I understand that I can just impulse buy a projector as if I was made of money... as far as specs go, I do not have the time or patience to go out and amass a list of every projector out there and compare all their specs... My compulsions lie elsewhere.. But there are those 'here' who have done exactly that.. So I seek to take advantage of their compulsion.. I am more than happy to let them (or anyone else for that matter) take advantage of mine in return.... It's a pay it forward kind of deal..... :-)

Okay.. Let me put it another way.. Seeing as there are those here in this thread that seem to 'review' PJs, and as well as others that seem to enjoy spending oodles of their time investigating this stuff, I thought I'd put all those hours of hard research to good use..

Minus the 3D thing, are there any other projectors out there at this price point or less, that offer similar or better quality in regards to resolution, brightness, black levels, etc...?

Have I found the bang for buck pot of gold for under $700 projectors, or should I keep looking?
Mr Build-it is offline  
post #557 of 1341 Old 05-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Senior Member
 
spacecowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Dirty South
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Build-it View Post

Yes, I understand that I can just impulse buy a projector as if I was made of money... as far as specs go, I do not have the time or patience to go out and amass a list of every projector out there and compare all their specs... My compulsions lie elsewhere.. But there are those 'here' who have done exactly that.. So I seek to take advantage of their compulsion.. I am more than happy to let them (or anyone else for that matter) take advantage of mine in return.... It's a pay it forward kind of deal..... :-)

Okay.. Let me put it another way.. Seeing as there are those here in this thread that seem to 'review' PJs, and as well as others that seem to enjoy spending oodles of their time investigating this stuff, I thought I'd put all those hours of hard research to good use..

Minus the 3D thing, are there any other projectors out there at this price point or less, that offer similar or better quality in regards to resolution, brightness, black levels, etc...?

Have I found the bang for buck pot of gold for under $700 projectors, or should I keep looking?

I am somewhat in the same boat as you, and I have been researching like mad for approaching 2 weeks now. As far as I've seen, the HD66 is in a class by itself as far as bang for the buck. There is an Acer out there with similar specs and 3D-ready, but bad reviews. I will be ordering the HD66 tonight for $650 unless there's a lower price out there right now. If so, please PM me to help me save some cash. Thanks.

"Excuse me...What does God need with a Starship?" (Captain Kirk - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
spacecowboy is offline  
post #558 of 1341 Old 05-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Member
 
fordcrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I have tried 2 monoprice 4x2 hdmi switches, both work great with my plasma in my master bedroom, and both work so, so with my projector and ps3. I got a 6415 and a 6416. With the projector and ps3 the 6416 switches to blue screen and searching for signal anytime the video mode on the ps3 changes mode, which is quite often. on the 6415 it stays pretty stable, but the switch has to be the last thing powered on, so if the ps3/apple/360 or dtvbox get cut off, you have to power it off and back on before it sends output to the projector. ;-(

Anyone had better luck with some other by 2 switch? I wanted 2 outputs so I could send the output to my bedroom, just incase I wanted to start a movie with the projector and finish it up in the bedroom, but I guess a splitter could work also. Man it pisses me off they put this drm/security crap on these things, it keeps almost nobody from pirating anything they want, but sure screws us consumers.
fordcrews is offline  
post #559 of 1341 Old 05-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Member
 
Mitsu52Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cullman, Al
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Build-it View Post

Minus the 3D thing, are there any other projectors out there at this price point or less, that offer similar or better quality in regards to resolution, brightness, black levels, etc...??

As far as I can tell from the research I've done, No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Build-it View Post

Have I found the bang for buck pot of gold for under $700 projectors, or should I keep looking?

For under 700, this is the projector to get IMO.
Mitsu52Guy is offline  
post #560 of 1341 Old 05-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Member
 
Eldave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking at the screenshots of the HD66, and elsewhere on this site the shots of the HD65, I have to say the HD65 shots look much better to me (colors really pop, blacks look great, super sharp... but particularly the colors are stunning in the HD65 shots). I understand you can't judge a proj. by screenshots especially when taken by different people, so I'm interested in hearing from any people who have owned both projectors. Does the HD66 pic look dull compared to the HD65, or are they different in any way besides brightness? Or would you say the HD66 has just as much pop? Or more?? Thanks!
Eldave is offline  
post #561 of 1341 Old 05-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Member
 
matt314159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldave View Post

Looking at the screenshots of the HD66, and elsewhere on this site the shots of the HD65, I have to say the HD65 shots look much better to me (colors really pop, blacks look great, super sharp... but particularly the colors are stunning in the HD65 shots). I understand you can't judge a proj. by screenshots especially when taken by different people, so I'm interested in hearing from any people who have owned both projectors. Does the HD66 pic look dull compared to the HD65, or are they different in any way besides brightness? Or would you say the HD66 has just as much pop? Or more?? Thanks!

I feel qualified to take this one on, having owned both the HD65 and now the HD66. I use my projector for a 16'x9' outdoor blackout cloth movie screen.

As you alluded to, comparing screenshots is really impossible unless you can guarantee that the shots were taken with the same camera using the same manual settings. some things that affect the image on screenshots are the automatic white balance (AWB), the metering, the exposure settings, the amount of internal sharpening the camera does, the list goes on and on. So unless you were to use a DSLR with all manual settings, shot in RAW mode, you really can't use screen shots as a comparison.

ANYWAY having said that, I think with a little tweaking, the HD66 looks every bit as good as my HD65 did, and it's noticeably brighter as well. The image really does "pop" on both projectors. Comparing specs alone, (2500 vs 1600 lumens) the HD66 is more than 50% brighter, but by visual comparison, I'd say it really only looks maybe 20% brighter than I remember the HD65 being.

Some other things to consider is that the HD65 lamp lasts 2,000/3,000 hrs in bright/std mode, respectively, and still (to my knowledge) costs $250-$300 to replace. The HD66 lamp lasts 3,000/4,000 hrs in bright/std mode, and only costs between $160 and $200 to replace when it does go out. So over the life of the projector, its operating costs are lower.

JMHO on all of this, but I'd definitely go with the HD66 over the HD65, ceteris paribus. Now, if the HD66 were $700 and the HD65 were $500, then I'd start to waffle and think about going for the cheaper projector, because unless you really need more light, the HD65 is a damn fine unit. But the HD66 matches it in just about every way as far as I'm concerned.
matt314159 is offline  
post #562 of 1341 Old 05-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Member
 
Eldave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great, thanks!! That's exactly what I was wondering. Now I know to forego the HD65 as a replacement for my H31 (unless as you say, I find the HD65 dirt cheap).
Eldave is offline  
post #563 of 1341 Old 05-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Member
 
matt314159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by consciousness View Post

Here are the settings i used for the PS3 setup for now until i get hold of a colorimeter and do the grayscale properly.

PROJECTOR

IMAGE
Display Mode: User 1
Brightness: 48
Contrast: 45
Sharpness: 7
Saturation: 47
Tint: 49
Advanced
Degamma: PC ( Seems to give those inky blacks w/out sacrificing detail combined with other settings)
Brilliant Color: 5
Color Temp: Warm
Color
Red Gain: 4
Green Gain: 0
Blue Gain: -5
Red Bias: -2
Green Bias: -2
Blue Bias: -2
Color Space: YUV

DISPLAY
Format: Native
Screen Type: 16x9

OPTIONS
Lamp Settings: STD

PS3

DISPLAY SETTINGS
HDMI 720p
RGB Full Range: On
Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI): On

VIDEO SETTINGS

BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI): Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr
BD 1080p 24 Hz Output (HDMI): On

Last but not least some screen shots from King Kong BD 720p. Enjoy!

P.S. Hope this was helpful as i have benefited much from all the members on AVS.

Has anybody had this properly calibrated yet to independently verify or update these settings that were shared early on in the thread? I've been using them (with the exception of changing the brightness/contrast to my liking) and I think they're pretty good, but I'd be curious to see just how close they really are to ideal.
matt314159 is offline  
post #564 of 1341 Old 05-25-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JonStatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I may be understanding wrongly, but the Samsung 3D BD player, can output 3D at 720p 120Hz in frame sequential format. This is what any of the DLP 3D projectors need as an input signal to work with DLP link glasses (like the Xpand 102)

This is different to the Panasonic 3D blu-ray player which can only output at 1080p at 120Hz.

At least thats what it looks like from the specifications in the Samsung manual (it says 3D 1080p/720p at the back). But on the other hand the manual may be misleading.

Has anyone actually tried a Samsung BD player with this or any other 3D ready DLP link projector?
JonStatt is online now  
post #565 of 1341 Old 05-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Member
 
Mitsu52Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cullman, Al
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

I may be understanding wrongly, but the Samsung 3D BD player, can output 3D at 720p 120Hz in frame sequential format. This is what any of the DLP 3D projectors need as an input signal to work with DLP link glasses (like the Xpand 102)

This is different to the Panasonic 3D blu-ray player which can only output at 1080p at 120Hz.

At least thats what it looks like from the specifications in the Samsung manual (it says 3D 1080p/720p at the back). But on the other hand the manual may be misleading.

Has anyone actually tried a Samsung BD player with this or any other 3D ready DLP link projector?


This projector is only set up right now to output 3D for games via Nvidia. There's a lot of talk on whether or not Optoma will release a firmware to allow 3D video viewing, but nothing firm has been released. I can only hope and pray they do
Mitsu52Guy is offline  
post #566 of 1341 Old 05-25-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JonStatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu52Guy View Post

This projector is only set up right now to output 3D for games via Nvidia. There's a lot of talk on whether or not Optoma will release a firmware to allow 3D video viewing, but nothing firm has been released. I can only hope and pray they do

Well you say that..and thats what people have written earlier in this thread. But 720p 120Hz frame sequential IS what the nVidia drivers output. So I am trying to understand what is different for the Samsung output vs the nVidia one if both of them are 720p 120Hz frame sequential. It is possible that the Samsung isn't outputting what is indicated in the manual however as I have no access to one of these players.

As for sync'ing the glasses...the sync for the xPand X102 glasses is actually inserted by any DLP 3D ready projector automatically...no IR emitter required.

I know Optoma say it is not compatible with 3D blu-ray players, but that is because all of the players output slightly different formats (along with full 1080p/120Hz) and they would have to try each one and see if it works..which of course they probably woudln't do.
JonStatt is online now  
post #567 of 1341 Old 05-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Newbie
 
TVDEGEO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I am trying to calibrate my new projector but i cannot get the image to look right. My bright colors(reds, yellows, oranges) looks to hideous; i mean they look too distorted.

I am getting this ready for the World Cup.

I have try the settings above but no luck. Can anyone post your image settings? I would really appreciate it.
TVDEGEO is offline  
post #568 of 1341 Old 05-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
defiancecp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

Well you say that..and thats what people have written earlier in this thread. But 720p 120Hz frame sequential IS what the nVidia drivers output. So I am trying to understand what is different for the Samsung output vs the nVidia one if both of them are 720p 120Hz frame sequential. It is possible that the Samsung isn't outputting what is indicated in the manual however as I have no access to one of these players.

As for sync'ing the glasses...the sync for the xPand X102 glasses is actually inserted by any DLP 3D ready projector automatically...no IR emitter required.

I know Optoma say it is not compatible with 3D blu-ray players, but that is because all of the players output slightly different formats (along with full 1080p/120Hz) and they would have to try each one and see if it works..which of course they probably woudln't do.


Agreed - the display doesn't know anything about the source other than the format of the video. If the bluray player mentioned will send the necessary format without an hdmi 1.4 handshake, then it will work, regardless of what type of source material it is.

$350 is still a bit steep for me though, so I won't be testing that - especially since I already have a bluray drive and plan to play from an htpc... I'm more interested in ps3 compatibility
defiancecp is offline  
post #569 of 1341 Old 05-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Member
 
Mitsu52Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cullman, Al
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

I may be understanding wrongly, but the Samsung 3D BD player, can output 3D at 720p 120Hz in frame sequential format. This is what any of the DLP 3D projectors need as an input signal to work with DLP link glasses (like the Xpand 102)

This is different to the Panasonic 3D blu-ray player which can only output at 1080p at 120Hz.

At least thats what it looks like from the specifications in the Samsung manual (it says 3D 1080p/720p at the back). But on the other hand the manual may be misleading.

Has anyone actually tried a Samsung BD player with this or any other 3D ready DLP link projector?

Which samsung player are you looking at?
Mitsu52Guy is offline  
post #570 of 1341 Old 06-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Member
 
fordcrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Darn, not compatible with direct tv 3d, got software upgrade, get message, your tv is not 3d capable. ;-(
fordcrews is offline  
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off